Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

mfw the big reveal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I know it was meant to be tragic but it just looked so absurd. The big goofy eye bangles and dragon eye shadow sent me. Then I'm up there yanking the sword out and all I can think of is can... Can I farm Zelda for dragon bits?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i laughed but only because i was thinking of all the people that thought we were getting playable zelda

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Eifert Posting posted:

I know it was meant to be tragic but it just looked so absurd. The big goofy eye bangles and dragon eye shadow sent me. Then I'm up there yanking the sword out and all I can think of is can... Can I farm Zelda for dragon bits?

You can, and should!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

Can I farm Zelda for dragon bits?

yes, you can

Also I thought the Master Sword sequence was badass :colbert:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I had the Rito safe helmet on and it loving clips through the sword, so that kinda undercut the moment.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Any time I did anything important I made sure to put on the Cece hat first.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is the biggoron sword a one time deal or can you farm it?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I had the Rito safe helmet on and it loving clips through the sword, so that kinda undercut the moment.

I pretty much wore nothing but the flight suit getting the tears so every cutscene ended with link's stupid binocular eyed bird face, probably didn't help establish gravitas.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

RCarr posted:

Is the biggoron sword a one time deal or can you farm it?

Supposedly, you can buy them from the bargainer statues for poes, but I have yet to see it. Maybe you need to break the original one first? I've got mine sitting in my house.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

neogeo0823 posted:

Supposedly, you can buy them from the bargainer statues for poes, but I have yet to see it. Maybe you need to break the original one first? I've got mine sitting in my house.

That is exactly it

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm a big fan of the Poe economy. I can't wait until I'm finished with getting the big outfit so that I can concentrate on just buying all of the bombs.

The hebra event was neat but I was kind of in a hurry So I just summoned a jet bike to get to the dungeon. Little buddy was like "let's use the power of teamwork" And I genuinely felt a little bit guilty about cheesing the whole thing.

I'm glad the spirit guardians or whatever aren't necessarily dead in this one, when little buddy's parents told him to go up to the dungeon with link I I wanted to tell them that generally doesn't work out for people.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 2, 2024

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

neogeo0823 posted:

It's the multi-eyed poe daddies you need to talk to, not the horned bargainers. Start with the one next to um, Josha? - the little girl sheikah researcher in Lookout Landing.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Runcible Cat posted:

It's the multi-eyed poe daddies you need to talk to, not the horned bargainers. Start with the one next to um, Josha? - the little girl sheikah researcher in Lookout Landing.

That's the one I typically check, and all it ever has on offer is the gloom resistant armor set and depths-sources plants and the like. I'm assuming I have to break the unique items at least once in order to get them to offer those things. So far, I've been saving all the unique swords and shields in my house.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just make a manual save for peace of mind then break one to check

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there a list of the unique items?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I can confirm you need to break the gear first and then you can buy it. I don't know if you need to find a certain amount of those big ole guys or not first but it is definitely replenishable. Same with outfits you sell if you are that desperate.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I think you can only replace the broken weapons at the statues in the Depths. The statue at Lookout Landing has a much smaller set of things for sale.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Unless I'm very much mistaken, the Poe shop inventory expands in a similar way to the Great Fairy Fountains. The more you've activated, the better your options are.

And you can definitely only have one each of the unique weapons at a time; you'll have to break that Bigoron Sword before the Poe statue in Lookout Landing (or elsewhere) will let you buy another, for instance.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Nemo posted:

I think you can only replace the broken weapons at the statues in the Depths. The statue at Lookout Landing has a much smaller set of things for sale.

That, I think, though getting a lot of the unique weapons from amiibos may have skewed their inventory for me.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Eifert Posting posted:

Just got the master sword.

Those cutscenes are supposed to be funny, right? Everyone burst out laughing at the big reveal, not just me, right?

I definitely giggled a bit, it's such a loving bizarre plot point/reveal. I haven't finished the main quest yet so I don't know if she gets better in the end (which I expect) or that's just... how Zelda is now.

e: oh poo poo hello new page

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just can't believe they didn't get a mature rating after having Link mount Zelda and ride her bareback in a fully animated cutscene.

Some folks are into that
vvvvv

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 2, 2024

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love you Zelda. But I'm going to shoot you in the face every ten minutes for the next couple hours

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I love you Zelda. But I'm going to shoot you in the face every ten minutes for the next couple hours

Zelda would absolutely farm Link for drops if the situation were reversed. She would write a GameFAQs guide to Link farming.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's a shame she doesn't have awareness in tears of the kingdom because if she did she would absolutely realize it's because she made link lick the frog in breath of the wild.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I set up a pot on Zelda's forehead and made myself lunch while enjoying the scenery.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I have still only done one of the four temples, the wind one, so we need this thread to stay active for another year folks. Long live the Zelda

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

lol my friend still hasn't progressed beyond getting the paraglider because he's afraid of losing track of time and playing the game for like 8+ hours and I'm like, how tf is that a bad thing bro?

On the bright side, the fact that the next one is probably 5-6 years away means he might have time to finish it by then

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

On a whim I did all the Addison signs and the reward is a pretty neat glider fabric which seems fine if not kinda reminiscent of Korok poo until you use it at night :pcgaming:

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
How many are there, and is there a way to find out how many you completed? I feel like I’ve done 100.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Relatedly, I just spent the last two days trying to find every cave for Kilton. I managed it, but holy poo poo it was so annoying at the end that I had to cross reference with an interactive map. The issue is that he can't sense the location of all of the caves. He seems to be blind to any cave that has a quest associated with it, or one of Misko's treasures, but also just some random caves for seemingly no reason. Some of my last few, for example, were like, a tiny little cave entrance near Ubota Point, hidden behind a jungle tree, two other tiny tiny tiny cave entrances near Kakariko, and a cave associated with a shield surfing quest in Hebra. Of course, Kilton had run out of locations to give me with like 19 frogs left, so that was pretty frustrating.

eightysixed posted:

How many are there, and is there a way to find out how many you completed? I feel like I’ve done 100.

Google says there's 81 total, and there's interactive maps that'll show where he's putting up signs. I don't know how many I've done, as I only do them organically as I find them. It certainly feels like I've done at least half of them. I recall some people also pointing out that he won't be at certain spots until you help him at other spots, so I'm assuming he probably starts in relatively centralized positions and moves outward towards the edges of the map as you help him, or something like that.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Are there any Addison signs that can’t be solved by just sticking a hover stone under the sign?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Some maniac did RUSH E using stakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGB0lK4-Ky8

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Relatedly, I just spent the last two days trying to find every cave for Kilton. I managed it, but holy poo poo it was so annoying at the end that I had to cross reference with an interactive map. The issue is that he can't sense the location of all of the caves. He seems to be blind to any cave that has a quest associated with it, or one of Misko's treasures, but also just some random caves for seemingly no reason. Some of my last few, for example, were like, a tiny little cave entrance near Ubota Point, hidden behind a jungle tree, two other tiny tiny tiny cave entrances near Kakariko, and a cave associated with a shield surfing quest in Hebra. Of course, Kilton had run out of locations to give me with like 19 frogs left, so that was pretty frustrating.
I almost suggested just wandering with the sensor set to Bubbulfrogs but yeah that'd take forever too. Looking forward to finishing that... less, now. Does it have to do with some maximum range on Koltin's sensing? I've seen him in very strange spots.

quote:

I recall some people also pointing out that he won't be at certain spots until you help him at other spots, so I'm assuming he probably starts in relatively centralized positions and moves outward towards the edges of the map as you help him, or something like that.
I think there was only one like that when I went through an interactive map, near Zora's Domain. It definitely wasn't there when I looked halfway through.
Tripped me and my co-pilot up for a while until we realized what was wrong and went back afterwards.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Just realized I've had this game for eight months and have never really posted my thoughts about it. Not that anyone asked, but I just feel the need to mentally check the box of posting my thoughts on it somewhere. So, apologizes in advance for the random negative longpost.

Something I'm sick of hearing is how "BotW is like a tech demo of TotK", because for me, the exact opposite holds true. While I will agree that in some ways BotW was a tad "empty", and there were certainly some janky "unfinished" aspects, like how the majority of the items you picked up had no real use, I feel that [with the DLC] it had just the right amount of stuff to do. TotK, on the other hand, feels like they took BotW and absolutely loaded it to the loving brim with distractions and filler.

BotW was all about simplicity and elegance. You pick a direction you haven't been yet, you go that direction. The fun is making your way across the land and exploring and surviving. Along the way to your destination you encounter things to do and complete, but they never really feel like they're competing for your focus from the main quest. There was subtlety and simplicity to everything about the design, and the result was that the game had a perfect feeling of "flow" that was perfect for a chill gaming experience. BotW did and still does feel like an antithesis of modern gaming because of that simplicity, whereas TotK is very much a bloated, modern game that is constantly in-your-face and guiding and distracting you to make sure you experience the things you are supposed to experience, and in the correct way.

TotK is overwhelming with constant, endless distractions. Endless things competing for your attention. Tons of hand-holding and directing. Every NPC you talk to makes sure to triple re-iterate everything they want you to know and do, for instance. In BotW it was fun to talk to to random NPCs because most of them would just have some random thing to say, but in TotK probably 90% of them are giving you a blatant hint or direction.

BotW also managed to never really feel like a grind. By exploring any new area you basically naturally collected enough resources to level up and advance without specifically needing to go out of your way to do so. TotK, on the other hand, requires you to grind like hell to level up pretty much anything.

One of the biggest mistakes IMO was allowing you to launch yourself all over the map, skipping any sense of exploration. Maybe they understood that we didn't need to explore the same map again, but that just drives home the feeling that I can never escape when playing this game, and that is that I would much rather have had an entirely new map to explore rather than a bunch of filler added to the existing one to skip around on. Yes, there's The Depths, but they're an absolute slog to explore, and the sky islands are just too sparse to really feel like much of an exploration.

The story - neither are great, but I can't stand how TotK tries to walk the line between being a sequel to BotW and it's own thing at the same time. For this it is narratively worse than BotW.

Crafting and building - I don't care about it at all. People say you can mostly ignore it for the main game, but this isn't entirely true. Most puzzles in the game require some form of crafting. The rare instances where you have to craft something to traverse a land obstacle are also annoying because it's always just best to just build the most basic things, which is tedious. "But - autobuilder!" Yeah, it's great for a little bit until you run out of materials to build and have to go back down to the Depths and grind away for more. Weapon crafting also sucks and just makes the weapon breaking that much more annoying, because now you not only waste time crafting the weapon, but you lose two resources when they break.

Finally - the "temples". My overall opinion of this game could have been raised significantly if the temples had been proper Zelda temples like they hinted at. But instead they're easy as poo poo, "activate 4 or 5 things", a rehash of the Divine Beasts without the fun element of controlling the structure. The act of getting to them is kind of cool, but is also preceded by a lot of filler consisting of being sent back and forth to talk to different characters for no real reason other than padding.

I don't know, I could keep going on and on but I'll stop here. Don't get me wrong, there's definitely a lot of cool stuff in this game, but overall I find it to be a worse experience than BotW in just about every way, to the point where it seems like the legacy of BotW has been tarnished a little. I played the hell out of BotW and completed everything you could do, including the DLC and minus the 900 Korok seeds, in just a few months. Eight months in and I have only done half of the main quest of TotK and I can only manage to muster up playing it for an hour or two every few weeks. I have no desire at this point to do everything and will probably eventually just finish the main quest and never play it again.

Tl;dr: IMO TotK is a bloated mess of a game that actively works against much of what made BotW so memorable. It's a frustrating and grind-heavy game that lacks the elegance and flow of BotW.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
One slight thing, if your weapon is about to break and you have something awesome on it you can unfuse the weapon for 20 rupees and keep your cool item.

I didn't build stuff until near the end of the game when I had the battery capacity.

I agree though that there is a lot of grinding and at a certain point I stopped trying to max out my costumes because I had a certain few I'd always gravitate to anyway.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I definitely agree that the overworld has too much going on and, to me, it looks like an MMO with all the beacons with the swirly green.

The world in BOTW felt more like you were visiting a place that hadn't seen a visitor in a long time.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

The world in BOTW felt more like you were visiting a place that hadn't seen a visitor in a long time.

Yeah, definitely. I am a sucker for games that can make you feel isolated and alone (maybe because I work with so many people during the day? idk), but BotW had this in strides. Especially in the earlier moments of the game when you're literally just fighting your way through the wilderness trying to survive on scraps, fighting with sticks, and low health.

The way you could just pick a direction or destination on the map of BotW and adventure your way there, making reasonable progress without too much distraction, was a very zen-like experience for me. TotK seems to actively go out of its way to discourage that by overwhelming and bombarding you with stuff and encouraging you to launch yourself everywhere and skip directly to the quest beacons.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I love the Stuff. The Stuff was my favorite part of TOTK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I agree the sky islands needed to be fleshed out more. The only one that felt unique and awesome was the tutorial island. They needed one or two more with that much scope.