Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

StrangersInTheNight posted:

mega shitlord Margaret Thatcher

You know you're gonna be in for a bad time when your leader says "There is no such thing as society."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

For mainstream* Americans there def has been a fracturing of the hegemonic media mind that was dominant for most of the 20th century.

* relatively affluent, English speaking

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'll have to figure out a way to get new music into my life.

https://www.kexp.org/

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The cool thing about new music is no matter what you listen to it will be better than everything released between 1960 and 1979

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

There's always more anime and so there's always more music.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Fridges got really lovely

My sister in law got a Samsung fridge 2 years ago that is “smart.” It has a lovely android tablet built in the door. Everyone was really excited to draw on it. It has started getting phantom touches and playing music full blast in the middle of the night, every night, and also repeatedly during thanksgiving and Christmas

Incredible

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

deep dish peat moss posted:

The cool thing about new music is no matter what you listen to it will be better than everything released between 1960 and 1979

Jesus H Christ.

Probably the dumbest thing I've seen from you.

"Two decades of music was forgettable trash. Come listen to DJ DogeDog feat Blood Pimp/Masterbatory Nun/Lil' XYZ/Lil' ABC/Lil' DTF instead. gently caress the loser Beatles lol."

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 3, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sorry grandpa that's just the way it is :smug:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The zoomers love rumours

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I don't get exposed to pretty much any new stuff. I have to actively search it out and I just sort of don't. I couldn't name a single Taylor Swift song if someone had a gun to my head. I thought Call Me Maybe was one for like a decade but just found out I was wrong!

I listen to NPR almost exclusively when I'm in my car. I have a USB plugged in with a bunch of old music I liked and I haven't updated it in years. However, I did just get spotify because I wanted to create a playlist of all of the songs my late father would play. Boomer rock, I guess, as was mentioned. Which I love and always will. And I listen to it in my basement on a huge amplifier and play along to it on guitar, bass, drums. It's fun.

I've seen a bunch of famous people (Obama, etc) post their songs they are listening to and they'll list 20 bands/performers I've never heard of. I'll have to figure out a way to get new music into my life.

I'm not trying to come off like "I don't even own a TV" but rather more like "I'm way behind the times and I should really really try to expose myself to new stuff but I don't care too much atm?"

:corsair:

:smith:

We went over it earlier in this thread but bandcamp is actually a great way to discover new music. At least until songtradr bleeds it dry and dismantles it.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

redshirt posted:

I've never signed up for Spotify and I doubt I ever will, because I am 1. Old and 2. Paranoid and 3. I guess I've heard enough "new" music that I don't care about it anymore.

Good for you, it's a bunch of bloated, data-scraping, ad-serving horseshit designed to feed you the same algorithmic slurry spewing from YouTube and TikTok.

Like it's not even a good algorithm, I've found way more cool poo poo just browsing Bandcamp's "similar artists" sections.

Also I don't know what filetype or bitrate they're using but everything sounds compressed as poo poo. Sure there's a graphic EQ, but it's buried like six submenus deep just to make extra sure their average user doesn't accidentally listen to music with a sense of intentionality instead of chugging flavorless media gruel straight from the digital pipe.

Spotify is a glorified background noise machine and can suck poo poo off my balls.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Now that I think of it, SA is where I get random music recommendations. I remember learning of a few like the metal band Goblin Cock, Mark Ronson and the Business International (Bang Bang Bang is... a banger), and Argentine rock band Eruca Sativa who I really, really like. I wish I understood Spanish.

Still way behind the times though.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 3, 2024

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i find new music by checking the events pages for the local venues, going to any show with spiky words on the poster and buying the cds of whichever bands kicked the most rear end

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Jesus H Christ.

"Two decades of music was forgettable trash. Come listen to DJ DogeDog feat Blood Pimp/Masterbatory Nun/Lil' XYZ/Lil' ABC/Lil' DTF instead. gently caress the loser Beatles lol."

Production-wise they're absolutely right, though. Nowadays you can record poo poo in your bedroom that handily outshines all but the best-produced albums of the era.

This also leads to a massive proliferation of smaller artists releasing their stuff into the world, which I think is cool as gently caress. There has literally never been a better time for music in recorded history than this moment. There are endless, constantly evolving subgenres packed with fresh, exciting artists. Contemporary jazz, metal, and prog are so compositional and technically complex compared to what was happening in the 60's and 70's that they hardly seem like the same genres anymore.

You just don't get to hear most of it because it's not being boosted by algorithms. The 60's and 70's were a creative desert compared to what's going on today.

Edit:

dreezy posted:

i find new music by checking the events pages for the local venues, going to any show with spiky words on the poster and buying the cds of whichever bands kicked the most rear end

This is and has always been the one true way.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 3, 2024

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Jesus H Christ.

My favorite argument against this is "Sugar Sugar" was number one on the charts for 1969.

Just an absolute dogshit song

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Beastie posted:

My favorite argument against this is "Sugar Sugar" was number one on the charts for 1969.

There are a whole lot of dogshit songs that top the charts to this day!

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Production-wise they're absolutely right, though. Nowadays you can record poo poo in your bedroom that handily outshines all but the best-produced albums of the era.

Well yeah. Technology improves over time. I've recorded my own poo poo and can just click and drag on a computer to edit it. Way cheaper than needing a studio as well.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

This also leads to a massive proliferation of smaller artists releasing their stuff into the world, which I think is cool as gently caress.

This is what I'm mostly excited about.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 3, 2024

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Beastie posted:

It's true though, look at the Billboard charts for those decades and you'll find a lot of your classic rock darlings conspicuously absent from the top 10's. Society has always prioritized lowest common denominator music because we need something to play over speakers at grocery stores and malls.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Modal Auxiliary posted:

This also leads to a massive proliferation of smaller artists releasing their stuff into the world, which I think is cool as gently caress. There has literally never been a better time for music in recorded history than this moment. There are endless, constantly evolving subgenres packed with fresh, exciting artists. Contemporary jazz, metal, and prog are so compositional and technically complex compared to what was happening in the 60's and 70's that they hardly seem like the same genres anymore.

You just don't get to hear most of it because it's not being boosted by algorithms. The 60's and 70's were a creative desert compared to what's going on today.

Edit:

This is and has always been the one true way.

I want to argue that 70's analogue studio production COULD BE the absolute peak of music will ever be (unless someone uses all that same old technology again). It wasn't always of course, but bands like ELO and YES certainly are examples. But I don't have the mental fortitude at this time, thank you.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Society has always prioritized lowest common denominator music because we need something to play over speakers at grocery stores and malls.

To reiterate, this holds true to this day. And probably always will because people are stupid. A whole lot of the poo poo you hear on the radio is over-produced autotune garbage. It might even be a great song, but a poo poo ton of it is done on a computer.

Take away all of the effects and have someone like Grimes perform live like that. It would be utter garbage.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

redshirt posted:

I want to argue that 70's analogue studio production COULD BE the absolute peak of music will ever be (unless someone uses all that same old technology again). It wasn't always of course, but bands like ELO and YES certainly are examples. But I don't have the mental fortitude at this time, thank you.

I was literally thinking of Jeff Lynne as I typed "the best produced albums of the era."

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
theres also like, way more completely dogshit music being "released" than ever. those bedroom recording secret genius amateurs are vastly outnumbered by the mediocre masses taking advantage of the low entry barrier. any dipshit can loop.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Modal Auxiliary posted:

translation: you can use Garage Band to digitally speed up your unlistenable 45 minute widdlywiddlywiddlyweeeee! wank jams to a pace undreamt of by the already unlistenable widdlywee merchants of the 70s

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Take me back to the decade where all the cartoons were poorly animated toy commercials for children

Pity the children who asked for Transformers and got GoBots instead.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

I'm Crap posted:

translation: you can use Garage Band to digitally speed up your unlistenable 45 minute widdlywiddlywiddlyweeeee! wank jams to a pace undreamt of by the already unlistenable widdlywee merchants of the 70s

Yeah dude, it loving owns. :rock:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Jesus H Christ.

You can't make a post about how you don't know modern music and be the person arguing against it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Feels sketchy to single out rap coded names but not Greta Van Fleet

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Feels sketchy to single out rap coded names but not Greta Van Fleet

greta van fleet are absolutely WOATed, for all the poo poo I was talking just now I'd rather listen to tuneless "technically advanced" prog/metal than their garbage

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

To reiterate, this holds true to this day. And probably always will because people are stupid. A whole lot of the poo poo you hear on the radio is over-produced autotune garbage. It might even be a great song, but a poo poo ton of it is done on a computer.

Take away all of the effects and have someone like Grimes perform live like that. It would be utter garbage.

I feel silly defending her but Grimes isn't a good example for this—or at least she wasn't in 2012 when I saw her. She played her set with a cloud of synths and samplers around her and vox running through just some pedals. No laptop even just running Ableton to help trigger scenes, either. I'm sure there wasn't anything going on in the background because of knowing the sound guy at the time. She's not a great person and fairly dumb but she's a legitimately pretty good musician.

Also how is whether or not someone is able to perform something live themselves a measure of whether it's LCD garbage or a great artistic achievement? Composition/arrangement and performance have been separate in many types of music for a long time anyway.

Something that has gotten shittier in the music world is more and more music software moving to iLok. I loving hate iLok, it's absurdly user unfriendly and it doesn't even provide very good protection for devs.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

StormDrain posted:

You can't make a post about how you don't know modern music and be the person arguing against it.

It was an overreaction to someone saying two decades of music are garbage. That's just incredibly dumb. There has probably been good music since humans started banging rocks around the tribal campfire. Flat generalizations usually upset me. I responded with my own.

I kinda want to make a band named The Blood Pimps though. It just popped in my head while I was trying to think of something stupid.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Grimes is super talented imo but that’s it

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
grimes is fake björk who, in her turn, is fake kate bush

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Kate bush wrote the stranger things song right

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Kagrenak posted:

I feel silly defending her but Grimes isn't a good example for this—or at least she wasn't in 2012 when I saw her. She played her set with a cloud of synths and samplers around her and vox running through just some pedals. No laptop even just running Ableton to help trigger scenes, either. I'm sure there wasn't anything going on in the background because of knowing the sound guy at the time. She's not a great person and fairly dumb but she's a legitimately pretty good musician.

Also how is whether or not someone is able to perform something live themselves a measure of whether it's LCD garbage or a great artistic achievement? Composition/arrangement and performance have been separate in many types of music for a long time anyway.

Something that has gotten shittier in the music world is more and more music software moving to iLok. I loving hate iLok, it's absurdly user unfriendly and it doesn't even provide very good protection for devs.

I just picked her at random because she's a legitimate moron. I don't know so I take it back if she is actually talented. The whole live performance thing exposes true physical talent. I could make some amazing music and make my voice sound like a 25 year old woman while sitting right here on my ripped couch. People would throw rotten vegetables at me live with zero effects. Because the talent wasn't physical, it was software.

I'm not saying making everything on a computer is bad because like, Mozart or John Williams wrote a ton of poo poo and other people performed it. It was their mind that created it which is wonderful. It's just that with software and now AI you can just click a button and sound perfectly fine even if you can't sing or you have zero musical talent. I mean, Daft Punk is pretty good so I'm not against everything digital.

Yes. I respect the ability to be a talented musician playing/singing in a crowded bar more than anyone who is just famous because of a boardroom of executives and computers.

:corsair: yet again.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 3, 2024

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I saw girl talk live one time and he just plugged in his laptop and played feed the animals and did nothing else

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I had a poetry career once, lol, and for this amazing live show in Cambridge MA I got this super hot friend to wear a bikini and paint on this big long parchment while this other hot goth girl played theremin while I read my set. It was amazing, for real. There was a crowd of like 40 and I think they got their money (free)'s worth.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
This thread was always going to have this happen, but it got way further than I expected.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

redshirt posted:

I had a poetry career once, lol, and for this amazing live show in Cambridge MA I got this super hot friend to wear a bikini and paint on this big long parchment while this other hot goth girl played theremin while I read my set. It was amazing, for real. There was a crowd of like 40 and I think they got their money (free)'s worth.

This reminds me of the time I once went to an ambient/noise show (in lower Allston, MA lol) with a side attraction of a crowd sourced haircut (take a cut, pass the scissors, repeat) for the performer while she was loving around with her modular synth. It was also free and also ruled.

e: the haircut was not as bad as you would think and she wore it until it grew out which I gotta respect.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Ambient/noise shows always got some chicanery going on

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The zoomers love rumours

Rumours is an absolute jewel of an album, though.

Speaking of things that get shitter for no reason: imagine being someone in 1979 going down to pick up the newest Fleetwood Mac album, Tusk. It's a double album! And Rumours was so great, there'll be TWICE as much good music on Tusk, right? And then you get home and get the record on the turntable and it opens with Over And Over, a perfectly serviceable song by Christine McVie.

Then the song ends and up comes The Ledge. How many people just stopped and stared at the record player as....whatever that was started happening?

(actually, no, it's not something that got shitter for a reason. The reason it got shitter was; cocaine and lots of it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mad Hamish posted:

The reason it got shitter was; cocaine and lots of it)

Stephen King did some of his best work blasted out of his mind on cocaine. :colbert: