Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Hyrax Attack! posted:

oddly known only as Rookie like they’re ripping off Rebel Assault.

Tons of older games did that, usually before 2009. Any old FMV game would always refer to the faceless player as Commander or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

"You're a hero to us all, Rookie One."

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
That's a good point about the merchandising and cartoon shows making Ghostbusters seem like a more serious franchise than it was meant to be. It'd be like if, say, Men in Black for some reason got a ton of lore and backstory and today they released a sentimental distant "sequel".

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

tango alpha delta posted:

The fans ruined Ghostbusters when they started to take it seriously.

If there's one thing to take away from this thread it's that fans ruin everything.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The 2009 Ghostbusters video game was surprisingly good

I had fun with the new game Ghostbusters Spirits Unleashed. You and four other players fan out to find the ghost with your PKE meters but you have to join back up to actually catch it. The music is the best part though, they hit the vibe right without just replaying the original score over and over. It was worth $40 imo.*

*Take this with a grain of salt as I fully admit I am a obsessed weirdo for the franchise.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The first movie was pretty good. Not great, but a solid and creative comedy movie with some good performances.

I really enjoyed Ghostbusters 2 as a kid. I got a kick out of them controlling the Statue of Liberty with an NES advantage. That was a big deal for little me. As an adult I see it as kind of a poorer version of the original.

I also remember the cartoon and toys of course, but the regard it has now must definitely be nostalgia because I don't remember it being in such high regard or that big of a deal until like two decades later.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Ghostbusters wasn't much more than a polished sleazeball comedy like ones before and after it. As a kid, I didn't think much about it. It had an ensemble cast which elevated it and gave it a legacy. I prefered Eddie Murphy and Coming to America from that era (which never got mainstream praise). But like someone said, 20 years later Ghostbusters became a litmus test for if you really knew comedy.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol since this is now Ghostbusters chat, that cast was pretty stacked in 1984. Bill Murry was coming off Caddyshack, Stripes, Akyrod had Blues Brothers in 80. Weaver had Alien. I knew Moranis from a movie I just loved, Strange Brew. It's a fun concept with a great cast.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

emSparkly posted:

I liked ghosts as a kid. I wanted to hang out with Casper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSpvtwt-4HU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Ghostbusters is kind of the first 'Marvel' movie. FX, costumes, monsters, and a lot of comedy bits. There's probably less comedy in Ghostbusters than one of the Avengers movies.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It took me way too long to realize you guys weren't talking about the Ghostbusters cartoon with the goth chick.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JediTalentAgent posted:

Ghostbusters is kind of the first 'Marvel' movie. FX, costumes, monsters, and a lot of comedy bits. There's probably less comedy in Ghostbusters than one of the Avengers movies.

I don't know, it's pretty stacked with gags, but has at least four characters doing quite different bits, sort of in solitude.

Murray is doing his usual charming sleazeball slacker bit, Aykroyd is doing an oblivious nerd bit and Ramis doing a really dry, I guess, sort of autistic guy bit. On top of that you have Moranis doing like, a 4th kind of nebbish, wacky guy with broader physical stuff.

I don't think there are less gags than an Avengers movie, but it does feel like each character is in a slightly different movie and some lines that might hit for one person might not register for others at all. Like, as a kid, I knew Ray was funny and I definitely knew Rick Moranis was funny but no-one was ever nudging me in the ribs like in a Marvel movie (and as much as that stuff is exhausting, it did come off the back of action movies being exceedingly dry and stuff like the self-serious Nolan Batman movies). Characters like the hotel concierge feel like transplants from another genre, and even in that sequence we have the "what are you, some kind of cosmonauts?" line that drives one of my friends to hysterics, but never even registered as much of a gag to me.

But in Ghostbusters, it seems each member of the ensemble kind of does their bit without the others reacting. The only example that comes to mind of the characters playing humorously against each other is the "you earned this" chocolate bar scene, which retrospectively is super weird, because Peter teasing Egon makes sense as does Egon not knowing he's being teased, but it also cuts to Ray laughing. I don't think a dynamic like that ever really comes up again despite being there when we're meeting the characters. Ray is a man-chiod for the rest of the film, until he decides to quote Revelations, at least . A straight-man is introduced, but like 2/3 into the film and for almost no reason. To its credit, I do think it feels tonally consistent, but in a way that's probably best attributed to the cinematography, score and edit.

Again, any scrutiny makes Ghostbusters feel like it's held together with tape and string and I think there's a tendency for fans (and I include myself in this) to project the events of the film on to the films success and see it as a plucky cinematic underdog story instead of a near fiasco that, if not for canny marketing and a good edit, might have cost Columbia a fortune.

Maybe The Real Ghostbusters deserves a lot of credit, because I think that did a better job of figuring out who these characters consistently were and arranging them into types than the first movie did where any given actor's comic persona got to over-ride characterisation just because.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Tons of older games did that, usually before 2009. Any old FMV game would always refer to the faceless player as Commander or something.

Oh yeah it’s passable in Rebel Assault 1 when the player is faceless & only animated in cutscenes, but in the sequel when it’s a male actor in live action cutscenes it’s weird he has no name. Especially as he destroyed the Death Star along with downing 100+ TIEs, they made Luke a general & this guy is still on probation.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah it’s passable in Rebel Assault 1 when the player is faceless & only animated in cutscenes, but in the sequel when it’s a male actor in live action cutscenes it’s weird he has no name. Especially as he destroyed the Death Star along with downing 100+ TIEs, they made Luke a general & this guy is still on probation.

Lol. This reminds me of the ending to the Neo Geo game Crossed Swords. After getting dragged into a quest to rescue the King's daughter and battling all the way to hell and defeating a demon lord, the king very generously lets you come live at the castle.

I realise that probably would be more appealing now, but was very underwhelming in the early 90's.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've never liked bioshock 2, it's better designed than bioshock 1, eg being able to use weapons and plasmids without switching but the plot felt barebones and it had that Jurassic Park: The Lost World feeling of being made to capitalise on success.

In contrast I loved bioshock infinite, a game that's generally well liked everywhere on the Internet except on SA.

Might change my tune if I ever get round to playing burial at sea

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Disco Pope posted:

But in Ghostbusters, it seems each member of the ensemble kind of does their bit without the others reacting. The only example that comes to mind of the characters playing humorously against each other is the "you earned this" chocolate bar scene, which retrospectively is super weird, because Peter teasing Egon makes sense as does Egon not knowing he's being teased, but it also cuts to Ray laughing. I don't think a dynamic like that ever really comes up again despite being there when we're meeting the characters. Ray is a man-chiod for the rest of the film, until he decides to quote Revelations, at least . A straight-man is introduced, but like 2/3 into the film and for almost no reason. To its credit, I do think it feels tonally consistent, but in a way that's probably best attributed to the cinematography, score and edit.

Like Caddyshack, they stumbled into a setup where they could just let Bill Murray constantly throw away jokes and have it actually work in context. Ray, Egon, and Louis are all constantly lost in their own heads and Winston can take absolutely anything in stride so Peter usually doesn't get much reaction to his remarks. It allows the movie to have a very dense pacing of gags because it's not constantly stopping to react to them. It also means that when Peter runs into someone who is paying attention and does react you get a very heightened foil effect, which is part of why Walter Peck is so memorable.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Ghostbusters rules, it's not the movie's fault that so many people formed a weird parasocial relationship with it.

To me it's like Jurassic Park in terms of execution. Every scene works in isolation and as a whole, all of the actors are at the top of their game, and all of the music and special effects are working overtime to boost everything else up. And just like Jurassic Park it was diminishing returns every time they went back to that world since the elements never quite click the same way they do the first time, and by the time you get to today you're making overly dramatic and self-referential movies that feel more like a checklist of things you're supposed to do instead of actually being a good movie on its own.

The new one is called "Frozen Empire", what the hell are we even doing now?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

A Fancy Hat posted:

Ghostbusters rules, it's not the movie's fault that so many people formed a weird parasocial relationship with it.

This is true for so many things. "I hate this because of the fans" is the sign of a weak heart and mind.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I've never liked bioshock 2, it's better designed than bioshock 1, eg being able to use weapons and plasmids without switching but the plot felt barebones and it had that Jurassic Park: The Lost World feeling of being made to capitalise on success.

In contrast I loved bioshock infinite, a game that's generally well liked everywhere on the Internet except on SA.

:yeah:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It's been ages since I played it, but IIRC Bioshock 2 got tedious after awhile since the babysitting part of it was so repetitive. The combat might be better designed than 1, but 1 was so novel and is unimpeachably one of the best games ever.

And people don't like Infinite? It loving ruled.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Zugzwang posted:

And people don't like Infinite? It loving ruled.

Might just be a couple of threads I've read on here but I thought it was broadly disliked

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Might just be a couple of threads I've read on here but I thought it was broadly disliked

I've definitely read consecutive takes on here that made me question my memory of the game, calling it trash and milquetoast both-sidesism. Which... I think they got because Daisy took extreme measures against the place and people that enslaved her, framed her for murder, and tried to lobotomize her? Idk.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Das Boo posted:

I've definitely read consecutive takes on here that made me question my memory of the game, calling it trash and milquetoast both-sidesism. Which... I think they got because Daisy took extreme measures against the place and people that enslaved her, framed her for murder, and tried to lobotomize her? Idk.

I do remember being annoyed at how the game eventually turns her into an unmitigated antagonist, can't remember how. But I still like the game. Not a lot of full commie games out there, why should this be one?

It also showed at the seams a lot between battles and worldbuilding/story. Don't think that tension's been adequately resolved by any game (other than ones about how miserable it would be to be in an fps, like far cry 2). I was more into the exploring and character arcs and stuff and the fighting felt like another game. But, without the fighting it's a walking sim so I get it. I get why people shat on it but I think that stuff was forgivable.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I once saw Bioshock infinite described thusly:

Press X to say racism is good
Press Y to say racism is bad

*presses Y*

Booker: “Sometimes racism, goes both ways.”
*Shoots the only main black character in the game*

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

hawowanlawow posted:

oh yeah and the foo fighters. they make me want to sleep
Oh my God talk about every song sounding the same and it's so boring no melody it's just total crap

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

redshirt posted:

lol since this is now Ghostbusters chat, that cast was pretty stacked in 1984. Bill Murry was coming off Caddyshack, Stripes, Akyrod had Blues Brothers in 80. Weaver had Alien. I knew Moranis from a movie I just loved, Strange Brew. It's a fun concept with a great cast.

And the tall scientist guy, Egon? Perfect example of the absolutely unaware sexyhot scientist dude. I was so glad that the secretary saw that mmmmm

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Spinz posted:

Oh my God talk about every song sounding the same and it's so boring no melody it's just total crap

It's a drat shame, their first two albums were way more eclectic, melodic, and engaging, especially the first one.

Dave Grohl seems like an awesome guy, at least.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Foo Fighters used to support the conspiracy theory that AIDS is not caused by HIV. They stopped after everyone who supported the theory died of untreated AIDS.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i dont get aqua teen hunger force

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I remember thinking Bioshock Infinite was fine, until I got to the end and had no loving idea what was going on (didn't play the others).

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

emSparkly posted:

I once saw Bioshock infinite described thusly:

Press X to say racism is good
Press Y to say racism is bad

*presses Y*

Booker: “Sometimes racism, goes both ways.”
*Shoots the only main black character in the game*

Booker is the bad guy to the extent that his mere existence in one reality is a threat to all realities. Plus one of those Bookers is the dude who made racist utopia and did all that poo poo to Daisy to begin with. Plus plus Burial at Sea calls Daisy's bluff and definitively shows that the MCs hosed up.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Bioshock Infinite sucks because, well aside from the combat being janky and the gaming mechanics from the first two games being applied only superficially, "old-timey steampunk, hyper-patriotic cult city in the sky" as a giant metaphor to criticize US patriotism is MORE than enough to make an interesting game, story, and setting. But instead it was like they never stopped trying to include every possible idea and it ended up as a completely convoluted mess. "Too many cooks", or something.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Disco Pope posted:

Aykroyd is doing an oblivious nerd bit and Ramis doing a really dry, I guess, sort of autistic guy bit.
I do think you could read Egon as on the spectrum. However Dan Aykoyd is actually autistic. Funny how that worked out. :shrug:

quote:

But in Ghostbusters, it seems each member of the ensemble kind of does their bit without the others reacting.
One of my favorite bits is this one at the end of the ballroom scene when it comes time to settle the bill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZXsZamnX3o&t=228s
Murray looks to Raimis for pricing. Murray turns on the smooth talk but again looks to Raimis who has done the math in his head and subtly signals $4k for entrapment, and then $1k for entrapment.

There's a Ghostbusters thread in CineD if anybody is keen.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Das Boo posted:

One time when I said Bioshock Infinite did both sidesism someone responded along the lines of "The white supremacist faction had evil robotic George Washingtons, how much more obvious could it get that they're the badguys" so I guess they were forgetting that when the black/irish rebel faction got into power they converted the evil robot George Washingtons into evil robot Abe Lincolns.

This is also the game series that gave you the tough moral choice of harvesting little girls for their juices or helping them and receiving a greater quantity of juice.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

GolfHole posted:

i dont get aqua teen hunger force

Understandable, have a nice day

I love athf but don't get a whole lot of other adult swim stuff. Perfect hair, Tom goes to the mayor, probably half of what Tim heidecker does. I don't hate it but can't summon any desire to watch it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Disco Pope posted:

But in Ghostbusters, it seems each member of the ensemble kind of does their bit without the others reacting. The only example that comes to mind of the characters playing humorously against each other is the "you earned this" chocolate bar scene, which retrospectively is super weird, because Peter teasing Egon makes sense as does Egon not knowing he's being teased, but it also cuts to Ray laughing. I don't think a dynamic like that ever really comes up again despite being there when we're meeting the characters.

The Funny Guy often doesn't get reactions in movies and TV but in Ghostbusters specifically Venkman isn't necessarily funny to everyone around him, even his friends. He's not really a nice guy and he's usually either putting people down or being really aloof or sarcastic. The plot is repeatedly driven by him being an aloof rear end in a top hat, after all. The Crunch bar joke is a rare time when he's being nice in a jokey way (and even that is wrapped in implied insults) at a time where they could use some levity.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
God do I loving hate John Mellencamp. It's like he only listened to the first verse of Springsteen's 'My Hometown,' and decided to base his whole career on his misunderstanding. Relentless bullshit nostalgia.

'Rockin in the USA' is the exception because it is dumb pop/rock song that knows it is a pop/rock song.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just recently discovered that REM's Shiny Happy People was about Tienanmen Square and it's satire and they made it super poppy on purpose and Michael Stipe was upset that it became super popular or something like that. quick edit: I just looked it up again and I think that was just a rumor, sorry, keeping the video up because it's fun :)

Excellent song though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYOKMUTTDdA

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 3, 2024

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Saw this, thought of this thread

https://www.instagram.com/p/C1m395Yp6pJ/?igsh=aGJsZmhzMXF1Z3Bp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

deoju posted:

God do I loving hate John Mellencamp. It's like he only listened to the first verse of Springsteen's 'My Hometown,' and decided to base his whole career on his misunderstanding. Relentless bullshit nostalgia.

'Rockin in the USA' is the exception because it is dumb pop/rock song that knows it is a pop/rock song.

Friend of mine grew up in the town where Mellencamp lives and says he's a huge dickhole who acts put out when people don't fawn all over him. gently caress that guy.

That being said I really like "I Need a Lover" and I'm still working on being okay with that.