Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Copenhagen wheel, Brooks saddle, twenty pounds of propane in a basket on the front

Trailer with a coffin

Sidecar grill

The Voice of Labor posted:

is the baseball bat holder generally for playing baseball or crippling dudes?

Same as the can of soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Copenhagen wheel, Brooks saddle, twenty pounds of propane in a basket on the front

Trailer with a coffin

Sidecar grill

Same as the can of soup.

What's up with that rear wheel?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

alright, I'm sold. what's the recommended brand of banana seat and matching sissy bar?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Slavvy posted:

What's up with that rear wheel?

Weirdass obsolete hub motor with integrated battery

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

😭😭😭

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

And remember, it’s not a weapon for the purpose of prosecution if you’re carrying a glove and ball at the same time

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
5,682 "miles" for the year.
436 of those miles were actually outside.

I think I'd have gone crazy if it weren't for my trainer.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Crumps Brother posted:

Yuck. Where do you live that’s that bad across the whole year?

People have emigrated for less.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Now a pretty ok scooter share company!

Crumps Brother posted:

I think you may have in fact gone crazy, that’s super impressive mileage to pull off almost all indoors

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I only did a measly 440 miles in 2023, but all of it was in the last 3 months so I feel ok about it

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Where would the best place to start be when looking for a 3+ wheeled e-bike?

It’s for a somewhat older person with some balance issues and replacing event joints who really should not be falling from a bike. They also have difficulty getting their feet up super high, so eg a regular non step through bike would be out. Ideally it would let them keep up on slow paced bike rides/maybe carry a bit of stuff like groceries. One other wrinkle is that they have trouble lifting heavy things which could be an issue if they are trying to put it on a rack or store it and it’s too hefty- I am not sure if there’s a way to get something lighter in this form factor though (or if you can even put this type of bike on a rack at all).

High level I wasn’t sure if it makes more sense to look at three wheeled recumbents, or if there are solid trike brands out there. This is pretty outside my bike experience so curious if anyone is more familiar. I’ve mostly been finding like medical device sites or sportier recumbents. Also struggling a bit to figure out which are legit, since the big bike brands don’t seem to make these kinds of bikes. Eg Sixthreezero makes an e trike but idk if it’s any good.

I have also heard only a single tire in front can be sort of tippy relative to the double tires being in front?

Otoh this list of requirements feels very specific, but otoh it’s probably common to a lot of people as they age so maybe there is actually something like this out there?

tildes fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 1, 2024

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
The single wheel up front is perfectly stable for tricycle speeds.

I don't know of any brands, but I do see these for sale at my LBS. That's definitely where I'd start looking. Anything not called Schwinn should be fine, as long as you can get the features you're looking for.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Did a fair bit more MTB and barely any “road” so miles weren’t impressive this year.

600k feet of climbing isn’t bad but if i htfu I’m sure i could do more

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I don't have any firsthand experience, but have heard lots of good things about catrike, both regular and e-trike versions.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
2.5k miles and at least one century are my targets for the year

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
6889 miles in 2023, 90% of which were indoors on my kickr.

:toot:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bring back those shifters and handlebars wheels.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

tildes posted:

Otoh this list of requirements feels very specific, but otoh it’s probably common to a lot of people as they age so maybe there is actually something like this out there?

Mobility scooters exist, that’s what they’re aimed at. Other than the weight and compatibility with bike racks etc. they would seem to cover most of your use cases pretty well.

In the uk they can be ridden on pavements & bike paths and the road.

As far as actual bikes:

No e-trikes but https://www.jmhcycles.co.uk/special-needs-trike-disability-tricycle-adult-belfast-lisburn-northern-ireland-ni

I know someone who volunteers with a group of differently abled people riding all sorts of custom bikes, will ask for brands / supplier etc. But no motorised bits I think.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I saw somebody in the UK with an e-trike the other day, so they do exist. She was puttering very nervously around the park on it. She had lost her sight too much to be allowed to properly drive, so it was her new car replacement.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

wooger posted:

Yuck. Where do you live that’s that bad across the whole year?

tildes posted:

I think you may have in fact gone crazy, that’s super impressive mileage to pull off almost all indoors

It's just a few different things all coming together. I moved across the country late 2022, had a baby early 2023, and got a new job mid 2023. I'm lucky enough that I can squeeze in trainer over a long lunch since I'm working from home. And I almost never ride outside because my "no really you need to leave the house and socialize with people" activity is jiu-jitsu which isn't something I can do over a long lunch in my basement.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Seriously impressive stuff to have the ability to ride the trainer that much! I’ve done longer days before but my realistic limit is around 60 minutes.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I had a good 2023 of bikes although I'm road biking much less and mountain/gravel biking much more. My overall time on a bike was highest for 2023, outside of prior commuting that wasn't tracked :blessed:

pre:
Distance   2,417 mi / 3,890 km
Elev Gain  213,600ft / 65,105 m
Time 	   217h

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 2, 2024

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
code:

Distance 	4,115.5 km
Elev Gain	9,958 m (lol its flat here)
Time		162h 13m
Had a very good year considering 2019-2021 was full of injury struggles.
I wanted to hit 200 hours but travel and being ill with covid for all of March meant that wasn't possible in the end.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Great year people!

As a new trainer rider, I wanted to ask the people who put in tons of miles indoor: Do you find the mileage estimates accurate?

I started TrainerRoad on a Saris H3 that I bought last month. I seem to average 10-11 miles an hour on cadence and effort that, were I riding outside, would be well over 10 miles. Obviously, this is extremely vital for making sure my numbers are big unimportant, but as someone who knows nothing about indoor riding, I figured there may be something I'm doing wrong, or maybe that's just what indoor is like.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 2, 2024

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Grumpwagon posted:

Great year people!

As a new trainer rider, I wanted to ask the people who put in tons of miles indoor: Do you find the mileage estimates accurate?

I started TrainerRoad on a Saris H3 that I bought last month. I seem to average 10-11 miles an hour on cadence and effort that, were I riding outside, would be well over 10 miles. Obviously, this is extremely vital for making sure my numbers are big unimportant, but as someone who knows nothing about indoor riding, I figured there may be something I'm doing wrong, or maybe that's just what indoor is like.
I don't know exactly what the curve is for watts/distance on TR and if it takes in to account any personal information. I had a 1 hr workout average 200 watts and TR gave me 20 miles exactly. I laughed when I saw that cuz it sure seemed a little on the nose. This was using their "Virtual Speed and Distance" setting in the strava sync options. If you don't have that selected then TR will use the trainer distance and speed which is dependent on what gear you're using and not how many watts you're pushing (and will be wildly off in either direction depending on that discrepancy). No matter what you do it'll never be "right", but it's good enough for me, I suppose.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Personally I just pay attention to time and power, rather than worrying about mileage.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

wooger posted:

Mobility scooters exist, that’s what they’re aimed at. Other than the weight and compatibility with bike racks etc. they would seem to cover most of your use cases pretty well.

In the uk they can be ridden on pavements & bike paths and the road.

As far as actual bikes:

No e-trikes but https://www.jmhcycles.co.uk/special-needs-trike-disability-tricycle-adult-belfast-lisburn-northern-ireland-ni

I know someone who volunteers with a group of differently abled people riding all sorts of custom bikes, will ask for brands / supplier etc. But no motorised bits I think.

Yeah, I think they’re defs still more mobile than a mobility scooter and would want something a bit closer to regular biking/with pedaling. They’ve done some bike touring etc in the past and I think might be a bit resistant to something which feels too much like a mobility assistance device. Would definitely be curious what pops up ty!

bicievino posted:

I don't have any firsthand experience, but have heard lots of good things about catrike, both regular and e-trike versions.

I’ll have to see if I can find somewhere with them in stock. Especially given that the Catrike has a folding model it’s looking p good. It seems like Terra Trike, Ice, and Greenspeed are also mentioned alongside Catrike pretty often, maybe will look up those as well.

tarlibone posted:

The single wheel up front is perfectly stable for tricycle speeds.

I don't know of any brands, but I do see these for sale at my LBS. That's definitely where I'd start looking. Anything not called Schwinn should be fine, as long as you can get the features you're looking for.

Oh interesting, a lot of the stuff online is saying that at like 15 mph+ they start to tip over but then you’ll also get trike riders disagreeing strongly. I guess I’ve got to find a LBS which sells these to try it out.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

~60% trainer, 30% cargo bike, 10% fun bikes.

Indoor and time limited because baby, and you can see exactly where daycare started and I was either sick or taking care of sick people for the rest of the year lol. Didn't meet my goal but 2024 is going to be a pretty rad cycling year :toot:

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Given that 1,500 of those miles were from Oct 1st - Dec 31st because of a dumb challenge my friends made up, I'm pretty ok with it 🤙

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Grumpwagon posted:

Great year people!

Zwift seems generous, and doesn’t seem to account for drag in a realistic sense. I can ride with like a 160W (~2W/kg) average on Tempus Fugit and still end up very close to 19-20MPH. Outdoors on flat segments I would expect that to yield closer to 17-18MPH assuming I’m not in an aero optimized position all the time.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

tildes posted:

Yeah, I think they’re defs still more mobile than a mobility scooter and would want something a bit closer to regular biking/with pedaling. They’ve done some bike touring etc in the past and I think might be a bit resistant to something which feels too much like a mobility assistance device. Would definitely be curious what pops up ty!

I’ll have to see if I can find somewhere with them in stock. Especially given that the Catrike has a folding model it’s looking p good. It seems like Terra Trike, Ice, and Greenspeed are also mentioned alongside Catrike pretty often, maybe will look up those as well.

Oh interesting, a lot of the stuff online is saying that at like 15 mph+ they start to tip over but then you’ll also get trike riders disagreeing strongly. I guess I’ve got to find a LBS which sells these to try it out.

Where are you located? Urban Arrow and Butchers & Bicycles both make cargo-oriented e-trikes that look tremendously cool, but they're significant investments. It looks like 'Lectric makes one as well. Less expensive, and I've at least heard of them. See if your city has an ebike shop; they probably have some leads if you speak with them on the phone.

Edit: Rad Power Bikes has a RadTrike. I don't recommend Rad Power Bikes because they're hard to get replacement parts for and a lot of shops won't service them, but they're cheap as hell and at least a known player in the ebike market. Ask your local ebike shop if they'll touch a Rad Power bike.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 2, 2024

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I like bike

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Grumpwagon posted:

Great year people!

Riding on a smart trainer on like zwift will definitely give you more miles than you would get in the same time outside- no wind, no traffic lights, intersections, etc, ideal pavement and aerodynamics.

For a data point, my overall average speed on my current road bike is 16.9mph. My average speed on zwift is like 21. I definitely feel like it's cheating a bit when it comes to my total mileage for a year, especially in the winter when I can just go out in the garage for an hour and go "20" miles.

For other things like spin bikes and straight resistance trainers there isn't really any point in trying to measure speed or track distance imo.

Also yeah good year for me.

Couple of good race results too

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 2, 2024

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Holy poo poo

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:hmmyes:

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Lol my modest goal of 2000km on strava was ruined by me breaking my collarbone a couple of weeks ago. It fucken sucks.
I did it on the gentlest of chill bike rides with my 9 year old when my chain came off when I stood up to pedal. My foot hit the ground and I went forward and landed hard on my right elbow and shoulder. My son helped me get my chain back on and we rode the couple of km back home me with my hand up on my opposite shoulder..

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Sitting on a long boring flight and decided to total up some stuff for fun:

Managed ~1300mi this year past, mostly commuting with a couple trips in the UK on the ferry.

Next year will be my 40th birthday and my 30th year cycle commuting. I have no driving license.

My oldest regularly ridden commuter bike is a 1934 three speed Raleigh sports special (I am the second owner) with about 6000mi ridden and my newest bike is the 1st gen Tern GSD which is now about to roll over 5k.

My absolute oldest bike (needs restoring) is an c.1893 Sunbeam colonial service bike with some kind of weird 2 speed hub.

I've ridden on three continents and 6 islands. Commuting through Kampala daily was the wildest.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 3, 2024

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

ReelBigLizard posted:

My absolute oldest bike (needs restoring) is an c.1893 Sunbeam colonial service bike with some kind of weird 2 speed hub.

Sounds cool, any good pictures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I have a 2000 GT ZR1000 sitting upside-down in my garage with no wheels and a busted rear derailleur (some mid-to-late 2000's vintage of 105). It had Mavics but they got taco'd in 2013 when my craigslist bike rack came off of my car, and I had/have a newer bike so I just never replaced them and the thing went into storage for what has now been over a decade across four different homes.

The rest of the equipment is a mish-mash of 9 speed Shimano that the previous owner put together before he conned me into buying the bike off of him in the summer of 2008 for $450 when I was a stupid undergrad just getting into bikes (according to the internet a ZR1000 sold for about $500 in 2021, so maybe I wasn't that dumb, but also that one was full Dura Ace :P ). The crank and brakes and FD are tricolor 600- 6500 Ultegra (I believe they're original, the bike could be had new with Ultegra or DA) and they're lovely, the brifters are 9sp Sora and they suck poo poo, and the RD is the aforementioned broken 105.

Anyway I wanna get this bike back into riding shape and practice/learn how to put bikes together. It's a gorgeous frame from back in the day, the aluminum construction is just recent/primo enough to not feel like poo poo compared to my alloy bike from 2012, and it mocks me in its unfinished state. I thought about stripping it down and putting the frame up on a wall but that would just remind me of my 2008 folly.

I'm currently entertaining options ranging from sourcing the remaining 600-6500 parts I need/a whole group on ebay, to cobbling together a nicer(?) 9speed group, to upgrading the bike in some capacity to 10 or 11 sp.

If I upgrade, I'd prefer to keep the existing 600-6500 parts, although that seems like it would be pretty dumb/difficult/impossible in the case of the crank. The whole reason (aside from the ease of not having to deal with the bb) for keeping the 600 crank on the bike is because it looks pretty and it matches the overall era/age of the bike with the lacy looking outer chainring, and nobody makes aftermarket or drop-in chainrings in 10 or 11 sp for shimano 5-bolt. At least not in a style similar to the factory rings.

The best option in that regard appears to be getting some 6700 chainrings and putting them on the old crank, which looks like complete rear end, not to mention that any new components would almost certainly be black and the 6500 parts are finished in a snazzy silver/grey.

Am I correct in thinking that my best options (aside from stripping the frame and putting it on a wall) are ebay 6500 gruppo or full refit to R8000 because I'm stupid R7000? What do? Seems like the former would make a better display/history bike and the latter would make a better ride, which I don't really need but I don't want to drop $100-300 on some 25 year old parts and have them be a bear to work with or use either.

Edit: I don't think any 6500 is Tricolor, so those parts must be 6400, which means that they're not original to the bike. That fucker. I'm gonna check my old emails (purchased bike on CL) but IIRC he said he had downgraded the bike to be his trainer mule in 2003'ish. He must've stripped the whole groupset off (probably Dura Ace) and put them on a newer frame, slapping whatever he had on hand that worked onto this one. I remember he sold it as "Ultegra/105" and I showed up and looked at the Sora shifters and he still talked me into buying it because I wanted a bike and didn't know poo poo about poo poo beyond the basic "Sora-Tiagra-105-Ultegra-DA" ladder I'd read about online during work breaks.

Makes me lean more toward a full refit.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 3, 2024