Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

theblackw0lf posted:

I wonder if Disco Elysium and BG3 came out the same year which would win? BG3 probably would because it’s more popular, but wonder which would win among those who played both.

I’d vote for Disco as my favorite.

It'd be close but on this forum I think DE could edge it out even though BG obviously has wider appeal. Fwiw I liked DE even more when I replayed it like a year after it came out, I think I ranked it just under Outer Wilds for goty '19 even though now I feel that Disco has made a bigger impact on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
BG3 would win but secretly we would all look back in five years and be like "hmm, yeah DE was the better game" in our hearts of hearts

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

I wonder if Disco Elysium and BG3 came out the same year which would win? BG3 probably would because it’s more popular, but wonder which would win among those who played both.

I’d vote for Disco as my favorite.

BG3 would win I think.

SirSamVimes posted:

I'd still vote alan wake 2

But yes I would also still vote for alan wake 2

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Of the two I think Disco Elysium cuts a little closer to the essence of goon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Disco Elysium is about a guy who forcefully evangelizes communism and is also a huge loser who destroyed his own life, so of course goons identify with it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I bought Disco Elysium at the start of the pandemic along with DOS2 and thought it frequently dragged despite it being under 20 hours long. Was happy for it to be over. Played DOS2 right after that for 120 hours and was bummed when the credits rolled. BG3 is better than DOS2 so yeah, that would not be a hard choice.

haveblue posted:

Disco Elysium is about a guy who forcefully evangelizes communism and is also a huge loser who destroyed his own life, so of course goons identify with it

:lol:

I've honestly never been more sick of hearing about a game than Disco Elysium. And I even liked it!

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 2, 2024

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

haveblue posted:

:page3:
Good god man.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

haveblue posted:

:hmmyes:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qunyrUPrwWM&t=23s

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Disco for sure, to this day I still think about it all the time. BG3 discourse died down pretty quick after the period between the "it's a horny game too folks" teaser and a bit after release when everybody was getting to Act 3 whereas it felt like Disco chatter was going furious so far into the next year that it ranked top 5? again.

I think they're too different to fairly compare tho, Disco's whole thing was removing the combat entirely and narrowing the focus on soft, human, and dark stuff, as well as giving you control of someone who is a complete mess, to allow a very unique and personal experience. There's no power there, there's no fantasy. BG3 is all combat packed and so huge a scope that a playthrough is 100+ hours, it's going to be some time before there's a better CRPG and if there is it's going to be an indie thing because BG3 was what Larian has been building up to for its whole existence. It's comparing the pinnacle of an existing genre with the creation and perfection of a new one all in one go, where do you even start? Also Disco was only $40

For a pithy response tho, goons would pick Disco because BG3 is 5E

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

Disco for sure, to this day I still think about it all the time. BG3 discourse died down pretty quick after the period between the "it's a horny game too folks" teaser and a bit after release when everybody was getting to Act 3 whereas it felt like Disco chatter was going furious so far into the next year that it ranked top 5? again.

As of now:

But I didn't realize you were talking about just goons so my bad

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 3, 2024

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I only just realized this thread was a thing and I wrote my list, then realized the deadline for posting lists was over! Oh well, I'll post it anyway in case anyone wants to see someone else mention the game they liked again.

This year has been crazy. It's nuts. There were so many good games! I am aware of at least a couple dozen more games that I think will be my jam but I haven't gotten around to playing yet.

List of my favorite games that came out in 2023:

8. Chants of Sennaar
I enjoyed the language puzzles a lot. I enjoyed the stealth sections a lot less.

7. Marvel: Midnight Suns
gently caress it, if Polygon put it on the 2023 list, so will I. It had some rough edges and it's really more of two very fun games awkwardly sandwiched together and not quite gelling, but it's still very good. What a shame that it bombed.

6. Boneraiser Minions and Halls of Torment
Fantastic Bullet Heaven games. So good.

5. Gunfire Reborn
A Chinese roguelite looter shooter. Probably the best example of the genre currently on the market, IMO. Had to delete it to stop myself from constantly starting it up.

4. Against the Storm
Takes the town builder genre and turns it roguelite. It's legit a whole new paradigm of town builder games. There will be as many Against-likes in a few years as there are Banished-likes and Rimworld-likes now.

3. Shadows over Loathing
Call of Cthulhu: Kingdom of Loathing style. Very sharp and funny.

2. Baldur's Gate 3
You don't need me to tell you about BG3.

1. My Time at Sandrock
I'm gonna put this on top just because barely any media Game of the Year lists mention it at all and because I think I enjoyed it more than BG3. This is, for my money, the best lifesim currently on the market. Better than Stardew Valley, that's right, you heard me. Better than Portia by a long shot and I'm one of the people who thought Portia was pretty solid. I am genuinely shaking with excitement at the thought of how good the next game in the series is gonna get.

Honorable Mentions

Hogwarts Legacy
The world is amazing, just a stunning achievement. The activities and the main story missions get pretty old by the time you're halfway through your playthrough. Still, I am very excited for the sequel, where hopefully they keep the world but lean more into lifesim/Bully gameplay.

Steamworld Build
Inoffensive but mid. The Dungeon Keeper half was more fun than the Anno half, IMO.

Dave the Diver
Very shallow but for a while it kept my interest by rapidly introducing more and more new (and equally shallow) mechanics. Eventually, I got tired of it anyway.

Starfield
I was one of the people who got hit by constant stutters even though it was already on a pretty fast SSD. Oh well, play you in like five years when you get modded from low 7 to high 7.

Strange Horticulture
The bits of gameplay that weren't identifying the flowers were kinda obtuse, tbh. I started relying heavily on the walkthroughs by the end.

Lil Gator Game
Pretty cute; a bit too lightweight to get onto the main list.

Roboquest
The other roguelite FPS I played this yes. Didn't click for me like Gunfire Reborn did.

List of older games I've played this year:

Nobody Saves the World
This was a big surprise for me. Switching around between different forms (Horse! Zombie! Lich! Mermaid!) at will is such a fun mechanic. It should be really be on my main list, if not my arbitrary decision to only add 2023 games to it.

Zelda: Breath of The Wild.
It's... okay? I enjoyed it for a while, but I got a bit bored with it long before I felt I could go and take on the final boss. (I am aware there are dudes who just go and immediately destroy them with the first stick they find, but I am not that dude.) A half-hearted 8/10 from me.

Death Stranding.
Building up these delivery networks is surprisingly satisfying. I salute Kojima for being horny on main and getting this many hot people he wants to gently caress into a single game. I don't salute Kojima for the writing.

Saints Row 2022
Kinda mid, but nowhere as bad as the Internet thinks it is. The LARP missions were actually legitimately good and fun.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodhunt
This game made me get battle royale as a genre. Had a very enjoyable couple of weeks with it, then I had to uninstall it because it was destroying my life.

Fortnite
After figuring out Bloodhunt, I played this for a week or so. It's pretty good! I don't like the construction spam mechanic, though.

Legends of Runeterra: Path of Champions
The single-player deck builder mode is my preferred veg-out-and-put-on-a-podcast-in-background game. I spent way too much time doing this.

Case of the Golden Idol DLCs
I'll make a controversial statement that they're also good. The music in the Sri Lankan one, in particular, slaps.

Supraland Six Inches Under
A puzzle FPS metroidvania. Quite good, but by the time I hit the ending and saw there was more content to clear up, I was so done.

Citizen Sleeper
I like the dice assigning mechanic and the general mechanics and structure of the game, I just wish I liked the actual writing more. "Wow, late stage capitalism, amirite fellow lefties?!" doesn't really do much for me, sorry.

Vermintide 2
This made me realize I am apparently too old for L2D-likes now.

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands
Trying to play this after Gunfire Reborn made me realize that being able to level up in an hour in GR as much as Borderlands let me level up during an entire 40 hour playthrough has basically ruined Borderlands for me.

Ghostwire: Tokyo
Cool world, meh everything that's not the world.

Honorary Best Game-Related Cultural Event of the Year:

The live Game Awards performance of Herald of Darkness. I haven't even played the game yet, but as this came up, I realized it would be impossible to keep dodging this particular spoiler, so I sat down and watched a couple of let's plays of We Sing and the official video version of HoD and then finally the live version.

And it's so good! They got the face actor dancing and voice actor singing! They actually did the dance! Have you seen how happy Sam Lake looked!?!? Amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMmU3mZ5gBc

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

BG3 would win but secretly we would all look back in five years and be like "hmm, yeah DE was the better game" in our hearts of hearts

yeah probably

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Barreft posted:

As of now:

But I didn't realize you were talking about just goons so my bad

DE is more of the high brow game vs the middlebrow game that bg3 is.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

yo, thank you to this thread for bringing up Curse of the Golden Idol a lot, I finally got and played it and loved it!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Come back in 2026 if BG3 has made top 10 three years in a row and then we can start talking about it beating Disco :colbert:

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

haveblue posted:

lmao nailed it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

and yet

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

haveblue posted:

lmfao

goddamn

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

p sure Disco Elysium is actually about a hustlegrinding superstar

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

p sure Disco Elysium is actually about a hustlegrinding superstar

weird, I remember it being about a drug-addled esotericist going cryptid hunting with his deeply exasperated best(?) friend(???)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Disco Elysium is the GOAT imo. I absolutely loved BG3, played 170 hours and ranked it #1 this year, but man, when I think back on the two of them, Disco is the one that still makes me feel feelings, even years later. I played it on release and I've been waiting for that sweet spot to go back to it, once I've forgotten enough of the details that I'll get surprised here and there, but it's just so memorable that I still haven't done it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

alright, here are games I'm looking forward to in 2024!

ENA Dream BBQ - This is based on a series of surrealist animated videos on Youtube that resemble CDi/MS-DOS CD-ROM adventure games, so naturally an actual game was inevitable. I expect it to be strange and cool.
Defender's Quest 2: Mists of Ruin - The original is one of the best TD games around, and I feel especially inclined to support this one after the creator had to step away due to a family tragedy. The demo was fun and more of what I enjoyed about the original all those years ago.

Renaine - A classic-style platformer with a beautifully-realized aesthetic, an interesting world with interesting NPCs, and a mix of chiptune, jazz and rap on the soundtrack.
Animal Well - It promises to have tons of secrets so I'm on board with that. I have only seen Dunkey promote this game once since becoming its publisher. That puts him on the level of just about your average indie publisher I suppose.

Tactical Breach Wizards - Surely this year, right?
Bushiden - The ninja slice-em-up with a nebulous release date. Looks gorgeous, hopefully 2024 is the year.

Radio the Universe - After being silent for years, Radio released a demo in 2023, so it is not quite vaporware after all....
Outriker Mako - One of my favorite demos from the very first Steam Next Fest, this action delivery game finally arrives in April.

Exophobia - A combination of Wolfenstein 3D and Metroid, this one's gone gold and should have a release date in the near future.
Phonopolis - The latest from Amanita Design (Samorost, Creaks, Botanicula) is set in a jaw-dropping papercraft world.

Gestalt: Steam & Cinder - A PS1-styled hack and slash Metroidvania that promises a 2024 release after going silent through 2023.
Keylocker - An eccentric isometric turn based JRPG from Moonana (Osteoblasts, Virgo vs the Zodiac) with a very cool look.

Old Skies - This cheeky screenshot got added to Old Skies' store page at one point so we can guess on the release date. It's the latest point and click adventure from Wadjet Eye Games and I love the high-definition look of it, mixed with the very angular drawings, which calls to mind Sierra's final adventures like Space Quest 6.
Flowstone Saga - The first game from former OCRemix mainstay Zircon and his (usually a VST music synth producer/programmer) company is a JRPG that has Tetris for combat.

Lorn's Lure - Naissance fans take note, this is a "climb very very tall areas" game that originated on the Haunted PS1 Demo Disc. The demo was great and I'm looking forward to see how people route their way through this game.
Fallen Aces - An semi-immsim with comic book visuals in a noir setting, this just missed 2023 but should arrive in the first half of this year. Another retro revival game picked up by New Blood Interactive.

Scrabdackle - A top-down Zeldalike with a lot of spells to learn and a cute look, my main question after the demo is seeing how well the controls handle throughout the game.
SELACO - The most anticipated retro shooter since Dusk, this will be launching in Early Access in May. Somehow this is made in GZDoom.

Townseek - A cozy and cute trading simulator with an expansive map to explore. A real surprise from the Next Fests that I happened upon after seeing one second of it in an E3 event sizzle reel in 2021.
SacriFire - Ever since Octopath Traveler, indies have been getting into the 2D-HD style and this is the next one to release after Wandering Sword.

Ereban: Shadow Legacy - Stealth meets Splatoon.
Psychroma - Trippy existential horror.

Cryptmaster - A mix of typing game and dungeon crawler with an unamused DM.
Antonblast - The OTHER Wario-Land-like, although this one is nowhere near as insanely fast as Pizza Tower so it might be less stressful to play.

Another Crab's Treasure - A Soulslike by Aggro Crab (Going Under) with a unique shell-based shield and ability system and some 3D platforming.
Dream Tactics - Streamlined card-based strategy RPG with cute GBA-like visuals

Demonschool - Isometric indie JRPG with boardgame-ish combat and 'mystery gang' esque college vibes.
Slave Zero X - 2.5D action slasher inspired by character action games and Strider 2.

Paper Perjury - Indie Ace Attorney-like about a police clerk that gets wrapped up in a series of crime investigations when curiosity gets the better of them.
Bits & Bops - If Melatonin was a bit too sleepy for you, Bits & Bops is a Rhythm Heaven clone that has more upbeat music and very colorful animation.

Penny's Big Breakaway - A 3D platformer with Sega Genesis-inspired color theory and yo-yo themed abilities.
Luna Abyss - Strange FPS in a dystopian sci-fi setting with auto-aim for casual players, so this almost feels like an old 2000s console FPS throwback.

DoubleShake - 2.5D platformer inspired by Mischief Makers and Tomba.
Dewdrop Dynasty - Metroidvania with minimalist art and gun combat.

A Rat's Life - Literally a communist rat game.
Loco Motive - Solve a train murder in this point and click adventure with obvious Lucasarts inspiration.

Yellow Taxi Goes Vroom - An insane mashup of 3D platformer and Crazy Taxi, the demo was sick.
Moonlight Pulse - The new Metroidvania by the developer of time-looper Vision: Soft Reset.

Asbury Pines - A story-rich idler with Twin Peaks vibes.
LOK Digital - Looks to be a great adaptation of a puzzlebook series where highlighted words have special powers to help you complete the grid.

Junkienator - First-person clean-em-up with slight horror vibes.
Kitsune: the Journey of Adashino - Horror-adventure presented like a PS2 game.

The Darkest Files - Investigate Nazi crimes of the past and round up the remaining stragglers in the 1950s.
The Abandoned Planet - ICOM inspired sci-fi adventure.

The Toxic Crusaders - A little janky at the moment but could shape up to be similar to Shredder's Revenge.
Mythwrecked - The gods are too depressed and sad to remember who they are; you'll have to help them remember and reconnect each other's bonds to get off the island.

Genopanic - What if Dead Space was a cute Metroidvania?
Victory Heat Rally - 90s arcade racing with a lot of drifting.

That doesn't even cover half of what's coming out in 2024, there's so much. There's also expected 1.0 releases for Beyond Sunset, Extraneum, Hyperviolent, Viscerafest, Wrath Aeon of Ruin, Graven, Forgive Me Father 2, and possibly even Satisfactory?? (okay maybe the last one is wishful thinking.)

Others that might or should be on the way in 2024: Rosewater, Rebel Transmute, Tracks of Thoughts, Nivalis, The Crimson Diamond, NAIRI: Rising Tide, Robobeat, The Star Named EOS, Relentless Frontier, Greek Tragedy, Love Ghostie, Echo Point Nova, Discolored 2, Paper Trail, Being & Becoming, Rotwood, Dormiveglia, Go-Go Town, Asura the Striker, Captain Wayne, The Rise of the Golden Idol, Another Code: Recollection, Dragon's Dogma 2, Anger Foot, Blade Chimera, Cat Quest 3, Death Trick: Double Blind, EDF6, Hyper Light Breaker, Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story, Neva, Trails Through Daybreak, Open Roads, Sons of The Forest, Ufouria: The Saga 2, Unicorn Overlord, Space Marine 2, Decapolice, Fantasy Life i, On Your Tail, The Plucky Squire, Skate Story, Shantae Advance, World of Goo 2, Zenless Zone Zero

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 3, 2024

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The 7th Guest posted:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Always gotta make sure to point out penny's big breakaway is by the sonic mania team, because that immediately makes it like 5x more intriguing to me

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

same but also

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Are we posting music? Hell yes.

Cloudbuilt's OST was Jacob Lincke's first professional work, and he loving nailed it. For Super Cloudbuilt he stuck with a winning formula and just redid the same compositions with minor tweaks and better instrumentation, and the result is one of my all-time favourite soundtracks.

Here's the track for the Day levels, "Aerial Walkways":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGtUfa2fe6g

And the credits theme, "Cloudscapes and Speed":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytmukdIbH5E

But honestly I could post most of the OST here.

The Ghostrunner soundtrack isn't likely to become a perennial listen for me, but it still has some pretty sick tracks, and they work excellently with the gameplay. Here's the title theme, "Air":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR9LWCpVnzs
I don't think they work as well as Cloudbuilt's does outside the game, but listening to "Air" and "Infiltrator" always makes me want to pick it back up for a bit.

Meanwhile, I played through Ace Combat 4, 5, and Zero, and while I enjoyed them a bunch, I didn't enjoy them quite enough for them to make it onto the top ten; but the soundtracks are excellent. ACZ's final boss isn't really fun to fight but check out this track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80XAJKqRU9k

Or this somewhat more mellow briefing theme from AC5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP0S3xL2S8U

Am I ever going to replay them? Doubtful. But those soundtracks will stick with me for a while.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

The 7th Guest posted:

(Yes, neither has more solid release dates than their quarter and Hades II is just the early access, it's enough.)

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Disco Elysium is the GOAT imo. I absolutely loved BG3, played 170 hours and ranked it #1 this year, but man, when I think back on the two of them, Disco is the one that still makes me feel feelings, even years later. I played it on release and I've been waiting for that sweet spot to go back to it, once I've forgotten enough of the details that I'll get surprised here and there, but it's just so memorable that I still haven't done it.

What everyone remembers is the vibes (and A+ vibes they are) but mechanically Disco's skill system was also great stuff. Passive skill checks gave you an extremely opinionated narrator and by leveling them up you got more of the stuff you were interested in. BG3 had some skill checks but their heart wasn't really in it. It's still a great game, chock full of stuff.

The 7th Guest posted:

drat, some of those look cool as hell, maybe 2024 won't be the dud everyone's saying it'll be.

It's not quite my cup of tea but I've got friends who are eager for more Tekken.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm looking forward to playing Hollow Knight: Silksong and Deltarune chapter 3 in the year 2024.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rarity posted:

Come back in 2026 if BG3 has made top 10 three years in a row and then we can start talking about it beating Disco :colbert:

I feel like its a lock for that. Everyone is going to be loving this game for a very long time. Its a modern classic!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

dreamless posted:

What everyone remembers is the vibes (and A+ vibes they are) but mechanically Disco's skill system was also great stuff. Passive skill checks gave you an extremely opinionated narrator and by leveling them up you got more of the stuff you were interested in. BG3 had some skill checks but their heart wasn't really in it. It's still a great game, chock full of stuff.

This is the heart of all good skill systems in RPGs. They're a device for showing the game/game master what the player is interested in. If a player is putting points in a skill they should be seeing more content related to it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Skald: Against the Black Priory is finally coming out next year. It just got an updated demo, too.

But my most anticipated game is Caves of Qud finally hitting 1.0.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

dreamless posted:

Agreed DEs are much more interesting than bg3s. BG3 also suffers in that department because there is a clear mechanical benefit to making the PC a Charisma based class [explaining the popularity of Paladin and sorcerer] to get the most out of [charisma skill] conversation options and get the best shop prices. Meanwhile many of the passive checks are wisdom based and that explains why the cleric you generally pick up as your first companion tends to stay in most parties so she can spot traps and treasure alongside her other support abilities.
So mechanically sure you get a bunch of options but why bother when it's obviously a good idea to max your charisma and have your cleric slap you with enhance ability/guidance. Especially when the consequence of failure isn't like funny outcome but instead you probably just picked a fight. Not at all like DE and much more in line with a traditional cprg which I consider bg3 to be.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

Fallen Aces - An semi-immsim with comic book visuals in a noir setting, this just missed 2023 but should arrive in the first half of this year. Another retro revival game picked up by New Blood Interactive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWNH6y8_XCo

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Rarity posted:

ewww.

I'd rather play new awesome games every year, instead of the same one every year.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The 7th Guest posted:

Luna Abyss - Strange FPS in a dystopian sci-fi setting with auto-aim for casual players, so this almost feels like an old 2000s console FPS throwback.

This was one of my most anticipated of 23, so now most anticipated of 24 (or whenever it comes out). However, my anticipation is based on the devs presenting it as a tough-as-nails bullet hell platformer. It's been described as a first person Returnal and, like that game, the auto-aim window is there so you can focus on traversal and evasion. I'm not really getting any casual or throwback messaging from previews. People who had hands on time thought it was pretty challenging.

It had a cool Gamescom trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioWHdcy6m1Y

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Jossar posted:

(Yes, neither has more solid release dates than their quarter and Hades II is just the early access, it's enough.)

Hades 2 EA's one of the reasons I grabbed a Steam Deck (though I didn't know it'd take this long to come out), I 100%'d Hades twice and was working on a third so I don't think I'll burn out on this by the time it gets released.

Warm Snow's been scratching that itch for me in the meantime; could use less of that overly horny shopkeeper dialogue though.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Okay checked my wishlist and there's a biiiit more than Balatro and Hades II. I mean, obviously there's those, but here's some other fun stuff promised for 2024.

Songs of Silence: (Q1 2024) My Steam thread review of Songs of Silence was "what if you were playing a slightly less complicated version of Dominions, but the big difference is they let you do your combat orders in real time rather than having to program them in advance" and that's as good as a gist-conveying statement as anything else.

Roots of Yggdrasil: (January 24th, 2024) Deck-based City Builder with limited time before Yggdrasil forces a reboot. Can't really escape comparisons to Against the Storm, but for what it's worth, when comparing the demo-versions of each, I liked this one more. Entirely to taste though.

Earthless: (2024) The Homeworld guys make a sci-fi roguelike deckbuilder with grid-based tactical combat. I know it isn't set in the Homeworld universe, but they're sure pushing the feel as though it is.

Boomerang Jack (2024) I may be the only person in the world genuinely excited for Boomerang Jack, the spectacle fighter/action platformer that looks like an early 2000s flash game.

HeistGeist (2024) This game hacked its way into my heart one NextFest with a very smartly paced setup for cyberpunk heists via two different cardgames played in on-off rounds with interactions between different parts of the heist. Hopefully they make things a little more balanced between sections by the time this releases.

Solium Infernum (February 14, 2024) A little bit less excited for this than I was before League of Geeks decided to can Jumplight Odyssey and half its' employees, otherwise it would have been in my immediate to-buy pile along with Balatro and Hades II. I'm hoping that because there's clearly been more company investment in this game of backbiting, hellish politics it'll be good. But, well... pride goeth.

Baladins (2024) The world's cutest, bite-sized session, Co-OP RPG.

Umigame (2024) Okay, this is the only one I'm absolutely 100% convinced is going to be a disaster no matter what, mostly because the NextFest demo was held together with spit and duct tape. But y'know, complete disaster in a still-kind of fun way. The appeal of bouncing around an aquatic environment at top speed as a Battle Turtle armed with lightsabers is too fun of a concept to not look forward to.

Lightyear Frontier (March 2024) They crash-landed Battlemechs in Stardew Valley.

Nivalis (2024) Cyberpunk Slice of Life Sim. Gonna say it's right in between HeistGeist and Lightyear Frontier in terms of tone. The corps might harvest your organs... but you've got a noodle cart/nightclub/whatever to run!

Starminer (2024) Mine asteroids to build a fleet to defend yourself while you harvest more asteroids to build a bigger fleet to blow stuff up and make money. Numbers must go up, no matter who stands in your way.

Alliance of the Sacred Suns (2024) I feel like this politics-in-space/managing an empire game's been in development hell for a bit, but the developer's promising that it's coming out in 2024 for realsies, so I guess we'll see. Remember, you only get one lifetime to fix the empire!

Helldivers 2 (February 8, 2024) I don't really know anything about this one, apart from it being a big ol' rooty tooty shooty experience but it looks fun enough from screenshots to anticipate playing.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

did the final list get compiled yet?