Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
wow do you want a PONY too second dinner is a SMALL INDIE COMPANY they ain't made of KEYS

now please enjoy having an extra week where you need to scrounge up currency for another new card every single month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
New cards are exciting but they're gonna hit a critical mass soon and have to figure something out. For instance lol at Beta Ray Bill just being Thor.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Beta Ray Bill is actually maybe a better Thor, but if you think Thor into Beta Ray Bill into Jane Foster into Mjolnir+Stormbreaker + Odin isn’t an extremely fun idea I dunno what to tell you!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I really hope they nerf the poo poo out of Caiera as I really don't want to pull spotlights today when I would get 1k tokens I don't want, and 2 ( although neat looking ) unnecessary variants. :(

Guess I'm banking on a skip and her getting Luke Cage treatment.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Waffleopolis posted:

I think a Spotlight key should be in the Conquest shop. One per season. :colbert:
They won’t even put tokens in there

We should all be happy that they at least gave us some Premium Mystery Variants

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Lockjaw is back! the more dogs in the meta the better

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Marx Headroom posted:

New cards are exciting but they're gonna hit a critical mass soon and have to figure something out. For instance lol at Beta Ray Bill just being Thor.

He's not "just Thor". He's better Daken as well. Thor is 4 power if you draw the hammer and 10 if you do. Bill is that as a baseline, with the edge that he starts slightly bigger and doing anything to buff his power counts double if you draw Stormbreaker.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Can't wait to play Black Widow on turn 5 to completely stop that

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ijyt posted:

wow i hate the post-100 matchmaking so much

Once you hit infinite you just switch to conquest for real games and use the infinite matchmaking for trash decks to get the weird dailies over with.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Every season now is just me clambering back up to infinite so I can booster farm on decks with cards I want splits for and then forcing myself to engage with Conquest enough for the card.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Nikumatic posted:

Every season now is just me clambering back up to infinite so I can booster farm on decks with cards I want splits for and then forcing myself to engage with Conquest enough for the card.

That's what the last couple of seasons have felt like to me and honestly it's getting to the 'this feels like work' stage of being ready to ditch a game.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Patch notes got published early. They're gone from the web already, but the gist is,

Loki > 4/6 Transform your hand. It means he doesn't pump Collector anymore. Don't think it takes him out of the meta. You already kind didn't want your Collector to get too big, since it made him vulnerable to tech.

Ms. Marvel > requires 2+ cards with unique costs at adjacent locations Bad change, I think, since lockout decks generally don't struggle to trigger this, but more linear decks like Marvel Hawk might. Just make her a loving 4/4/4 already.

Annihilus > 5/5 now moves -1 power and lower. Not more slinging rocks over. Meh? He was already close to dead, and I think the -2 power on the body kills him.

Dracula > 4/1 just a tiny power buff.

Angel > now flies out or your deck or hand. Still poo poo.

Quake > swap the position of the other two locations. Huge change. Turns Quake into a legit tech card.

Kingpin > 2/3 gives any enemy card that moves here -2 power. Interest change, but move decks suck so it doesn't matter for now.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Man if those patch notes are real this game is turbo dying. They will kill Annihilus outright after one cycle but they absolutely refuse to damage Loki at all??

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I don't know if this is a hot take but I think Beta Ray Bill is going to suck. He's got all the downsides of Thor with the additional downside that he comes down a turn later. Yeah of course you can go Thor/Bill/Jane/Woohoo, but if I draw all of my cards in the right order I can win too.

My thoughts (infinite every season for a while, usually hang in the 10k-15k rank since the change if that matters to you):
Skaar - Pretty good. He's usually a 4/11. That's no Ms. Marvel, but it's decent. Lockjaw, Moon Girl, and She Hulk make some interesting partners for him. Season pass is the best value for your money if you're looking to spend, so he's a buy if you're the type who is willing to drop :10bux: on a mobile game.

Caiera - loving broken. Hope you like Tall Boyz. T5 Sera into T6 Enchantress/Shang-Chi is going to be a thing for a while.
Note: High Evo and Nebula are both nutso too so this is a loving fantastic week to use your keys if you're missing these cards.

Hercules - Trash. Someone will make him work in some kind of move deck, but move decks are hard to play and not good enough to be worth the effort. I reserve the right to change this opinion if they patch Spider-Man 2099 to be able to multi-kill.
Spotlights: Werewolf - meh after the nerf. Howard the Duck - trash. Skip week.

Miek - Interesting. Traditional discard doesn't really have a true one-drop (I ran Nebula), but traditional discard is most definitely worse than Black Knight after the Chavez change. Probably like a 1/5 or 1/6 on average in a MODOK deck if you can find a way to make that work again.
Spotlights: Annihilus - cool rear end card. Not just for junk decks. Very fun. Phoenix Force - kind of bad, but also kind of fun. That being said, I believe Miek is releasing at S4 so this might be a skip week for keys unless you really, really want one of the two other cards.
edit: and they killed Annihilus while I was typing this up

Grandmaster - Someone will find a way to break this card. Worst case, just a sneaky Wong. Combos with Ravonna or Sera to be a 1 energy play on turn 6.
Spotlights: Loki - best deck in the game unless they patch him again. Hit Monkey - as someone who played Hit Monkey bounce for two straight months, I just have to say :( . This is a good week to use keys, especially if you didn't buy the Loki pass.

Beta Ray Bill - Probably not good. Thor was 4 energy in beta and he sucked. He does have the word "double" on his card, and that makes him a little scarier, but so does Daken.
Spotlights: Galactus - not a great deck anymore, but it still pisses people off. Elsa Bloodstone - see Hit Monkey comments. Skip week.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
Here is the leaked notes. No idea if they are real.
PATCH SUMMARY
This is our first patch back from our Holiday break, so it’s a bit more focused on polish and balance updates. As we look ahead to 2024, we hope you are as excited as we are!

BALANCE UPDATES
CARD UPDATES

Loki
[Old] 4/5 - On Reveal: Replace your hand with cards from your opponent's starting deck. Give them -1 cost.
[New] 4/6 - On Reveal: Transform your hand into cards from your opponent's starting deck and give them -1 Cost.

Developer Notes: Loki has been a force since release, fueling a new archetype that dominated the metagame for a solid stretch. Loki shrugged off our OTA nerf to 4/5–it was a small hit, but probably about half as effective as we'd hoped. We needed another patch to implement a second change, so we took the time to play with some fairly different changes and monitor the metagame. As December began, we even saw Loki falter–Darkhawk, Bounce, and Destroy were all winning the matchup convincingly. Blob-Thanos shook things up a bit, and Loki was able to squeak back into the mix on top.

Once we saw all that, we decided to soften our approach rather than pursue a larger rework. This adjustment will remove The Collector's role as a massive source of Power for Loki decks. The winningest card overall in the Loki decks has rarely actually been Loki–it was usually The Collector. That's actually fairly surprising because drawing The Collector earlier is much better than later when compared to Loki, meaning more "loser" Collectors are in the data. This change will be good for The Collector long-term, because future patches will be able to balance The Collector around its strength in other decks without the burden of Loki's glorious purpose.

Ms. Marvel
[Old] 4/5 - Ongoing: Adjacent locations where your cards have unique Costs have +5 Power.
[New] 4/5 - Ongoing: Your adjacent locations with 2+ cards and no repeated Costs have +5 Power.

Developer Notes: This is a small change in scope, but we expect it to have a meaningful impact. We released Ms. Marvel without requiring two cards in adjacent locations in part because we found it difficult to clearly communicate the effect when it had multiple conditions. However, something we learned from players was that for many of them, the default assumption was that two cards would be necessary anyway! Because we also weren't psyched about how well Ms. Marvel synergized with Professor X, this change captures better gameplay while shaving off a bit of the strength. Even though we adjusted the words, the card is otherwise the same as before–you just need two cards at an adjacent location instead of one.

Annihilus
[Old] 5/7 - On Reveal: Your cards with 0 or less Power switch sides. Destroy those that can't.
[New] 5/5 - On Reveal: Your cards with Power below 0 switch sides. Destroy those that can't.

Developer Notes: Even though internal playtests successfully "found" most of the Annihilus decks we've seen on top of the metagame, their performance was surprising. In particular, the strength of just playing Annihilus with Sentry and/or Hood in decks with no other synergies has been very good. During design, we widened Annihilus's condition to include 0 in part because we were worried it wouldn't be strong enough restricted to such a tight set of targets, but clearly that's sufficiently strong. Given that's the case, we're restoring our preferred design that requires cards to have negative Power, and taking a little base Power away from Annihilus. That might seem heavy, but Annihilus has been one of the most significant outliers in our card performance data for weeks now, at every level of play. Even more surprising, Annihilus was performing better in our most competitive samples than anywhere else–usually strength flattens up there.

Dracula
[Old] 4/0 - At the end of the game, discard a card from your hand. This has its Power.
[New] 4/1 - At the end of the game, discard a card from your hand to gain its Power.

Developer Notes: We're still monitoring the Discard decks' performance in the wake of losing America Chavez, and one of the cards most damaged by that change was Dracula. In addition to this minor buff, reworking Dracula this way makes his text more clear and provides us with additional balance knobs to buff or nerf him as necessary in the future. We like having more dials to turn.

Angel
[Old] 1/2 - When one of your cards is destroyed, this flies out of your deck to replace it.
[New] 1/2 - When one of your cards is destroyed, this flies out of your hand or deck to replace it.

Develper Notes: Hey, we did it! This change has been in the queue for a while, but we've delayed it to ensure we could implement and test the VFX. Angel's a card we give to players early, so we wanted to be sure we weren't breaking a charming piece of that new player experience.

Quake
[Old] 2/3 - On Reveal: If this is at the middle location, swap the positions of each location.
[New] 2/3 - On Reveal: Swap the positions of the other two locations.

Developer Notes: This is very similar to Angel, although our solution might have been less obvious. We expect Quake might become an interesting alternative to Scarlet Witch and a potent tech card against strategies relying on Storm or Legion.

Kingpin
[Old] 3/4 - When a card moves here on turn 6, destroy it.
[New] 2/3 - When an enemy card moves here, afflict it with -2 Power.

Developer Notes: One of the few remaining "loose ends" in our change to the move mechanic during the last patch was that Kingpin and Fisk Tower remained able to destroy cards thanks to Juggernaut. It's always been a source of confusion for some players, regardless of the outcome, and Kingpin's been weak enough that a rework was worth pursuing. This change makes the interaction with Juggernaut match existing expectations, because we consistently don't let unrevealed cards have their Power modified by other effects. We also made the effect asymmetrical and tried out an aggressive set of numbers to see if we could convince players to consider pairing Kingpin with Polaris or Spider-Man, in addition to being a tech card against cards like Phoenix and Silk. Another upside of this change is it adds good ways to adjust Kingpin via OTA and find the perfect spot.

America Chavez (text only)
[Old] 2/3 - On Reveal: The top card of your deck gets +2 Power.
[New] 2/3 - On Reveal: Give the top card of your deck +2 Power.

Developer Notes: This is a non-functional text update, just to make America better match our default choices for cards.

Bugfix: "After you play a card here…" and similar effects

We have a handful of non-intuitive interactions around “After you play” triggers for complicated coding reasons. The most prominent has been Angela, who would receive her Power when a card that was played to her location but revealed at a different one, thanks to something like Juggernaut. This doesn't match intuition around other uses of the word "play," which typically care about where a card finishes resolving, such as Death’s Domain. But, if she worked "the right way" in that case, it would mean working "the wrong way" with stuff like Spider-Man (she would not get the buff from Spiderman after he moves away). So either way, something would act unintuitively.

To solve that, we implemented a new functionality in this patch that allows us to track where a card began to reveal rather than just where it finished revealing. That means effects like the two above work more intuitively now–Juggernaut will stop unrevealed cards from buffing Angela and she'll now be able to get buffed by Spider-Man, even though he moves away before resolving. This is also going to fix a few of the bugs we've had with Luke's Bar, as cards that got bounced sometimes became untrackable for other triggers.

In the vast majority of cases, this change won't affect your gameplay experience at all. It really did only matter for a few corner cases. However, we're providing the list of cards and locations that have slightly different behavior now below.

Cards
Angela
Titania
Silk
Elsa Bloodstone
Negasonic Teenage Warhead
Werewolf By Night
Echo
Lockjaw

Locations
Altar of Death
Aunt May's
Bar Sinister
Cloning Vats
Danger Room
Death's Domain
Hotel Inferno
Lechuguilla
Luke's Bar
Machineworld
Noor Dimension
Orchis Forge
Quantum Realm
Quantum Tunnel
Shuri's Lab
Sinister London
Tarnax
Vibranium Mines
Vormir

LOCATION UPDATES
Fisk Tower
[Old] When a card moves here, destroy it.
[New] When a card moves here, afflict it with -4 Power.

Developer Notes: All of the notes for Kingpin above basically apply here. We still want a location that plays spoiler to movement, but without the confusing elements created by occasionally destroying unrevealed cards.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Skippy McPants posted:

Patch notes got published early. They're gone from the web already, but the gist is,

Loki > 4/6 Transform your hand. It means he doesn't pump Collector anymore. Don't think it takes him out of the meta. You already kind didn't want your Collector to get too big, since it made him vulnerable to tech.

Is this not live yet? I just lost to Loki pumping a collector in the new season.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Patch is Jan. 9th

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

CJ posted:

Is this not live yet? I just lost to Loki pumping a collector in the new season.

Patch is next week.

Also that Dracula change sucks if true and is actually a nerf. One of the benefits of Drac was that you could throw him into a location like Jotunheim or he could get hit by a Scorpion and he'd come out at the end of the game unscathed. Trash change that no one asked for.

e: I just read that again and they think that this is a buff? Jesus

AloePieceOfShit
Jan 26, 2020
Yeah that drac change is weird as hell. Real "Viper buff" energy. I guess it will make the freaks obsessed with Drac counters happy :(

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Honestly, it's really annoying and lazy that they keep changing cards all the time. Just loving test the cards and make balances before publishing.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

The Sean posted:

Honestly, it's really annoying and lazy that they keep changing cards all the time. Just loving test the cards and make balances before publishing.

Or that they’ll ignore real problem cards in order to take a swipe at… Dracula? Kingpin? What the gently caress? While literally buffing Loki again.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

The Sean posted:

I don’t always like their changes but the meta shifting constantly is the main reason I’m still playing

Also “just balance before publishing” is incredibly hard

Loki not buffing collector is a pretty big nerf

Kingpin and Drac changes are puzzling, I feel like there’s someone there who really loves High Evo and slips a sneaky buff in every patch

wyoak fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 2, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

What is the point of that Dracula change? It seems pointless to me

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I guess they can change his starting power with an OTA moving forward so it’ll be easier to tweak him

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

wyoak posted:

Loki not buffing collector is a pretty big nerf

It narrows his build paths, for sure. It's also notable that Quinjet won't work with Loki'ed cards anymore.

Don't think it'll be enough to kill him completely. Probably enough to make him not the best deck at higher ranks.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Took all 4 keys to get Caiera, but at least the variants are cool this week.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I've got 9000 tokens...to me, it seems spending 6000 for Caiera is worth it? Great fit for my Blob deck ,since I can't always get Armor out in time to protect Blob or another Big Boi from getting blasted before I can Taskmaster it.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

one the one hand everyone is right about that being actually a nerf to dracula

on the other hand everyone has been complaining for loving ever that you can't do anything to tech against dracula

on the third hand that means this change would've made a lot more sense before they hosed over dracula with the america change

second dinner, always with their finger on the pulse of the community

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Drac change is as much a buff as it is a nerf, since he'll gain power from locations/effects that buff cards too now.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Skippy McPants posted:

It narrows his build paths, for sure. It's also notable that Quinjet won't work with Loki'ed cards anymore.

Don't think it'll be enough to kill him completely. Probably enough to make him not the best deck at higher ranks.
I didn't think of the Quinjet thing but yeah if that doesn't work anymore that's huge. Definitely will require more thought/planning than it does now

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Skippy McPants posted:

* Just reading his changed text I was also thinking he would lose the Quinjet synergy, but I changed my mind because they don't mention that in the patch notes. The Quinjet + Loki combo is such a staple I can't imagine they would just not say anything.

Then again, the patch is a week away so maybe it's an early draft. Still, my money is on: no impact.

* Kingpin is interesting. It looks like a big buff to me because a) you can play him earlier and b) it works on every single turn, not just turn 6.

* Beyond excited with Quake. I've been saying I wanted that exact change since like forever.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I think Quinjet would still work. The transformed cards didn’t start in your deck.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Devo posted:

I think Quinjet would still work. The transformed cards didn’t start in your deck.

I'm not sure, because is it more like a "Pig" scenario? That doesn't become cheaper.

Which then prompts the question: do "Loki transformed" cards revert to their original power with a Shadow King?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Devo posted:

I think the language can be read either way. But they would mention it in the patch notes if that changed.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

wyoak posted:

Also “just balance before publishing” is incredibly hard

First off I want to note that I'm responding to the content and not taking a swipe at you.

IMO they should be doing enough to release a product that is viable from the start. Either 1) do it since that's what you're selling--a working cardgame or 2) don't and just hope that you don't get much attrition. 2 seems to be the strategy that they're going after.

Like the cybertruck demo where they had unbreakable windows or whatever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udxR5rBq_Vg
They can't just be like, "well, unbreakable windows are hard to make so you pointing out the broken window is not considerate." The difficulty of producing a product, and having it actually execute, is where you get market advantage. I don't buy old avocados just because it's hard to keep avocados from going bad.

Don't pretend you have a product that works when you clearly don't. I do imagine it's difficult to balance before publishing, but they should do the difficult work before selling it.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 2, 2024

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
They could certainly do a better job of balancing before publishing in many cases, some season pass cards have been obviously broken at release, but as long as the game is healthy there are going to be metas that emerge that they wouldn't have been able to plan for, and as long as they keep releasing cards with new abilities (some of which weren't thought of 12 months ago I would think), older cards usefulness can change dramatically

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

GarudaPrime posted:

Kingpin
[Old] 3/4 - When a card moves here on turn 6, destroy it.
[New] 2/3 - When an enemy card moves here, afflict it with -2 Power.

Developer Notes: One of the few remaining "loose ends" in our change to the move mechanic during the last patch was that Kingpin and Fisk Tower remained able to destroy cards thanks to Juggernaut. It's always been a source of confusion for some players, regardless of the outcome, and Kingpin's been weak enough that a rework was worth pursuing. This change makes the interaction with Juggernaut match existing expectations, because we consistently don't let unrevealed cards have their Power modified by other effects. We also made the effect asymmetrical and tried out an aggressive set of numbers to see if we could convince players to consider pairing Kingpin with Polaris or Spider-Man, in addition to being a tech card against cards like Phoenix and Silk. Another upside of this change is it adds good ways to adjust Kingpin via OTA and find the perfect spot.

LOCATION UPDATES
Fisk Tower
[Old] When a card moves here, destroy it.
[New] When a card moves here, afflict it with -4 Power.

Developer Notes: All of the notes for Kingpin above basically apply here. We still want a location that plays spoiler to movement, but without the confusing elements created by occasionally destroying unrevealed cards.

What the gently caress? There was literally nothing wrong with Kingpin or his Tower.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm not sure, because is it more like a "Pig" scenario? That doesn't become cheaper.

Which then prompts the question: do "Loki transformed" cards revert to their original power with a Shadow King?

Do the pigs not get cheaper? I thought they did.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Kingpin's change might be a decent buff, idk. Fits better lore-wise since there's some crossover with the Spiders AND Luke Cage ability-wise. Move decks need things like this to splash around with and see if they stick.

The tower change annoys me, Legion into Juggy was a fun combo that won't be nearly as fun now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

You'll be back in a better place in a few hours

haha, nope!! guess I gotta let it play out for a week because every deck I've faced is incredibly lovely to play against rn