Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Branch Nvidian posted:

I, for one, and excited for my literal thousands of dollars worth of blu-rays to be completely useless in about 10-15 years.

handbrake now, while you/they are relatively young

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ripping 4k blurays is still a pain in the rear end, even if you have a physical copy it would probably be easier to download a rip done by someone else

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

trilobite terror posted:

Did this a few months ago, had some old VHS from a magazine, I got them converted to DVD, then Handbraked the DVDs to files. Worked like a dream, now I scan see all the new cars from 1998!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Serperoth posted:

Did this a few months ago, had some old VHS from a magazine, I got them converted to DVD, then Handbraked the DVDs to files. Worked like a dream, now I scan see all the new cars from 1998!

are they on the youtubes?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

trilobite terror posted:

Good god, I'm going to need a LOT more storage than I currently have.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I bought a cheap USB Bluray burner around Black Friday 2022 and still haven't taken it out of the box. Hopefully it works when/if I ever need it because I certainly can't return it now.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

priznat posted:

I remember hearing of old CD rom trays snapping off because people thought they were coffee mug trays lol.

Glad to see thermaltake just made one with a cig lighter!

I'm pretty sure Thermaltake made a cup holder for the 5 1/4" drive bay. Similar to the pop-out ones seen in some cars (think BMW's from the early to mid 2000's). Might have been Silverstone? They both made pretty "interesting" things back then, and still do it seems.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are the drive bays of a case sized for a car radio

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Branch Nvidian posted:

I, for one, and excited for my literal thousands of dollars worth of blu-rays to be completely useless in about 10-15 years.

Like I'm sure others have said, this is one of the reasons I got a NAS.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gradenko_2000 posted:

That’s what the NewQ was for

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I thought that manufacturer pressed dvds/blu rays had a longer life expectancy than dvd-rs, and should be more like 100+ years. Manufacturer numbers so probably less than that but still more than 10-15 years.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pressed discs do last longer, but earlier generations of media are still prone to rotting

CDs only had a very thin protective layer over the aluminium data layer which easily corrodes if exposed to the air, DVDs are better because they made the protective layer thicker, and blurays are better still because they use some more inert alloy instead of aluminium

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah the most durable CDs were always the ones with the disc art on the whole thing, the ones with bare metal on top would often get hosed up.

It was actually the top sides of the disc that was more fragile.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sadly no. The size of a car radio, not the touchscreen systems in modern vehicles, I'm talking the Single and Double-Din setups of yore, are 7" wide (180mm).

Few years ago I finally got around to making a garage radio out of a single-din stereo I had laying around, that had one of those fancy slide-out screens. Old PSU, some 6x9's, and a big ole speaker box I think I got at Goodwill. Little bit of cutting to get the stereo in, and it will fill the garage with music if need be. Was a fun couple day project actually.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I had some Verbatim (I think?) CD-Rs that were failing and even flaking within years.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I had some Verbatim CD-rs that I left something rubber on top and when I picked up the rubber thing (think it was a mouse pad) it pulled half the foil off lol

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

trilobite terror posted:

Yeah, I really need to do this but I've just been too lazy. I want to eventually set up a Plex or Jellyfin server so that I never have to rely on streaming or rotting DVD data.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
leave the poor data alone to pass away in peace and dignity. let it sink into oblivion and move on with your life. you will not watch those movies again. you are not the same person anymore and are not obligated to have the same taste.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

TheFluff posted:

leave the poor data alone to pass away in peace and dignity. let it sink into oblivion and move on with your life. you will not watch those movies again. you are not the same person anymore and are not obligated to have the same taste.

I mean, I get the desire to want to hang onto media you actually own but I'm with you on this. Pirating poo poo is still incredibly easy and lots of stuff come in a dozen different formats and qualities if you're the type of person who insists using FLAC or 4k.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Blurb3947 posted:

I mean, I get the desire to want to hang onto media you actually own but I'm with you on this. Pirating poo poo is still incredibly easy and lots of stuff come in a dozen different formats and qualities if you're the type of person who insists using FLAC or 4k.

You say this, but the thing I have on my coffee table to rip is Homicide: Life on the Street and DVD rips are as good as that's gonna get right now. Not available for streaming!

Speaking of, does anyone have a good guide to ripping DVDs into discrete episodes? (I'm in Canada, this is a completely legal request here.)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I wish I could just toss out my boxes of dvds, I’ll never watch them mostly because they’re SD and the movies I like I probably have HD or 4K versions. But I just can’t toss em, sigh.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Arivia posted:

Speaking of, does anyone have a good guide to ripping DVDs into discrete episodes? (I'm in Canada, this is a completely legal request here.)

Handbrake can recognise individual titles on a DVD, when I was ripping my anime DVDs a few years ago it just lists the titles you can queue up for individual video files. Just look for the ones that are the right length.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Arivia posted:

You say this, but the thing I have on my coffee table to rip is Homicide: Life on the Street and DVD rips are as good as that's gonna get right now. Not available for streaming!

I just use MakeMKV. I flashed my drive with LibreDrive (more info) using this guide and it gets around region locking and various file encryptions schemes as well as increasing the max read speed of my drive. A lot of this may only be necessary for BluRays, though. Not sure.

In any case, MakeMKV does not do any transcoding. It rips the exact files off the disc (but decrypted). You can use Handbrake afterwards to transcode to whatever format or compression you want. MakeMKV also lets you pick out which audio and subtitle tracks you want to rip, too. Removing languages you don't care about is a great and easy way to save a lot of drive space.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DISAPPOINTMENT BUILD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw6rl_mnfnQ

This year the office is haunted by ChatGPT.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 2, 2024

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Thanks Ants posted:

Optical media is going to be one of those things where you turn around one day and find that nobody has a drive in stock and then you do a bit of research and they will have stopped being made five years previously.
The irony is that due to BD-ROM going nowhere except for 2 use cases that are both currently abandoning it, Blu-ray drives will probably stop being manufactured well before DVD-ROM drives.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I used Handbrake, Slow H.265 1024 kbps. I'm sure someone can chime in if there's something better.

There's an app called "Rename my TV Series" that I use to rename the output from Handbrake into episode titles.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

OneEightHundred posted:

The irony is that due to BD-ROM going nowhere except for 2 use cases that are both currently abandoning it, Blu-ray drives will probably stop being manufactured well before DVD-ROM drives.

i saw the eventual writing on the wall when my fellow classmates preferring to sneakernett with expensive USB flashdrives versus cheap CD-Rs

...20 years ago

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Palladium posted:

i saw the eventual writing on the wall when my fellow classmates preferring to sneakernett with expensive USB flashdrives versus cheap CD-Rs

...20 years ago

I purchased one of the first "cheap" 128mb usb keys in my first year of high school. That key still works to the day, the same era CDs are all busted.

Slavik
May 10, 2009
My bread and butter for DVD/BluRay conversion for my Plex has been for the last few years:
MakeMKV to get the main files and any special features separated
Handbrake to convert them to MP4 and make the file size smaller
Filebot if a TV series to rename the files accordinly in mass. This is a paid version, there are free ones but it serves me well.

Speaking of drive bays, funnily enough I've been trying to fill empty 5.25 and 3.5 slots for two XP and Win99 PCs I've built in the last year.
Just seem to be fan controllers, USB 3/media hubs and hot swap drive bays these days. Have to keep peeled for when anything else turns up.
Might have to scour those old electronic shops that always have the same faded items in the front window displays from 20 years ago.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/FilledwithUrine/status/1741877572298789371?t=S4i_qroB23sYgUdbMg5F7A&s=19

I don't pretend to understand it but it's mildly cool that there's tiktok channels out there whose only purpose is to run cars through BeamNG for fantastical crash videos

At the minimum it's more genuine than typing "mazda miata crashing into bollard at 100 mph" into an ai prompt and posting that instead

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/FilledwithUrine/status/1741877572298789371?t=S4i_qroB23sYgUdbMg5F7A&s=19

I don't pretend to understand it but it's mildly cool that there's tiktok channels out there whose only purpose is to run cars through BeamNG for fantastical crash videos

At the minimum it's more genuine than typing "mazda miata crashing into bollard at 100 mph" into an ai prompt and posting that instead

Okay, I'll admit I laughed at the last one. Just needs a slide whistle for the Looney Toons effect (no idea if it has one, I watched the video with sound off).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm definitely not venturing into twitter in tyool 2024, but lol @ baiting elon stans with imaginary crash scenarios in a video game

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The comments are always "no tesla no like" and when they DO have a tesla the comments are always "why did you do the tesla dirty? this is woke bullshit"

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If you like BeamNG videos, definitely check out MuYe. He gets up to some good fun.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I'm definitely not venturing into twitter in tyool 2024, but lol @ baiting elon stans with imaginary crash scenarios in a video game

I took a quick peek hoping to get some giggle-worthy reactions, but the comments I saw were either people making GBS threads on the cybertruk or people saying "Nah brah, I could totally survive all of these with just minor concussions at worse". Sure man, the car is smashed flat and on fire, but you're made out sterner stuff and would easily survive.

But I didn't see anyone getting mad at the -8 survival chance.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

is it in beam.ng where people make fake drift videos to put on tiktok/shorts/whatever?

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

repiv posted:

modders only went with source because it was available to them, unreal was still inaccessible to mere mortals at that time

as soon as unreal/unity overhauled their licensing to let people start using it for free it was over for 3rd party use of valves engines

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'd also say that Valve Time and Valve ADHD didn't help the Source engine.

iD and Valve seemed to treat their engine licensing business as a side hustle instead of an actual arm of the company, and consoles were an afterthought instead of being the primary target until the 2010's.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

valve has never thought about consoles really, their ports were mostly farmed out to third parties and they've only shipped source 2 on PC and briefly android/ios

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

watho posted:

is it in beam.ng where people make fake drift videos to put on tiktok/shorts/whatever?

IDK but Car Pal is all you really need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcvbiqqykgE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs8HQSwZ20w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB7g0CkTXTg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

repiv posted:

valve has never thought about consoles really, their ports were mostly farmed out to third parties and they've only shipped source 2 on PC and briefly android/ios

I think they did the PS3 version of Portal 2 themselves though mostly because EA humiliated them with the Orange Box port job.