Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Hughmoris posted:

New Year Career Chat:

How many Goons are past or present students of WGU? I think (hope) 2024 is the year I finally starts my Masters degree. Just to check that box and hopefully open up more doors for more money. I just need to stop being lazy and actually enroll.

Finished my BS with them back in 2014 when there weren't as many options as there are now. Zero complaints.

I'm not sold on a Masters opening up more doors though, it's a 50/50 thing. It depends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I did the masters because my GI bill covered WGU but wouldn’t have covered most other schools. I did receive a small pay raise at my last job because of it but I’m not sure how much it’s really helped overall.

Warning about layoffs a day before seems crazy. Hell of a way to kill any productivity today.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

as an idiom i have no idea.

i used to do night watchman and they had a box they gave you. you would take it around to keys that were in boxes throughout the building and you would put the key in and turn it. that put a timestamp in the box along with the number of the key. every week your boss would take it and check to make sure that you had a full set of numbers and that they were being done at regular intervals. my place was loose with that tbh so anywhere from every hour to two hours was fine. getting a full set took 20 minutes of walking so the remaining 40-100 minutes you could spend doing whatever as long as you remained on the property and paid attention for suspicious stuff and poo poo.

they had an RFID system too but people kept losing the fob for reasons completely unrelated to wanting an excuse to not do their rounds and it cost like 1000 bucks to replace so they went back to their 30s key system pretty quick since that was only like $50 to replace the box

I was in Los Angeles recently at a big mall and they had a contract with AlliedUniversal, biggest security guard company. I saw the guard going around and tapping his company phone to a symbol taped to an escalator. I think that was their RFID security guard log like you describe.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Cyks posted:

Warning about layoffs a day before seems crazy. Hell of a way to kill any productivity today.

And for people to steal/break stuff.

That’s why one of my old employers always announced layoffs at Friday 7pm. Well that and to reduce on prem suicides.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

LochNessMonster posted:

And for people to steal/break stuff.

That’s why one of my old employers always announced layoffs at Friday 7pm. Well that and to reduce on prem suicides.

Reduce, not eliminate? Goddamn.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GreenNight posted:

Reduce, not eliminate? Goddamn.

It was the on prem part that bothered them. Not the suicide part, unfortunately.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Is M365 password setting/resetting/user resetting not working for anyone else rn?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

LochNessMonster posted:

It was the on prem part that bothered them. Not the suicide part, unfortunately.

Of course not, don't need to pay severance to someone who is dead.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

LochNessMonster posted:

You work in insurance or for a PBM? Because it sounds like you work for insurance or a PBM.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
This is probably a dumb question but how the hell do I upload a Cisco Nexus switch with a new NX-OS image without it timing out? It's a C93180YC-FX model that I'm trying to update to version 9.3.12. The image is really big, almost 2 gigs and I guess our SCP server isn't on the fastest connection in the world so it takes absolutely forever. So long that the connection times out. Unfortunately I have to do this through the switch CLI because this model Nexus isn't supported by Cisco prime and that's the only app we have that can upload images to a device.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The Fool posted:

less snarky, just generate new fake emails and sign up for separate trial subscriptions to get new credits

It asks for a credit card for each free trial. :smith:

The Fool posted:

use iac to spin up and spin down costly resources so you don't use up your credits too fast

Remembering to turn stuff of is important.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Gucci Loafers posted:

It asks for a credit card for each free trial. :smith:

Remembering to turn stuff of is important.

afaik it doesn't care if the cc#'s are the same

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Hughmoris posted:

Smartly spinning things up and down when not in use can help keep the monthly bill at $5 - $10.

Also, you can use the Microsoft 365 Developer Program to practice on. Completely free, you get the full M365 subscription and sample data with users etc... No credit card required. I've been using it to practice some Entra ID stuff.

This is freaking cool. Thank you!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

GreenNight posted:

Of course not, don't need to pay severance to someone who is dead.

Exactly! That’s for the life insurance that gets bundled into benefit plans in lieu of pensions to handle.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
User just managed to delete everything in their inbox and sent it to the Deleted Items folder, sometime just after midnight on New Year's day.
They just realized what they did and now they're asking how to figure out how to undelete only the emails they accidentally deleted, not ALL the emails in the deleted items.

How long do I let them suffer before I tell them how to fix it?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Buffalo used to have JJ's House of Breakfast. I resent their failure to give up and close the city when JJ's closed up.

Best diner breakfast is now on Hertel - Bertha's Diner and Kosta's are both excellent.

Hughmoris posted:

I've always wanted to go to Buffalo and try out a WingStop.

A what? I don't think that exists here. :confused:

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
"This year, we're going all in on AI! 2024 is going to be The Year of AI! AI AI AI! We're gonna do it! AI! Woo!"

....but, we make dog food. How is AI going to..?

"AI! A! I! It's everywhere! We have to get it! You're going to training! AI!"

...gently caress.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Antioch posted:

"This year, we're going all in on AI! 2024 is going to be The Year of AI! AI AI AI! We're gonna do it! AI! Woo!"

...gently caress.

I remember hearing this same thing about blockchains a few years ago

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
If ya'llse were hiring for a junior sysadmin what certs and experience would be most enticing? Asking for a friend, who is also me.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

If ya'llse were hiring for a junior sysadmin what certs and experience would be most enticing? Asking for a friend, who is also me.

Literally any networking cert and a few Python projects on a public GitHub page. Terraform and any amount of public cloud experience is a nice to have.

Coincidentally this is also the profile I’d love for a Junior DevOps position but they’re basically the same role except one sucks a lot more.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you're focused on endpoints, which from the sounds of it that is most adjacent to what you've been doing, I'd think something like this -
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/credentials/certifications/m365-endpoint-administrator/

I think from there it's an easy hop into identity or endpoint security.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I'm at WGU now, about to finish my first term like 30% done with my degree, it's pretty chill. A guy who works for me is about to get his cyber security undergrad and then master's too.
Application fee is waived if you get a referral from somebody.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i did wgu when i needed an mba to tick a box for a promotion, mba received, box ticked, promotion aquired

experience was good there imo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

tokin opposition posted:

Any of the MS Modern Workplace stuff. Come in and tell me I’m an old man for running a VPN and then replace it with stuff from the Entra suite.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Antioch posted:

Just imagine all the really cheap ML gear you'll be able to buy in a few years when all the Fortune 5,000 companies realize that AI did not actually revolutionize the injection-molded plastic toothbrush handle industry.

tokin opposition posted:

Cloud stuff? Get an AWS SysOps Administrator cert if you don't feel like you have enough experience to stand out. Otherwise, AWS Cloud Practitioner is an easy one to pick up in a hurry to show that you're at least vaguely familiar with concepts.

For on-prem, CCST Networking (used to be CCENT) to prove you know networking. If you can talk network protocols and concepts and walk through a troubleshooting exercise, you're already in the 90th percentile of candidates.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

tokin opposition posted:

Do you have a GitHub. If not get one and put poo poo in it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Antioch posted:

...gently caress.

I got a whole bunch of money approved for a ChatOps integration project by saying we could integrate it with MS copilot and pipe questions to AI in the Cloud

Cenodoxus posted:

Just imagine all the really cheap ML gear you'll be able to buy in a few years when all the Fortune 5,000 companies realize that AI did not actually revolutionize the injection-molded plastic toothbrush handle industry.
Pretty much. I work for a wood products company.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh that’s great. I need resilient 10Gb fibre links to ensure that we can have the lowest latency and highest availability to ChatGPT.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

tokin opposition posted:

For what it's worth, the traditional "sysadmin" position that takes care of on-prem servers is all but gone, and the responsibilities thereof tend to be rolled in with other disciplines like networking. (I wish this were not the case, because I hate sysadmin work.) What kind of work are you wanting to do?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

tehinternet posted:

You work in insurance or for a PBM? Because it sounds like you work for insurance or a PBM.

Banking and insurance. It’s been about a decade since I left though.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I bath in the blood of tickets I close immediately with “again, this must go through HR like the last three times I told you. Ticket closed.”

No, I’m not going to create an account for Jane Doe with no other information per request by a non manager employee (unless that person has HR in their title).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

6-ish years later I'm still incredibly proud of what I consider to be my capstone project at my old job, where I:

1. got hr and executive management buy in
2. built the ad integration for the hr system
3. wrote the policy and onboarding process new employees
4. then with hr's assistance was able to brow-beat hiring managers with the mantra "if it's not in the hr system they don't exist"

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

guppy posted:

For what it's worth, the traditional "sysadmin" position that takes care of on-prem servers is all but gone, and the responsibilities thereof tend to be rolled in with other disciplines like networking. (I wish this were not the case, because I hate sysadmin work.) What kind of work are you wanting to do?

I mean honestly me babysitting server specs died with bare metal, on prem server management has been an afterthought for well over a decade. Cloud just shifted the load off prem.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I thought we decided 2 weeks ago we were moving it all back on prem? I can't keep up anymore.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm interviewing at a place that has a pretty large "sysadmin" staff but their new manager is trying to pivot it into "platform engineering" so it's a very weird place to be where I'd be in the ground floor of a modern transformation but also one of the people who interviewed told me about how they were responsible for patching all the windows servers twice a month for 10 years and I'm like "you never thought to improve that somehow and share the load?"

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

The Iron Rose posted:

Literally any networking cert and a few Python projects on a public GitHub page. Terraform and any amount of public cloud experience is a nice to have.

Coincidentally this is also the profile I’d love for a Junior DevOps position but they’re basically the same role except one sucks a lot more.

Internet Explorer posted:

If you're focused on endpoints, which from the sounds of it that is most adjacent to what you've been doing, I'd think something like this -
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/credentials/certifications/m365-endpoint-administrator/

I think from there it's an easy hop into identity or endpoint security.

Thanks Ants posted:

Any of the MS Modern Workplace stuff. Come in and tell me I’m an old man for running a VPN and then replace it with stuff from the Entra suite.

Cenodoxus posted:

Cloud stuff? Get an AWS SysOps Administrator cert if you don't feel like you have enough experience to stand out. Otherwise, AWS Cloud Practitioner is an easy one to pick up in a hurry to show that you're at least vaguely familiar with concepts.

For on-prem, CCST Networking (used to be CCENT) to prove you know networking. If you can talk network protocols and concepts and walk through a troubleshooting exercise, you're already in the 90th percentile of candidates.

jaegerx posted:

Do you have a GitHub. If not get one and put poo poo in it.

guppy posted:

Thank you all for the suggestions and advice :)

To guppy's question: I just want to find something that earns over 60k a year (more is better naturally, I might have a kid in my life in the next few years), is ideally remote, and gets me the gently caress out of the helpdesk as I think I've learned everything I'm going to at my current work. I'm tired of always having to find workarounds and put out fires, rather than building new things that actually solve people's problems and installing a sprinkler system. A lot of it is just my current workplace being a shithole, and it's my hope to get some training from them as I'm skilling up and applying.

My current game plan:

1. Get a Net+ on my own, continue learning Python, put up a github with a couple of little projects.
2. Try and get work to shell out for Microsoft 365 Certified: Endpoint Administrator Associate, and the next level up Microsoft 365 Certified: Administrator Expert since both will be helpful for what I want to be doing there. but I'm a little worried because they're both very Microsoft focused and I'm not sure if where I go next will even be on their platforms.
3. If I have time, go for a Sec+ from work because maybe it'll let me tell my boss that single-sign-on is not in fact a security risk (???) and we're in desperate need of anyone who knows security.

What's the best way to do cloud stuff that's applicable to AWS, Azure, and GCS? And how do I learn to use docker and Terraform? I've been meaning to put up a home server box to start on a lab, using an old desktop to get it done on the cheap. Just play around in a VM until I break something or skynet comes for me?

e: the funny thing is that my BFF is also looking to skill up for a new job as a developer so I'm hoping we can keep each other accountable in this stuff. I don't envy having to memorize all the bullshit Google interview brainteasers, but they also make like 3x what I do so its gotta be worth it.

tokin opposition fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 3, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For some reason this only gets shouted about in Partner communications but I think it's open to anybody

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/windows-skilling-snacks-bite-sized-learning-for-it-pros/ba-p/3725923

These are a couple hours on each topic, the page gets updated every couple of weeks. The topic titles they use map onto certs and learning paths fairly well.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Once you get out of Big Tech, there are a ton of places with fleets of very old pets. Places with the profit motive of "we produce and/or retail widgets" will certainly benefit from some modern scaling and IaC, but frankly the half-dozen line-of-business applications and the necessary corporate infrastructure (HR, Accounting, Active Directory, physical security, et cetera) aren't changing that much on a daily basis.

If you're using largely off-the-shelf apps with a mostly static website, Agility and daily code releases may not make much sense. Waterfall releases where you only have to send quarterly updates about how Process 22-Georgia is changing or now the Fongaten Shorpalites button looks like something you've produced this millennium instead of a jello telescope can be useful too. Remember: Technology is there to serve the business, not be a beautiful, pristine Best Practices Thesis Defense.

Yes, standardizing and automating will help in both day-to-day growth/maintenance and disaster recovery, but many places don't need the kind of elasticity Amazon, Facebook, and Google do. And it's not nearly as glamorous as finding new ways to virtualize number crunching, but somebody's gotta make the donuts. It's not Silicon Valley crazy valuations & stock grants, but it's solid, occasionally well-paying white-collar work. And those pets (and small data centers, mainframes, and office/warehouse networks) are gonna be around for several more years.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

e: the funny thing is that my BFF is also looking to skill up for a new job as a developer so I'm hoping we can keep each other accountable in this stuff. I don't envy having to memorize all the bullshit Google interview brainteasers, but they also make like 3x what I do so its gotta be worth it.

If you’re looking at google look at levels.fyi, because compared to 60k that 3x is more like 6-10x. And you should look at google et al! Shoot for the stars, hit the moon and all that.

beyond that, get out of helpdesk into literally any sysadmin-esque role, and you’ll be able to pivot in a year or two to devops/cloud bullshit, and from there pretty much any engineering role is available to you depending on your interests. The way you get that sysadmin type role is a bit of azure experience and a bit of terraform experience. Docker is probably less important for straight sysadmin poo poo, critical for cloud bullshit, and certainly can’t hurt regardless.

I have a few mentees and the project I tend to give them to start is to build a dockerized, highly available pihole in any public cloud and to secure the web administration portal with HTTPS and letsencrypt. A good simple start is to throw up an externally facing network load balancer and limit access via security groups to your router’s public IP, but a good bonus initiative is to run an openvpn server which conveniently is a common service sysadmins need to support! The load balancer can get kind of pricy for personal use, so you may want to just stick to having a set of static external IPs and a lambda function to assign them as needed to your ASG/scaleset VMs.

Intune et al are fine, but kind of boring and limited and frankly you know enough about them already. Don’t waste your time studying more on the matter imo. Desktop administration is a fine and important career, but it’s very undervalued by the market and you’ll never be paid what you’re worth to do it.

as a long term note… you can go pretty far into the middle of your career without needing to code. past a certain point, you really do have to be able to program in a language or two, or have very very deep niche subject domain expertise people are willing to pay for (networking, database poo poo, etc - and those domains are enhanced by programming knowledge too!).

Leetcode is boring, annoying but a decent way to learn and it’s basically a 1:1 mapping to the interview tests. Advent of code is more fun and a Christmas themed way to do much the same. ultimately the way you are able to think about problems, systems, software, the needs of your users, and the management thereof is completely transformed with a modicum of programming capabilities.

Edit: also take two hours and read the Wikipedia page on public key cryptography.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Whenever I've tried to figure out what I wanted to do next, or whenever I'm talking to someone in a similar position, I try to keep in mind what's adjacent to them now.

If someone who currently does helpdesk wants to learn how to do IaC and DevOps, more power to them. That poo poo is awesome. But the people making that jump are few and far between and finding a company who will hire you to do DevOps because you have your AWS SA Pro and your previous experience is tier 1 helpdesk are fewer than those who will hire you modernize their endpoint and identity systems with a cert more relevant to what you do every day.

I promise you there are plenty of people making plenty of money doing Intune/Azure AD. Just because you don't find it interesting doesn't mean it's not interesting to others, a good career path, or even a good stepping stone.

If I had to guess, I probably make more than the vast majority of people in this thread. I don't know how to code. I don't do IaC. I don't run my own home K8s cluster. Hell, don't tell the NAS thread, but I have a Synology NAS instead of rolling my own. And despite the username, I don't and have never worked for Microsoft and my current role doesn't even involve any of their stack.

Not that it's not all good advice, but I think the world is more complicated than "just learn Terraform and Kubernetes." That may be a hard transition for someone. They may get discouraged because it's so far from what they're doing today that they don't get enough time during the day to use it. For someone like me, simply learning IaC things would not have advanced my career at any point. I find DevOps stuff really interesting. It's just not close enough to my day to day to matter.

[Edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's good advice to learn how to code, do IaC, do DevOpsy things. If that interests you, go for it. But I don't think it's a truism and I don't agree with it being the only path for someone in tech. Sysadmin isn't a popular title these days not because the concepts don't exist anymore, but because we've all gotten specialized enough that it's not a useful term. It's not the first time titles evolve and I'm sure it won't be the last.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 3, 2024