Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i've also learned that apparently using sedimentary rocks as building materials makes your building able to record psychic trauma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Benagain posted:

What if cats are ghosts

Cats are the natural predators of ghosts.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Discworld post: I'm almost done with Reaper Man and I am TBH not as into this one

I guess my biggest gripe is that Death's story and Poons' story don't seem so far to be connected in any major way? I guess with Death temporarily out of service the life force built up and it made Ankh-Morpork a target for the mall predator but that's all pretty abstract. The problem of there suddenly being mischievous ghosts everywhere kind of got dropped in favor of mall attack, meanwhile Death is off in the countryside just sort of doing his own thing. How many times does Pratchett go back to the well of "Death is retiring or on vacation or something" because so far it's happened at least twice

I also still wish that wizards would do more magic. Like, I get that's part of the Discworld wizard concept (wizards CAN do magic but mostly don't because they are quite lazy and more interested in eating large quantities of food) but when a major character is a wizard and he is under direct threat I think it'd make sense if he cast the occasional spell in response to it? I dunno maybe the problem is that my baby is going through a sleep regression and I'm tired as gently caress reading this book.

The concept of malls being a predator that lays eggs in cities and infests them with living shopping carts is a cool idea, though -- I always liked the horror concept of buildings that weren't built or designed by humans and just sort of grew according to the whims of some alien presence to trap you in a labyrinth, a la House Of Leaves or The Backrooms. The most unintentionally scary building I've ever been in IRL in my opinion (a model train museum in rural NJ called Northlandz which is also full of creepy doll displays for some reason) gave me this feeling too.

loquacius has issued a correction as of 15:37 on Jan 2, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i've also learned that apparently using sedimentary rocks as building materials makes your building able to record psychic trauma

No no, you need reinforcement bars of pure selenium.

Also lol finish Reaper Man, you might like the ending. Agreed that it's basically two stories taped together though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the psychic trauma of having been built out of crumbly poo poo

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I need to do a full-on Discworld reread sometime. Maybe that will be my reading project this year. It's been way too long for some of those books. I also haven't read some of his later books because I found his post-Alzheimers decline to be a bit too heartbreaking, but I could probably steel myself against it now.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Nichael posted:

Oh no, she went murder-nazi too? That sucks, because she's pretty funny in that.

she is hilarious, such a good writer and performer, but she unfollowed me 10/8 and started making weird subtweets about pro-Palestinian stuff and liking Ziofreak posts lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

docbeard posted:

I need to do a full-on Discworld reread sometime. Maybe that will be my reading project this year. It's been way too long for some of those books. I also haven't read some of his later books because I found his post-Alzheimers decline to be a bit too heartbreaking, but I could probably steel myself against it now.

I can't speak to the very last books but my favorite one, Going Postal, was released in 2004, so there is absolutely some gold there

I slept on this series for too long and am enjoying my readthrough even if it is a capital-P Project. Reaper Man came out directly after what have so far been my least-favorite books (Eric and Moving Pictures) so it's possible he just went through a doldrums period between Guards! Guards! and Small Gods.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

the moist von lipwig trilogy is my favorite even if the train one is weak

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

Over the last six months or so I've watched a lot of Ghost adventures with a few friends over discord. We just put it on when we're hanging out and bullshitting. It's dumb as hell, but also really entertaining. They're always doing dumb, goofy poo poo to piss off the ghosts. Sometimes Zak Bagans gets possessed and acts weird. Every few episodes they bust out a new piece of equipment that does... something??? to detect ghosts. Like in one episode they busted out some PVC tubes full of water to reduce echoes or some poo poo. Or another involved a tesla coil. I have no idea how these were meant to work.

I want to hunt ghosts.

play Phasmophobia. its Ghost Hunters: The Game and it owns

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

the scariest thing about ghosts is that they are super lame and weak and if they attack you you literally won't notice it until you spot superficial damage hours or days later

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ranking of recurring Pratchett Tropes I have noticed in order from most-favorite to least-favorite

1. Disgraced cynic is charged with reviving once-great, now-defunct public service in libertarian paradise
2. Main cast foils a conspiracy to revive the Ankh-Morpork monarchy
3. Concept of fantasy craftsman's guild for trade that maybe shouldn't have a guild (eg clowns) thoroughly explored
4. Ancient evil with mind of its own surfaces in the guise of a modern-day cultural concept (eg malls or golden-age Hollywood)
5. Wizards never do any actual magic and are mostly just fantasy academics
6. Death is taking a little break and now things are getting a little wacky!!!
7. Main character and secondary character have no romantic chemistry but get married or something because why not, this might as well happen I guess

RandolphCarter posted:

the moist von lipwig trilogy is my favorite even if the train one is weak

Moist owns

Vimes is pretty cool but he is, I am sorry to report, a cop. Moist is a criminal which is much cooler than being a cop.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

not once have I ever found a random scratch on my arm or leg and thought "I must have been attacked by a ghost and not realized it" but this is a pretty common occurrence apparently
Supernatural Morgellons

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

5. Wizards never do any actual magic and are mostly just fantasy academics

Rincewind is my dude, my guy. I am his #2 fan, only because goddess of luck loves him more.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

loquacius posted:

I can't speak to the very last books but my favorite one, Going Postal, was released in 2004, so there is absolutely some gold there

I slept on this series for too long and am enjoying my readthrough even if it is a capital-P Project. Reaper Man came out directly after what have so far been my least-favorite books (Eric and Moving Pictures) so it's possible he just went through a doldrums period between Guards! Guards! and Small Gods.

I think this was right around the period before he settled into a groove of writing around the same groups of characters (the Watch, the Lancre Witches, the University) for most books, yeah.

Vimes is a cop but he's also a noir protagonist, so basically the lone decent person in a sea of corruption, which is an archetype I will always have time for in fiction. "Con man being backed into doing good things under duress" is one I also enjoy, so of course I like Moist. (My girlfriend does not, and I have made peace with this.)

I liked Going Postal a lot, didn't really care for Making Money though (and I don't think I've read whatever the third one in that cycle is).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My last year of college, I was sharing a house with a few other folks, and I was reading Soul Music at the time and left it sitting out, as one does. Which lead to an uncomfortably earnest conversation with one of my housemates about why was I reading a book with a demon on the cover and that's when I decided that living situation was maybe not for me any more.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

Rincewind is my dude, my guy. I am his #2 fan, only because goddess of luck loves him more.

Rincewind is the only wizard who has an excuse not to do magic, and obviously I'm a fan. It's more when other wizards show up and continue to not do magic that I get annoyed.

I've only read one Witches book so far but it's a breath of fresh air that the witches actually do magic sometimes

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

loquacius posted:

Rincewind is the only wizard who has an excuse not to do magic, and obviously I'm a fan. It's more when other wizards show up and continue to not do magic that I get annoyed.

I've only read one Witches book so far but it's a breath of fresh air that the witches actually do magic sometimes

The difference in attitude between the witches (especially Granny) and the wizards toward the magic they mostly don't do is pretty fun too.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

play Phasmophobia. its Ghost Hunters: The Game and it owns

Yeah, Phasmophobia is great. Played it a couple years ago and went into it completely blind. It got a little less fun when I actually learned how things worked, but it's been long enough by now that I've probably forgotten most of it. I should hassle my friends and ghost hunt again.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Stone Tape rules

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
oh i also watched the first episode of the new Frasier and by the end of it, boy, that Frasier was Frasiering

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I haven't seen it but it doesn't feel right without most of the cast

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
his son is Marty, his nephew is Niles, the son's girlfriend with the baby is Daphne, the Psych Dept. Manager is Ros, and the other professor is to make Kelsey Grammer look relatively younger

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

his son is Marty, his nephew is Niles, the son's girlfriend with the baby is Daphne, the Psych Dept. Manager is Ros, and the other professor is to make Kelsey Grammer look relatively younger

assuming that the other old professor fills the Bulldog niche

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

good to hear that the son is being Marty though, my expectation was that Kelsey Grammer's dream project would have the token millennial be a strawman a la Last Man Standing or something

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
a lil yeah, his whole thing is being a drunk who doesn't care about his job because he's got tenure so he's there for the Dept. Head to score zingers on

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the son has tenure?? the last person to get tenure in the US was in 1997

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

who’s Eddie

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

good to hear that the son is being Marty though, my expectation was that Kelsey Grammer's dream project would have the token millennial be a strawman a la Last Man Standing or something

No, that role has been given to David, Niles and Daphne's Zoomer son who is a freshman in college. and he's pretty good at making it not just a sort of David Hyde Pierce impression

So Frasier's son Freddy decided to follow in his Grandfather's footsteps and dropped out of Harvard to become a Fireman (because that's much less problematic in 2024 than Cop lol) so he is wise to all of Frasier's psych talk while still being grounded as a kind of Man Cave millennial.

Pepe Silvia Browne has issued a correction as of 16:56 on Jan 2, 2024

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i say swears online posted:

the son has tenure?? the last person to get tenure in the US was in 1997

no, the professor. sorry I was replying to your post about the professor being bulldog

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

not clear yet but I'm assuming the baby will fill in for Eddie

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

docbeard posted:

The difference in attitude between the witches (especially Granny) and the wizards toward the magic they mostly don't do is pretty fun too.

At beginning of The Thief of Time you get a glimpse at a young Nanny Ogg. There's a line that shows she is freshly credentialed like "she was still at the stage of wearing her witch hat inside her home" that really captured that med school idiosyncracy.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

watching Chernobyl again and it's absolutely bananas that Mazin thinks it's anti-communist

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
is it hosed up the only pratchett I’ve read is good omens? I think I tried reading the color purple once and wasn’t feeling it

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Xaris posted:

is it hosed up the only pratchett I’ve read is good omens? I think I tried reading the color purple once and wasn’t feeling it

do you mean the colour of magic lol

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

theflyingexecutive posted:

watching Chernobyl again and it's absolutely bananas that Mazin thinks it's anti-communist

it might have seemed that way at first but then covid happened and then it was more like "wow a large government addressed a problem and actually solved it, that's weird"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Xaris posted:

Once in my twenties I tried starting The Colour Of Magic and A Game Of Thrones on the same day and as a result of that comparison I didn't read Pratchett again for like ten years

Continuity is very loose and the beginning is not the best place to start. Someone rec'd Guards! Guards! to me as an intro book and it worked

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I was doing imperialism at England in my early 20s. I found The Thief of Time paperback on a bookshelf in a pub called the King's Head or The Hog's Rump or whatever. Anyways I just started reading it and about 2 pints of Stella I was all in. I just walked out with that book like it belonged to me because that's how imperialism works.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Guards! Guards! is the first one I ever read, yeah. I would say either that or Wyrd Sisters would be my recommendations as starting points, though really the vast majority of the books stand on their own. This gets less true for the later ones but really the only one I can think of that I'd recommend NOT starting with is Night Watch (which is otherwise probably my favorite thing Pratchett's written), because it really hits hardest if you already know the major characters.

The first few books are not really representative of the series as a whole, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The first few books have some great characters and concepts in them but they absolutely do suffer from Pratchett repeatedly trying to lampoon Conan the Barbarian, which is much less relevant in the 2020s than it was at the time, rather than settle fully into his own poo poo