Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I had blocked out having to run directly down the middle of the jar corridor until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

It feels like this sums up Nag'molada so perfectly. He's this combination that makes you want to pity him but also slap him around a few times and shove him in a locker. You can understand why he's going insane, you can even see the logic of his actions, but ultimately it all comes from not being able to deal with not being his own idea of "perfect."

Fat and Useless posted:

Each race has it's own darkness. We've seen first hand San d'Oria and arrogance. We know how bad Galka rage can get.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot those, it's been a while and all. I think it's cool that they remember previous plot points somewhat in new expansions rather than just going clean slate every time.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Nag’molada going full Skinner “it is the children who are wrong” is pretty funny. Just a shame that he might be bringing the Twilight God back to Vana’diel and ending life as we know it.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 83. The Truth

Dusk And Dawn

I'm less concerned about him and more concerned about...

That...

I still seem fine. I don't like Nag'molada standing right next to it though.

Nevermind I'll stand here I think...

You don't need to remind me.

I don't think you could ever comprehend my feelings no matter how long I sat down and tried to explain them to you.

But that, I can't deny.

First Ode: Nocturne of the Gods

Third Ode: Memoria de la S^tona

Dusk And Dawn

I'm no scientist Tenzen but I think he just used the light he stole to break the seal on God and now God has decided to eat Nag'molada and his juicy Kuluu Emptiness.

I'm gonna be real Prishe. I don't exactly know how to kill God.

Oh wow, Nag'molada still has the ability to think.

Doomed.

Fourth Ode: Clouded Dawn

Next time:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

You don't need to remind me.

Yeah if only Visaria could be off somewhere murdering crabs and… well that’s about it actually :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I love how the moment he has an audience, Nag'molada switches from self-pity to smug "ah yes you see I have this all figured out and you're nerds."

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

My brain immediately completed this with "Candlejack!"

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 84. Promathia

Fourth Ode: Clouded Dawn

Repression (Memoro de la S^tono)

I can't really stop him from leaving.

Well. What now?

Sigh. Well Prishe. It's just us unless you want to teleport away on me too.

The church is wrong again is what it means. Even in the face of the apocalypse it is important I remain smug. For morale.

I follow Prishe outside. Maybe she has an idea.

Fury

It still tastes like purple out here.

Hrm...

Once again I'm not a scientist but this seems pretty not great. Bad? Yes bad.

Errr, Prishe I think the kids are back on their bullshit.

Please don't try and butter up God...

I can't deal with this right now...

Oh? Got a plan?

There still isn't a plan.

Next time: We fight God

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 31, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Punches are a plan.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Pretty sure you've doubled up a screenshot and skipped a very important piece of dialog :v:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

The blur filter mushes everything together, fixed.

Video has been edited. My reward is editing more video.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 85. Distant Worlds Together

Onslaught

Dusk and Dawn

I might actually kill them this time...

Look I've been knocked out by it before, no shame in it.

This is deep and something to think about later but right now Promathia is fixing himself.

Probably. I can't ever really be sure.

Of course not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGOK1RMDyfs

A Realm of Emptiness

So unfortunately the recording fricked up and I lost the story version of the fight. As a apology I did the real version of the fight three times and scuffed each one! The major difference other than the story version dying to auto attacks is Prishe and Selh'teus join you in the story fight. Selh'teus can stun Promathia for a while and Prishe can dropkick off his immunities.

Promathia has two phases!

Phase one is nothing special, worst thing he does is Comet which just hurts everyone a bunch. He also has nasty status effects like Curse and Plague. Remember how I went and got that relic box? That was optional actually. If you do not grab the light from that box Promathia can inflict a race specific Terror which is a minute long stun. I think he can also Dispel, this phase doesn't last long enough for that to matter.

Phase two is a bit of a pain! More HP, hits harder, makes it so you can't do anything. Kiting is a legit strategy. So first off he casts Meteor now which has a ten second cast time and targets one person, everyone should spread away from the target but trusts can't really do that so whatever. Next if you aren't color blind you'll notice green and red circles under Promathia in phase two, red is physical immune and green is magic immune. If you are color blind... Sorry they figure out shapes in FF14. In one of the runs you aren't gong to see I set up a wonderful heavy hitting Weaponskill combo but I whiff it on a red period, halfway into the red period. I pay attention. If you watched that video above you know that's a lie. I'm sorry. Anyway speaking of the above video you'll notice in phase two there is a long span of me just auto attacking. Promathia can lock you from using Job Abilities and Weapon Skills or Silence you based on his mood(hell sometimes both). That's what that hand icon crossed out in my buffs/debuffs is. I spent a green phase very sad. Uhhh... He also does everything he does in phase one... Oh also the triplets do confetti behind him when he hits his second form in the story fight. I hate them.

Prishe got the final punch so that feels good I guess...

Next time: God still isn't dead

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 1, 2024

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

So Promathia wants to eat all of the Emptiness so it can die itself? Won't kicking their rear end just give them what they want, in that case?

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

So Promathia wants to eat all of the Emptiness so it can die itself? Won't kicking their rear end just give them what they want, in that case?

So, even after the most recent buttkicking, he still doesn't have all of the Emptiness present in the beings currently living on Vana'diel, just that which was sealed away inside the palace, so it's not quite the "full force" mentioned in this last update. It's why he's trying to get down there as of the moment, he'd need to make it out of the capital in order to start gathering up the rest of it properly beyond mind controlling a bunch of Meteor-happy kids. As for what happens if you try to kill a god while he doesn't have all the death sucked up, gotta wait an update to see that sure!

Edit: Oh yeah, seeing as it's my first time properly posting in the thread, also just posting some thanks for running through this stuff as an LP. I've already played through myself here in any case, but it's still very handy for folks who may be interested in the story content without needing to kill crabs for hours on end.

Arc Impulse fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 1, 2024

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

Next time: God still isn't dead

This could also be read as:

Next time: God* still isn't** dead***

*this specific one

**or maybe he is

***look this situation is real complicated and Altana needed to leave a sticky note****

****okay she TECHNICALLY did with Yve'noile but Yve'noile and Selh'teus did not

Dad is important and will continue to be important the entire game.

Arc Impulse posted:

So, even after the most recent buttkicking, he still doesn't have all of the Emptiness present in the beings currently living on Vana'diel, just that which was sealed away inside the palace, so it's not quite the "full force" mentioned in this last update. It's why he's trying to get down there as of the moment, he'd need to make it out of the capital in order to start gathering up the rest of it properly beyond mind controlling a bunch of Meteor-happy kids. As for what happens if you try to kill a god while he doesn't have all the death sucked up, gotta wait an update to see that sure!

Edit: Oh yeah, seeing as it's my first time properly posting in the thread, also just posting some thanks for running through this stuff as an LP. I've already played through myself here in any case, but it's still very handy for folks who may be interested in the story content without needing to kill crabs for hours on end.

My one big regret with this thing is the base game screenshots not being nice. First impressions and all.

Other than that I'm rushing to finish Chains before the one year anniversary of the thread. Turns out when I actually have screenshots taken I can pump updates out quickly, who knew?

I have a ton of stuff I want to do big writeups about like music, other games with FF11 in them(please stop deleting my gacha games before I can do the updates square), and a picking over of the plot of these first three sections.

I've had one large writeup ready to go about gear that I've just never posted. I'd like to get Ninja and Samurai done before Treasures starts(they are leveled but not started). There is some mandatory Rhapsodies before Treasures too. I kinda want to do Abyssea before Treasures but it could go anywhere really.

Screw it you decide:

https://strawpoll.com/GJn470eDqyz

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 1, 2024

Bregor
May 31, 2013

A god with a death wish is pretty metal, well done S-E.

Also since Promathia ate Nag’molada I’m going to count this as exacting revenge on him as well. Rest in piss, Naggy.

As for next steps, thematically I think vanilla/RoZ/CoP fits well together and then ToAU very much starts its own thing. Personally I would vote to finish up some other stuff first but the story is very fun so if you wanted to dive right in and avoid the grind of the other options that’s cool too. Dynamis is somewhat related to some stuff with vanilla and then later to CoP and the terrestrial avatars I think, so that plays nicely at this point in the story. Abyssea’s release date was much later but has a similar “darkness within” theme, and you’d certainly be forgiven if you want to dip your toes into the grind of it all and then stop when you go insane and come back later post-ToAU.

For the record I voted for Dynamis. Please look forward to it. :getin:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

You are all awful people. Admittedly all the choices are pretty dire for me. Keep voting because if there is a tie(which there is) then I'm going to have a bad day and no one wants that please and thank you.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 86. Miracles From Realms Beyond

A Realm of Emptiness

Kids, I just kicked God's rear end, please give me a break.

Come on...

One Nag'molada worth of Emptiness was more than enough to make that fight awful.

Add a Prishe or a Selh'teus to that? Forget it.

Not now kids I gotta yank Prishe out of the void.

As the rock came crashing down upon his face, God realized he was fooled by the three dumbest little shits alive.

All it took was some confetti.

drat. I won't go as far as to give them credit for saving the world. I'm impressed, yes. I also still would very much like to throw them off the planet.

C'est la vie...

So again not a scientist Prishe but...

Ha ha... Wow...

We aren't immediately dead!

He is still moving though.

No wait I think I understand what just happened with the Magicite...

No more of my friends will die. Not even to a god.

Prishe could hear the Goddess crying when we were outside.

The whisper of the soul; obstructed by Emptiness.

It's over.

Next time: Okay I think God is dead now

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm officially lost, but that's okay

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Alxprit posted:

I'm officially lost, but that's okay

Let me roll up my sleeves and explain this.

Altana fixed it.

That's really just it.

For a better run down of what happened between flying into the light and now...

Visaria walks into the fifth crystal with the light of Vahzl, Dem, Holla, and Mea.

Nag'molada sucks out Visaria's light. To be specific he only manages to take Mea (which happens to be the Elvaan light). Unknowingly to Visaria, Selh'teus does what Prishe asks and puts the last of the fifth crystal's light into her. This isn't enough to give her back the whisper of the soul. Nag'molada has a lesser form of the whisper and still needs his chamber flushing and Prishe still has her whisper.

We proceed though Al'Taieu and Visaria grabs a small replacement Mea from the box(optional).

Everyone is losing their minds as Promathia calls out to them with what they want just come close and give him some sweet Emptiness.

Prishe wants to die. Tenzen wants something that isn't killing massive amounts of people or his friend to stick a bird in a blade. The kids want their parents. Jabbos wants to be the Shadowlord. Shirakee wants to go to the lawful plane. Louverance* wants a home. Ulmia wants Prishe. Visaria can't hear him thankfully. Nag'molada was probably also being talked to.

Nag'molada uses the original Mea to break the seal on Promathia(the ancients hosed up bad enough that Promathia is just chilling in the audience chamber, forget the precursor). Promathia only needed a wee bit of Emptiness to be put over the edge which is what Yve'noile and Selh'teus died preventing. Promathia eats Nag'molada and begins crashing Al'Taieu back into Vana'diel. When they originally tried to sever the line they REALLY wanted to sever the drat thing. Think of Al'Taieu being in both the ocean and on the moon.

poo poo is going bonkers at this point the triplets start doing their shenanigans and in a single throwaway line Prishe mentions the Goddess crying. At this point she is the only one with the whisper. We go inside to the basement to the crystal and proceed to fight God as RPGs mandate. But like it IS God so like the gently caress are we going to do to him? He starts to eat Prishe and the triplets meteor him in the face.

Prishe climbs out of the void and chucks the Star of Tavnazia into Promathia's face. The Star is Magicite, all of Prishe's Emptiness save for the chunk on her chest where the Star broke off. Throwing Emptiness at the God who does love him some Emptiness is a terrible idea, however for some reason the Star starts sucking out Promathia's Emptiness like it was sucking it out of Prishe during her accident.

God hates this. He's hearing things now. He punts Prishe and starts charging a spirit bomb. Visaria walks in front of Prishe and the light shoots forth into the heavens. Literally into the heavens.

As getting the box is optional only the 4 before the palace get shot.

A tear falls from the sky and Promathia can hear Altana for the first time in a very long while. His rage is gone and he harmlessly disappears. Easy as that! It just required Visaria holding an absurd amount of light, being in the crystal, Prishe lucking out and not killing everyone, and divine intervention.

There are a few details to be filled in a bit later.

If you still don't get it I can help you even more:

:siren:ALL OF FINAL FANTASY 14 SPOILER TALK I SWEAR TO THE GOD I JUST KILLED DO NOT READ THIS IF YOUR NAME IS SANGUINIA:siren:

Seriously I'm warning you.

I will do an entire writeup about this later but... Shadowbringers is FF11. I'm not even remotely joking. The ancients reclaiming paradise, the source and the shards, absorbing light to hurl at a final boss who just had his aether sucked out by a crystal, Hydaelyn having to do the stompy, Zodiark being broken and imprisoned(you are hosed it he ever dies btw, thanks for the sticky note mom), it's Final Fantasy 11. Yes the characters and their effect on the story play into why Shadowbringers is beloved and that is why you can say you love Emet number 1 best FF character behind Cloud and who the gently caress is Eald'narche get this kid outta here. The prototype for everything you love is Zilart and Chains. Endwalker even, we will get to it.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 2, 2024

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I kind of dig that the divine forgiveness and compassion of Altana is what makes Promathia stop trying to kill the world. It's a nice touch over just "we punched God in the head until he did the jRPG boss dissolve."

I'm gonna miss Nag'molada, though. He was a fun rear end in a top hat to have around and I did kind of hope he would've had some sort of redemption arc, since there occasionally seemed a spark of a path to it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

You should post a screenshot of the pre-battle area of Empyreal Paradox. It's neat.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

I kind of dig that the divine forgiveness and compassion of Altana is what makes Promathia stop trying to kill the world. It's a nice touch over just "we punched God in the head until he did the jRPG boss dissolve."

I'm gonna miss Nag'molada, though. He was a fun rear end in a top hat to have around and I did kind of hope he would've had some sort of redemption arc, since there occasionally seemed a spark of a path to it.

I feel for him in that at some point he probably did get a little racism thrown at him. On the other hand he sided with the brothers and became a high ranking diplomat post meltdown. He was important in everyone's eyes except his own.

And then Selh'teus has the nerve to show up.

Yeah you kinda hope he just walks away after figuring out the chamber issue, he's done some dumb poo poo but nothing unfixable. "No, it's the children who are wrong." And then he slams the apocalypse button.

He will get brought up again at the very least.

Kazy posted:

You should post a screenshot of the pre-battle area of Empyreal Paradox. It's neat.

I'll grab a cleaner shot of it later.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
What I'm a little confused about is what got Promathia in this state to begin with. Originally it was implied the Zilart caused the problem with trying to open the Gate but from other stuff the whole reason the world was fragmented to begin with was to keep Promathia from attempting to continue his suicide attempt? Or was Promathia actually totally fine before the Zilart ruined everything.

Like, what's the exact timeline here?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Obligatum VII posted:

What I'm a little confused about is what got Promathia in this state to begin with. Originally it was implied the Zilart caused the problem with trying to open the Gate but from other stuff the whole reason the world was fragmented to begin with was to keep Promathia from attempting to continue his suicide attempt? Or was Promathia actually totally fine before the Zilart ruined everything.

Promathia's chosen punishment for the Zilart trying to sneak upstairs into mom's room was to incarnate himself and then die, which takes all life on Vana'diel with him. Altana and the Dawnmaidens are desperately trying to keep him away from the bleach under the sink (Emptiness) so he can't drink it. Because that poo poo is basically liquid mortality and enough of it could actually do him in. The ending was basically Visaria shouting loud enough to wake mom up so she comes and drags him away again.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Fat and Useless posted:

I'll grab a cleaner shot of it later.

Ahh yeah didn't notice the screenshot of it earlier. It really is a surreal place and the screenshots don't quite do it justice.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Obligatum VII posted:

Okay so I'll answer this as best as I can with what we have now.

In the beginning there was a single crystal, Altana, and Promathia. They made paradise and kept it stable. They threw some minor Gods in for fun. They also made a perfect little race known as the Zilart.

The kids were acting up and Promathia had a constant nagging urge to die and that would throws things outta wack if he were to... Aw poo poo he killed himself... Alright first Altana is going to break the crystal to try and balance things out a bit, it will do for now. It's fine that the kids start using them as a power source. That won't be a problem. Keeps them busy now that mom is driving the car over dad's dead body.

Huh okay so the kids are starting to fill with Emptiness... I wonder if them draining the crystals did that? Oh and now some kid got a vision of the old pre-shattered world and they want to put the crystal back together. They make a machine to drain the Emptiness out of the Kuulu, how kind of them. Oh wait all that Emptiness piling up is a problem if Promathia comes back to life he will mess up the balance towards Emptiness with all the other crap going on. Also then he will kill himself again and then we are really up poo poo creek.

Oh now there is a war going on because the king got jealous. Cool. The Kuluu talk to the Terrestrial Avatars and get magic to fight the Zilart with. Uggggh...

Altana gets Yve'noile on the line and tells her to stop everything. What do you want stopped exactly? No really everything? Like everything everything? Oh dear. Some pacts are made with the Terrestrial Avatars again. Selh'teus absorbs the darkness and dies but gets better. Esha'ntarl gets cleansed and starts working for 10000 years, who knows why she doesn't age she'll look into that later. Bahamut Tetraflares the city so hard he sends it to the moon. Sea of Shu'Meyo? That's a crater actually. Everyone alive goes to take a nap. Yve'noile then seals herself in the chamber and hangs out with Selh'teus until she needs to absorb Emptiness herself.

Things could be going better for Altana. She creates the five races and stuffs them full of Emptiness. There. Promathia can't resurrect because he's in everyone. Also on the moon locked up with Yve and Selh. Everything. Is. Fine.

10000 years later... Two bros wake up and create a giant city. Did you know you can rub little crystals together to make things? Welcome to the industrial revolution! Meanwhile a Galka has a very bad day in the Northlands...

Okay war happens, this is inconvenient for the bros. They need resources and and access to the lines and it is hard to do that with beastmen trying to kill everyone. Nag'molada gets everyone to work together and Kam'lanaut leads an army or two defending Jeuno. San d'Oria screws over Tavnazia and Rochefogne blows everything up. One half taken care of, not really they still went for Jeuno afterwards. The Tarutaru summon Fenrir and fix the other half. Okay now they can all(specifically a small team) focus on the Shadowlord. One Zeiding later... Yay everything is fine! War done(not really, Visaria will fix it)!

This is all fine if Promathia ever does start to wake up Bahamut will just kill everyone and Promathia won't have anything to eat. This has balance problems too, but this is a Goddess problem.

20 years later. Some dumbass becomes an adventurer.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Promathia's chosen punishment for the Zilart trying to sneak upstairs into mom's room was to incarnate himself and then die, which takes all life on Vana'diel with him. Altana and the Dawnmaidens are desperately trying to keep him away from the bleach under the sink (Emptiness) so he can't drink it. Because that poo poo is basically liquid mortality and enough of it could actually do him in. The ending was basically Visaria shouting loud enough to wake mom up so she comes and drags him away again.

This is a good take.

Okay so the problem is there is at least three creation myths/truths in FF11 and the timeline conflicts on them. Like even the Gods like Ifrit either existed during paradise or they were people raised up to a deity post meltdown by Altana(these stories are rad by the way). Then we get into beastmen and who the heck knows how the meltdown made them.

Updates 81 and 85 are really the best you are gonna get. I really think the best way to put everything is that Altana is constantly breaking things to fix things and in this case she just told Promathia with puppy dog eyes to cool it and he said okay.

The deity facts are 1. Promathia wants to die really really hard 2. Altana loves Promathia 3. If Promathia dies bad poo poo happens to existence due to a balance issue that mom and dad didn't leave a sticky note about and Visaria will find out about in 2 years

Don't get me started on the parallel universes and how hosed those are right now.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Fat and Useless posted:

Don't get me started on the parallel universes and how hosed those are right now.

The best lore is the kind that makes you sound like you're writing Timecube 2.0 while explaining it.

Arc Impulse
Jun 5, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fat and Useless posted:

Prishe climbs out of the void and chucks the Star of Tavnazia into Promathia's face. The Star is Magicite, all of Prishe's Emptiness save for the chunk on her chest where the Star broke off. Throwing Emptiness at the God who does love him some Emptiness is a terrible idea, however for some reason the Star starts sucking out Promathia's Emptiness like it was sucking it out of Prishe during her accident.

So on the "for some reason" part here, this is probably more to do with how Magicite forms for the most part. General overview is that it seems to turn up when light from the crystals ends up crystallizing into a solid form (sometimes alongside Emptiness), which is why you find the three chunks from the nation missions below broken sections of the Crystal Line, as well as the Star of Tavnazia being the result of all that Emptiness in Prishe getting snapped off after being exposed to the light from inside that one Zilart box. Considering that things happened here by Prishe chucking the Magicite and it being speared by Selh'teus's lance of light, that's likely what started off the crystallization process for Promathia for that brief moment. I'll spoiler this next bit here as while it's not a spoiler at this point, it is out of game stuff, in case it becomes part of a future post: Dissidia 012 also has this as part of the EX move for Prishe, "Five Lights", where she shoots five balls of light at her opponent and follows up by spearing them with the Star of Tavnazia, which only sorta explodes over in that game instead.

Also, 100% agreed on the spoilers bit in this post that I'm not even quoting in case people accidentally hover over it.

Obligatum VII posted:

Yeah, some of the ancient timeline stuff is a bit wonky alright, since I don't think there's any specific timeline to things in terms of years (at least not in English anyways). I don't know for sure if the Zilart were about pre-shattering of the original Mothercrystal or not, but it ultimately matters very little in the long run quite honestly, beyond their being one of the big pre-Meltdown races and one capable of working towards returning to "Paradise".

The last main post covers most of it, but to note on Eald'narche in particular: considering events taking place with Prishe in this expansion, you can now probably take a fairly educated guess into why he ended up with a chunk of crystalized mass around his eye, and not aging a day after having that appear. Depending on the Emptiness situation at the time, there's a non-zero chance that the entire Gate of the Gods plan could have been kicked off by Promathia coming into contact with the Zilart prince via the crystal and pulling that same trick with twisting and amplifying desires, using that to try and have the world reunited/destroyed seeing as that was one of the reasons for his being unable to die in the first place. Especially if that was the case and it can potentially affect an entire empathically connected race with just the one pull.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
is it ever covered why Promathia wants to die so drat bad anyways?

Also some of the previous dialogue would seem to indicate Emptiness pre-dates the crystal being sundered and the sundering was done in part to keep it in check?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Obligatum VII posted:

is it ever covered why Promathia wants to die so drat bad anyways?

Also some of the previous dialogue would seem to indicate Emptiness pre-dates the crystal being sundered and the sundering was done in part to keep it in check?

Edit: Scratch all that, I'm wrong, it is explained. Oh boy.

Arc Impulse posted:

Considering that things happened here by Prishe chucking the Magicite and it being speared by Selh'teus's lance of light, that's likely what started off the crystallization process for Promathia for that brief moment.

It seems to be that magicite + crystal light turns emptiness into more magicite. The Eye of Altana supposedly contained both? Basically it works like ice-9. The Eye is the seed crystal and the Emptiness is the water.

Here's the stuff I'm not too clear on:

As far as I'm aware the Star of Tavnazia is the magicite formed by Prishe's exposure to the Eye of Altana. Some of it remains in her chest. Some of it ended up in Bastok and caused the Shadowlord campaign. Most of it was in the Northlands until Prishe found it again. I also think the Promathia in the audience chamber is the Zilart King transformed after a similar self sacrifice act to Selh and Yve but I can't remember where I heard this or if it's in content yet to be soon so I'm spoilering that. Al'taieu is a literal paradox. The crystal is inside the castle, and the castle is inside the crystal. They're both on the moon, and there's a path there where the fifth crystal line leads, to the bottom of the sea where the capital sank during The Incident. You can apparently dig your way under the sea from Movalpolos, or hover over it and piggyback off the still-connected crystal line to teleport there.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 2, 2024

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

This is getting more confusing as it is being explain isn't it?

There is Emptiness which is Promathia and there is Emptiness(also referred to as Darkness). The second is the one Iroha is dealing with. It is technically Visaria/Altana/Promathia's fault.

Also you know I never thought about "why" the eye would cause that interaction with the star the Star and yeah with the pipelines and Magicite it makes sense light interacts with it.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Prishe found it again. I also think the Promathia in the audience chamber is the Zilart King transformed after a similar self sacrifice act to Selh and Yve

It's one of those things you need to try and infer from the triplets like the princess thing. In a fundamental sense the king started all this poo poo by going about things the way he did making him the keeper even if the bros were in charge at the end. He was probably also the last person alive aside from Yve'noile and Selh'teus so the left over Emptiness probably pooled there. Once again no one leaves sticky notes.

Some of this will make more sense later. Some of it won't.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 87. Dawn

A New Morning

Prishe, she is very sad.

I have never loved once in my life.

Ah speak of the devil.

Somehow.

She really needs a break.

Welcome back to the conversation buddy, I forgive you.

Bye I guess!

What a joke, I didn't even get any Goddess tears.

We are all alive. Everything is still alive.

I hate y...

Next time: Goodbyes

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
So yeah that's the best explanation we get for Promathia's suicidal ideation.

At some point when it was just him and Altana, he died by being dissolved into Emptiness. Out of love for him, Altana drained the light of the True Crystal to bring him back and keep him here by removing the Emptiness from him. He is not happy about this (might've come back wrong) and desires death once again but she can't let it go. So she keeps the Emptiness, the thing that can kill him, locked away in the mortal races while he tries to find enough of it to return to death. The crystal is unable to remain whole after being used, and shatters into five, turning Paradise into the Vana'diel we know.

The ending might thus be best explained as Altana finally giving it up and letting him pass away by removing the light of the true crystal from him. Hence the grieving and tears.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

The triplets continue to ruin everything.

But otherwise this scene is very cool. I liked RoZ just fine but what really makes CoP my favorite expansion story is the relationships, especially Prishe and Ulmia. They’re just so :black101: and :3:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Desperately needs a minigame where you punt those three little bastards at targets.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 88. Sin Washed Away

It has been a few days now since we won. Bahamut backed off and Esha'ntarl managed to stay alive while we were fooling around under the sea. After the fight we all got sent back to Tavnazia and everyone went off on their separate ways. Jabbos went back to the Moblins, Tenzen is off with Cid, Prishe and Ulmia are in Tavnazia, Atarefaunet could be just about anywhere... No idea where the triplets went, for all I know or care they are still on the moon. ShirakeeZ will be getting on a boat today actually and I intend to go see her off. I actually made pretty good friends with her before we went off to die...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She's actually very nice once you get past the whole sin hunting thing. She has a cool wyvern too so there's also that. Anyway let's go find our cat.

Nope, went our separate ways a couple days ago.

It's not really a secret she needs to go and report the whole God thing.

I got sick of this not being uploaded on the internet so I did it myself

It takes me 30 seconds to zoop between Selbina and Mhaura, you were gonna be at one of them.

You have no idea how many more sins I'm gonna commit before the week is done.

Oh really?

I see... (I don't see at all...)

Adorable.

Even I'm moved to smile from that.

See ya later Mhag.

I think Tenzen will also be heading off pretty soon, I should go find him next.

Next time: Apologies

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 4, 2024

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

The magus sisters are dorks, that's all I have to say.

In between the dash to end Chains before the one year mark I'm gonna trying and upload some of the music that just doesn't exist and reinsert it into the entire LP like I just did with the one above.

Let's look at the poll...

https://strawpoll.com/GJn470eDqyz

Tied again...

Let's never look at the poll again.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Local catgirl cop retires, world breathes a sigh of relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 89. The Burden Of Shadows

Alright Tenzen time. He received word from his shadow shortly after we got back that the Emptiness in the Far East has let up. So that's good. No more bird sacrifices. Hoofa...

It's a character flaw. I gave up working on it.

How's he getting back even?

Makes sense, the closest sea ship route I know only goes to the Near East and you don't just get on it.

Heya Tenzen.

Oh geeez...

Grav'iton

Hey look it's fine!

You are not the first friend of mine to try and kill me. It's fine!

(I'm sure I'll make it over someday, but I'm afraid it won't be very happy.)

See you later Tenzen.

Since I'm in Bastok I may as well go check in on Jabbos.

Moblin Menagerie - Movalpolos

Oh Goddess...

Hey buddy.

I think it would be fine if they found out.

Even with all my training I can't do the stare any harder than this.

I let out a long sigh and finally break the stare. Look technically Altana and Promathia made everything so technically yes we are all related even if we weren't made by the same process. Don't confuse them, we have a happy ending.

See? You found a happy half truth.

See ya later, try and get some sun once in a while.

Next time: Them