Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
yeah never use friends unless you are ready to fight the person you are charming lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If an errant cast of Friends or Detect Thoughts ever turns a group of NPCs against you, you can usually just flee combat as they are only Temporarily Hostile and will return to normal as soon as everyone zones out. The instances where this can permanently gently caress up a run are in situations like meeting Kagha or the coronation scene in Act 3, as them turning hostile there can close off quests and/or put you into an unwinnable combat encounter.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

This game is hard af. I'm on the quest where you need to kill the 3 goblin leaders. On youtube, all the videos on how to beat them are using cheese methods. Breaking bridges when they walk over them. Kicking them into a pit. None of them show how to legitimately beat them in a standard fight. Other players mention the great loot you miss out when you use those methods. The problem is I don't have the necessary things to even cheese them. Don't have multiple invisibility potions. Don't have illusion spells. And i'm not sure if I am at the appropriate level (I just reached 4). And I don't know if I just need to gain some levels, or if I should be using different characters. Or if it needs characters I didn't choose for my game. If I try to fight them normally, there's like 7 enemies I have no chance of taking them all down. Tried my best to separate them. Breaking war drums. But not having much like with that either.

And a lot of the best ways to go about things requires choosing a specific succession of dialogue choices, so i'm constantly reloading saves and choosing different dialogue choices to see if I can get a better outcome. So the pacing of the game for me is extremely slow. Spending hours or all day just on one quest. 25 hours in and i'm still around the starting area. I appreciate the freedom to go about things in so many different ways. But i'm thinking of trying the easiest mode.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 2, 2024

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Typo posted:

If I ever find the energy for another playthrough def gonna try gloomstalker rogue lol
fighter/monk

you want gloomstalker/assassin imo

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Jose posted:

you want gloomstalker/assassin imo

The crit on surprised characters is amazing.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ChocNitty posted:

This game is hard af. I'm on the quest where you need to kill the 3 goblin leaders. On youtube, all the videos on how to beat them are using cheese methods. Breaking bridges when they walk over them. Kicking them into a pit. None of them show how to legitimately beat them in a standard fight. Other players mention the great loot you miss out when you use those methods. The problem is I don't have the necessary things to even cheese them. Don't have multiple invisibility potions. Don't have illusion spells. And i'm not sure if I am at the appropriate level (I just reached 4). And I don't know if I just need to gain some levels, or if I should be using different characters. Or if it needs characters I didn't choose for my game. If I try to fight them normally, there's like 7 enemies I have no chance of taking them all down. Tried my best to separate them. Breaking war drums. But not having much like with that either.

And a lot of the best ways to go about things requires choosing a specific succession of dialogue choices, so i'm constantly reloading saves and choosing different dialogue choices to see if I can get a better outcome. So the pacing of the game for me is extremely slow. Spending hours or all day just on one quest. 25 hours in and i'm still around the starting area. I appreciate the freedom to go about things in so many different ways. But i'm thinking of trying the easiest mode.

Go do some other quests and come back at a higher level/with better gear imo.

Typo posted:

If I ever find the energy for another playthrough def gonna try gloomstalker rogue lol

so far my favorite class is bard+fighter and pure lore bard.

High charisma to pass speech checks most flexible class in the game. Can function as ranged dps+have access to some of the best CC spells in the game.

Maybe I'm just doing something wrong but I find clerics very underwhelming in act 3. In act 2 radiant guardian will carry your party for the whole act but one you get to act 3 the damage output from cleric dont' really scale. Plus you don't need sanctuary as get out of jail free card nearly as much anymore.

Plus in general there's not just as many good targets for AoE spells (outside of that house of grief fight where wall of fire is a life-saver). Feels like casters are just lackluster in Act 3 compare to the sheer damage output coming from fighter/monk

My sorceror felt stronger than ever in act 3, but I agree shadowheart started to feel like she was lagging behind. But then I summoned a djinni and it was good.

feller fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 2, 2024

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

I would not watch as many videos and obsess about how others do thing. This game gives you a 100 paths forward and some people take overly optimal/goofy ways of doing things that can give you the wrong impression. There are plenty of other places you could go at level 4 if you aren't strong enough. Also focus firing/scroll usage can win you most any fight in the game.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

feller posted:

My sorceror felt stronger than ever in act 3, but I agree shadowheart started to feel like she was lagging behind. But then I summoned a djinni and it was good.
yeah the djinn was super useful, the feast spell is also very useful since it prevents a bunch of annoying CCs like frighten on your party

but then all her other actions just feel so meh when all enemies have like 100+ hp and she does like 20 at best

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Mike the TV posted:

I've played 290 hours including pre release, and this was the first time I've run into a major scripting issue- Halsin introduced himself, then I long rested an hour later in the Underdark and he repeated the exact same introduction again. He was surprised I had already discovered a path to the Underdark - dude you're there right now!

I've encountered quite a few. Off the top of my head

- Dammon reminding Karlach about something he told her moments before and them having a 'previously on' about her engine going to explode, probably cos the game expected these convos to happen in separate acts
- a dialogue option coming up about what Shadowheart thinks about Isobel being Thorms daughter before I even knew that
- people left behind in the Grove talking about hiding in the sanctum during the attack (there was no attack in my playthrough)
- wyll seems to think we've discussed his father before but we haven't, i didn't enquire further

I don't hold it against the game though, it just makes me smile when I see one of the gears reveal itself like that since it mostly feels quite smooth.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Tempest Cleric makes a really strong caster. You can use your Divinity Action to automatically give your lightning or thunder spells the maximum available damage, and combine that with Quickened Spell from Sorc to create water on with your bonus action for max double damage AOE rolls on Turn 1. You also kind of have to respec Shadowheart for better caster stats anyway because her initial abilities are all over the place.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

also i really want to take jaheira in my party because she is the coolest person in the game but i dunno if i can get rid of any of my core three (karlach, gale and SH) at this point. i wish i could just mod in 1 extra party member...

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

ChocNitty posted:

Absolutely no shame in playing the easy mode to learn! I played through on easy as a fighter just to learn the systems. Didn’t have to think about much, just had to hit them with my sword. And then I learned how to use clerics a bit more, then I learned how to position my party so the rogue could get advantage, then I learned about what to do with wizards.

The game is still very fun on easy and there’s no harm in flipping between easy and standard as you get comfortable

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
So much of the environmental "puzzles" (usually, just getting around) want a Wizard in your party that it's genuinely annoying. I don't keep Gale in my party despite it, but come on!

Also feel like the game should give you a heads-up that if you're going to play a halfling or gnome that LOL you will struggle to make jumps that the game just assumes are simple, easy jumps, just normal jumps for getting around. Ring of Jumping is strapped to my Tav basically permanently with the only other option being Lae'zel's ability or a Wiz spell that would be a pretty much wasted slot.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

A high level full cleric isn't there to go raw damage, but to enable the other three party members to do their big dick DPS with impunity.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If you can't make a jump then just have Karlach throw you, it's a win-win.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

exquisite tea posted:

If you can't make a jump then just have Karlach throw you, it's a win-win.

I... huh. What a great idea lmao never thought of this. She's pretty permanent now too cause any party wants a melee martial and Lae'zel just annoys the hell out of me

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Thundarr posted:

A high level full cleric isn't there to go raw damage, but to enable the other three party members to do their big dick DPS with impunity.

Spoken like someone who didn't pick the storm domain

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why does Astarion seem like the strongest character out of the group? He's not strong in a glass-cannon kind of way either, he's strong in a "I'll break your bones and rip your spine out all whilst being wailed on by your buddy, before I do the same to him". He can really hold his own in a fight. I used to keep him purely at range as I thought he would be weak up close since he's a Rogue, but I've since started using him with daggers and he's insane. All his hits are in the 20s whilst the rest of the gang is lucky to hit anything above a 10.

Gale is almost useless, none of his spells ever hit so he just spends every turn adding zero value to the fight.

Karlach is really good with her frenzy and double (now triple at level 5) attacks. She's one of the group that regularly hits close to the 20s.

My Ranger is also borderline useless. He does Hunter's Mark and then proceeds to whiff the next 7 shots on 80% probability hits. When my guy does hit, he hits for a 12, and that's the top end.

So yeah, this is my party experience. Astarion and Karlach singlehandedly win all the fights, Gale and my Ranger act as decoys and trophy members of the gang. I don't know if it's because I'm doing something wrong or what. They've both got good gear on :shrug:

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Thundarr posted:

there's not that many ways to buff your party tho. You have bless and...what else?

also a lot of the more annoying debuffs can't be cured (i.e bone chill/command halt etc) by clerics. You don't need a dedicated healer in the game either.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Speaking of major scripting issues, when do you normally get the second part of Wyll's quest (ie, being tasked to save Mizora)? Long rest early in act 2, right?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

ChocNitty posted:

yeah just switch to explorer mode. the game gets so much better as you get into it, it would be a shame to miss.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

So much of the environmental "puzzles" (usually, just getting around) want a Wizard in your party that it's genuinely annoying. I don't keep Gale in my party despite it, but come on!

Also feel like the game should give you a heads-up that if you're going to play a halfling or gnome that LOL you will struggle to make jumps that the game just assumes are simple, easy jumps, just normal jumps for getting around. Ring of Jumping is strapped to my Tav basically permanently with the only other option being Lae'zel's ability or a Wiz spell that would be a pretty much wasted slot.

I’ve found success by switching to another party member to make the jump and the game will sometimes figure out a way to make my halfling Tav make the jump that I didn’t see

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Qubee posted:

Karlach is really good with her frenzy and double (now triple at level 5) attacks. She's one of the group that regularly hits close to the 20s.

Triple attack?

And yeah I agree, Karlach and Astarion just slap insanely hard. My Tav lore bard is pretty useless in battle and I swear her biggest utility is taking damage. For some reason the mobs want to target her specifically above anyone else so she ends up eating a bunch of damage while the rest of the party (not Shart) cleans up. Hmm... ooookay

Trevor Hale posted:

I’ve found success by switching to another party member to make the jump and the game will sometimes figure out a way to make my halfling Tav make the jump that I didn’t see

Yeah I've done this. Success rate is 50% at best but better than nothing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Speaking of major scripting issues, when do you normally get the second part of Wyll's quest (ie, being tasked to save Mizora)? Long rest early in act 2, right?

Usually as I walk toward the tower for the first time, it's an interrupt at the start of the bridge

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Typo posted:

there's not that many ways to buff your party tho. You have bless and...what else?

also a lot of the more annoying debuffs can't be cured (i.e bone chill/command halt etc) by clerics. You don't need a dedicated healer in the game either.

Heros' feast is good and doesn't require concentration

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. Lobe posted:

Spoken like someone who didn't pick the storm domain

12 levels of tempest cleric still isn't amazing for damage, and I did say full cleric as opposed to multiclass. And most people saying high level clerics feel underpowered don't seem to be multiclassing much at all, since you're right that tempest cleric + storm sorc is brutally powerful.

Typo posted:

I was mainly thinking about things like using gear effects to apply Bless + Blade Ward to everybody as a bonus action and then Radiant Orb-ing enemies makes it much less likely that a lucky hit or two will disable your front line fighters. And if you take a cleric to high level there's no reason not to use Heroes Feast and upcast Aid daily.

Or just run in with Guardian Spirits to finish off anything that Karlach didn't quite kill.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Azhais posted:

Usually as I walk toward the tower for the first time, it's an interrupt at the start of the bridge

Ok cool, my man has a ! on his head that won't go away and I'm not clear why

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Couple of act 1 questions:
- is there a way to utilize the stalactite in the owl bear room to inflict Major Damage?
- how are you SUPPOSED to maneuver through the poison + explosion gauntlet towards the end of the hag cave, that isn’t featherfall?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Once you spot the vents you can throw any sufficiently large object (shields, backpacks, clothing, etc.) to cover them. The Circle of Lights cantrip also disables them for some reason. But also, just use Featherfall.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Jay Rust posted:

Couple of act 1 questions:
- how are you SUPPOSED to maneuver through the poison + explosion gauntlet towards the end of the hag cave, that isn’t featherfall?

I don't know if there a specific intended solution, but if you have an elixir of poison resistance on you can just walk through the clouds.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Current hm run is going pretty well. Hit level 5, finished goblin camp. Did the first Underdark area. I actually went to the Underdark before finishing the Hag or goblin camp. There's easy xp and loot down there and if you use Glut to animate a bulette or hook horror you can easily beat the Duergar village. You can probably beat them without it too at level 4 but Glut makes it safer.

Using Karlach as a throw Barbarian for the first time and this spec does disgusting damage. Tavern brawler is so op. My Wizard often just casts enlarge on her and lets her clear everything out

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Once you spot the vents you can throw any sufficiently large object (shields, backpacks, clothing, etc.) to cover them. The Circle of Lights cantrip also disables them for some reason. But also, just use Featherfall.

The worst part is when everybody fails the perception check to see the vent.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Heros' feast is good and doesn't require concentration

yeah I use that regularly already and it's good

it still leaves a whole bunch of what feels like inefficient actions -during- combat tho

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Cast protection from good/evil on someone and have them equip a hag mask. They'll spot the vents and traps automatically and will negate the vents just by standing near them. Then everyone else can just walk past.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Cast protection from good/evil on someone and have them equip a hag mask. They'll spot the vents and traps automatically and will negate the vents just by standing near them. Then everyone else can just walk past.

That is legitimately super cool!!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Enhance leap is a ritual spell so if you're using it out of combat you don't need to waste a spell slot. Unless you mean it takes up a spot that you could otherwise use for... something? But in most cases you are probably going to be using 3-4 spells in any given combat, so dedicating some wizard spell slots to useful utility spells is fine if you're not interested in micromanaging your spell book every time you're about to go into a combat. (Which in most cases isn't all that tedious because you will generally be doing a decent amount of traversal between combats).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Typo posted:

yeah I use that regularly already and it's good

it still leaves a whole bunch of what feels like inefficient actions -during- combat tho

Nm, saw what you meant.

In any case if you don't need to use your cleric for buffs, what you should be doing is buffing radiant damage with magic items and turn them into a spirit guardian chainsaw to gently caress up groups of enemies. You can also multiclass storm cleric with paladin and do damage with smites because you get the option to max damage lightning/thunder and if you have the luck of the far realms, you can guarantee a crit each long rest (max double damage on a thunder smite followed up with the radiant smite on crit is bonkers damage).

Even then mono cleric has access to stuff like hold person and silence which can be extremely solid.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 2, 2024

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

My Tav lore bard is pretty useless in battle and I swear her biggest utility is taking damage. For some reason the mobs want to target her specifically above anyone else so she ends up eating a bunch of damage while the rest of the party (not Shart) cleans up. Hmm... ooookay

iirc the game's AI will target party members that it's more likely to hit (lower AC) and/or might disrupt Concentration. This is especially true on Tactician difficulty and less so on lower settings.

So, if your bard is lower AC and is often concentrating on a spell, the AI will likely try to target them over other party members.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Right now I've got Shadowheart just walking all over the place with Guardian Spirits + Phalar Aluve, marking targets for my Wizard to obliterate with Magic Missile. I think it's the most fun combo I've played yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

Right now I've got Shadowheart just walking all over the place with Guardian Spirits + Phalar Aluve, marking targets for my Wizard to obliterate with Magic Missile. I think it's the most fun combo I've played yet.

:hmmyes: