Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

I actually built my own for stuff like that because action cams are pretty bad at it. Small battery, overheat easily, difficult interface to mess with while driving.

Yeah this is my big concern. Seems like they get really hot, which presumably is going to add a lot of noise to the sensor

Don't have enough time to build my own thing though. I have a new job, and a toddler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I didn't have problems with image quality, the video I did get looked great. The problem with my camera (a dji action 2) is I could only get 15 minutes out of it before it throttled from the heat. To be fair this was in the middle of summer, but I was driving west in the mornings with it stuck to the inside of my windshield above air vents so it was getting some air and wasn't in direct sun. It just couldn't handle making a 4k hyperlapse for very long.

It also took ~10 minutes to cool down before I could do another 15 minute segment. Just too much trouble to bother keeping it going, but now that I type this perhaps I should give it another try with 1080p and see if that helps.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a GoPro 11 and in the summer heat it will overheat at high resolutions and high framerates.

If you’re doing 5.3k 60fps or 4k 120 it’s gonna choke. It never loses video quality though. I think it shuts off before the sensor gets crazy noisy from the heat.

2.7k or below at 24/30 or 60fps should essentially run for as long as you can give it power, unless you’re in Death Valley

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Going back to Lightroom alternative, I’ve been using capture one ever since I switched to fuji (x-trans and Lightroom did not play well together early on) and it’s generally been fine for me, but from what I gather they’ve been pissing off a lot of people lately?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Going back to Lightroom alternative, I’ve been using capture one ever since I switched to fuji (x-trans and Lightroom did not play well together early on) and it’s generally been fine for me, but from what I gather they’ve been pissing off a lot of people lately?

C1 user here. While I am not pissed off, I am disappointed that I cannot do distortion corrections on a TIFF file. I also find their chromatic aberration correction tool a bit weak.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dumb question: what's a good collective term for a "pro" or prosumer camera? Like 10 years ago you could mention a DSLR and people would know what you meant. And today we got mirrorless. But sometimes you want to be inclusive to both as a step above a P&S and as near as I can tell there's no convenient catch-all term for that tier.

To this point I've been using "big camera" but that's kinda dumb.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Point and shoots barely exist anymore. So if someone mentions they have a camera and they arnt talking about their phone I just assume it's a mirrorless/DSLR

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Big camera works. I sometimes use it to refer to my 5Div. Point and shoots may not really exist in a meaningful way anymore, but you can still get scrub tier DSLRs and bridge cameras. You could say ILC I guess but then you'd be explaining he acronym all the time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

xzzy posted:

Dumb question: what's a good collective term for a "pro" or prosumer camera? Like 10 years ago you could mention a DSLR and people would know what you meant. And today we got mirrorless. But sometimes you want to be inclusive to both as a step above a P&S and as near as I can tell there's no convenient catch-all term for that tier.

There’s a few “prosumer P&S” options like the Sony RX VII and ZV cams, the Ricoh GR line, and the Canon G7 stuff. I’d lump the Fuji X100 line in there too even though its form factor is more like a “real” camera. I don’t think they have a unified name since they’re so niche and come in many forms, but it’s definitely not a dead space for manufacturers.

I think just noting “camera” vs “phone” is enough distinction, as there are people doing pro work with some of these small cameras. The X100 line is popular with wedding photographers, for instance.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 31, 2023

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Might anyone know how the film photography situation is in Mexico City? I'm thinking of maybe just bringing my film camera and purchasing rolls and getting them scanned while there. It looks like there are some film places so I should be good?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Point and shoots are only dead in the sense that junk point and shoots really don’t exist. Modern P&S cameras are really good and basically work like their big mirrorless relatives minus the removable lens.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
what type of lens flare is this? i have never seen it before

Flare by Carl Jones, on Flickr

The lens used was a Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar MC 50mm f/1.8

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Another Person posted:

Who did you kill to get the exact sort of junk I'd pay good money for for free??? I only shoot Soviet lenses currently, all East Germans tho (CZJ and MOG).

The Mir should shoot a fair bit like the Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 20mm f/4 that I have. I think it may be partially a clone of that lens but slightly faster, but less sharp? Expect an angle so wide that the photograph feels very depersonalized. If you want your photos to feel 'alive', you will want to have an object pretty up close in focus, and that focusing distance is an insane like... 18cm on that I think (for how old it is, insane)? I know the Flektogon is like 16cm and that the Mir is not far off that (I considered that before buying the Flektogon).

For such an old, wide angle lens though, it is still rectilinear, so do not expect fish-eye like distortion. Infact, don't expect much distortion at all, unless you are playing with lines in horizons. It will definitely mess those up a bit and might need a touch here or there. It will also have a bit of CA, so expect to do some small amount of corrections.

I helped some old man with setting up a NUC for a tv and routers and such, and he knew i dabbled in photoing so when he cleaned his garage he found it stashed away. It was packed in some sort of foam(?) that had rotted away so it was glued to everything lol.

I have taken some pictures and it is indeed less sharp in the corners, but i am a simple center point focus kinda guy so it does not matter. I have only tried it on f3.5 but when the sun returns ill experiment with other values.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Another Person posted:

what type of lens flare is this? i have never seen it before

Flare by Carl Jones, on Flickr

The lens used was a Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar MC 50mm f/1.8

If you shoot stopped down (north of about f/13), then points of light become star shaped instead of nebulous halos.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Helen Highwater posted:

If you shoot stopped down (north of about f/13), then points of light become star shaped instead of nebulous halos.

Oh no, I don't mean the star points on the lights themselves. Stars is the fireworks themselves. Look to the bottom right quarter of the image - you see the blue shapes in an array clearly patterned after the fireworks? That is what I mean.

Fwiw, this was shot at 5.6.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
My guess is reflections between your sensor and the rear element of your lens. It seems to happen with adapted lenses with flatter rear elements. I get it on my Mamiya 55mm 1.4 sometimes. Never that severe, but I've never tried shooting fireworks with it.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

rockear posted:

My guess is reflections between your sensor and the rear element of your lens. It seems to happen with adapted lenses with flatter rear elements. I get it on my Mamiya 55mm 1.4 sometimes. Never that severe, but I've never tried shooting fireworks with it.

I was thinking the same, or possibly issues with polished/reflecting surfaces inside the lens adapter.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Alright. It's something I've only ever seen in that instance - possibly something caused by the intense brightness of what I would presume is magnesium caused light. It is much more intense than a flash can produce, after all. I'll keep my eye out for it in the future.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Big Mackson posted:

I helped some old man with setting up a NUC for a tv and routers and such, and he knew i dabbled in photoing so when he cleaned his garage he found it stashed away. It was packed in some sort of foam(?) that had rotted away so it was glued to everything lol.

I have taken some pictures and it is indeed less sharp in the corners, but i am a simple center point focus kinda guy so it does not matter. I have only tried it on f3.5 but when the sun returns ill experiment with other values.

oh forgot to respond on this - you don't need to wait for the sun to return to get something out of that lens - up to f/8 should still be good even in a muggy winter overcast day

the slower flektogon definitely seems to be able to cope up to that level - i've shot it at f/5.6 in the evening, so you can definitely get use out of that now

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Maybe a cheese question, but anyone have a New Year’s resolution around photography? I decided to make one after looking back on my 2023 photos. Since our second child was born in 2017, and with travel limited during the pandemic, about 90% of my photos have been of our kids the past few years. It’s great to capture memories because they are only this age once, but I’ve not gone out and shot non-family things nearly as much as I used to.

So in 2024 I am blocking off calendar time at least once a month to get out and shoot. I’m gonna look for things going on in the Minneapolis area for inspiration. I know it’s not the most inspirational to have to schedule versus going with what moves me in the moment, but it’s the reality of life these days.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Brrrmph posted:

Maybe a cheese question, but anyone have a New Year’s resolution around photography? I decided to make one after looking back on my 2023 photos. Since our second child was born in 2017, and with travel limited during the pandemic, about 90% of my photos have been of our kids the past few years. It’s great to capture memories because they are only this age once, but I’ve not gone out and shot non-family things nearly as much as I used to.

So in 2024 I am blocking off calendar time at least once a month to get out and shoot. I’m gonna look for things going on in the Minneapolis area for inspiration. I know it’s not the most inspirational to have to schedule versus going with what moves me in the moment, but it’s the reality of life these days.

I'm going to try to develop my landscape photography skills more. I get the occasional decent shot but I still find it hard to "see" the images that some other more experienced landscape photographers pick out in a given area. Often time I just see a lot of "stuff" and can't really get a decent image out of it.

Also working on (since last fall) drastically reducing the number of images in my collection. I doubt I have 1000 really good images if it really comes down to it, so why have 40x that sitting around taking up space and making it harder to find the good stuff?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Brrrmph posted:

Inspiration is bullshit. Make time to go do it even when you don't want to. Sometimes I feel awful, no energy, don't want to go out, don't feel like I am going to take any good shots, but I do it anyway and it's always better to have done it than not. Even when I am right and I come home with 2gb of garbage on the sd card I feel better about having gone than not, and it helps build my desire to go again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I watch the weather forecast. If I can get off work and the weather is gonna be lovely, I scrape my rear end out of the house and go shoot stuff. The shittier the weather the better.

Blue sky days are the days my camera gets to rest. Some people enjoy shooting in that but I really don't.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
gently caress inspiration just go for a walk with the camera. make your resolution to be going for regular walks and just bring the body and a single lens with you.

even if it's just litter you find out there. litter has been my specialty lately.

wings and shots wings and shots wings and shots by Carl Jones, on Flickr

dog ends in the jq by Carl Jones, on Flickr

if you want a resolution, make it being going out once a week no matter what (even if in your neighbourhood, and only for an hour), without a plan, and seeing what you find on the way. the single lens is just to force you to think about how to make something work you spot on the stroll. definitely block out some time if that is what you really want to do, but for a solid resolution you should be looking to force yourself out. just look at Objects and take a picture of them.

that's been what ive been up to when i sort of lack an object or idea of what to do most of the time. i find something, every time. that isn't inspiration, just happenstance that a pile of poo poo happened to be on the street, and i happened to be there too. i'd say it definitely keeps me interested, gives me cool ideas (especially since I retread the same ground often) and helps me improve.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 2, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Eh. There's something to be said for finding what inspires you to shoot and focusing on that as opposed to wandering aimlessly and photographing piles of trash because that's just what's there. If that is rewarding to you just because it keeps you active in the process or whatever, that's great, but it would just burn me out instantly.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Eh. There's something to be said for finding what inspires you to shoot and focusing on that as opposed to wandering aimlessly and photographing piles of trash because that's just what's there. If that is rewarding to you just because it keeps you active in the process or whatever, that's great, but it would just burn me out instantly.

Sure, but if you are doing blocked out times then you have a long downtime between. It's times like that where you lose motivation and passion. It can be worth forcing yourself out every week or two just to remind you why you love a thing, even if it's just to keep the teeth sharp. The thing I'm doing is just picking a neighbourhood over with a comb for a couple hours, and looking at the smallest things. I find there are usually at least ten interesting photos you could take doing that, and it isn't always trash. Should note, I'm also cramming it in in tight time between other things - for example, last time I was out was before a date, and Trades Council business. The time before that was parcelled in the downtime after a protest on the walk home.

I guess this could be spun instead as - just bring your camera out when you go out for a day for other things. If there is a downtime, see what pics you can take. Altho, this obviously becomes a poor sell if you use super-teles with an extremely expensive body.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 2, 2024

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Brrrmph posted:

Maybe a cheese question, but anyone have a New Year’s resolution around photography?

1. Sell a bunch of gear I have not touched in the last year.
2. Don't buy anything except film and chemistry.
3. Pay more attention and think more (sometimes less) before pressing the shutter.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I can't do the forced session either, I just don't feel like it results in interesting pictures for my tastes. I feel like having a subject is the most important thing for me, but I respect people who can be bothered to work purely on the technical side of photography and get the reps in. For me I have a bunch of hobbies I rotate through, it's not the end of the world if my camera sits unused for a couple of weeks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't see much distinction between shooting aimlessly every two weeks vs OP setting time aside each month to actually find something in their area they want to go shoot. I think their approach is fine and likely to be more productive for their goals.

And again, shooting random stuff with no purpose or drive would not remind me of why I love photography but bore me of it.

Another Person posted:

I guess this could be spun instead as - just bring your camera out when you go out for a day for other things. If there is a downtime, see what pics you can take.

Yeah, that's a lot more agreeable IMO.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

xzzy posted:

I don't think prosumer or pro have disappeared.

The basic tiers:

Consumer
Prosumer
Professional

But as mentioned, there are expensive P&S which could be considered Prosumer or Pro.

I would reference my Sony a7Riii mirrorless as a Prosumer Mirrorless. A Canon 5Dmkiv would still be a Prosumer DSLR.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Brrrmph posted:

Maybe a cheese question, but anyone have a New Year’s resolution around photography?

1) Take more pictures (go out more, not necessarily more shots. Gotta keep that thang on me)
2) Print more (the new Canon SELPHY will help with this)
3) Shoot more film. I have a fridge full of film sitting and waiting.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Forcing yourself to make photos is effective. It’s work. Most writers, painters, etc. will tell you the same. Sometimes you just have to force yourself, and sometimes that will result in some real crap. Some people are able to live their daily lives while still in a mindset also conducive to making great photos (however you define such things), but most of us don’t.

When I’m backpacking, the first couple days I am ALWAYS thinking ‘what a waste of time to bring this camera, I don’t have it anymore, I hate this, etc.’ but then i loosen up a little, so to speak, and things work out.

We don’t always have the luxury of time, but I suspect most people reading this agree that setting side time to be alone with your mind and your eye and a camera is immensely gratifying. There’s always time to look at a phone or some other screen, we’re all encouraged to do that. We have to encourage ourselves to make things that aren’t making someone else money. It’s worth it to ourselves.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Hm. I don't feel I ever have to force myself to take photos, but I AM consciously aware that the first few shots of any shoot are probably going to be trash and/or uninspired.

The camera goes with me everywhere, every time I leave the house. Which has left me with a ton of first-person driver shots.

After a few photos wherever I'm at I will inevitably find a thread of inspiration and follow it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I never plan ahead anything I shoot.
I go on walks and see something that catches my eye. I'll maybe walk around for a few minutes checking the angles or light, thinking about my settings but that's about it.

The actual taking of the image is by far the most enjoyable thing for me. That process. It's why I've never been able to enjoy phone cameras despite how good they are, they take what I enjoy out of photography.
I'll regularly come back from walks having taken dozens of shots and all will end up binned and that's fine

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

We don’t always have the luxury of time, but I suspect most people reading this agree that setting side time to be alone with your mind and your eye and a camera is immensely gratifying. There’s always time to look at a phone or some other screen, we’re all encouraged to do that. We have to encourage ourselves to make things that aren’t making someone else money. It’s worth it to ourselves.

This feels important to the craft.

Even at a more micro level: any location you're at, any street you turn down, any building you walk into... Take a moment to just slow down or stop and observe what's around you for a while. Become a great observer. Great photos are everywhere, and as photographers, we are detectives trying to find those great photos. Good detectives don't rush through their environments.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why I shoot, to slow down. It's too easy on a hike in the mountains to blast through everything trying to walk as many miles as possible.

But with a camera if I see something I'll stop and connect with nature for a while. It forces me to really appreciate what's out there. Usually the picture is trash but sometimes something cool happens and I can bring that moment back to the world.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Relevant video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMfYUVu73WQ

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Something that has come to my mind recently is the issue of monitors and how they display the images.

What is the best way to ensure that a picture shows as intended on all the screens on which it may be displayed? I have a two screen set up and I am shocked at how different the pictures can appear no the different displays and no amount of brightness, contrast and white balance seems to get them looking the same. Is there something I should do about that?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

You can calibrate your own with tools. But you can't do anything about what people are viewing your images on.

You could also use https://tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc-profiles-and-monitor-calibration-settings-database for a decent base of you don't wish to fork out the money for an calibrating tool.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The good news is that most people won't notice. They never saw your meticulously crafted masterpiece in the editing studio on your expensive calibrated screen, they're seeing it for the first time on their phone in full sunlight. So unless your processing is extremely heavy handed there's no reason to stress over how you "intended" it to look.

So edit for your normal viewing or printing situation and ignore everything else.