Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Yeah, he put Ryan Ellis on the IR for months with that bullshit hit

gently caress Corey Perry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Why did they need an ASL interpreter if it was a fully instrumental performance of the national anthem :psyduck:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

OldSenileGuy posted:

Why did they need an ASL interpreter if it was a fully instrumental performance of the national anthem :psyduck:
*air guitars feverishly*

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

OldSenileGuy posted:

Really hard to read the lips on a guitar

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Eric the Mauve posted:

So that's the play NCN posted about up at the top of this page. Yeah there were no Lightning guys in the vicinity so the ref must have yelled at the goalie to play the puck, but Tampa's guys were already skating off and didn't hear it or pay attention. Still--the play isn't over unless you hear the whistle!

Unusual not to just blow the whistle in that particular situation though. Maybe the refs were pissed off at Cooper for some reason I dunno.

e: 8 minutes left in the period so I assume they had just resumed after the TV ad stoppage. Probably why the ref was slower with the whistle and wanted to just play on.

I ways figured the goalies had a right to freeze if they wanted to. Didn't know the refs could wave it off

Huh

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

That path leads to Bedard's mom's bedroom.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Cocaine Bear posted:

That path leads to Bedard's mom's bedroom.

i say this with all due respect as a bad poster

get out of here with dog poo poo stupid poo poo like this

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, that was a terrible post. My bad. If we had a mod I'd take a 6er.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Raanta, Samsonov, and Vanecek top three worst goalies on goals saved above expected

Well one of those guys hasn't been sent down yet

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

So that's the play NCN posted about up at the top of this page. Yeah there were no Lightning guys in the vicinity so the ref must have yelled at the goalie to play the puck, but Tampa's guys were already skating off and didn't hear it or pay attention. Still--the play isn't over unless you hear the whistle!

Unusual not to just blow the whistle in that particular situation though. Maybe the refs were pissed off at Cooper for some reason I dunno.

e: 8 minutes left in the period so I assume they had just resumed after the TV ad stoppage. Probably why the ref was slower with the whistle and wanted to just play on.

lmao

There's no Tampa player anywhere near the goalie! Yeah they'll usually blow it immediately as soon as an opposing player drifts within 10 feet of the goalie, and having a guy skate by to invoke a whistle is basically a formality, but Tampa didn't even do that.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I ways figured the goalies had a right to freeze if they wanted to. Didn't know the refs could wave it off

Huh

Yep, it's delay of game to freeze the puck if you're not being pressured. The refs are very loose with this and will allow goalies to freeze it with even the vaguest threat of a forecheck, but the other team still has to do something there.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I know Canada wasn't supposed to be as good as usual in the world juniors this year, but it is kind of jarring that Macklin Celebrini is the only player on their roster in the top 10 in scoring for the tournament. He's at 4-4-8 which is good for third. Also I said "top 10" but it's actually worse than that. Canada's next best scorers (Rehkopf and Yager are both at 2-2-4) are tied for 27th in scoring.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

a leaf prospect is their captain

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

T-Bone posted:

Raanta, Samsonov, and Vanecek top three worst goalies on goals saved above expected

Well one of those guys hasn't been sent down yet

Good things the devils have (checks notes) Akira Schmid

Hold on, getting an update on his save percentage now. Ah, well

(This is now where I get owned about his 2023 playoffs performance)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Did I miss us talking about this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdajo9qvIdg

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Call Your Grandma posted:

a leaf prospect is their captain

It says a lot about Canada’s team selection that they’re still giving prominent minutes and spots to guys like Minten, he wasn’t drafted with offense in mind to begin with. Captain, fine, he’s a responsible checker and vocal on the bench, but he never had the tools to justify 21 minutes a night and top PP time so his usage is crazy.

Then again watching the rest of the forwards it’s not like he’s an exception on the team, I have a hard time believing there aren’t any u20 players in the country that could shoot better than this bumbling group.

Hiekkakauppias
Mar 26, 2008

OJ's humble beginnings in acting helped prepare him for the media spotlight in Calgary
There was a pretty suspect goal at the end of first period in the Finland-Slovakia game. Time on the counter had run out a while before the goal, review said there was 0.2 seconds left.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
goal looked good to me tbh

Hiekkakauppias
Mar 26, 2008

OJ's humble beginnings in acting helped prepare him for the media spotlight in Calgary

ilmucche posted:

goal looked good to me tbh

Yeah i don't mean that it was a wrong/right call, but that was a long 1,7 seconds if the graphics were right. I suspect that the graphics don't follow the official time 1 to 1

The goal was both reviewed and challenged. .

Hiekkakauppias fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 2, 2024

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Hiekkakauppias posted:

Yeah i don't mean that it was a wrong/right call, but that was a long 1,7 seconds if the graphics were right. I suspect that the graphics don't follow the official time 1 to 1.

oh definitely not. there's still someone who's gotta hit the button.

finland coming out hard in the second here

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Surely Canada won't overreact to this loss

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Canada didn't look like a very good team this WJC and they just got eliminated by the czechs scoring with 11 seconds left in a QF

Verdict: always funny when canada doesn't get a medal and TSN has to scramble

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It's a shame we can't get a Sweden-USA final. Those two have looked like the best teams this tournament. If I had to bet now, I'm thinking it'll be USA vs Finland for the gold.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Surely Canada won't overreact to this loss

If the overreaction is “bring more talent instead of checkers” then doesn’t seem like a bad thing

Kale
May 14, 2010

sleep with the vicious posted:

Canada didn't look like a very good team this WJC and they just got eliminated by the czechs scoring with 11 seconds left in a QF

Yeah I could kind of tell based on the round robin that this was not gonna be Canada's year this year and they were probably going out either here or in the semis. It's how they lost those games and the teams they lost too and how close it was in some cases even in their wins. Getting scored on 3 times by Germany and being in the tough in a 3-3 tie with them for much of the 3rd period for example was a huge red flag going into the knockout rounds.

It's not like last year where they lost a flukey round robin game to one of the best teams Czechia has ever brought to the tournament where you could see like okay, poo poo happens, but this is a gold medal competitive team still with a hungry guy in Bedard as a huge X factor that will probably see them through. Just didn't have that aura about them at all in the round robin.

Kale fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 2, 2024

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

sleep with the vicious posted:

I mean if they saw that roster and didn’t come up with alternate programming in the event Canada poo poo the bed that’s on them. The days of Canada being guaranteed medallists ended in… 2014?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Kale posted:

It's not like last year where they lost a flukey round robin game to one of the best teams Czechia has ever brought to the tournament where you could see like okay, poo poo happens, but this is a gold medal competitive team still with a hungry guy in Bedard as a huge X factor that will probably see them through. Just didn't have that aura about them at all in the round robin.

Not just Bedard. Fantilli, Wright and Savoie along with korchinski on the blueline is like an entire PP1 unit. US is just missing Cooley and Sweden Carlsson. Slovakia with Slakovsky/Nemec probably still doesn't have the depth to compete but would have been fun.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Ryan Hartmann hit Cole Perfetti in the face with his stick after a faceoff and Perfetti had to get stitches. Then Hartmann told Perfetti he did it on purpose as payback for Dillon hurting Kaprizov the game before. Dillon and Lowry both fought before this to satisfy the 'code'. Perfetti was wearing a Mic and had proof that Hartmann did it on purpose.

The NHL gave Hartmann... The maximum allowable fine

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lmao

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Duck Rodgers posted:

Ryan Hartmann hit Cole Perfetti in the face with his stick after a faceoff and Perfetti had to get stitches. Then Hartmann told Perfetti he did it on purpose as payback for Dillon hurting Kaprizov the game before. Dillon and Lowry both fought before this to satisfy the 'code'. Perfetti was wearing a Mic and had proof that Hartmann did it on purpose.

The NHL gave Hartmann... The maximum allowable fine

Seems reasonable to me. Dillon didn't even have to pay a fine for injuring Kaprizov. It's not like it wasn't obvious that Dillon was targeting Kaprizov's lower back the whole game. Just more inconsistency from the NHL. So the refs weren't going to do anything, why not take some cheap shots?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Not sure what the issue is. It's been established this year that you're allowed to hit a guy in the head with your stick now if you're mad and he's pissing you off.

Kale
May 14, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

Not just Bedard. Fantilli, Wright and Savoie along with korchinski on the blueline is like an entire PP1 unit. US is just missing Cooley and Sweden Carlsson. Slovakia with Slakovsky/Nemec probably still doesn't have the depth to compete but would have been fun.

Yeah true, they brought a pretty crazy team last year that was gonna be tough to beat even with Czechia bringing that once in a generation amazing team. They just didn't have that sort of team this year at all really. Even if they had squeaked past this round I'm almost certain they were toast in the semis and doing no better than Bronze this year.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Jhet posted:

Seems reasonable to me. Dillon didn't even have to pay a fine for injuring Kaprizov. It's not like it wasn't obvious that Dillon was targeting Kaprizov's lower back the whole game. Just more inconsistency from the NHL. So the refs weren't going to do anything, why not take some cheap shots?

Yeah I don't understand why the NHL doesn't crack down on those sorts of cross checks. They happen all the time and regularly cause injuries, and refs and the NHL don't seem to care.

But when someone who gets suspended as often as Hartmann Gets caught on Mic admitting to purposely swinging a stick at someone's head you should probably give more than a fine

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Duck Rodgers posted:

Yeah I don't understand why the NHL doesn't crack down on those sorts of cross checks.

I mean, we know why, the league is run by regressive morons who despise skill and want to protect the jobs of physical players by making assault legal so long as it’s by the “right” kind of people.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The psychopathic violence is a feature not a bug.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's a shame we can't get a Sweden-USA final. Those two have looked like the best teams this tournament. If I had to bet now, I'm thinking it'll be USA vs Finland for the gold.

SWE-USA final is possible. If Sweden wins now, the semis will be USA-FIN and SWE-CZE.

Zat fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 2, 2024

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Apparently the audio from mics worn in game can't be used in disciplinary proceedings lol

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

I mean, we know why, the league is run by regressive morons who despise skill and want to protect the jobs of physical players by making assault legal so long as it’s by the “right” kind of people.

It's not just ownership. The PA is routinely against safety too.

An injured player gets paid by insurance, a suspended player loses their money.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It's not just ownership. The PA is routinely against safety too.

An injured player gets paid by insurance, a suspended player loses their money.
Stupidly low fines are player driven too.

Fines go to charity from the team side so they don't care, they are paying it anyways. Players are the ones that lose out and are the ones pushing the max in CBA negotiations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Zat posted:

SWE-USA final is possible. If Sweden wins now, the semis will be USA-FIN and SWE-CZE.

Oh yeah you're right, they reseed. I was looking at the IIHF website and it doesn't actually say that unless you click "more information". The way it's laid out on the site makes it look like the semis are Finland-Czechia and the US playing the winner of Sweden-Switzerland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Duck Rodgers posted:

Yeah I don't understand why the NHL doesn't crack down on those sorts of cross checks. They happen all the time and regularly cause injuries, and refs and the NHL don't seem to care.

But when someone who gets suspended as often as Hartmann Gets caught on Mic admitting to purposely swinging a stick at someone's head you should probably give more than a fine

I'd be perfectly happy for the NHL to consistently call those things. Then you could consistently also deal with Hartman and his poo poo stirring and I'd have no complaints. But you need to take care of the actions that are causing injury which they've not done. In the last two years it's those lovely cross checks that have knocked Kaprizov out for longer injury rests, and he's not the first the first player to get taken out by them. So if you're not going to take care of those as there is a risk of injury in them, then I don't mind the poo poo stirring back to also not get punished severely.

Can't wait for this to happen again in 10 days when Minnesota and Dallas play a home and away series as well. Suter is one of the old masters at those garbage cross checks.