Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Gripweed posted:

...yes? Do you not follow the news? Hamas delivered a serious blow to the credibility of Israel's security state. The Taliban retook Afghanistan in a week. The Houthis have been able to seriously disrupt shipping to Israel. Recent years have been full of very impressive achievements by small military groups with little funding.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Gripweed posted:

. The Houthis

I don’t know who or what this is but this feels racist

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oldpainless posted:

I don’t know who or what this is

Yeah that's why they're called that. Who this?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

oldpainless posted:

I don’t know who or what this is but this feels racist

I think they sang Let Her Cry and Only Wanna Be with You.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gripweed posted:

People say that the US only loses so many wars because they're little lovely wars and our army is set up to win big proper wars. If we got into another proper war with big tank battles and fighter plane dogfights and naval engagements and the like, we'd win easily. But frankly, I don't think we would. I think we'd lose a proper war too.

If you think the US military is inept, wait till you see Russia and China

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The US military is like a basketball player who dominates in the paint but can't hit a field goal to save their life. The old-timers insist that the second part doesn't actually matter and that they're still G.O.A.T. regardless of how the game has evolved.

Edit: Forget "Sir Charles." We got Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Charles.

Nameless Pete has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Jan 2, 2024

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

...yes? Do you not follow the news? Hamas delivered a serious blow to the credibility of Israel's security state. The Taliban retook Afghanistan in a week. The Houthis have been able to seriously disrupt shipping to Israel. Recent years have been full of very impressive achievements by small military groups with little funding.

Jesus Christ

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

…Hamas took the IDF by surprise while it was deployed halfway across the country to deal with riots. It also primarily targeted civilians. It’s very much not winning right now as Gaza gets loving leveled.

The Taliban didn’t even have to fight. The people of Afghanistan basically let them walk in and take over the place because there wasn’t a a will to fight and defend what institutions existed. That’s a political victory not a military one.

The Houthis just encountered the US military two days ago and three of their ships were sunk by US helicopters.

Do you follow the news?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
These political victories, in general, sure seem like they require military ones at certain points.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

…Hamas took the IDF by surprise

Yeah they weren't supposed to be able to do that. That's the whole thing,

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

thetoughestbean posted:

The Taliban didn’t even have to fight.

[waking up from a coma I fell into in 1999] Sure sounds right to me!

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
Man, it's almost like politics are inherent to war and it's nonsensical to fantasy football armies. The US military is very capable, and the US government is very dumb. There, I solved this dumb argument about if the US has largely failed to realize its ostensible goals through hard power and if the whole world acts like America is scary just to be polite.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Muscle Tracer posted:

[waking up from a coma I fell into in 1999] Sure sounds right to me!

The lying internet will tell you 2,000 American troops died in combat in Afghanistan. The truth is those were all drunk driving accidents. Do your own research.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Kei Technical posted:

The US military is very capable

[citation needed]

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

Not going to even try to address the other points huh

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

[citation needed]

Years 1776-2023

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

[citation needed]

Is hegemony like the last slice of pie and it goes to whoever's just bold enough to take it?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

Not going to even try to address the other points huh

you're first one was so off base it was actually an argument in favor of my position, so it drew the most of my attention, sorry. But yeah, it's news to me that the Taliban weren't fighting in the Afghanistan war, and You're off base on the Houthi thing too, of course they can't win a naval battle with the American military but they were still able to gently caress up Israel in an unexpected way.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oldpainless posted:

Years 1776-2023

you're definitely starting that too early

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hell, read anything about the American Civil War. Ayt the start the US military was marked by cowardice and incompetence throughout the officer class. There is a very strong historical case that General McClellan wanted the US to lose.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

Is the Gaza strip currently being ground into fine powder part of this brilliant military victory?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Americans destroy one of the largest militaries in the world with no casualties, keep the country isolated for a decade, then destroy their replacement military with no casualties again, occupy the country for 15 more years before leaving: crushing military defeat, this is a proof of Western degeneracy

The Yemeni fire a missile at a boat before the Americans send in gunboats: a triumphant strategic blow to the crumbling Western power, this is a sign of the end of American dominance

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 23:44 on Jan 2, 2024

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

you're first one was so off base it was actually an argument in favor of my position, so it drew the most of my attention, sorry. But yeah, it's news to me that the Taliban weren't fighting in the Afghanistan war, and You're off base on the Houthi thing too, of course they can't win a naval battle with the American military but they were still able to gently caress up Israel in an unexpected way.

The Taliban didn’t win militarily it won by outlasting the political will to keep US troops in the region.

Hamas took advantage of Netanyahu’s complacency and negligence killed and raped a lot of civilians. The IDF should have been in the region, sure, but let’s not pretend that this was some sort of military victory.

The Houthis finally tried to take a military vessel after a month of attacking civilian vessels and were sunk for their trouble.

Your premise that the US military is weak and dumb and would lose a peer-to-peer conflict (against who? China?) is just wishcasting and you’re trying to use ridicule examples to make your point

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

The Taliban didn’t win militarily it won by outlasting the political will to keep US troops in the region.

Hamas took advantage of Netanyahu’s complacency and negligence killed and raped a lot of civilians. The IDF should have been in the region, sure, but let’s not pretend that this was some sort of military victory.

The Houthis finally tried to take a military vessel after a month of attacking civilian vessels and were sunk for their trouble.

Your premise that the US military is weak and dumb and would lose a peer-to-peer conflict (against who? China?) is just wishcasting and you’re trying to use ridicule examples to make your point

Please try to follow the discussion. I said that the US military probably wouldn't do well in a peer to peer war. One of those Hillary av weirdos made a non sequitor post about the military capability of poor countries, which I responded to. Those are two separate arguments.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

oldpainless posted:

Years 1776-2023

What military victories have we won in the last 40 years, exactly?

Gripweed posted:

Please try to follow the discussion. I said that the US military probably wouldn't do well in a peer to peer war.

The US military has no peer in size or spending anywhere on Earth. Every single loss we suffer is against a smaller, less capable force, which leads one to wonder how it is we lose so drat often if we're even remotely competent.

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Jan 2, 2024

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

What military victories have we won in the last 40 years, exactly?

Starting in 1984? First Gulf War, the NATO prevention of ethnic cleansing in Kosovo, the invasion of Iraq, the invasion of Afghanistan (we lost/failed to achieve goals in their occupations, however), the joint war against ISIS.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Git yer political goals outta my war! War is whoever kills the most of the other guys, wins. Simple.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The US military has no peer in size or spending anywhere on Earth. Every single loss we suffer is against a smaller, less capable force, which leads one to wonder how it is we lose so drat often if we're even remotely competent.

Because you get into wars to score short term political points at home, not because you need to, and you don't care about what happens as a result after those wars are no longer uselful. You treat war the way most countries treat international soccer matches, and it's precisely because you have no peers to stop you.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Muscle Tracer posted:

Git yer political goals outta my war! War is whoever kills the most of the other guys, wins. Simple.

All war is political, yes, but you can clearly win militarily and still not achieve the goal you want because the goal you want is not achievable through physical force

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think Gripweed is assuming Russia or China must be peers to the US. An idea which, as the entire world has now seen, is laughable.

The only way for a country to defeat the US is to have greater political will and determination. I say "only" but this turns out to be a pretty consistent strategy, actually. The United States is unmatched in terms of actually winning battles, both in terms of sheer size of industry, numbers, and technological advantage. It is like a tsunami, it absolutely wipes out anything it comes across. You win not by withstanding the initial impact, which is impossible given the differences in terms of firepower and technology. You win by leaving the area and coming back when the water inevitably recedes.

Ukraine is currently being armed with US military surplus that's decades out of date and have fought Russia to a standstill. Literally the only reason Russia can still cling to their imperial ambitions right now is because they're throwing away ghastly amounts of lives and materiel into a grinder. That, and the United States lacks the political will to actually provide Ukraine with the means to win.

Runa has a new favorite as of 01:29 on Jan 3, 2024

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Every single victory against the US has been this

https://twitter.com/dril/status/460673146451161088?lang=en

except unironically

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

thetoughestbean posted:

the invasion of Iraq, the invasion of Afghanistan (we lost/failed to achieve goals in their occupations, however), the joint war against ISIS.

Bit of a stretch to call something a military victory when we failed to achieve any of the goals set out as justification for the operation. The US military over the last 40 years doesn't just have a losing record, it has a losing record among the list of supposed victories you hand-picked. Pathetic.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

These aren't very milquetoast opinions.

Avocado sucks.

The NFL playoffs are part of the holidays in the phrase "Happy Holidays" and the supposed Holiday season isn't over until the Super Bowl is finished.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bit of a stretch to call something a military victory when we failed to achieve any of the goals set out as justification for the operation. The US military over the last 40 years doesn't just have a losing record, it has a losing record among the list of supposed victories you hand-picked. Pathetic.

lol I think you're getting weirdly aggro about this

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

We've had lots of military victories. You're just confusing military objectives with political objectives.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Atticus_1354 posted:

We've had lots of military victories. You're just confusing military objectives with political objectives.

I think enough people have been making this mistake that they go even further and confuse outlasting American political will with beating America on the battlefield.

This sort of thinking is what led Russia to try to attack a US marine position at Khasham. They thought, we've got 500 people, they only have 40. We outnumber them ten to one, and Americans don't have the stomach for a real war. And both of those statements were true. The fact that these statements were true did not stop the US from, almost instantaneously, bringing the full force of their industrial might and technological advantage to bear and saw the Russians and pro-Assad forces wiped out within hours.

This was the first indicator, to Russia in particular, that while they were a regional powerhouse they could not be a peer to the US. Simply put, in a conventional battle, the advantages were stacked too heavily on America's side.

Incidentally, the Milquetoast Opinion that started this current topic of discussion:

Gripweed posted:

People say that the US only loses so many wars because they're little lovely wars and our army is set up to win big proper wars. If we got into another proper war with big tank battles and fighter plane dogfights and naval engagements and the like, we'd win easily. But frankly, I don't think we would. I think we'd lose a proper war too.

lmfao

tell us who you think could defeat the United States in a proper war

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Runa posted:

I think Gripweed is assuming Russia or China must be peers to the US. An idea which, as the entire world has now seen, is laughable.

No I'm not?

Atticus_1354 posted:

We've gotta get a lot better at picking military objectives that contribute to political objectives then, because right now we look like real fuckups

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gripweed posted:

No I'm not?

Well then you're going to have to rephrase your statement because it's pretty vague

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

It’s like the Alamo. Did the US technically lose the battle of the Alamo? Yes, we did. But the other side lost ten times the number that we did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oldpainless posted:

It’s like the Alamo. Did the US technically lose the battle of the Alamo? Yes, we did. But the other side lost ten times the number that we did.

The US didn't lose the battle of the Alamo though? The US wasn't even there.