Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

Isn't part of the reason they do that because they're never worn, and if they were and the rubber/plastic was flexed around a little they would actually last longer?

Yup, but if you dare to actually WEAR and USE the shoes? My god man you may as well just piss all over them because the value is shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

How are people still using desktop computers for anything

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

freeedr posted:

I like my computer to be in one place so being on the computer is an actual fixed physical space.

Also I like being easily able to pop open the tower to replace or upgrade any part I want.

I'm a massive nerd (and sign my posts)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Polyurethane foam breaks down in contact with moisture in the air, wearing the sneakers won't help (that might help with other plastics and rubber formulations that suffer from "drying out" due to loss of plasticizers, I guess?), best you can do is make sure the storage is dry.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

freeedr posted:

Phone screen small :saddowns:

I'm old and my eyesight isn't great

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The General posted:

Ehh, I'm not sure giving teenagers a free pass to rip people off is a good idea.
While that particular teenager was/is a fine aspiring conman, this is objectively a better outcome than deciding that minors - who are legally restricted in any number of other ways - are still somehow competent to make contracts for thousands of dollars. That would definitely end up worse for a bunch of kids getting conned.

Takes No Damage posted:

Isn't part of the reason they do that because they're never worn, and if they were and the rubber/plastic was flexed around a little they would actually last longer?
Wearing them helps, but the reality is that sneakers are just not made with materials that anticipated an unlimited lifespan. Sneakers are cheap shoes that wear out and get thrown away in a few years, there was never any reason for their materials to last decades. If you opt to wear them you can extend the life, but it doesn't fix the problem. This is actually an overall issue with plastics in general, because the decay is often due to an internal mechanism - it is turning out to be an issue with things like art, which will decay all on their own even under normally pristine museum conditions.

Lots of these materials are basically new so we just didn't understand how they would age until it started to happen.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Soul Dentist posted:

I punched the URL codes into Ask Jeeves and my Netscape crashed. Any help appreciated

That only works on ISDN.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anyone, regardless of age, should get a free pass to con, rob, or otherwise inconvenience real estate agents.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

freeedr posted:

If I wasn't poor I would get a desktop computer to play Total Warhammer 3.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

freeedr posted:

Laptop keyboards are poo poo, laptop screens are small. Smartphones and tablets would have no purpose since I'd leave them at home like I do my Nokia brick phone: I don't want the internet or computing to follow me around, I want to leave it behind when I'm not at home.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
desktops are generally better for gaming. only reason i use a laptop is because i move too much and don't have space for a desktop setup

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

freeedr posted:

Phones are nice for convenience but trying to do anything more than browse the web or look at pictures I'd much rather be on my 32" screen with mouse and keyboard and go to an actual website to do whatever I gotta do

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

you people without desktop computers are gonna get your goon cards revoked

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Anyone, regardless of age, should get a free pass to con, rob, or otherwise inconvenience real estate agents.

I clean a realtors office twice a week and can confirm they are subhuman parasites. With shocking digestive issues and bizarre rodentine habits

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Ror posted:

you people without desktop computers are gonna get your goon cards revoked

I have one at home but I don’t really use it for anything except the rare occasion when I need to sign up for something or pay something online and then off it goes again. I was being facetious about desktops but actually at home I don’t use computers at all except answering my smartphone I guess

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

freeedr posted:

I made a mental health decision years ago that the voices in my computer were not going to follow me everywhere. It's been great just having the voices in my head to keep me company. #tradlife

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Typing more than a few sentences with a phone is garbage and so my shitposting is quite limited if I only used a phone.

Edit: Also this way the only console I have is a switch.

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

Ashcans posted:

While that particular teenager was/is a fine aspiring conman, this is objectively a better outcome than deciding that minors - who are legally restricted in any number of other ways - are still somehow competent to make contracts for thousands of dollars. That would definitely end up worse for a bunch of kids getting conned.

17 year olds being able to enter into predatory contracts is the basis of our (America's) glorious student loan program and you can already see the fantastic results that has produced.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I have a gaming laptop which allows me to chill on my couch while shitposting and gaming. Also I can hang out with the kids in the same room while they do their own thing and I do my own thing without being completely closed off to them or with my back to them like I would be if were sitting behind a desk. It's super unhealthy for my lifestyle and posture but whatever.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

freeedr posted:

Why are TVs still a thing when you can just watch videos on your phone? Sometimes you use the app because you want to shitpost on the toilet or the bus, and sometimes you want to sit at a chair (or in my case on the couch) and shitpost on a large screen.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Being on the computer means I can eleventy thousand tabs open at once

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

Why are TVs still a thing when you can just watch videos on your phone? Sometimes you use the app because you want to shitpost on the toilet or the bus, and sometimes you want to sit at a chair (or in my case on the couch) and shitpost on a large screen.

Isn't Elon supposed to start replacing some volunteers' eyeballs with USB sockets this year, or something like that? Obsolete tech thread, welcome the human sensory organs

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fat Loser posted:

17 year olds being able to enter into predatory contracts is the basis of our (America's) glorious student loan program and you can already see the fantastic results that has produced.

Also the military

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Rappaport posted:

Isn't Elon supposed to start replacing some volunteers' eyeballs with USB sockets this year, or something like that? Obsolete tech thread, welcome the human sensory organs

what the gently caress

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I wouldn't be surprised if he promised that neuralink would produce some kind of tangible result this year, but that he made that promise has little if any bearing on whether or not it actually happens

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Ahh, I love it when a "visionary in real estate" gets busted as a scammer and a AirBnB slumlord:
https://dnyuz.com/2024/01/02/notorious-airbnb-host-charged-with-allegedly-running-8-5m-nationwide-scam/

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rappaport posted:

USB See

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I'm perfectly okay with tiktoks not embedding

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

The landlord article posted:

If Goel is convicted, the government could force him to forfeit all of the properties, according to the indictment. 

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I never understand goons performative hatred of social media while on social media and posting constantly in threads primarily consisting of...social media posts.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

iwentdoodie posted:

I never understand goons performative hatred of social media while on social media and posting constantly in threads primarily consisting of...social media posts.

This is the "good" social media vs TikTok/Twitter which is the "bad" social media.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Social media sucks and also can be good but this is just the evolution of "I don't even have a TV."

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Jan 2, 2024

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Unperson_47 posted:

Social media sucks and also can be good but this is just the evolution of "I don't even have a TV."

Yes but you could swirly those people much easier.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

I will die on the hill that forums, usenets, and IRCs are not "Social Media" as we collectively refer and think about the social media of today.

They are social media, but not what people mean by social media.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The General posted:

I will die on the hill that forums, usenets, and IRCs are not "Social Media" as we collectively refer and think about the social media of today.

It's a medium for being social. It's social media. No one cared about grognard definitions when bbs' existed no one cares now

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

iwentdoodie posted:

It's a medium for being social. It's social media. No one cared about grognard definitions when bbs' existed no one cares now

Education is knowing that forums are social media, wisdom is knowing not to put them into a social media salad

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Taeke posted:

I have a gaming laptop which allows me to chill on my couch while shitposting and gaming[...] It's super unhealthy for my lifestyle and posture but whatever.

:same:

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

The General posted:

Old social media was designed around the idea of conversation between people on a relatively equal footing. No likes or upvotes or downvotes or anything that could interfere with the flow of dialogue, which meant you'd be exposed to ideas that make you uncomfortable

Modern social media isn't designed to create conversation, it's designed to create followers and fandoms and echo chambers that can be monitized. Modern social media seeks to make a space where there are no uncomfortable conversations or any potential of them happening

At least that's how I've always experienced it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

das hipster posted:

Old social media was designed around the idea of conversation between people on a relatively equal footing. No likes or upvotes or downvotes or anything that could interfere with the flow of dialogue, which meant you'd be exposed to ideas that make you uncomfortable

Modern social media isn't designed to create conversation, it's designed to create followers and fandoms and echo chambers that can be monitized. Modern social media seeks to make a space where there are no uncomfortable conversations or any potential of them happening

👍

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

das hipster posted:

Xitter is packed full of uncomfortable conversations ever since Musk bought it