Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

both my parents were pretty poor growing up and tongue for dinner meant "it was this or start pawning poo poo" so they both find it disgusting

i used to love lengua but one time i ordered it they hadn't removed the membrane and it totally broke any suspension of disbelief i was able to maintain and I haven't gotten it since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh man yeah the taco tasting you back is a bad experience

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

But enough about my sex life.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

more falafel please posted:

both my parents were pretty poor growing up and tongue for dinner meant "it was this or start pawning poo poo" so they both find it disgusting

i used to love lengua but one time i ordered it they hadn't removed the membrane and it totally broke any suspension of disbelief i was able to maintain and I haven't gotten it since

Oof. I had a bad experience with tripe a long time ago and just can't imagine wanting it again, I completely understand.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

FFT posted:

I used to bartend at one. One day someone from out of town and asked for recommendations off the legit Cantonese menu, so he got the spicy fried chicken thing that was always fantastic. He also asked what the "crispy tiny fish" dish was, I told him I had no idea and had never seen it ordered before. It was lightly battered and fried whole tiny fish. Not sure what else I was expecting, but it was alright tbh.

Sounds like whitebait which is pretty great and one of my favourite starters, will see if the place near me has it on their 'not for anglos' menu - but they are a sichuan place so may not have it, but will see!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Where’s that bit with Jeremy Clarkson in Japan with a bag of what he describes as “just a fish, lightly killed and then put in a bag”

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Is chili soup?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Chili is stew

(obviously)

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
is stew soup?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

No :mad:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

No.

Don't be silly

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Facebook Aunt posted:

How do you keep tiny fish in stock if nobody ever orders them?
I would assume they're tinned or frozen. Probably one or two tins to an order.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Stew is just dense soup.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
life is a chowder

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

First of May posted:

Stew is just condensed soup.

:hmmyes:

It's deviled ham, cream cheese, sour cream, mustard, and nuts apparently

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I was secretly hoping for some kind of tartare loaf, but that'll do

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Data Graham posted:

Where’s that bit with Jeremy Clarkson in Japan with a bag of what he describes as “just a fish, lightly killed and then put in a bag”

The best frogs are dew picked, lightly killed and flown in from Iraq.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Data Graham posted:

Series 11

quote:

[on his provided Japanese snacks]

Jeremy:
That is just a fish... lightly killed and then put in a bag. The marvellous thing is that Richard Hammond won't be able to enjoy any of this, because he won't eat anything unless it's come from a burger van on the A38. [Imitating Richard while chewing of a piece of fish] "I don't like cheese! It's full of bacteria and I don't like fish."

[cut to a shot of Richard and James in a small shop, looking in the cooler.]

Richard:
Mate, it's all fish.

James:
Yeah, it's good for you.

Richard:
Don't like fish.

James:
Well, you've come to the wrong country.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

The best frogs are dew picked, lightly killed and flown in from Iraq.

Crunchy…

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/DanielBurbankTV/status/1740203130422534354
https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1740717288867676479

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Haifisch posted:

Reminds me of my only real exposure to margarine as a kid being Matilda(the book, idk about the movie) associating it with horrible poverty.

I only ever knew steak tartare from the Mr Bean episode where it’s a horrible looking plate of mush. Then I went to a French restaurant about 5 years ago and tried it, turned out it’s delicious.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I liked to ask my daughter if she’d prefer I cut her uncrustables vertically or diagonally

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

root beer posted:

I liked to ask my daughter if she’d prefer I cut her uncrustables vertically or diagonally

thats how u become untrustables

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

What's the deal with the Frijoles? I've seen refried beans in burritos and things, but never just a big bowl you're apparently supposed to eat with a spoon. Is that a thing?

yup! american uses of frijoles do tend to be more limited, as fillings like you said, or as dips. but in mexico it's actually very common as a side dish comparable to mashed potatoes or hummus

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I don't know why ambiguously named processed foods are so fascinating to me.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Decoy Badger posted:

Puck that

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Decoy Badger posted:

This must be what they use to make those adult cream pies.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Decoy Badger posted:

I got some thickened creamy product for ya

:forkbomb:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The word "product" in that context just makes something sound so alien and offputting

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Data Graham posted:

Clarkson in Japan was nothing but an old Brit going "oh these wacky foreigners" and he's a garbage person.

more falafel please posted:

i used to love lengua but one time i ordered it that they hadn't removed the membrane and it totally broke any suspension of disbelief i was able to maintain and I haven't gotten it since

My mom made tongue a few times a year and it was always goddamned delicious. Tongue sandwiches for a few days afterwards were the best. It used to be extremely cheap but because it's been gentrified as a foodstuff it's ludicrously expensive now.

GATOS Y VATOS has a new favorite as of 05:04 on Jan 2, 2024

capncthulhu
Oct 4, 2021

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's probably also an ingredient in other dishes as well so they will have some ready. As someone else pointed out, they could be tinned or frozen as well.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Facebook Aunt posted:

tiny pond

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I will never perform an act of contrition

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Speaking of lightly-killed fish put into a bag:

Ika no shiokara, squid fermented in ground-up viscera and malted rice (then glorped into a clear plastic bag).

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Aquarium.

*serves up deep fried neon tetras*

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Decoy Badger posted:

Speaking of lightly-killed fish put into a bag:

Ika no shiokara, squid fermented in ground-up viscera and malted rice (then glorped into a clear plastic bag).
This looks AI generated, and based on that description I wish it was.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I can't help but feel like that's the name for a heretofore unknown shameful sex act

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
so i gave her the ol' ontario cabbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Zero_Grade posted:

This looks AI generated, and based on that description I wish it was.

I don't recommend it.