Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

poisonpill posted:

You have two gallons in the five gallon bucket, and you pour them into the three gallon bucket. Then you have a three gallon bucket with two gallons in it, leaving space for one gallon to fill it up. If you fill the five gallon bucket up again, and then pour from it into the three, only one gallon can pour out before it’s full; leaving 5-1=4 gallons in the *explodes because Hans’ brother gets bored*

I didn’t really care for die hard 3; it feels like the stupid challenges were too gimmicky. I like the twist and how they have John running all over NYC, but I wish he’d just gotten into increasingly bizarre shootouts at each place instead of the puzzles or whatever

what is a bizarrre shooutout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The guns fire bananas instead of bullets

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Now THAT is entertainment

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

billymumphrey posted:

C) And probably avoid loading up an episode of Bluey on your phone for your bored kid, with the sound on, right at the climax of the movie where they cut the sound to ramp up the tension

No judge would have convicted

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my solution is to simply never step foot in a non-alamo theatre for the rest of my life

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Endless Trash posted:

Quickly being convinced Disney is correct and they should be exempt from copyright expiration

The problem is actually that the copyright rules are still too strong. Everything Disney did with Mickey after Steamboat Willie is still under copyright. So we're in a situation where you can make original new content featuring the character, but if your content has Mickey doing anything that he did in Mickey cartoons still under copyright, you are in legal peril.

For example, Mickey never dressed in drag until 1929's The Opry House, which is still under copyright. So if you do a new Mickey Mouse movie this year about Mickey Mouse in drag, Disney could sue you and claim that the concept of Mickey in drag is still their intellectual property.

Now, you may argue that a character dressing in drag isn't original enough of a concept for Disney to own. And maybe you'd even win in court. But it would be insanely expensive even if you win. And as I understand it there's not actually a lot of legal precedent for this sort of situation. So you could lose. And worse, you could lose and establish a precedent that drastically reduces what's legal to do with public domain characters.

So to play it safe, you do stuff with these characters that's totally wildly different from what Disney has done with them. You make a lovely cheap horror movie.

And wait until next year to do your Mickey in drag movie.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Like in the later Fast & Furious movies, or John Woo. At some point just watching two guys shoot at each other is boring, so you need something to mix it up. Like, the bad guy has a hostage. Or it takes place in a plane that's careening toward the ground. Or the good guy is carrying a child to safety. And it's a running fight through a hospital. Against a team of bad guys disguised as clowns during a make-a-wish.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Gripweed posted:

Disney gone WOKE

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I watched the middle part of Die Hard 3 on a plane a few weeks ago. Didn't have headphones, so it was without sound. Still enjoyed it, and not having to listen to anything or follow dialogue let me pay extra attention to everything else. The practical effects in particular are pretty great and I'm surprised they were able to get away with so many big set piece effects/stunts in the middle of actual NYC.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

You wanna know how to make non-rlm movie youtube content? This is how you make movie youtube content. About 8 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVlXXwCIUiQ

Also Harrison Ford is a bad actor and that's why that scene didn't work until he stopped acting and just told the truth about him and Carrie irl while being himself

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 2, 2024

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I don't have much of an opinion on die hard 3 but if watching it muted has no effect on your enjoyment, it's probably bad

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

You wanna know how to make non-rlm movie youtube content? This is how you make movie youtube content. About 8 minutes.

Also Harrison Ford is a bad actor and that's why that scene didn't work until he stopped acting and just told the truth about him and Carrie irl while being himself

:lol: @ them spending probably like a million bucks in today's money on an electronic blown-apart C3PO rig and then having to make it move with a fishing pole and line, which is obviously what they should have just done to begin with.

We watched a Jim Varney movie in one of the movie nights in the Discord where he played a villain who had a hand on his head. And they had a dude whose job it was to just crouch behind Jim Varney the whole shoot and act with his hand, and it's loving hilarious. I'm pretty sure if a major studio tried to make something like that, they'd spend $2 million on complicated hand robotics or CGI it and both would look awful.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

poisonpill posted:

Like in the later Fast & Furious movies, or John Woo. At some point just watching two guys shoot at each other is boring, so you need something to mix it up. Like, the bad guy has a hostage. Or it takes place in a plane that's careening toward the ground. Or the good guy is carrying a child to safety. And it's a running fight through a hospital. Against a team of bad guys disguised as clowns during a make-a-wish.

Have you ever witnessed the beauty and grace that is Gunkata?

Logic666
Jan 2, 2024

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 2, 2024

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Who cares. let me know when Rich Evans gets his star..

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Gripweed posted:

The problem is actually that the copyright rules are still too strong. Everything Disney did with Mickey after Steamboat Willie is still under copyright. So we're in a situation where you can make original new content featuring the character, but if your content has Mickey doing anything that he did in Mickey cartoons still under copyright, you are in legal peril.

For example, Mickey never dressed in drag until 1929's The Opry House, which is still under copyright. So if you do a new Mickey Mouse movie this year about Mickey Mouse in drag, Disney could sue you and claim that the concept of Mickey in drag is still their intellectual property.

Now, you may argue that a character dressing in drag isn't original enough of a concept for Disney to own. And maybe you'd even win in court. But it would be insanely expensive even if you win. And as I understand it there's not actually a lot of legal precedent for this sort of situation. So you could lose. And worse, you could lose and establish a precedent that drastically reduces what's legal to do with public domain characters.

So to play it safe, you do stuff with these characters that's totally wildly different from what Disney has done with them. You make a lovely cheap horror movie.

I'll dump a post I made elsewhere here:

With Steamboat Willie going into public domain, let me apply a little bit of tinfoil to my head and speak as "not a lawyer" and just someone who likes to overthink things...
People are going on about "why are cheap horror movies jumping on this first?" (with "Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey" and the new Steamboat Willie slasher as examples) The answer is twofold:

1) Nobody with any money or an interest in working for Disney in the future would touch this with a ten foot pole. So you're going to get amateur crap without funding because nobody with money would do this and risk their money only to get sledgehammered on release and lose their investment and get a court case.

2) Horror movies and other edgy poo poo are the safest thing to make because they're furthest from anything Disney has released in later works. If you want to make a wholesome WTP story you have to make sure nothing you do collides with later works by Milne *or* Disney, or Steamboat Willie needs to be like no other Mickey Mouse story.

Tin foil hat theory #1: The recent announcement of Alien being redone as a wholesome kids book is a response to this. Disney is working to shore up later art that prevents first public domain from being non-horror. I wouldn't be surprised if some beloved Disney properties get some edgier updates in the future as well on the wholesome side of things.

Tin foil hat theory #2: Disney finally stopped pushing for copyright extension forever specifically to allow Steamboat Willie to get used in horror and, shall we say "Steamboat Willie's Willy", and will use the "outcry" (real or imagined) to demand some special protection for characters that happens to cover every Disney creation. They really didn't have the leverage to do that with Winnie The Pooh, but Mickey's different. This one going immediate Nazi dog whistle is just icing on that cake.

Tune in next week for my theory of "Right before their works started entering public domain Disney released a multiverse movie that declared all their magic and wishes are all the same so all the older works benefit from the protection of the newer works".

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah that’s basically all correct

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i want to shoot copyright law in the face with a gun

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey wasn't good

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

dreezy posted:

reported to the Disney Copyright Enforcement Authority. please report to your nearest Disney-approved police station for reeducation

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I'd like to believe there will be a burgeoning market for flea market t-shirts of Steamboat Willie doing his own version of the Pissin' Calvin, and he will be used to voice displeasure over the most random stuff. If I ever see a t-shirt of Steamboat Willie in a crouching position making GBS threads on the 95-Theses while saying "Get real or go to hell!" it'll definitely be a fun day for me.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEI7oX0XxJw

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

i love him

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

they fly now?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Everyone should know by now to just completely ignore all projects featuring recently public domain characters. Wait a decade, then the actual stuff that gives a gently caress will start coming.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
wonka actually wasn't too bad barring a few of the comedy attempts. but that's better than 100% failure. chalemet can be likeable.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

dreezy posted:

The biggest need for overhaul is that later works extend details to things in the public domain. Like, I'm fine with an author/creator making money for their conceivable lifetime, but not "a corporation put a hat on Winnie the Pooh a year before copyright expires, now if you depict him wearing a hat it's infringement".

Back in they day where publishing a work (or manually submitting it to every place for registration) was prohibitively expensive or time-consuming, this wasn't as big of a deal. But now even without generative AI you can algorithmically poo poo out your characters doing a near-infinite number of things in text form and technically be protected.

Disney's probably kicking themselves they didn't invent the Spiderman-Elsa-Mickey-Loki generated videos themselves just to be the equivalent of infinite monkeys acting out Shakespeare. Or they will release it, there's just no point in doing so until a few decades before the copyright expires.

ETA:

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gne8v9aj45w

stillvisions fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 2, 2024

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I caught the trailer for Fall Guy yesterday and it finally dawned on me that it's a reboot/remake/reimagining of the old Lee Majors TV show.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I don't have much of an opinion on die hard 3 but if watching it muted has no effect on your enjoyment, it's probably bad

I saw the movie a bunch when I was growing up (it was on all the time for some reason) so I wasn't completely clueless as to what was going on or who all the characters were. Also, I was on a plane.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

I caught the trailer for Fall Guy yesterday and it finally dawned on me that it's a reboot/remake/reimagining of the old Lee Majors TV show.

I'm hoping for a Gosling cover of the Unknown Stuntman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSChSTIqueE

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

👑

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i just finished listening to the disaster artist audibook (about the movie the room), and i was thinking....i wonder if it's gotten to the point where james franco would now star in a tommy wiseau movie

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I have no desire to relive my law school days, but I have to admit it would be fascinating to sit in on a few copyright lectures a few years down the road when some of these expired public domain works get hauled into court and the case law is developing.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Jim Varney was gone too soon

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Crescent Wrench posted:

I have no desire to relive my law school days, but I have to admit it would be fascinating to sit in on a few copyright lectures a few years down the road when some of these expired public domain works get hauled into court and the case law is developing.

The Sherlock Holmes assholes have already started a lot of case law

Duke law has a page on what the current state is with what you can steamboat or not steamboat

https://web.law.duke.edu/cspd/mickey/#jan1

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

The Sherlock Holmes assholes have already started a lot of case law

Duke law has a page on what the current state is with what you can steamboat or not steamboat

https://web.law.duke.edu/cspd/mickey/#jan1

Cool! I will have to peruse this. Some of these cases were around when I took copyright law, but I don't remember it being a point of emphasis off the top of my head.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Today I was reminded of the time Matthew McConaughey fought a dragon with a battle axe.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Today I was reminded of the time Matthew McConaughey fought a dragon with a battle axe.

Love "Reign of Fire".

That Star Wars re-enactment for the kids of apocalypse is so wonderful.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Matthew McConaughey is so good in it. Van Zan is the best part of the movie entirely because he's played so utterly straight that you actually start to believe in him despite how insane he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Definitely an underrated one