Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Even if they didn't and the only thing they knew about Dersh was his age, why would you hire an 85 year old lawyer? They can't find some amoral piece of poo poo that's also not decrepit?

His epitaph won't be complete without defending the biggest piece of poo poo of his whole career.

Edit: vv I will die making GBS threads myself and laughing if it turns out the strike was done with US weapons

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s now being reported that the US was not given prior notice of this attack and was not told until the operation was already underway

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

gurragadon posted:

I think the list on the BDS website doesn't list enough companies or needs to be targeted more based on region to be effective. If they have longer lists on the website for economic boycotts, I can't find them, and they seem to be too focused on boycotting in a narrow way.

BDS is targeted the way it is in an attempt to cause maximum impact despite the relatively low level of support for the Palestinian cause amongst buyers of israeli goods. We might see the BDS list expand in the near future as sentiment continues to turn.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

BDS is targeted the way it is in an attempt to cause maximum impact despite the relatively low level of support for the Palestinian cause amongst buyers of israeli goods. We might see the BDS list expand in the near future as sentiment continues to turn.

Elaborating on this, a lot of the companies listed in the other website upthread are too big to meaningfully boycott without moving to a shack in the woods and living off the land. Nestle for instance is inescapable but should also be boycotted because hoo boy this isn't even close to the worst thing they've ever done

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

If they expand the list based on support that would make sense. A boycott list with nothing for me to boycott isn't very useful. If they put something like Nestle on their list than I might not be able to completely eliminate purchasing from them, but I would know at least to reduce buying from them.

They are ok with somewhat broad recommendations because one of the things on the BDS list is Israeli fruits and vegetables. The only way I would know that is if it was packaged and it said it, or if it is fresh (I don't know if there is any fresh Israeli produce sold in the United States, or how much) than I would rely on there being a sticker on it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think it's also worth saying that not every boycott has to be complete when you're dealing with an inescapably large bunch of bastards like Nestle. If you can't avoid them entirely, and I agree it's often difficult, then avoid them partially. Make a decision to avoid one of their products you can do without and support someone else instead.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

PT6A posted:

I think it's also worth saying that not every boycott has to be complete when you're dealing with an inescapably large bunch of bastards like Nestle. If you can't avoid them entirely, and I agree it's often difficult, then avoid them partially. Make a decision to avoid one of their products you can do without and support someone else instead.

Yeah this is what "no ethical consumption under capitalism means.

Or, watch the last season of the Good Place.

You can't be perfect but that doesn't mean you can't try to boycott what you can.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s now being reported that the US was not given prior notice of this attack and was not told until the operation was already underway

Makes you think of how many horrible attacks the US was aware and approving of.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

hadji murad posted:

Makes you think of how many horrible attacks the US was aware and approving of.

All of them. Even the ones it says it wasn't.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jaxyon posted:

All of them. Even the ones it says it wasn't.

Yeah, like if you don't believe the Israeli leadership is compromised by US intelligence to hell and back, I have a bridge to sell you. They absolutely know and at least implicitly approve everything that Israel is doing or planning to do. It's just that occasionally it's so inescapably vile or geopolitically inconvenient they find it beneficial to say "this wasn't us, we had no idea! I'm shocked, SHOCKED, to find there's gambling crimes against humanity going on in this establishment!"

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

DarklyDreaming posted:

Elaborating on this, a lot of the companies listed in the other website upthread are too big to meaningfully boycott without moving to a shack in the woods and living off the land. Nestle for instance is inescapable but should also be boycotted because hoo boy this isn't even close to the worst thing they've ever done

Israel going before the ICJ is cutting every nestle executive for the last 50+ years in line, the immeasurable toll of destruction to the environment, native agriculture, dead babies, people forcibly displaced by corruption or overt state action to their benefits is just monstrous. They literally sent people dressed like nurses to get poor undereducated people in Africa to effectively cause weining too early with free baby formula(that is itself nutritionally inferior) and then cut them off, putting the babies of these people at random. Effectively strip mining for what little wealth was there, leaving those who couldn't pay to watch their babies starve .due to many knock on effects of formula, many who could but didn't initially need to, because water safety is also a huge issue, or from malnutrition because they of course were dumping inferior product that couldn't be sold in the west. No crime can describe it but premeditated mass murder.

For some context, science on formula keeps improving but basically we have always known that it cant replace brest milk 100%. Its supposed to supplement inconsistent production or maternal nutritional deficiency (some people just can't express all those vitamins). Alone it misses out on several hormonal balancing factors, immune transfers, and other (poorly understood but documented) responses to the baby and rough development that change milk composition.

Baby formula is like trying to create a full days meal using nothing but the supermarket vitamin asle. Its going to have problems you don't have powderable solutions for, mutch less that it matches your needs rather than a generic approximation. Also it's very expensive.

As to the BDS stuff, it's very hard to run consumer level sanctions. BDS is fundamentally a packaged solution for business or government during a popular pro Palestine upswing, as consumers can't make ethical purchasing decisions due to concealed information a business or government can theoretically get ahold of, or use existing sanctions programs to harm. Ironically Citizens united basically kills all anti BDS laws, as it make expenditures speech. The only one that might survive is no BDS in government procurement partnerships or suing publicly traded companies on declined profits (though you could respond to that by saying it's designed to nurture future market growth by permanently stabilizing the region, and that other people doing BDS makes the targets too financially unstable to work with, or that you might become a target yourself). You might not be able to learn if a device has a Siemens chip in it but Raytheon or Meta might be able to and the feds certainly can.

As always do what you can.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Barrel Cactaur posted:

For some context, science on formula keeps improving but basically we have always known that it cant replace brest milk 100%. Its supposed to supplement inconsistent production or maternal nutritional deficiency (some people just can't express all those vitamins). Alone it misses out on several hormonal balancing factors, immune transfers, and other (poorly understood but documented) responses to the baby and rough development that change milk composition.

Baby formula is like trying to create a full days meal using nothing but the supermarket vitamin asle. Its going to have problems you don't have powderable solutions for, mutch less that it matches your needs rather than a generic approximation. Also it's very expensive.

I don't think anything you're saying about formula is correct. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old both raised exclusively on formula. We had no problems and no concerns from doctors or the hospital. My wife just couldn't produce. Formula is expensive but its also a wonderful thing that can fully support an infants growth, needs, and development.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I can't really say what the correct answer is but I know the formula vs breastmilk topic is really white hot contentious, even outside any context involving nestle's specific actions. There's probably some guidance on the subject I could find, or there may be a good A/T thread that's already done the work.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 24 hours!)

If one is interested in viewing reactions to October 7 as it played out in real time, it's difficult on social media after mass bans, but at least we have this thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754814&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=317

Still sifting through it, but-- whew!

Anyway, happy birthday, baby Kfir.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://x.com/haningdr/status/1742657664683855981?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Israel definitely seeing exactly how much poo poo Hezbollah is prepared to take.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

https://x.com/haningdr/status/1742657664683855981?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Israel definitely seeing exactly how much poo poo Hezbollah is prepared to take.

I don't doubt they'll take all the poo poo they get served. It's a dream that they'll really get involved in a meaningful way. They'll complain, lob some rockets and that'll be the end of it. Israel's has been routinely blowing up Hezbollah commanders for two decades now.

For Israel's loss in 2006, they still flattened half of Beirut, and Hezbollah has a sort of contract for existing that relies on them being a functional political entity, and the risk of getting parts of Lebanon blown apart is big enough to stay their hands. It's the same with Iran and the Houthis. They've got functional states they have to keep running, so that amount they'll really contribute to aiding Gaza is small.

Also, looks like bombing Yemen is back on the menu.

https://twitter.com/Breaking_4_News/status/1742608445130309654

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

I don't doubt they'll take all the poo poo they get served. It's a dream that they'll really get involved in a meaningful way. They'll complain, lob some rockets and that'll be the end of it. For Israel's loss in 2006, they still flattened half of Beirut, and Hezbollah has a sort of contract for existing that relies on them being a functional political entity, and the risk of getting parts of Lebanon blown apart is big enough to stay their hands. It's the same with Iran and the Houthis. They've got functional states they have to keep running, so that amount they'll really contribute to aiding Gaza is small.

Also, looks like bombing Yemen is back on the menu.

https://twitter.com/Breaking_4_News/status/1742608445130309654

I have about as much contempt for the "curse-the-Jews" guys as they have for me, but how can anyone write "We remain committed to the international rules-based order" on White House stationary without just immediately bursting into laughter/tears/flames?

This campaign seems like it might but probably won't wipe out the Houthis and definitely will terrorize enough innocent people to create many more Houthi movements within the next 2 decades.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's not clear to me what an international bombing campaign of yemen could achieve that the saudi air war and blockade failed at

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Here's a direct link to the actual statement. I have no idea how good a mediator "Breaking 4 News" is.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...united-kingdom/

There is nothing about bombing Yemen in the statement.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Here's a direct link to the actual statement. I have no idea how good a mediator "Breaking 4 News" is.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...united-kingdom/

There is nothing about bombing Yemen in the statement.

That's a good point but I don't know what else to infer from the allusion to "consequences." Restoring them to Foreign Terrorist Organization designation, maybe, but I don't know what else.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Civilized Fishbot posted:

That's a good point but I don't know what else to infer from the allusion to "consequences." Restoring them to Foreign Terrorist Organization designation, maybe, but I don't know what else.

blockade / international search of vessels leaving yemeni waters, sanctions

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I have about as much contempt for the "curse-the-Jews" guys as they have for me, but how can anyone write "We remain committed to the international rules-based order" on White House stationary without just immediately bursting into laughter/tears/flames?

Because bombing people is the international rules-based order as it applies to the powers that be

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
A total blockade, which equals war with Yemen, would be the only thing that could possibly make a difference. Nothing in, nothing out "legally".

It would also have a decent chance kicking off war with Iran, since they were already ultra pissed from Gaza and just moved to giga pissed from the recent bombing.

Oh and also create an even worse humanitarian catastrophe. But if the Houthi's keep messing with global trade, right or wrong someone will do something real about it soon.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Ugh I don't see how anyone could think that this is going to benefit anybody in the region whatsoever.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Grip it and rip it posted:

Ugh I don't see how anyone could think that this is going to benefit anybody in the region whatsoever.

I agree but at this point it's not even the stated goal (except so far as sailors passing through count as people "in the region"). In the statement they could've, if they wanted, made a hundred human rights points about how the Houthis are bad for the people in Yemen but instead it's statistics about how much trade goes through the Red Sea and talk about the resulting costs and delays.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Grip it and rip it posted:

Iran benefits the most since a secondary motivation to everything they do here is to cause chaos with all their gulf state adversaries.

Orthanc6 posted:

A total blockade, which equals war with Yemen, would be the only thing that could possibly make a difference. Nothing in, nothing out "legally".

It would also have a decent chance kicking off war with Iran, since they were already ultra pissed from Gaza and just moved to giga pissed from the recent bombing.

Oh and also create an even worse humanitarian catastrophe. But if the Houthi's keep messing with global trade, right or wrong someone will do something real about it soon.

I don't think it takes that much. The sorta pirate boats getting popped combined with munitions being sent to drone launch sites will more likely than not cause them to back off. Somali piracy was a scourge 12/13 years ago and today it's almost nothing. The cost to continue got too high when enough entities were irritated enough to finally do something about it, and I expect it'll be the same here. There's also the chance that some gulf state or group just back channel pays the Houthis off. Up until now there's been no real cost to taking pot shots at ships moving past Yemen, so they continued. The Houthis have to maintain the part of Yemen they took over as a functional state, or they risk taking their semi-frozen civil war and reigniting it. If this goes long enough I'd expect even China decides to get involved when it costs them too much.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

nesbit37 posted:

I don't think anything you're saying about formula is correct. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old both raised exclusively on formula. We had no problems and no concerns from doctors or the hospital. My wife just couldn't produce. Formula is expensive but its also a wonderful thing that can fully support an infants growth, needs, and development.

Your in effectively the catastrophic case, and you have the ability to safely use it. This is wonderful. I'm confident your pediatrician would have not recommended 100% formula if your wife could express milk. Its a undeniably useful tool. By not 100% replacement, and it has several in built assumptions in its design, I was trying to explain the way they were marketing it fraudulently as a preferable option, not to dismiss the actual use case of substitution in case of actual inability. I could have been more clear and I apologize.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

Reminder that Houthis are not Yemen and Hezbollah are not Lebanon.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Nameless_Steve posted:

Seems like saying "the Democratic Party isn't the United States." Technically true but weirdly pedantic.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Nameless_Steve posted:

The Saudi's war against the Houthis lead to a famine that effected all of Yemen.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Muscle Tracer posted:

Seems like saying "the Democratic Party isn't the United States." Technically true but weirdly pedantic.

No it isn't because "Gazans are Hamas" is what is enabling the ongoing genocide there.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jaxyon posted:

No it isn't because "Gazans are Hamas" is what is enabling the ongoing genocide there.

Buddy I hate to tell you this, but it'd be happening regardless even if "Gazans are Hamas" wasn't an obvious none sequitor. The reason it's happening is because the world hegemon is backing one side in this conflict and refusing to let anyone else intervene without threatening violence.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 4, 2024

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

nesbit37 posted:

Formula is important. It works well when breast milk is unavailable and you have clean water. The problems caused by Nestle were the encouragement to use formula and also handing out a sample supply (like a drug dealer). Breast milk then dries up over the course of the sample and you have a load of poor people feeding their kids formula mixed with possibly dirty water or unable to afford it = leads to all sorts of malnutrition. It's a truly horrific, corporate disaster.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
On today's episode of "it's totally not genocide"

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-in-talks-with-congo-and-other-countries-on-gaza-voluntary-migration-plan/

quote:

The “voluntary” resettlement of Palestinians from Gaza is slowly becoming a key official policy of the government, with a senior official saying that Israel has held talks with several countries for their potential absorption.

Zman Israel, The Times of Israel’s Hebrew sister site, has learned that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s coalition is conducting secret contacts for accepting thousands of immigrants from Gaza with Congo, in addition to other nations.

“Congo will be willing to take in migrants, and we’re in talks with others,” a senior source in the security cabinet said.

Congo has high levels of inequality, and 52.5 percent of the population lives below the poverty line, according to the World Food Programme.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
christ they might as well consider madagascar and bring the ironic farce full circle

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Jaxyon posted:

"Gazans are Hamas"

Setting aside that this genocidal intent predates and caused Hamas...

"Americans are Democrats" or "Israelis are Likud" would be equally untrue. It results in obviously dumb constructions like "the Hamas health ministry."

It's like "oligarch" or "terrorist," a word (or in this case a general approach) that is only used to other and delegitimize their subjects.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 4, 2024

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica

I meant more that Lebanon and Yemen have legitimate governments, however compromised they are by terrorist groups.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Setting aside that this genocidal intent predates and caused Hamas...
Hamas is nothing new, they have fedayeen predecessors going throughout the decades back to 1936 and the Black Hand of Izz Din Qassam, who they still name everything after.

quote:

obviously dumb constructions like "the Hamas health ministry."

But the health ministry reports to Hamas and has repeatedly falsified data and reports before to suit Hamas propaganda. Especially after they were caught inflating the death toll of the Al-Ahli parking lot bombing by 450+, the media should have stopped reporting their numbers at all instead of merely including that disclaimer.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
"Houthi is not Yemen" and "Hezbullah are not Lebanon" aren't talking points to avoid collective punishment, they're attempts to delegitimize organizations with majority support within their countries. It's essentially being a sore loser, efforts to dislodge both failed so we'll just point to the saudi-led rump statepatch and pout.

Nameless_Steve posted:

But the health ministry reports to Hamas and has repeatedly falsified data and reports before to suit Hamas propaganda.

Care to provide an example? Because we have nearly two decades of the opposite; they're usually within 5-10% of the final number, often undercounting. Internal cables across four administrations have accepted their reporting as reliable.

quote:

Especially after they were caught inflating the death toll of the Al-Ahli parking lot bombing by 450+,

They provided a full PDF of casualties up to that point, with ID numbers that Gaza/West Bank/Israel can validate, including those killed at Ahli. The only corroboration, last I checked, for lower casualties was an offhand remark by the State Department representatives (who have peddled just about every falsehood offered to them, at this point.)

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 4, 2024

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Nameless_Steve posted:

But the health ministry reports to Hamas and has repeatedly falsified data and reports before to suit Hamas propaganda. Especially after they were caught inflating the death toll of the Al-Ahli parking lot bombing by 450+, the media should have stopped reporting their numbers at all instead of merely including that disclaimer.

When did they confirm that 950 people died in that bombing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Nameless_Steve posted:

But the health ministry reports to Hamas and has repeatedly falsified data and reports before to suit Hamas propaganda.

This is a wild claim to make without providing cited evidence