Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I'm finding DS2 to be a struggle. The combat just doesn't feel right. Enemies seem to be able to adjust their direction and their targeting even after they've already committed to an attack, so I roll to avoid a hit and they adjust and nail me anyway. I'm also feeling like I'm getting caught mid-roll a lot.

It's probably just my timing is off or I'm mis-judging when my iframes are active but it's kind of a bitch. I want to strangle the Pursuer with the intestines of his loved ones.

I will persevere.

there's a summon guy in the big dark hallway with the barrels and skeletons, i used him to get the pursuer down. also a smashy weapon helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Aren't you not supposed to use the target lock on for DS2? I think I read that here?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Outpost22 posted:

Aren't you not supposed to use the target lock on for DS2? I think I read that here?

I could see some bosses this mattering (like pursuer if you want to use the ballista) but I wouldnt think this is a good plan most of the time.

I want a DS2 remake that isnt scholar.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Wait wait you can shoot the pursuer with a ballistra prop? Did I hear that right?

I found DS2's lock on + rolling just fine. It really clicked when someone told me you're no longer obliged to roll in the four cardinal directions, you can go diagonally under the pursuer's obvious sweeps.

edit: Unpopular opinion: After playing Sekiro, I have almost no desire to do DS3 nor Eden Ring, I couldn't go back to the slow clumsy swings. Maybe if I did a cheese mage or something, eh.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Serephina posted:

Wait wait you can shoot the pursuer with a ballistra prop? Did I hear that right?

I found DS2's lock on + rolling just fine. It really clicked when someone told me you're no longer obliged to roll in the four cardinal directions, you can go diagonally under the pursuer's obvious sweeps.

Only for the boss fight Pursuer, the other pursuers obviously dont have ballistas around. It knocks off like 1/3rd its health and you can do it multiple times iirc?

The only boss the spin in place and dogshit hurtboxes transcends "bad" to "malicious" is Fume Knight but thats a DLC boss so your fault for getting bodied by that jank.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Serephina posted:

edit: Unpopular opinion: After playing Sekiro, I have almost no desire to do DS3 nor Eden Ring, I couldn't go back to the slow clumsy swings. Maybe if I did a cheese mage or something, eh.

Yeah they put a ballista in the Pursuer boss fight arena

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They should take the depth of Sekiro s moveset with one weapon and work on having that for all the Souls weapons. They can do em all at once but we have katan out of the way so do giant weird two handed clubs next

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sekiro should have been able to gently caress Emma.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Outpost22 posted:

It's helpful for a few bosses and some people like to play that way all the time, but generally locking on is a lot better than not locking on. That's how the game's combat is designed to work.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

there's a summon guy in the big dark hallway with the barrels and skeletons, i used him to get the pursuer down. also a smashy weapon helps.

you know you can do that with a fire bomb, right?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

looked adaptability up to see what exactly it does and yeah, that's a big factor in my problem. Mine was at 6, and I was getting about half the iframes that I was getting as a fast roller in DS1. I'll pump that for a while and see if things start to feel better.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

looked adaptability up to see what exactly it does and yeah, that's a big factor in my problem. Mine was at 6, and I was getting about half the iframes that I was getting as a fast roller in DS1. I'll pump that for a while and see if things start to feel better.

Lol. That's why Dark Souls III players are rolling all over the place

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Pursuer down. Stupid bitch. loving rear end in a top hat.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

OMG THE GIANT CROW IS BACK HI DUDE

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You should be able to gently caress the crow.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

that bird was a crow? Who knew?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

It occurs to me now that you probably didn't encounter the loot crow in DS1 (not the giant crow that transports you to Firelink). There's a new one (two actually) in DS2, on a tree branch in Things Betwixt.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

It occurs to me now that you probably didn't encounter the loot crow in DS1 (not the giant crow that transports you to Firelink). There's a new one (two actually) in DS2, on a tree branch in Things Betwixt.

The one in DS3 is a garbage crow and needs to go back to crow college. Probably a filthy raven.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Mods, rename thread:

Fuckular Fuckeogame Fuckinions: Baldurs Gate 3 is the GOAT

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Devils Affricate posted:

I found the one in DS1 but I didn't know what to do there until I had beaten the game and started reading the wiki. Found the ones in DS2 already and gave them a stone I found and also the petrified thing I picked as a starting gift.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

I found the one in DS1 but I didn't know what to do there until I had beaten the game and started reading the wiki. Found the ones in DS2 already and gave them a stone I found and also the petrified thing I picked as a starting gift.

Oh ok cool, just wanted to make sure you weren't missing those. They give a lot of good stuff. :)

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

sebmojo posted:

Oh, the dark hallway with the barrels and skeletons? In a Dark Souls game? I know where you mean exactly! That's just after the cathedral, yeah?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Disco Pope posted:

Oh, the dark hallway with the barrels and skeletons? In a Dark Souls game? I know where you mean exactly! That's just after the cathedral, yeah?

loving skellingtons

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

loving skellingtons

Whoa buddy, take it to Baldurs Gate, please!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The skeletons are between the cathedral, the camp and the swamp duh. It's all very clear and distinct.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

loving skellingtons

My cousin always said this, growing up. Skellingtons. Recently I overheard a friend say it, just referring to skeletons, not specifically Jack Skellington. I said, I have a cousin who says that. She says, everyone says that. I said, no, skellington. She said yeah, skellington. Everyone says that.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

actually baldur's gate 3 is excellent, i've changed my mind

it's just got a really cold start if you aren't familiar with all this dnd stuff.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

According to the wiki there are 15 doors, and you can easily get more keys by joining the rat king covenant and killing people in your malevolent murder maze, easily one of the best multiplayer covenant in any soul games

People who didn't join the rat king covenant or the bell keepers really missed out, I feel bad for them

I don't even like PvP in souls games but the rat bros and bell keepers in DS2 were PvP set ups created solely for loving with people and that made them fun to take part in. Loved waiting behind a corner so I could catch people running for their lives with my Havel cosplay.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Random Stranger posted:

I don't even like PvP in souls games but the rat bros and bell keepers in DS2 were PvP set ups created solely for loving with people and that made them fun to take part in. Loved waiting behind a corner so I could catch people running for their lives with my Havel cosplay.

One of the best things with the rat broz was that you got the corrosion bombs as a covenant prize, it actively encourages you to be a massive dick, like it knows exactly what it is. So many people would come to the corrosion pit trap, and stop and like line up the jump, make sure they were definitely gonna get over, just a little over, a little more...

And then you run out lobbing corrosive bombs at them, and often they'd freak out and just roll into the trap, and their rings would break and they'd start fatrolling and OH GOD IT'S ALL GONE WRONG

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I don't know if dark souls 2 is the best dark souls game but it's deffo got the best area and boss names

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

roomtone posted:

actually baldur's gate 3 is excellent, i've changed my mind

it's just got a really cold start if you aren't familiar with all this dnd stuff.

Welcome to the popular videogame opinion thread. Sometimes, the public is right!

This poo poo is just fun. But I do think one has to find their groove first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2dQBhbg9Cc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrPiRfKfPEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjhWn2tB-Ec

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 2, 2024

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Disco Pope posted:

Whoa buddy, take it to Baldurs Gate, please!

We tried but goons who love bad games won't shut the gently caress up about dark souls 2

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Konar posted:

We tried but goons who love bad games won't shut the gently caress up about dark souls 2

:hai:

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

You should be able to gently caress the crow.

only if you're talking about Ornifex

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I don't know if dark souls 2 is the best dark souls game but it's deffo got the best area and boss names

I'm enjoying it a lot even though I just died so many times trying to make a jump to get an item (it was on an isolated pillar near a forest) that the enemies between the item and the bonfire stopped respawning. Then once that embarrassing ordeal was over I found another bonfire right underneath that I could have used instead. Good hour of my life wasted, along with losing 6k runes during these attempts. And the only reason I got the item was because a message from another player eventually popped up telling me I just needed to dash instead of jump.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I wish I'd been recording because it was like those cat videos where a cat lines up a jump and then barely gets any air and just drops like a stone, over and over and over.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

DS2 has a bunch of stuff going for it, but the combat feels like poo poo and that's like 75% of what dark souls is about

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i love audio diaries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Imagine if, in real life, you happened upon a cassette tape on the street, and on it was a single diary entry. And later you came upon another, then another... I'd loving lose my goddamn mind

I'd start putting together one of those crazyperson maps they hang up on motel walls with yarn