Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Doom Rooster posted:

Secondly, it’s perfectly flat, so it’s insanely easy to clean. Big flat glass tops look crazy dirty after just like, frying an egg. With no knobs to take off and clean, then clean around the knob hole/post, it’s just 10 seconds to spray and wipe to get it to looking showroom clean.

Spray what?

I like the idea of not having to clean the thing after cooking a single egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Spray what?

I like the idea of not having to clean the thing after cooking a single egg.

Then don’t get any form of glass top.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

:ccb::ccb::ccb::ccb:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cooking is a lot more pleasurable when you treat your countertop as a prep surface - commit to wiping it with a soapy rag before you start. Instantly your kitchen feels bigger because you don't need to worry about where to put the potatoes after you rinse / peel, and spilling a touch of sauce is NBD. I don't always need my biggest cutting board to always be clean - cutting surface can be any size if I can set things aside it.

If I had a glasstop I'd treat it exactly the same way - expect to give it a 20 second wipe, so there's no spill //splash guilt.

mystes
May 31, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

Cooking is a lot more pleasurable when you treat your countertop as a prep surface - commit to wiping it with a soapy rag before you start. Instantly your kitchen feels bigger because you don't need to worry about where to put the potatoes after you rinse / peel, and spilling a touch of sauce is NBD. I don't always need my biggest cutting board to always be clean - cutting surface can be any size if I can set things aside it.

If I had a glasstop I'd treat it exactly the same way - expect to give it a 20 second wipe, so there's no spill //splash guilt.
normalize stainless steel countertops

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

With glass cooktops I just give up immediately. Yeah it’s going to look like poo poo who cares.

mystes
May 31, 2006

with normal glass cooktops you have to constantly clean them or poo poo's going to burn though

probably less of a problem with induction

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Glass cooktops are so incredibly easy to keep clean. Much prefer it over my gas stove that required taking the cast iron gates off and cleaning underneath every time I used it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mystes posted:

with normal glass cooktops you have to constantly clean them or poo poo's going to burn though

IDK mine never burns, most of it is just scratches and metal from my pots :shrug:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

mystes posted:

Not only is induction easy to clean, when I'm cooking something I know is gonna spray grease or whatever everywhere, I just throw a row of paper towels directly under the pan to keep the mess a bit more contained. Magnets yo :science:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Not only is induction easy to clean, when I'm cooking something I know is gonna spray grease or whatever everywhere, I just throw a row of paper towels directly under the pan to keep the mess a bit more contained. Magnets yo :science:
drat that's neat

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sirotan posted:

Woah

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

Secondly, it’s perfectly flat, so it’s insanely easy to clean. Big flat glass tops look crazy dirty after just like, frying an egg. With no knobs to take off and clean, then clean around the knob hole/post, it’s just 10 seconds to spray and wipe to get it to looking showroom clean.

I love the touch controls on mine as well, i can directly choose the temp and it's so easy to clean. I feel physical knobs would be more fiddly and leave areas harder to clean and an ingress point into the hob. The fact the glass does not get too hot as well means I can wipe it down easily as I'm going.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I got these pads for my induction cooktop and have been a big fan. No more worrying about the cast iron scratching it up.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Alternative: grind the bottom of your pans to a mirror finish :v:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I'm on the fence about the dangers of teflon. My only remaining teflon item is the pot inside my rice cooker. Other than that I have only cast iron and stainless steel in my kitchen. Debating whether to replace the rice cooker too, but if there's any food that's going to stick, it's rice of course. Seeking opinions on this either way.

Somewhat related, is there a good implement to scrape cast iron pans (get out the bits of egg and stuff?)

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'm on the fence about the dangers of teflon. My only remaining teflon item is the pot inside my rice cooker.

Are you worried about ingesting Teflon, like if flakes come off into your food, or the chemicals that come off it if it’s heated to too high a temperature?

The later I would assume it’s hard to happen in a rice cooker (I’m guessing, but would think that most rice cookers would cut out before anything gets to 200+C). If the former, wouldn’t it just pass through you?

Not that I’m dismissing your desire to reduce Teflon though - I’m doing the same and getting rid of things like Teflon coated pots as they wear out in favour of plain stainless or ceramic coated.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

MisterBear posted:

If the former, wouldn’t it just pass through you?

My understanding the last time I read about this, which granted was like 10 years ago, is that teflon can be hazardous to at least your stomach and probably other parts of you, and that's why teflon cookware makers and testers do acknowledge (though imo slightly understate) the potential hazard of teflon + heat + wear/tear and that you should discard the pan if you overheat it or when it shows signs of wear.

I too have been slowly replacing my teflon cookware, in part because I don't like having the onus of continually evaluating the safety of my cookware over time and I don't believe most people (incl. me) are going to be particularly good at doing so.

I was just wondering the same thing about my rice cooker this past weekend in fact. I mean I can cook rice on a stovetop just fine in a stainless steel pot and it comes out fine / isn't that hard to clean, so I don't see why a rice cooker couldn't be teflon-free and still be nice to use. Curious to hear others' thoughts on this. Just committing to periodically replacing the inner pot also seems like an acceptable solution, if I can find the replacement pot.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Quality teflon cookware is made of a couple layers, a tougher one to bond to the (usually aluminum) pan, and a softer top layer which provides the non-stick properties. Teflon is basically chemically inert, which is the same property which makes it non-stick. Studies have found no evidence that ingesting teflon, or food cooked in teflon, has any impact on human health. Teflon is oven-safe to about 500F, but can produce harmful fumes when burned, which can happen easily over high heat since most teflon cookware is aluminum. If you never heat your pan dry and avoid using very high heat, this will never come up.

If you avoid using metal utensils and don't overheat your cookware, teflon non-stick pans can last for several years, but even when used with care the top non-stick layer will eventually degrade as plastic and wood utensils will still slowly rub off the soft top layer. This is a fine reason to ditch teflon, but there is no alternative non-stick product since other non-stick cookware (sol-gel, usually marketed as "ceramic nonstick") is even more shortlived. If you want to ditch your rice cooker over this, you can try a donabe, a traditional japanese clay pot. I've seen rice cookers that use a clay inner pot but they're very expensive and don't get particularly good reviews. NB, if a cooker is advertised as a ceramic pot, it's probably sol-gel.

PFOA, a chemical formerly used in the production of teflon, has been shown to cause kidney cancer. The risk was to workers in manufacturing (and to a lesser extent, the environment), as no PFOA remained in the finished teflon product. PFOA has not been used in teflon production since 2013.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
The situations that make Teflon dangerous (heating it dry for a long time, scraping with metal utensils) are maybe the least likely to occur in a rice cooker versus other cookware. I really don't think you should worry about it as long as you don't do anything stupid with it.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

prayer group posted:

The situations that make Teflon dangerous (heating it dry for a long time, scraping with metal utensils) are maybe the least likely to occur in a rice cooker versus other cookware. I really don't think you should worry about it as long as you don't do anything stupid with it.

I’ll buy that. Though your post just reminded me of cooking in college, when I would cut up chicken tenders, with metal knives, while they cooked in an already scraped to hell teflon pan :q:

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
My rice cooker is also my last piece of teflon in the house, though my motivation is more along the lines of wanting cookware that will last than potential health impacts. It survives, for the reasons people have mentioned already, and because it pains me to see rice wasted through sticking. I believe Buffalo makes rice cookers with uncoated steel pots, but I've never used one, so no guarantees on quality, sticking, etc.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7298781158014405934

Kitchenaid repairman does educational vids, sells aftermarket parts and does mail in repairs. Here he does maintenance on an 80 year old model

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I got these for 200$ (CAD):

I'm pretty sure they're Lagostina Martellata copper. Any opinion on them or on if I got a good deal?

They're 5 years old. I cooked with them once, and discoloration has already started in the frying pan but it's normal for copper and can be fixed with polishing.
These are my first real "expensive" pots and I hope to keep them for a long time.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Colonel J posted:

I got these for 200$ (CAD):

I'm pretty sure they're Lagostina Martellata copper. Any opinion on them or on if I got a good deal?

They're 5 years old. I cooked with them once, and discoloration has already started in the frying pan but it's normal for copper and can be fixed with polishing.
These are my first real "expensive" pots and I hope to keep them for a long time.

Looks like that set retails in the $375 (USD) range, so price-wise you did fine. According to documentation, it's tri-ply, which is the construction you want. In terms of cooking, if you're happy with it, that's the most important thing. One thing I don't see is any kind of a frying pan, you may want to look into adding that at some point.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Refurbished KA 8qt Commercial mixers just went back up on their site for $425 and I have been telling myself I'm gonna pull the trigger on my first stand mixer for months, but of course I started doing more research and now I'm second-guessing myself.

Because I want an Ankarsrum (the colors, duke, the colors).

I honestly don't make that much bread in the kitchen, but also because it's work intensive. I've made a bunch of no-knead, some buns, pizza dough, and brioche once. I would love to try homemade bagels and just bake stuff like buns and loaves more frequently instead of getting store-bought. But I've also always wanted a stand mixer for all of the other kitchen tasks like whipping cream and mixing batters on autopilot and I eventually would love to get stuff like meat grinding and pasta rolling attachments.

I'm not too bothered about spending an extra $300 on a machine I'll use for years, I think I'm more worried that I'll regret it if I struggle to do stuff like whipping cream and wish I just had a simple KA-style mixer. I know some people have both and basically just use the Ankarsrum for bread, but I've also seen people say the Ankarsrum does everything better if you know what you're doing. I'd really just like to get one machine and use it for a few years to see how it changes what I do in the kitchen and I know the KA would do that at a lower entry cost, but I'd also love to just get the perfect machine the first time and spend my time learning to use it right.

So I guess I'd just like some goonpinions from people who have used these machines.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

What is the best way to season a new cutting board? I got a big walnut end grain one as a gift a couple years ago but I haven’t used it yet because idk how to season it. Some online guides say to just wipe on a coat of mineral oil, some say wipe on several coats over the course of a few days. The most fussy video I have found on the subject recommends placing it in a trash bag full of warmed mineral oil for four days and repeating this process 4-5 times…I’m trying to not stretch this process out to 20 days, but I will do what’s necessary if it’s the way to make my board last lifetime.

https://www.newhampshirebowlandboard.com/blogs/blog/seasoning-new-and-not-so-new-wood-cutting-and-carving-boards-and-blocks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YruaZ9J0Bgc

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ror posted:

Refurbished KA 8qt Commercial mixers just went back up on their site for $425 and I have been telling myself I'm gonna pull the trigger on my first stand mixer for months, but of course I started doing more research and now I'm second-guessing myself.

I honestly don't make that much bread in the kitchen, but also because it's work intensive. I've made a bunch of no-knead, some buns, pizza dough, and brioche once. I would love to try homemade bagels and just bake stuff like buns and loaves more frequently instead of getting store-bought. But I've also always wanted a stand mixer for all of the other kitchen tasks like whipping cream and mixing batters on autopilot and I eventually would love to get stuff like meat grinding and pasta rolling attachments.

I'm not too bothered about spending an extra $300 on a machine I'll use for years, I think I'm more worried that I'll regret it if I struggle to do stuff like whipping cream and wish I just had a simple KA-style mixer. I know some people have both and basically just use the Ankarsrum for bread, but I've also seen people say the Ankarsrum does everything better if you know what you're doing. I'd really just like to get one machine and use it for a few years to see how it changes what I do in the kitchen and I know the KA would do that at a lower entry cost, but I'd also love to just get the perfect machine the first time and spend my time learning to use it right.

So I guess I'd just like some goonpinions from people who have used these machines.

I bought a refurb KA stand mixer (I think 'artisan', the basic one) a decade ago and it's been great. I will say that the accessories all seem to be extremely overpriced for what they're doing. I got the pasta extruding attachment, it was fine if your pasta dough was absolutely perfect and otherwise not fine at all, sounded like it was going to kill the machine. I ended up not using it and honestly a hand pasta roller/cutter that you can pick up for $40-50 bucks does a great job for that type of pasta. The mixer gets maybe an hour of use every 2-3 weeks doing stuff like muffins, cupcakes, cakes, bread dough, 'mashed' potatoes, etc. I keep it out on the counter so I just need to rinse the bowl and it's good to go - if it was in an annoying place I would definitely use it less.

kreeningsons posted:

What is the best way to season a new cutting board? I got a big walnut end grain one as a gift a couple years ago but I haven’t used it yet because idk how to season it. Some online guides say to just wipe on a coat of mineral oil, some say wipe on several coats over the course of a few days. The most fussy video I have found on the subject recommends placing it in a trash bag full of warmed mineral oil for four days and repeating this process 4-5 times…I’m trying to not stretch this process out to 20 days, but I will do what’s necessary if it’s the way to make my board last lifetime.

https://www.newhampshirebowlandboard.com/blogs/blog/seasoning-new-and-not-so-new-wood-cutting-and-carving-boards-and-blocks

I wouldn't worry as much as some people online want you to think they worry. A few liberal applications of mineral oil (also good on any wood you have in your kitchen near heat like on a kettle) should be good. Remember that you can always have it minimally planed down many years down the line to resurface it and have it be perfect again at nearly imperceptible loss of thickness.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 7, 2024

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Ror posted:

I make a 2 kg batch of pizza dough for a 6 person movie night every week and occasionally other things where it comes in handy (finicky emulsions for baking, frosting, whipped cream). I have an old 4.5 qt mixer I got off Craigslist for $50. its kinda worn (especially the locking mechanism) and that much dough climbs over the mixing hook, but it does the job without complaint, never slips or bogs down.

I don't have a ton of experience with bread beyond that but from what I've tried, most of the work and hassle comes after it leaves the stand mixer bowl.

Unless you bake for frequent parties or a house of 10, I can't imagine being better-served by a mixer that size as opposed to a smaller one that takes up less space.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

kreeningsons posted:

Just wipe it down with mineral oil whenever you remember. At the end of the day it's a big piece of wood. Those are pretty sturdy.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ror posted:

Got a 5 quart pro on sale for $200 a couple years back and its never had an issue with any bread/buttercream/whatever I've thrown at it since. The 4 quart basic model I had for a decade before that had a worn out locking mechanism and issues with heavy work, but I gave it a good clean and replaced some of the plastic bits before handing it off to a friend who it continues to serve well. You probably don't need something as big as 8 quarts and you probably don't need a commercial mixer. Would get a cheaper used KA in the short term and keep an eye out for your dream Ankarsrum at the right price even if it takes years to land.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have both a KA and Ankarsrum. The KA really only comes out for attachments (I had the KA before the Ankarsrum) or if I need to do two at once.

The ability to do low volume doughs and not have to scrape makes even doing a super enriched dough fire and forget. The KA you always have to scrape down, especially with small recipes.

I don't do much that is not bread. If you think you'll do even a bread a week I'd say it's worth it.

Whipping cream and stuff the Ank can definitely do, I think the major difference there is how you feed it while it's running and the beater attachment is just a smaller whisk.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 7, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Staub has a tall version of their 5 quart Dutch oven for $150-170 at most places. I’ve never seen the tall one before and have no idea how it performs compared to their regular ones. Any thoughts?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 8, 2024

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Staub has a tall version of their 5 quart Dutch oven for $150-170 at most places. I’ve never seen the tall one before and have no idea how it performs compared to their regular ones. Any thoughts?

I guess I've never wished my Dutch oven was smaller. This would be your second one I assume? When would you need two? It looks neat and it would be nice to have a lighter one for cleaning but I dunno.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nah if anything I’m waiting for a deal on a 7 quart and then I’d sell off my 5.5

Just curious why they would make a tall one. It seems like it wouldn’t collect heat as well from a burner, would be harder to stir

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Taller means it can hold more stuff. Unless you really need the surface area for browning I think it’s a good idea. It’ll work well for smaller stoves and may be easier to store.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Probably nice if you're using your dutch oven for deep frying.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I really ought to look for a dutch oven with that style lid, but used at a thrift shop. I figure I have 3 more years until my kids are camping-ready, and I have really good memories from my childhood of using it as originally intended, covered in coals.

I take it if I find an enameled one, that's fine? Or will the enamel on the outside react with the hot coals and mustard gas the campsite?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SubG posted:

Probably nice if you're using your dutch oven for deep frying.

I think a wok-style pan is better, no need for the oil in the bottom when everything floats to the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I adore my Ankarsrum, but I would not want it as my only mixer. The mixer attachment is made of clear plastic and has plastic gears, and I wouldn't trust it with a heavy cookie dough.