Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Ms Adequate posted:

"What Britain needs less of is people with stable family relationships and the wherewithal and ambition to pursue higher education" - rishi

Fewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

When Boris introduced the international student visa, I (and I think most of us) thought about it in the terms of undergraduate students - and if you'd spent 3 or 4 years in this country getting a degree, then being allowed to spend two years working here with no paperwork makes sense. But the latest https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...tional-students Migration Advisory committee report has reported that since the introduction of the post-study visa in 2019, the 200k increase in international students is almost entirely in postgraduate masters courses. More specifically, it means that lower-quality universities with cheaper fees have seen a massive increase in international students, compared to more selective higher-fee institutions.

This new wave of international Master's students on short Master's courses are responsible for the vast majority of international student dependants - compare the pre/post 2019 numbers on the graph below. It's about a 60/40 split adults/children for these dependants.

There's more evidence in the report, but I think there's enough to say that this spike in international students dependants is something dodgy - it's a new wave of internation students studying cheap masters courses of dubious quality, using the course more as a backdoor to immigrate to this country (maybe being misled about how easy they'd be able to find a legal route to stay afterwards). This is being facilitated by a university sector that is desperate for international students to fund their institutions due to austerity in the university sector and willing to look the other way to ensure their institution keeps existing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

SNW is on the exact same streaming service as Discovery and is if anything more popular.
Discovery season 1 and 2 were on Netflix and heavily advertised as such. SNW is on paramount+ which if you're not in the US is hidden under Amazon Prime. Maybe I just have an odd impression because it was so bloody difficult to actually find it, even when we were trying to.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ms Adequate posted:

"What Britain needs less of is people with stable family relationships and the wherewithal and ambition to pursue higher education" - rishi

"Can't go giving the proles ideas, after all!"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Reveilled posted:

I think Tesseraction just mixed up Jeri Ryan with her character's birth name. It was Jeri Ryan's husband who was the republican.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Aha! That makes more sense!

yeah this is proof that even sober I post like a loving idiot

because I'm a loving idiot

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly I'm just impressed you pulled the deep loving cut of 7 of 9's original name out of nowhere.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

yeah dunno about impressed

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I do, I'm impressed by it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You should go on university challenge.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

pretty sure on university challenge they give out points for getting things right

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Belated happy new years, back at work after the christmas weekend and shitposting on SA. Have -28C here today and it's gonna drop to -33 they say.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

Belated happy new years, back at work after the christmas weekend and shitposting on SA. Have -28C here today and it's gonna drop to -33 they say.

Now that's staying in and eating all the Christmas leftovers weather.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

it's a new wave of internation students studying cheap masters courses of dubious quality, using the course more as a backdoor to immigrate to this country (maybe being misled about how easy they'd be able to find a legal route to stay afterwards). This is being facilitated by a university sector that is desperate for international students to fund their institutions due to austerity in the university sector and willing to look the other way to ensure their institution keeps existing.

This is what I see when we do hiring rounds. Lots of Indian or Pakistani applicant's who have degrees from their home countries and decade plus of experience and then suddenly pop to the UK to get a masters. Something that's completely unnecessary in my industry.

It's pretty obvious what they are doing. But they are skilled immigrants, I thought that's what the Tories claim they want?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

This is what I see when we do hiring rounds. Lots of Indian or Pakistani applicant's who have degrees from their home countries and decade plus of experience and then suddenly pop to the UK to get a masters. Something that's completely unnecessary in my industry.

It's pretty obvious what they are doing. But they are skilled immigrants, I thought that's what the Tories claim they want?

Yes but from Norway or Italy or the like.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
The tories don't give a solitary gently caress about immigrants, they just want to show humber going down so they can temporarily appease their voters.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The Perfect Element posted:

The tories don't give a solitary gently caress about immigrants, they just want to show humber going down so they can temporarily appease their voters.

The fun thing is, none of this will have enough time to have any effect before the election, so they can make these sweeping changes, then when they are no longer in power, they can just point to the huge figures and say "We had a plan for this"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Honestly I'm just impressed you pulled the deep loving cut of 7 of 9's original name out of nowhere.

It's not exactly a deep cut. She was going by her original name in Picard.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

The rest of east Yorkshire too, I reckon.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

And for this reason all that really matters to them is number going down in the immediate to short term.

Who cares if the specifics of the policy/system means that number actually goes up in long-term? They hopefully got a short-term media/popularity boost out of it, the actual increase will only show up in the figures in a few years, and so will be a problem for whoever is in power then.

If they're still in power then, they can worry about it then. There's always more racism dials to turn.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Nothingtoseehere posted:

There's more evidence in the report, but I think there's enough to say that this spike in international students dependants is something dodgy - it's a new wave of internation students studying cheap masters courses of dubious quality, using the course more as a backdoor to immigrate to this country (maybe being misled about how easy they'd be able to find a legal route to stay afterwards). This is being facilitated by a university sector that is desperate for international students to fund their institutions due to austerity in the university sector and willing to look the other way to ensure their institution keeps existing.

It's not the most important factor here, but it does continue to be incredible how the UK can exist in two political timelines at once: the endless drum-thumping of 'Labour must yet serve its centrist penance, shun all leftery, and prove in time that it can regain the public's trust - for have we forgotten that Starmer himself once broke bread with Jumbly Crumbly??'

and the Dory-like elation of 'ANNOUNCEMENT: we are delivering for the UK by enforcing rules changes which should result in a yearly 130k reduction in dependent visas, a number we have estimated based on the fact that in 2022 our rules changes immediately resulted in an 130k increase in dependent visas'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's the reason behind the Reform/Ukip voter bloc, people who are angry that the Tories won't do half the lovely things that they keep saying that they will, but could never bring themselves to vote for the party of Tony 'went further on migration employment law than the BNP' Blair.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I've avoided signing in to twitter for a week for the sake of my sanity but now I feel (and am) lacking info on I/P in particular and other matters that get relegated to p97, if they appear at all, in the MSM.

[Bumbling thought]
On the one hand it's nice to bumble around in a bubble for a while but also understand how people who rely on MSM for news on what's going on actually don't know what's going on. You have to know something is going on to look for MSM info on it. You don't know what you don't know.

[/Bumbling thought]

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The genocide continues and Israeli government ministers are openly calling for the Gazan "ghetto" to be "liquidated".

Western governments continue to cluck and tut about how sad it all is, while backing Israel and providing diplomatic cover for it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pistol_Pete posted:

The genocide continues and Israeli government ministers are openly calling for the Gazan "ghetto" to be "liquidated".

Western governments continue to cluck and tut about how sad it all is, while backing Israel and providing diplomatic cover for it.

No change there then!
I shall have to brave twitter again soon :(

I've a lot of pro-Palestinians on my FB (mostly my contacts via Egypt) but I get the impression nearly everyone is more or less keeping their heads down.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67855872

Airbnb, eBay, Vinted and other apps of that sort are now going to be forced to share data with HMRC instead of HMRC having to request it manually.

Going to hit a lot of the trainer re-sellers imo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Gaza invasion seems to have slowed somewhat and America has made a show of withdrawing their reinforcements from the sea, but Bibi just got told to eat poo poo by the Supreme Court so expect him to do some war crimes to console himself.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Houthis still seem to be loving with cargo ships coming through Bab al-Mandab, and the US is loving right back at them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jedit posted:

It's not exactly a deep cut. She was going by her original name in Picard.

Who the hell watched that dreck long enough to get to the episodes with her in

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dabir posted:

Who the hell watched that dreck long enough to get to the episodes with her in

It was shite, but the last season was watchable for the novelty and fan-wank. The first 2 seasons were unwatchable

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Failed Imagineer posted:

Houthis still seem to be loving with cargo ships coming through Bab al-Mandab, and the US is loving right back at them.

Yes: Israel is less secure than ever. The Houthis are still impeding cargo ships in the Red Sea and around 200,000 Israelis have been forced to flee their homes in the North due to constant border skirmishes with Hezbollah. More generally, Israel's economy is taking hit after hit: tourism is dead; the flow of goods is severely impeded; all those reservists are no longer doing their regular jobs; the war itself is costing a fortune and foreign workers are reluctant to come and pick crops if they might end up kidnapped or dead. On top of THAT, there's the fact that many, many Israelis hold dual citizenships and, if things start tomlook too bad, they may simply piss off back to the US, Europe etc, making the economic and defense situation even worse.

Israel is in a very precarious situation right now and the nutters in charge of it seem to have no plan except doubling down and dropping more bombs - this also helps to explain why Israeli official statements have grown so shrill - they're genuinely panicky about where things are heading.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Failed Imagineer posted:

It was shite, but the last season was watchable for the novelty and fan-wank. The first 2 seasons were unwatchable

I've long since checked out of following start trek stuff but its been really funny seeing serious star trek fans with big youtube channels go from complete distain to clapping and honking like seals because they put the bit of the enterprise that fell off in generations onto another ships star drive section.

Personally i remember prety much every new star trek thing being the worst thing ever when it came out and now i'll happily enjoy voyager for the silly crap that it is or sing along to the enterprise theme song and wonder why any of it felt important at all.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I've avoided signing in to twitter for a week for the sake of my sanity but now I feel (and am) lacking info on I/P in particular and other matters that get relegated to p97, if they appear at all, in the MSM.

Relentless bombing and terrorising of civilians continues, however IDF eating poo poo daily from being unable to fight a guerilla war. Batallions are being pulled out of Gaza in the North because the soldiers keep getting blowed up.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I tried rewatching Enterprise last year and man, I just couldn’t get through all the relentless perving the show does on its women. Oh ho, let’s have hoshi crawl through a Jeffries tube and then her shirt gets caught on a nail and omg her tits are out cause she’s not wearing a bra! Ooh, time to have a conversation in the decontamination chamber while we rub antibacterial lube all over each other mmm

I remember finding that poo poo uncomfortable back when it came out, now it’s painful to watch. It just made me feel really sorry for the actors to be subjected to that, Seven’s outfits were bad enough and then they somehow made it worse. Which is a shame because I think there was a good show under there, just not one I had the patience to deal with.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Voyager was the worst because it just wasn't very good and we had high standards. Its badness came partly from context and it's kind of quaint that people got up in arms about them. Oh no, a bunch of episodes where the writer gets to minute 43, realised they haven't finished the plot yet and just writes "Captain's log: We solved the problem" instead of doing a second draft. The horror.

Enterprise was the worst because it took a compelling premise and wasted it on a really lovely overarching story, then took a hard right into being 24 In Space when 9/11 happened. And the episodes that aren't about that are even less good than Voyager, and some of them have the worst kind of lore pedant fan wank like the two parter wasted on explaining the change in Klingon makeup between TOS and TNG. That kinda stink is forever.

Discovery is the worst because between spinning cameras, the visual overload of Star Wars lasers and infinite turbolift dimensions, and the hideous alien makeup, it's genuinely physically sickening to even look at, and that's before you try to engage with the crew of supposed professionals with the personalities of excitable teenagers flying around crying at everything because the only thing the writers can agree on is that having trauma is deep.

Picard is the worst because it's just miserable television for nobody, except season 3, which is about how young people have a mind virus and it's up to the boomers to save the day.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I love the weird quirks in Enterprise due to the less advanced tech, but yeah, the long backrubs and soft lighting in the decontamination chamber were a weird choice.

Prodigy is on Netflix now and it's actually a good watch, but obviously more of a kid's show. I'm waiting on that third season though, because it doesn't end on a cliffhanger but it does have some major unfinished business rip Chakotay.

Dabir posted:

Voyager was the worst because it just wasn't very good and we had high standards. Its badness came partly from context and it's kind of quaint that people got up in arms about them. Oh no, a bunch of episodes where the writer gets to minute 43, realised they haven't finished the plot yet and just writes "Captain's log: We solved the problem" instead of doing a second draft. The horror.

I think the most egregious one is where they're sent the Barclay hologram to get them home, but it's been hijacked by some Ferengi to send them through a wormhole that will destroy the ship and let them harvest Seven's Borg nanites from the wreckage. At the end of the episode Barclay kidnaps Seven and flies her through the wormhole.

It is firmly established that Voyager can't catch up with the shuttlecraft or beam Seven out. It then comes out the other side of the wormhole completely empty, Janeway says that they've deactivated the Barclay hologram, Seven is fine, then the episode ends. They literally seem to have forgotten to write a resolution to the problem.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 2, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

I still maintain that like :lost: it was a good pitch that collapsed the second it hit a mediocre writing room and faced the prospect of multiple 20 episode seasons. The first episode is an interesting idea, it's just that all of the things that made it interesting were stripped away the instant the writers couldn't think their way out of problems without access to the federation or breaking syndication rules.

Did BSG come before or after Voyager? I feel like if it had been more like that it would have been a lot more interesting.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Voyager was the worst because they kept finding ways to get back home (Warp Ten!), discovering a problem (it turns you into a horny salamander?), fixing the problem, and then ignoring that they have a way to get home and a bugfix ready to go for the problems it causes.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yes: Israel is less secure than ever. The Houthis are still impeding cargo ships in the Red Sea and around 200,000 Israelis have been forced to flee their homes in the North due to constant border skirmishes with Hezbollah. More generally, Israel's economy is taking hit after hit: tourism is dead; the flow of goods is severely impeded; all those reservists are no longer doing their regular jobs; the war itself is costing a fortune and foreign workers are reluctant to come and pick crops if they might end up kidnapped or dead. On top of THAT, there's the fact that many, many Israelis hold dual citizenships and, if things start tomlook too bad, they may simply piss off back to the US, Europe etc, making the economic and defense situation even worse.

Israel is in a very precarious situation right now and the nutters in charge of it seem to have no plan except doubling down and dropping more bombs - this also helps to explain why Israeli official statements have grown so shrill - they're genuinely panicky about where things are heading.

Not that many Israelis have dual citizenships, and of those that do they're either immigrants, who are less likely to flee due to nationalism causing them to move there in the first place, or Israelis who have it via their ancestry, but even in that case they probably won't "flee" since starting your life over in another country where you probably don't speak the language (since most of them are european passport holders for WW2 reasons) is really, really daunting. I wonder if Rishi will allow small boats full of Israelis to cross the channel...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dabir posted:

Enterprise was the worst because it took a compelling premise and wasted it on a really lovely overarching story, then took a hard right into being 24 In Space when 9/11 happened. And the episodes that aren't about that are even less good than Voyager, and some of them have the worst kind of lore pedant fan wank like the two parter wasted on explaining the change in Klingon makeup between TOS and TNG. That kinda stink is forever.

Discovery is the worst because between spinning cameras, the visual overload of Star Wars lasers and infinite turbolift dimensions, and the hideous alien makeup, it's genuinely physically sickening to even look at, and that's before you try to engage with the crew of supposed professionals with the personalities of excitable teenagers flying around crying at everything because the only thing the writers can agree on is that having trauma is deep.

Picard is the worst because it's just miserable television for nobody, except season 3, which is about how young people have a mind virus and it's up to the boomers to save the day.

This post is exactly my sentiments. Picard, Disco and Enterprise are fundamentally not shows that "get" Trek. Enterprise is kinda evil and ugly (the aforementioned leering direction and post-9/11 xenophobia), and Disco and Picard both abandon the concepts of "team of smart empathetic people working together to solve science problem" and swap in "this one character is a superhero badass who kills space laser ninjas". loving poo poo sucks!

Voyager is actually great even though I hated it at the time. I've been rewatching it along with The Greatest Generation podcast and even when it's bad it's joyfully silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Janeway is my favourite captain, she veers from being perfectly reasonable and calm to just being completely done with everyone's poo poo and doing the most ballistically ballsy poo poo possible.