Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Is there a fix for the "not found" bug or am I just stuck not knowing what any of the bosses' HM abilities are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

ChocNitty posted:

This game is hard af. I'm on the quest where you need to kill the 3 goblin leaders. On youtube, all the videos on how to beat them are using cheese methods.

Go see the cleric one and tell her you have a problem and drink what she gives you.

Then don't bother trying to escape.

Someone will come help and you don't have to do anything. This is the easiest solution to a quest ever and no one seems to have ever do it.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Comstar posted:

Go see the cleric one and tell her you have a problem and drink what she gives you.

Then don't bother trying to escape.

Someone will come help and you don't have to do anything. This is the easiest solution to a quest ever and no one seems to have ever do it.

Or you can pass your constitution check, she calls for help, and you fight the entire goblin camp right there.

Really the pro move is to get her in the room and don't even bother with dialogue, drop a silence spell and murder her.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

ChocNitty posted:

This game is hard af. I'm on the quest where you need to kill the 3 goblin leaders. On youtube, all the videos on how to beat them are using cheese methods. Breaking bridges when they walk over them. Kicking them into a pit. None of them show how to legitimately beat them in a standard fight. Other players mention the great loot you miss out when you use those methods. The problem is I don't have the necessary things to even cheese them. Don't have multiple invisibility potions. Don't have illusion spells. And i'm not sure if I am at the appropriate level (I just reached 4). And I don't know if I just need to gain some levels, or if I should be using different characters. Or if it needs characters I didn't choose for my game. If I try to fight them normally, there's like 7 enemies I have no chance of taking them all down. Tried my best to separate them. Breaking war drums. But not having much like with that either.

And a lot of the best ways to go about things requires choosing a specific succession of dialogue choices, so i'm constantly reloading saves and choosing different dialogue choices to see if I can get a better outcome. So the pacing of the game for me is extremely slow. Spending hours or all day just on one quest. 25 hours in and i'm still around the starting area. I appreciate the freedom to go about things in so many different ways. But i'm thinking of trying the easiest mode.

First just go in there as another True Soul, then isolate and assassinate them.

Priestess Gut - Wait till she goes back to her room, then either surround her and kill her in 1 round before she calls for help, or just start with a Silence so you can kill her without anyone noticing.

Then I try to kill off any side groups, like the torturers, or the goblins outside the pits (and inside the pits where Halsin is) in one-off battles before anyone else joins in.

Then I recruit the spiders, and open up the cage, and kill all the goblins in the big middle area.

Minthara, she is already fairly isolated, so that's an easy one to kill without alerting everyone. just make sure to have Thunder dmg to destroy the seeing eye, so there's no nearby witnesses

Then when you finally fight Dror, all the surrounding goblins are already dead, so you don't have to worry too much about adds, THEN let the spiders lead the battle. You can also Long Rest between all these fights, as there's really no rush, so you should be full strength. If it comes down to it, you can use Lump here too, but after the first time I did that, I realize it's not really needed unless you haven't cleaned up all the adds.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Somehow I got all the way to Dammon in the city and I don't have any infernal iron. Anybody know how to find some in act 3?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

OzFactor posted:

Somehow I got all the way to Dammon in the city and I don't have any infernal iron. Anybody know how to find some in act 3?

Pretty sure there's some in the foundry

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
When people refer to act 1, act 2, etc., are these marked by title cards in the game or is just something fans referred to during development?

right now I just killed nere and freed the gnomes and now i'm trying to take the haunted elevator up on the way to moonrise towers - is that act 1 or act 2?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

OzFactor posted:

Just smash some Steel Watchers. I'm fairly sure they drop the stuff.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

House of Hope at 12 on HM was easier than Grief at 11 or Ansur at 10 imo. Didn't save Hope though for the first time, she pretty much got one shotted by Raph on the second turn. Which allowed me to find out she has the only +4 shield in the game, third time through and still seeing new stuff. Vic's fortress is probably better for SH though and I don't currently have anyone else using a shield.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Cast protection from good/evil on someone and have them equip a hag mask. They'll spot the vents and traps automatically and will negate the vents just by standing near them. Then everyone else can just walk past.

That's a good buff in general for the Hag fight. I usually prebuff everyone with it before taking her on. Giving her disadvantage on attacks makes it a lot easier to survive the barrage of ray of sicknesses she throws at you before you take out her images.

I forget where in Act 1 but there's a lot of those scrolls and I usually have 4-5 by the time I fight her

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

When people refer to act 1, act 2, etc., are these marked by title cards in the game or is just something fans referred to during development?

right now I just killed nere and freed the gnomes and now i'm trying to take the haunted elevator up on the way to moonrise towers - is that act 1 or act 2?

The underdark is a little fuzzy on when Act 2 begins, but I'd consider Nere and co to be the start. They're level 5+ which means they start to get extra attacks and more complex spells, and Nere drops one of the moonlantern that you eventually need. They're not as intense as the Githyanki in the monastery so it's less visible: that's definitely an Act 2 zone as the difficulty of the enemies really spikes. A team of Gith can wreck your poo poo if you're used to goblins.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Eau de MacGowan posted:

You get an achievement for entering Act2 once you enter the shadowlands. Grove/Underdark/Mountain Pass are all Act 1.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

All of the goblin drums that they use to summon help are destructible, you can just blow up the drums if any of the goblins get near them if you don't have the damage yet to kill all the goblins before they can try.

Only Dror Ragzlin's death will aggro all the goblins. You can just pick them off group by group for the most part.

You can also do the same thing in the Act 2 main bad guy area, which makes the final fight there much, much, easier.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

So I bought the game on PS5 originally and am really enjoying it. So is my partner, which is great! Thus I bought the game again on PC, and now I'm trying to get my PS5 save to sync onto my PC copy. This... doesn't seem to be happening. I've got my Larian account connected on both platforms, the save is successfully uploading from the PS5, but just doesn't show up on PC. I tried creating a throwaway character on PC and saving there to see if it would kickstart the sync, but no dice (the save uploads there too, but doesn't download).

Is cross-save between PS5 and PC just not working currently? Or am I doing something wrong?

E: posting about it magically made it work, guess I was just being impatient.

Woebin fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 2, 2024

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Woebin posted:

So I bought the game on PS5 originally and am really enjoying it. So is my partner, which is great! Thus I bought the game again on PC, and now I'm trying to get my PS5 save to sync onto my PC copy. This... doesn't seem to be happening. I've got my Larian account connected on both platforms, the save is successfully uploading from the PS5, but just doesn't show up on PC. I tried creating a throwaway character on PC and saving there to see if it would kickstart the sync, but no dice (the save uploads there too, but doesn't download).

Is cross-save between PS5 and PC just not working currently? Or am I doing something wrong?

E: posting about it magically made it work, guess I was just being impatient.

I'm glad it worked for you, because the cloud saving stuff never really worked for me. I had to do a reinstall half way through my first attempt at playing the game and thankfully was able to back up the saves first, because man, they were just gone afterwards

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

I probably have loads left to do/discover in Shadowlands cos a lot of the map is still black and I know I'm leaving some quests I have unfinished but I'm pretty much ready to move on. This is a story playthrough mainly so I think leaving whatever cool equipment or battles they are for another playthrough would be better. It's not my favourite area anyway.

I swapped out Gale for Jaheira for now. I think I'll put Gale back in cos I doubt Jaheira has much story and Gale does, but Druid seems like a really cool class. I thought you would just get one animal form but you get loads and can just stay transformed.

Halsin left my camp though, cos I didn't cure the Shadowlands. Not sure how I would've done that. I initially killed Shadowheart to stop her killing Aylin, and felt okay about it, but then went back to try just persuading her and letting her choose, and she chose to totally abandon Shar and all that so this is even better. I am not sure if killing Aylin would have cured the Shadowlands or what, but whatever you're supposed to do, I missed it.

Made a save at the area gate to Baldur's Gate city, leave it there for tonight.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Am I eventually going to discover a vibrant town or city that I can use as a homebase to purchase items / potions / alchemy ingredients / etc?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Qubee posted:

Am I eventually going to discover a vibrant town or city that I can use as a homebase to purchase items / potions / alchemy ingredients / etc?

There's a couple of decently stocked ingredient stores once you reach the titular Baldur's Gate.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

roomtone posted:

Halsin left my camp though, cos I didn't cure the Shadowlands. Not sure how I would've done that. I initially killed Shadowheart to stop her killing Aylin, and felt okay about it, but then went back to try just persuading her and letting her choose, and she chose to totally abandon Shar and all that so this is even better. I am not sure if killing Aylin would have cured the Shadowlands or what, but whatever you're supposed to do, I missed it.

Without going into too much detail about this, there was a point in the Gauntlet of Shar (the weird pool) that gives you a warning that you are going to progress the world state. If you have not solved the issues by that point, you will no longer be able to do so. You have to help Halsin before that point. Aylin isn't directly connected to the Shadowlands curse, there are other quest pointers and plots that you uncover in the area that will help Halsin figure out what to do and you have to help him along with those. It isn't hard to miss the triggers for the shadowlands stuff, if you don't explore all the map and stay focused on the core quests you have been given when you arrive.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Qubee posted:

Yes but you also find traders all along the way to do that. When you finally get to a city in act 3, you will turbo find that. But there’s no lack in cars 1 and 2

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
yeah, lifting the shadow curse is not all that obvious, it's a side quest that doesn't appear to even be about the shadow curse at all

specifically, you need to investigate Art Cullagh's stuff, he's passed out in a trance in a bed on the ground floor of Last Light

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

roomtone posted:

also i really want to take jaheira in my party because she is the coolest person in the game but i dunno if i can get rid of any of my core three (karlach, gale and SH) at this point. i wish i could just mod in 1 extra party member...

You can on PC!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Expanded party plus the NPC clone mod and run around with Alfira

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Without going into too much detail about this, there was a point in the Gauntlet of Shar (the weird pool) that gives you a warning that you are going to progress the world state. If you have not solved the issues by that point, you will no longer be able to do so. You have to help Halsin before that point. Aylin isn't directly connected to the Shadowlands curse, there are other quest pointers and plots that you uncover in the area that will help Halsin figure out what to do and you have to help him along with those. It isn't hard to miss the triggers for the shadowlands stuff, if you don't explore all the map and stay focused on the core quests you have been given when you arrive.

weirdly, in my case I was able to go back and cleanse the shadowlands after we finished the entire moonrise tower/ketheric fight sequence. It did make the plot flags freak out though and Halsin kept messing up where we were in the story, plus all the cutscenes that would presumably be more spaced out as you do things ended up playing back to back to back lol

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Jay Rust posted:

Couple of act 1 questions:
- is there a way to utilize the stalactite in the owl bear room to inflict Major Damage?
- how are you SUPPOSED to maneuver through the poison + explosion gauntlet towards the end of the hag cave, that isn’t featherfall?

I don’t know on the first one but now I have another thing to keep an eye out for.

Another thing that I didn’t see mentioned you can always do with poison traps is throw something on to them.

You typically have to succeed on a perception check to see them, but once you do you can throw a vase or some other vendor junk on top of it to stop it up. I’m sure there’s a minimum weight required, but it’s not high whatever it is.

In the Underdark you can find one that has a backpack on it and you’re fine until you other pick it up or loot it and leave it too light.

The game lets you use a lot of very common sense solutions that are usually unavailable in lesser games.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I in Act 3, I robbed the Counting House vaults by throwing copper coins at the shutoff buttons on the walls :v:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

I in Act 3, I robbed the Counting House vaults by throwing copper coins at the shutoff buttons on the walls :v:

I looted like, a million lockbox keys for the counting house then COMPLETELY forgot about it. I also plum forgot about Minsc as well until Jaheira mentioned at the end of the game that she wishes she could've found him. Whoops :v:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bird with big dick posted:

At the Devil's Fee is there any disadvantage to just stealing the stuff and not paying the 10k? I've always just paid but money is tight enough right now on HM I'd rather keep the money but if it's gonna piss off Helsik or make her refuse to sell to me in the future or something I'll begrudgingly pay it

I killed the shopkeeper due to failing a pickpocket and had to work out what to do it was fun.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I looted like, a million lockbox keys for the counting house then COMPLETELY forgot about it. I also plum forgot about Minsc as well until Jaheira mentioned at the end of the game that she wishes she could've found him. Whoops :v:

Goddammit This post reminded me that I had found a bunch of vault keys and intended to open those, and completely forgot about it before the final showdown. Oh well.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
is there a more convenient way to get into the caged safes on the right than a potion of mist form?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7mq4GSA-Po

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ashcans posted:

Goddammit This post reminded me that I had found a bunch of vault keys and intended to open those, and completely forgot about it before the final showdown. Oh well.

I'm just looking at all that stuff as "presents to future me when I play the game again"

I'll have so much stuff to see for the first time (because I forgot about it entirely the last time)

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

House of Hope at 12 on HM was easier than Grief at 11 or Ansur at 10 imo. Didn't save Hope though for the first time, she pretty much got one shotted by Raph on the second turn. Which allowed me to find out she has the only +4 shield in the game, third time through and still seeing new stuff. Vic's fortress is probably better for SH though and I don't currently have anyone else using a shield.

Not my experience for sure, that's where my honor mode run ended, and I thought Grief was a piece of cake. How'd you beat House of Hope?

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 3, 2024

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

This was a miss for me. Just read as “I’m being soooo random anyway I hate the only female character who shows up in the whole video sooooooo raaaannnnndoooommmmmm”

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Geekboy posted:

This was a miss for me. Just read as “I’m being soooo random anyway I hate the only female character who shows up in the whole video sooooooo raaaannnnndoooommmmmm”

I think the best speedrun actually involves killing Shadowheart and putting her in a box though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I got a really funny durge specific glitch. Act 1 durge spoilers follow: it was a multiplayer session I was hosting, and I decided I wanted to save Alfira so I could get the fancy robe, so I knocked her out like you do. but I remembered that when I did that in single player, she showed up the last light with one hp. so I thought, well I'll just heal her up with some potions now while she's unconscious. apparently that means that she will still come join you at camp! except my rep with her was rock bottom, so I didn't get the scene where she asks to stay at your camp. she just showed up and wandered around the camp, refusing to speak to me because she hated me so much. of course the long rest happened and that was all she wrote. I genuinely am amused at all the weird things in this game that break intended behaviors, it's absolutely wild.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
The whole end of Act 2 was nuts. Knew extremely little of what was going to happen going in. Was absolutely not expecting J. Jonah Jameson (End of act 2 spoilers): to turn into a giant grim reaper.

3/4 of my party plus a water elemental were clustered on top of the platform where we’d been dogpiling Ketheric and by sheer chance the giant bone guy got to go next because my entire party was out of actions for the round. Surely the scythe the size of a bus can’t hit us all at once.

Collectively lost 100hp and got sent flying like bowling pins.. 10/10 opening boss move.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

AgentHaiTo posted:

I think the best speedrun actually involves killing Shadowheart and putting her in a box though.

Yeah. "Kill Shadowheart, then shove her corpse in a box, then light the box on fire, then throw the box off a cliff" might sound like monkeycheese nonsense but it is also, legitimately, how you beat the game in 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ttfeCqCZk

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah. "Kill Shadowheart, then shove her corpse in a box, then light the box on fire, then throw the box off a cliff" might sound like monkeycheese nonsense but it is also, legitimately, the proper way to beat the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ginette Reno posted:

Current hm run is going pretty well. Hit level 5, finished goblin camp. Did the first Underdark area. I actually went to the Underdark before finishing the Hag or goblin camp. There's easy xp and loot down there and if you use Glut to animate a bulette or hook horror you can easily beat the Duergar village. You can probably beat them without it too at level 4 but Glut makes it safer.

Using Karlach as a throw Barbarian for the first time and this spec does disgusting damage. Tavern brawler is so op. My Wizard often just casts enlarge on her and lets her clear everything out

I always leave Ethel for last so I can keep buying potions of giant strength off her every day. Can pretty easily get enough for the entire rest of the game.