Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
edit: sorry, no more gun chat. Updated with enshitified socks

I've been buying the same socks from Uniqlo for years because they're great for the price and I re-up every 6 months or so. The sock on the right is from July/August the one on the left is from a couple weeks back.

Also, please enjoy my chicken drumsticks

Cyber Punk 90210 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I use Podcast Addict on Android but I very rarely listen to podcasts.

Replace it with an app whose title more accurately reflects your usage patterns.

"Podcast tolerator"

"Podcast-aware"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chrome no longer shows if I've read a thread or not as of yesterday. Or how many posts are unread, etc. The little button is gone.

I guess I'm on Firefox full time now.

btw, anyone else experience this weird oddity?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

I've been buying the same socks from Uniqlo for years because they're great for the price and I re-up every 6 months or so. The sock on the right is from July/August the one on the right is from a couple weeks back.

Okay but on the right from the perspective of the wearer or the camera?

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
goddamn right and left, always get me.

From the viewers perspective the right is old the left is new

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I find clothing gets smaller when changes are made. Lands End changed their t-shirts at some point and I no longer like how the Large Tall fits.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

I've been buying the same socks from Uniqlo for years because they're great for the price and I re-up every 6 months or so. The sock on the right is from July/August the one on the left is from a couple weeks back.

This looks like normal wear and tear with the socks getting stretched over time from washing and drying to me

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
That was my first thought but this isn't the first time I've reordered the same socks and previous pairs didn't mismatch this much. It's seriously about 4 inches difference

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
4 inches is a big difference in socksual matters.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Atopian posted:

4 inches is a big difference in socksual matters.

This is very concerning

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Band tshirts.

They're see through thin now instead of thick and heavy.

No one wants to see dad nips at a Cure concert. 30 years ago, sure.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Philthy posted:

Band tshirts.

Yeah this 100%. The quality of the genuine merch has become as lovely as the bootleg stuff you used to buy in the parking lot. I still have a few shirts from the 90s that aren't in GREAT shape but you can still read them. Anything today is just "buy and hang up, never wear"

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Philthy posted:

Band tshirts.

Before a month ago I hadn’t bought a band shirt in like a decade. Got a Tegan & Sara one that is perfect and a Banshee one that is actually slightly too heavy. Buy from better bands?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

One drive barely works anymore . I’m being forced to create local saves of all documents and use email to myself to keep versions up to date across computers hahah.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Medullah posted:

Yeah this 100%. The quality of the genuine merch has become as lovely as the bootleg stuff you used to buy in the parking lot. I still have a few shirts from the 90s that aren't in GREAT shape but you can still read them. Anything today is just "buy and hang up, never wear"

Also make sure you're turning those shits inside out before laundering, too. It'll extend the lifespan of even the lovely ones dramatically.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
shirrts

Greg12 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 2, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Also make sure you're turning those shits inside out before laundering, too. It'll extend the lifespan of even the lovely ones dramatically.

Yep always have and always will.

Maybe it's time to wear my 1997 Queensryche shirt again!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I have a Big Black shirt I’ve now owned for over half my life.

The Front 242 and Nitzer Ebb shirts I got are thick as hell, most shirts I’ve gotten in the past two years have been solid quality.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

teen witch posted:

I have a Big Black shirt I’ve now owned for over half my life.

The Front 242 and Nitzer Ebb shirts I got are thick as hell, most shirts I’ve gotten in the past two years have been solid quality.

Same. I'm 39 and maybe a fifth of my wardrobe is 20-ish years old (more if you count shits like suits, ties, and dress shirts that I hardly wear). poo poo I bought a couple years ago is already falling apart.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

my Dalton Castle wrestling tee I bought over ten years ago is in better shape than the Daniel Bryan tee I got from a house show ~six years back. I expect part of that is thanks to the natural enshittifying tendencies of :vince: and his wrestling fed, but like, only the DBry shirt has holes (right around the obnoxious "official WWE merch" tag, natch)

also buying a package of ten pounds of chicken thighs now only gets you nine thighs where you were once all but guaranteed ten. The weight difference, I am sure, is made up with water in each individual thigh. It's a goddamn swindle that fucks with my easy packing and freezing of chicken for later, and I am not pleased with it in the least

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

btw, anyone else experience this weird oddity?

I'm an idiot. I ran CCleaner and it logged me out of SA and I forgot to log back in. Oh well Chrome sucks now anyway.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I was wearing my own old band's T-shirt today. We probably made them in 2003. It has a big hole in the armpit though so I wear it under stuff. It's not in great condition but not bad for 20 years.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I was in urban outfitters shopping for gifts and all the t shirts were from like 1980s bands and brands

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
we really need another decade like the 80s again, without the nuclear ronald reagan bullshit tho, just the pop culture.. music, movies, tv all the good poo poo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's more great music, movies, TV coming out than literally ever in history, it's just that none of it gets any media attention because the media landscapes is held captive by a couple of monopolies

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

There's more great music, movies, TV coming out than literally ever in history, it's just that none of it gets any media attention because the media landscapes is held captive by a couple of monopolies

Or, conversely, it's broken apart across so many streaming services, podcasts, etc. There's great shows and movies I'll never get to watch because I didn't sign up for Apple TV or Netflix or etc. There's new music I have no idea how to find.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Philthy posted:

we really need another decade like the 80s again, without the nuclear ronald reagan bullshit tho, just the pop culture.. music, movies, tv all the good poo poo

No. No. No. The 80s were terrible. It's not just Reagan who sucked, he was just King Celebrity Guy Who Sucked who was elected by Suckers. Just like Trump. And then you have mega shitlord Margaret Thatcher in the UK at the same time, solidifying power for the worst types of people, in this weird moment that gets oddly mirrored later through Trump and Bojo in 2016.

The 80s were regressive AF which is why the 90s feel so free. Don't do that dumb loving thing that boomers did re the 50s and 60s, where they love the pop music so they idealize everything else about the era.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 2, 2024

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
AIDS kinda sucked in the 80s.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
addendum was just the pop culture. the evil fuckles from that era can stay dead forever

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

StrangersInTheNight posted:

No. No. No. The 80s were terrible. It's not just Reagan who sucked, he was just King Celebrity Guy Who Sucked who was elected by Suckers. Just like Trump. And then you have mega shitlord Margaret Thatcher in the UK at the same time, solidifying power for the worst types of people, in this weird moment that gets oddly mirrored later through Trump and Bojo in 2016.

The 80s were regressive AF which is why the 90s feel so free. Don't do that dumb loving thing that boomers did re the 50s and 60s, where they love the pop music so they idealize everything else about the era.

Yep. 80's sucked.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Take me back to the decade where all the cartoons were poorly animated toy commercials for children

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

What about a greatest hits year where we take the good poo poo from previous decades and don't do any of the bad poo poo

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bossy lady posted:

What about a greatest hits year where we take the good poo poo from previous decades and don't do any of the bad poo poo

:hmmyes:

We should start doing this!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Zoomers have been doing this for the last decade, don’t need to wait

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I envy Zoomers for not growing up as smothered by stultifying Boomer nostalgia

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I envy Zoomers for not growing up as smothered by stultifying Boomer nostalgia

One of the fun silly bits I do is that I declared pop culture bankruptcy in 2018. I'm not obligated to see or listen to anything from before then. So whenever some gen x person references goonies and says omg you haven't seen it I inform them of the bankruptcy and that reference is not going to land with me ever.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I actively try to only really consume new stuff as well, there’s a lot of really neat things out there. I see a lot of local music (no cover bands) and the young folks are putting out some good poo poo

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My Spotify discover weekly keeps my rotation pretty fresh as I can usually groove with at least a couple songs, and then sometimes those become my favorite band of the moment and I listen to all their stuff. The algorithm is trying to push new releases too so I get exposure. I’m so done with boomer rock.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't get exposed to pretty much any new stuff. I have to actively search it out and I just sort of don't. I couldn't name a single Taylor Swift song if someone had a gun to my head. I thought Call Me Maybe was one for like a decade but just found out I was wrong!

I listen to NPR almost exclusively when I'm in my car. I have a USB plugged in with a bunch of old music I liked and I haven't updated it in years. However, I did just get spotify because I wanted to create a playlist of all of the songs my late father would play. Boomer rock, I guess, as was mentioned. Which I love and always will. And I listen to it in my basement on a huge amplifier and play along to it on guitar, bass, drums. It's fun.

I've seen a bunch of famous people (Obama, etc) post their songs they are listening to and they'll list 20 bands/performers I've never heard of. I'll have to figure out a way to get new music into my life.

I'm not trying to come off like "I don't even own a TV" but rather more like "I'm way behind the times and I should really really try to expose myself to new stuff but I don't care too much atm?"

:corsair:

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

skooma512 posted:

My Spotify discover weekly keeps my rotation pretty fresh as I can usually groove with at least a couple songs, and then sometimes those become my favorite band of the moment and I listen to all their stuff. The algorithm is trying to push new releases too so I get exposure. I’m so done with boomer rock.

I've never signed up for Spotify and I doubt I ever will, because I am 1. Old and 2. Paranoid and 3. I guess I've heard enough "new" music that I don't care about it anymore.