Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

err posted:

I've been wanting to play roguelikes. Any thoughts on these? They all seem good, but wondering if I should cut one.

Rift Wizard
Path of Achra
Caves of Qud

It's an old one but can I recommend Dungeons of Dredmor?
A classic that everyone should experience.
Also Nthing Caves of Qud - it's really magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Hitler is about to be my F.R.I.E.N.D.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Koburn posted:

Hitler is about to be my F.R.I.E.N.D.

Facist i'd Really lIke to shoot in the facEND

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So is Hitler now an anime girl?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Leal posted:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Leal posted:

I’m concerned by the implication of ‘unforeseen’ that Hitler was always an anime girl

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
I know Jossar was joking but I would play the poo poo out of Max Rebo Gets the Band Back Together

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shuka posted:

I know Jossar was joking but I would play the poo poo out of Max Rebo Gets the Band Back Together

Obviously it should be a GTA-like but instead of wanted stars it's a big hollow "JIZZ" in the style of Chicago's logo that fills in as you attract more unwanted Imperial attention

Possibly I am a child

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Shuka posted:

Task succeeded in failure, then.

Of course, I'm sure SOMEONE must have come up with a decent pitch for the Gollum game too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Star Wars: All That Jizz

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hwurmp posted:

Star Wars: All That Jizz

Orv
May 4, 2011
Thanks, I hate it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

jizz hands

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Orv posted:

Actually Night Dive has started to touch level design with Turok 2, where they made the Lair of the Blind Ones considerably less rear end. So who knows.

It used to be even worse????????

Stink Terios fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 2, 2024

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stink Terios posted:

It used to be even worse????????

Unbelievably so. I will bitch about sewers levels until the day I die but really, honestly, they're pretty much all fine compared to that place.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oblivion was really disappointing after Morrowind. Sure everything looked more polished and some of the jank was filed off. But they also crippled the amazing magic systems and had a boring generic looking setting.

I remember playing Morrowind for the first time back when I was 15 or so, and being absolutely blown away, even though it must have already been out for some time. I genuinely didn't know it was possible for video games to be like that, allowing you to run around first person in a beautiful, massive(-seeming) open world, doing whatever you pleased, leveling up skills simply by doing them. I jumped around all over the place just to get my Acrobatics up and had a blast doing it. Morrowind's world has a hostile, alien, and unique atmosphere that makes it feel like an accomplishment just to survive, even though objectively it's not that challenging. I could go on - I'm sure there were other games like it even at the time, but for me it was an epiphany.

You can imagine that I was really stoked to hear about Oblivion coming out. Surely it would be a massive improvement to an already fantastic game, right? Then I actually got my hands on it, and something just felt off, even besides the atrocious level scaling. I couldn't get into it. I'm not someone who automatically rolls their eyes at medieval European fantasy settings, it's a trope for a reason, but Oblivion didn't do anything interesting or compelling with it. Everything felt bland and generic, most of the potato-faced NPCs were interchangeable and spewed offputting uncanny-valley voice lines at you, and I didn't care about the plot or setting. Unlike Morrowind and Skyrim, I have never finished Oblivion.

Then Skyrim came out, and that actually was an improvement across the board compared to Oblivion, with better-looking character models, a more interesting setting, a more cohesive and unique sense of aesthetics, etc. But it still couldn't recapture the magic of Morrowind for me. Since then, they've done nothing with TES except rerelease Skyrim over and over and over, not to mention the stinkers in other franchises such as Fallout 76 and Starfield. I don't know, much like Paradox, Bethesda is one of those studios that I gradually fell out of love with. I'm indifferent to them at this point.

Larian had basically the opposite trajectory. Divine Divinity, released in the same year as Morrowind, is not a bad game by any means, but it's obviously rough, buggy, and has glaring design flaws in certain places. Since then, they've kept at it despite facing bankruptcy many times, making the games they wanted to make regardless of industry trends. Two decades later, with Divinity: Original Sin leading into D:OS 2 leading into Baldur's Gate 3, it paid off, and they are one of the industry trends. BG3 is currently still the best-selling game on Steam, a full five months after release, in the middle of the winter sale (despite being only 10% off itself).
I'm not naive, I know good things don't last. I'm fully expecting Tencent to announce tomorrow that they've bought out the remaining 70% of Larian, and for the latter to release a generic Forgotten Realms MMO four years from now, complete with battleseason passes and microtransactions. But for now, I'm giving them my thumbs up.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Phlegmish posted:

I'm not naive, I know good things don't last. I'm fully expecting Tencent to announce tomorrow that they've bought out the remaining 70% of Larian, and for the latter to release a generic Forgotten Realms MMO four years from now, complete with battleseason passes and microtransactions. But for now, I'm giving them my thumbs up.

Swen must be protected at all costs.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I want larian to buy mass effect. Whatever it costs, they can afford it now. just drive a comically large bag of money on a truck up to EA headquarters and buy that IP off the shelf. I don’t care if they turn it into a turn based game or whatever, just save that series from its ongoing humiliation

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Mass Effect was never good. (rear end Affect.)

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Thanks all on Rift Wizard and Path of Achra. Going to play Dungeons of Dredmor before I buy either of them.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I’m honestly surprised Oblivion is this well liked. I only played at launch and was pretty turned off by the level scaling. I heard that the expansions were good, and scaling was adjusted, but never revisited it.

I played Oblivion at a really weird time in my life and kind of got obsessed with it. I'm not saying it's a good game, I'm saying I like it regardless. :shobon:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Oblivion is the only Bethesda game ive ever beaten

its good, great even

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Oblivion is good 18 years ago.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oblivion is a disappointment if you're a Morrowind psycho (hi) because it's a very general high fantasy environment for the most part and it has none of that weirdness and is overall a bit dumbed down, though how much is 'dumber' and how much is 'who the gently caress designed the Morrowind combat I will find you' is debatable.

But speaking objectively, for the time that game came out, what the industry was doing then and what a lot of games looked like and played like in that era, Oblivion was revelatory. It doesn't get its fair shake anymore and maybe it doesn't even really deserve it, if you wanna spend all day arguing about it but it was the small, weird shittiness of Morrowind writ large for people who aren't brain damaged to enjoy. Is that enough? Eh, I don't think it holds up. Worth recognizing though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Larian has not made a real-time action game since 2009 and it was an isometric ARPG, not a sci-fi cover shooter like Mass Effect. What I'm saying is that they should be making Dark Alliance 3.

Orv
May 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Larian has not made a real-time action game since 2009 and it was an isometric ARPG, not a sci-fi cover shooter like Mass Effect. What I'm saying is that they should be making Dark Alliance 3.

My goon in Christ, Dark Alliance 3 happened, much as we all might wish it hadn't.

E: Actually no wait sorry, the trailer was incredible, it's fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEXgaEGpfHc

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 2, 2024

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

if you're the type of person who actually reads those books you pick up in elder scrolls games, oblivion was a disaster

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Agents are GO! posted:

I played Oblivion at a really weird time in my life and kind of got obsessed with it. I'm not saying it's a good game, I'm saying I like it regardless. :shobon:
Ditto.

But Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul was amazing for fixing scaling back then. I don't think it got updated for the expansions.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

if you're the type of person who actually reads those books you pick up in elder scrolls games, oblivion was a disaster

they censored the vagina bones cat penis

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I wouldn't mind a turn-based Mass Effect game with surface interactions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Orv posted:

My goon in Christ, Dark Alliance 3 happened, much as we all might wish it hadn't.

E: Actually no wait sorry, the trailer was incredible, it's fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEXgaEGpfHc

They were too cowardly to even call themselves a direct sequel to DA2. May it be forever vanquished from our eternal memory.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Oblivion is the funniest game of all time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

They were too cowardly to even call themselves a direct sequel to DA2. May it be forever vanquished from our eternal memory.

Not wrong, hooooooowever I do think that trailer is extremely funny because my personal suspicion is that whoever made it is a huge D&D nerd making GBS threads directly on Salvatore's books, with how he wrote combat. So for that I'll at least let the trailer live.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Pylons posted:

Oblivion is the funniest game of all time.

been thinking this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogFPc4PJztk

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oblivion is peak Bethesda game.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

One positive that Oblivion has is that they finished that game and moved on to the next one instead of remaking it 500 times.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Honestly Bethesda should license whatever the hell Radiant AI was actually doing in Oblivion for all those streamer bait games being made these days. Nothing before or after Oblivion, even Bethesda's other games, has delivered as many absolutely absurd situations from an NPC just trying to exist.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I think it’s odd how I liked Oblivion and Skyrim did absolutely nothing for me. I don’t think Skyrim did anything really fundamentally worse than Oblivion, like, there must have been annoying damage sponges in Oblivion too and the levelling was just as hosed up if not more so in Oblivion. But I put dozens of hours in that one and maybe 10 in Skyrim before I gave up on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think it’s odd how I liked Oblivion and Skyrim did absolutely nothing for me. I don’t think Skyrim did anything really fundamentally worse than Oblivion, like, there must have been annoying damage sponges in Oblivion too and the levelling was just as hosed up if not more so in Oblivion. But I put dozens of hours in that one and maybe 10 in Skyrim before I gave up on it.

Maybe you developed standards with age.