Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The last two of my IWM mechs I've been working on this holiday break. An Eisenfaust and a Carronade.

I might be done with metals at this point. I like their weight, but they are fiddly as gently caress and they fall apart if you breathe on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They're really huge ones, and it looks like that Eisenfaust is one of them, definitely add an extra layer of difficulty. You did better than me though, a lot of mine end up standing in really goofy stances because I can't get the legs right.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Defiance Industries posted:

They're really huge ones, and it looks like that Eisenfaust is one of them, definitely add an extra layer of difficulty. You did better than me though, a lot of mine end up standing in really goofy stances because I can't get the legs right.

The absolute worst are ones like the Anubis because the toes are sculpted into the base and man gently caress that.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Is there a decent Comlang dictionary and/or primer out on some forgotten geocities site? I need a reference for roleplaying a filthy Clanner.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I painted some LAMs!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Those are some interesting LAMs. 3D prints of some kind?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

a cyborg mug posted:

God drat I should not have told my cousin I gifted an IS Heavy Battle Lance to what the (8) next to his Cataphract’s movement meant. He used MASC absolutely recklessly and ruthlessly to outmaneuver my Stalker and got dang blew it up with an ammo crit, cutting off my escape route.

Only his second BT game ever. Proud of him

I remember when 2750 came out, and we started optimizing Mechs for TT. We all though MASC was useless, and were in love with Streak SRM-2s. lol

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Arquinsiel posted:

Those are some interesting LAMs. 3D prints of some kind?

Yeah, my buddy printed them for me because my kid learned they existed and demanded we have a set.

Speaking of, where are the actual rules for using these monstrosities?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think they're in the second half of StratOps, but they can be summarised as "don't".

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Ok if I was going to whip something up to appease a 7 year old what would you suggest?

A movement point to change forms? Increased MP and modifiers to hit in each form but access to fewer weapons? Increased damage when it's in the aerospace form?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah, my buddy printed them for me because my kid learned they existed and demanded we have a set.

Speaking of, where are the actual rules for using these monstrosities?

You won't use fighter mode, probably, but if you do they behave like normal Aerospace fighters.

In Mech mode, they function just like BattleMechs.

In AirMech mode, they have a ground speed (usually 2/3) and a Wing In Ground Effect speed which is usually represented 2/3/Cruise/Flank, and they lose their Mech mode jump MP. They move exactly like WiGE vehicles, so they constantly move at height 1 above the surrounding terrain and gain height automatically over elevation changes. They can only make 1 level elevation changes going up (i.e. they can go from height 2 to height 3 but not from height 2 to height 4 the way a normal Mech can) but don't have to pay MP to increase their height the way more traditional VTOLs do. They can also make unlimited downward elevation changes without issue (they could transition from height 15 to height 0 in a single hex and remain 1 height above the surrounding terrain). They can also opt to spend double MP to keep their height, so they could use a hill as a ramp to pass over a group of enemies but can't just jump over a group of 'Mechs unassisted (because, as mentioned, in Airmech they lose their jump MP); but if they don't drop down to their normal height by the end of their movement they automatically drop back down to the normal 1 height above surrounding terrain--Airmechs can't fly forever. WiGE vehicles also have some of the same restrictions as hovercraft/VTOLs.

WiGE vehicles aren't that tricky, but I'd definitely read up on them in Total Warfare and make sure you know the rules well before using LAMs. You may want to play with a couple of normal WiGE vehicles first.

LAM Airmech mode is interesting enough that I do sort-of wish that building a non-transforming Airmech was possible.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 29, 2023

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The rules are in Interstellar Operations. I want to say Cruise is 3x jump jets and Flank is 1.5x Cruise. I also think they use the turn modes rules when using that movement.

LAM rules are a mess and I wish they'd just go away forever.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They're really not that bad unless you're using their Aerospace Fighter Modes, and that's just because the Aerospace Fighter ground combat rules are a mess and their movement is basically a rating of how many mapsheets they cross.

They're also easy enough to game-ify and houserule: if a LAM in Aerospace mode leaves the board, it can return in 1+weight class turns, so 2 turns for lights, 3 turns for mediums, and there are no heavy or assault LAMs but they'd be 4 and 5 turns respectively. If it's on the map it can convert from fighter to Airmech and then it has to stay on the map like everything else.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Alpha strike seems to handle it fine, so I'm not real fussed. Gonna field an urbie lam.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My buddy hosed up the 3D print on those LAMs, so he ended up giving me the ones that didn't turn out quite right. Fortunately, I had some spare parts on hand and know how to bend a staple into an antenna, so they look pretty much like they were designed to look this way.

This is the other complete set of LAMs I have.

This is the third BattleMech mode one I've done. There weren't any Aerospace or AirMech mode models to go with this guy, so he's just one off.

These two didn't end up with guns when they printed, so I used spare parts from the IWM Wolverine kit as they were the right size and intended to be mounted to a right arm. I guess this makes them apocryphal variants.

All three of the BattleMech modes together. You can see the obvious difference in the right-arm guns here.

A group shot of the whole LAM "squadron".

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
As someone whos never used LAMs before, whats the advantage? they can just transform from aerospace to mech right?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Saint Celestine posted:

As someone whos never used LAMs before, whats the advantage? they can just transform from aerospace to mech right?

They're directly ripped from robotech: plane, mech, hybrid

They have no real advantages over just deploying a plane or mech (not that that stops me from using them in my scout lances in mekhq)

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Atlas Hugged posted:

The last two of my IWM mechs I've been working on this holiday break. An Eisenfaust and a Carronade.

I might be done with metals at this point. I like their weight, but they are fiddly as gently caress and they fall apart if you breathe on them.

My experience with this one:

Taught me that for these metals to really work, they need not just glue but epoxy and steel pins to really give them a chance of holding together. On top of that, the base required additional weight to be added to keep it from falling over. I think I would up hammering two lead .375 cal musket balls into flat disks to accomplish this.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Azhais posted:

They're directly ripped from robotech: plane, mech, hybrid

They have no real advantages over just deploying a plane or mech (not that that stops me from using them in my scout lances in mekhq)

They're a weak 'Mech or a weak Aerospace fighter (with more hitzones); or they're an extremely fast hovercraft and fill nearly all the same roles a really fast hovercraft does but with hands.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm literally only using LAMs because my kid thinks they're cool looking. I would otherwise never bother.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Take the Wobbie Wasp and use it to nuke something sometime. It's a pretty hilarious thing you can do with them.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

When looking up the alternate ammo for Vehicular Grenade Launchers (I was interested in the smoke ammo) I realized that the smoke and incendiary ammo options for them can be equipped by Battle Armor grenade launchers. This instantly elevates them to a much higher tier for me.

Even the Infiltrator Mk. I now has a use since it can lay down the equivalent of a light woods each turn wherever you want! Plus Wobbies (best faction don't @ me) get the Nighthawk Mk. XXIII which has standard stealth, jumps 3, and has a micro grenade launcher. Comstar and RotS gets a Kobold variant that also has TAG, all Spheroids get Tunnel Rat GL variants (though you have to choose between mechanize/AM attacks or an AP weapon because a variant with 2 armored gloves was too hard I guess). And Dracs and all Clans get the Constable, which has two, letting it lay down the equivalent of a heavy woods (two light smokes in one hex equals heavy) in one turn! Edit: Canopians (second best faction) also have the Theseus Killshot (also has 9 rockets but a micro launcher) and the Shen Long Popup Mine (has two heavy launchers and 11 mimetic armor, making it the most durable and annoying of all of them!)

Theoretically you can also bring standard and incendiary ammo along, but the unit needs to have been noted as equipping extra ammo. I don't think any of them do. Which is a shame because one mag of grenades is just 5 kilograms which a lot of these variants have to spare anyway. And I'm pretty sure even just having your dudes carry a few extra mags is technically a custom unit.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 31, 2023

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
THE VAN ZANDT ANNUAL URBIE DERBIE

I very much appreciate having all 4 time spans of Urbi participate.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Comstar posted:

THE VAN ZANDT ANNUAL URBIE DERBIE

I very much appreciate having all 4 time spans of Urbi participate.

Surely you mean all 5? I'm definitely on Team Dumpster

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I took a Nightsky today and that is a fun little mech to run.

I took a hatchet to the rear armor of a Warhammer and managed to score a critical on its SRM ammo. That was a good feeling.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's great when you get a hatchet in like that. I very rarely manage it, but I have mostly been using Hatchetman and Axeman variants.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're a weak 'Mech or a weak Aerospace fighter (with more hitzones); or they're an extremely fast hovercraft and fill nearly all the same roles a really fast hovercraft does but with hands.

Crossover chat but BEX for Steam BattleTech recently added LAMs into their mod, I got a LAM Urbanmech. Sold it immediately (For $3 million).

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Crossover chat but BEX for Steam BattleTech recently added LAMs into their mod, I got a LAM Urbanmech. Sold it immediately (For $3 million).

gently caress, if there was anything that could make me come back to that it's this.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What's the best way to strip primer from a catalyst mini? Google suggests LAs totally awesome but I want to make sure that won't ruin the model

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Len posted:

What's the best way to strip primer from a catalyst mini? Google suggests LAs totally awesome but I want to make sure that won't ruin the model

If it's plastic or metal, 95% Isopropyl alcohol. You may want to separate the mini from the base first, I've been told GW bases get soft if they're in IPA for too long. I haven't had any issues with that with BattleTech's bases so I can't say for sure if that's true.

If it's resin, don't. Pray it's a thin paint layer and prime over it.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 2, 2024

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Haven't noticed any issues with iso on catalyst minis I've done but ymmv obviously

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Len posted:

I've repeatedly stripped catalyst minis using LA,'s and it does no damage to them.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
LAs works excellent, even on the resin figures I’ve printed. Takes everything off except some primers, had issues with some of army painters gray primer. Do recommend.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have reached Exodus Road, or, "Why January 6th was Both Good and Necessary", by Blaine Pardoe.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Arquinsiel posted:

I have reached Exodus Road, or, "Why January 6th was Both Good and Necessary", by Blaine Pardoe.

That bad, huh?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
So while the author isn't actually dead, it's kind of funny to be able to draw parallels to the dude's mindset whereever it finds ink

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I finally feel confident enough in my son's understanding of the core mechanics that I felt I could introduce levels. It didn't overwhelm him and he seemed to get going up and down pretty intuitively. I'll need to brush up on how they effect lines of sight again as I remember it can get kind of goofy. Also, having a painted mech collection really sells this game more than anything else.

This went surprisingly poorly for the Commando at first as it couldn't land any of its shots.

He was a bit hesitant to commit with his Wasp, so I had to flush it out with the Cicada. However, he learned being able to jump and fire all weapons every turn could be quite annoying even when the weapon loadout isn't particularly aggressive.

I sent in the Cicada to relieve Commando once the Shadow Hawk could tangle with the Wasp directly.

His Dragon made short work of the damaged Commando.

With the Wasp taken care of, it was a final 2 vs 1.

The Dragon could not deal with the combined pressure from the Shadow Hawk and Cicada and peaced out.

Also, my son refuses to use his LAMs in Alpha Strike where the rules are all conveniently in one book, so I guess I need to get:
Total Warfare for WiGE (how is this pronounced?) rules and Strategic Ops for Aerospace rules? Looking at Sarna and some PDFs of older editions, I can't find a section that is explicitly "this is how LAMs work" so it seems it's more like... I have to read the separate rules for each movement and combat type and put them together in my head?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Strategic Ops is for space combat, which you probably aren’t looking for right now. You want the book Interstellar Operations: Alternate Eras which has rules for all kinds of more experimental tech, including a full section on LAMs.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I love StratOps space combat. I would never play it without MM to do all the bookkeeping for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

a cyborg mug posted:

Strategic Ops is for space combat, which you probably aren’t looking for right now. You want the book Interstellar Operations: Alternate Eras which has rules for all kinds of more experimental tech, including a full section on LAMs.

Thank you. I had been pointed to Strategic Ops earlier and while lots of aerospace stuff was in there, it wasn't focused on LAMs at all and I assumed I was just stupid. This is exactly what I'm looking for. My kid is a loving master negotiator though.

"I really want the book with LAM rules in it for my birthday."

"That doesn't make sense. Why waste your birthday present on a rulebook that I'm going to be the one to read just so we can use one new type of mech? Wouldn't you rather get a present you can use, like a storybook or action figure?"

"Well, Mommy is going to get me a birthday present. My friends are going to get me birthday presents. Grandma and Grandpa too. I don't need an action figure or storybook from you. I want to use my Airmech. I don't even want the plane mode."

So that's where I'm at.