Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
bush league for Perfitti to talk to the media about that. Hartman's trying to do a standup thing by letting the kid know about the business and how things are kept to a reasonable level in the NHL. Perfitti took that act of good will and hung him out to dry. next game should be fun between those two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Jhet posted:

I'd be perfectly happy for the NHL to consistently call those things. Then you could consistently also deal with Hartman and his poo poo stirring and I'd have no complaints. But you need to take care of the actions that are causing injury which they've not done. In the last two years it's those lovely cross checks that have knocked Kaprizov out for longer injury rests, and he's not the first the first player to get taken out by them. So if you're not going to take care of those as there is a risk of injury in them, then I don't mind the poo poo stirring back to also not get punished severely.

Can't wait for this to happen again in 10 days when Minnesota and Dallas play a home and away series as well. Suter is one of the old masters at those garbage cross checks.

I think Hartmann is more than just a poo poo stirrer who does things in retaliation. He is regularly the one causing injuries as well.

But yeah the NHL needs to improve the reffing and be consistent. They let things get out of hand in one game and then call a bunch of phantom penalties the next and it does nothing to keep things in control

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay good we got the insane idiot take out of the way.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

bush league for Perfitti to talk to the media about that. Hartman's trying to do a standup thing by letting the kid know about the business and how things are kept to a reasonable level in the NHL. Perfitti took that act of good will and hung him out to dry. next game should be fun between those two

This poo poo got settled last game when Dillon had to fight, this was just more bush league garbage from Hartman

https://youtu.be/S5EaRogz7b4?si=VDLmTXMTUoDrvz3W

https://youtu.be/C-zOGbZTPVQ?si=7DHQO-HXBHCJpUUT

One of my least liked players in the league right now

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Aphrodite posted:

It's not just ownership. The PA is routinely against safety too.

An injured player gets paid by insurance, a suspended player loses their money.

What's stopping the PA from seeking that change in the next CBA? Or would that be a non-starter because all the players are ideology poisoned that violence is good, actually

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So crazy stuff aside did you forget the part about Hartman’s comments literally being caught on the broadcast mic

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Aces High posted:

What's stopping the PA from seeking that change in the next CBA? Or would that be a non-starter because all the players are ideology poisoned that violence is good, actually

That, plus, they would rather have money than safety.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Hahahahaha

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Coach's Boxc

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Yo PAS, what is going on with EK65? The Pens have been playing better lately, but while he started the year hot, he's had a whopping 6 pts since Thanksgiving (US). Has he looked hurt? Did he just overeat so epically he's still bloated? What is up?

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

lol

lmao

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I think you've gone about 4-2 from this post.

I did get a laugh out of it, and about Hartman telling him "how it goes". What tends to happen is a poo poo heel from your team targets the top players on my team, so then a top poo poo heel from my team will go after some player on your team. It's a tale as old as time.

The irony is this same poo poo happens in beer league hockey constantly. Not confusingly, the quickest way for it to stop happening is to put the poo poo heels in the box so they can yell at each other over the head of whoever is running the clock.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Minnesota is really the most fun team in the league to cheer against and it's a shame that more people don't realize this. They have the golden trifecta for entertainment of a roster full of unlikeable thugs, huge sore loser energy and a very pronounced tendency to choke in any important game.

Marc Andre Fleury is a cool guy though, too good for that franchise in my opinion.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 3, 2024

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Starsfan posted:

Minnesota is really the most fun team in the league to cheer against and it's a shame that more people don't realize this. They have the golden trifecta for entertainment of a roster full of unlikeable thugs, huge sore loser energy and a very pronounced tendency to choke in any important game.

Marc Andre Fleury is a cool guy though, too good for that franchise in my opinion.

St.Louis has all of that dialed up to 11.

Cool fans though.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Habibi posted:

Yo PAS, what is going on with EK65? The Pens have been playing better lately, but while he started the year hot, he's had a whopping 6 pts since Thanksgiving (US). Has he looked hurt? Did he just overeat so epically he's still bloated? What is up?

Early in the year Sullivan made a comment about EK "improving" his defensive game or something like that... so blame Sullivan for giving EK65 the Bylsma-Iginla treatment.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Habibi posted:

EK started the year with Marcus Pettersson and his 5v5 production was good and Letang's was very bad. So they swapped MP and Ryan Graves. Since then EK's points have completely tanked and all of a sudden Letang's production has exploded. It's mostly Ryan Graves is very bad in Sullivan's system and somehow addressing that would go a long long way to improving the team and would likely return EK's production.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's astounding how much Mike Sullivan does not understand his own system.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I get that they're stuck with Graves now but literally all Sullivan has to do is LET PIERRE OLIVIER-JOSEPH loving PLAY, for 2nd line minutes with EK, and Graves on the third pairing and John Ludwig in WBS or the press box where he belongs. And the Pens defensemen would just like that be collectively good and a good fit for Sullivan's system which somehow random guys on the internet understand better than he does.

edit because you can't stop me I'm on a roll now: look back over the years just over the guys who have come through Pittsburgh for a year or two, and almost every defenseman the Pens have had who can't really play positional defense but can move the puck has played better in Pittsburgh than elsewhere and almost every defenseman they've had who's supposed to be a Sound Defensive Defenseman has looked awful under Sullivan. This is not rocket surgery ffs.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 3, 2024

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Starsfan posted:

Minnesota is the most middle of the road team in every way in probably NHL history, just nothing notable or outstanding but also never a bottom feeder. And i say that as a doomed wild fan

Way more fun to cheer against the Oilers (who are back baby)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Habibi posted:

The Pens powerplay stinks. He's put up excellent numbers 5v5 analytically. He's got a 55% xgoals at 5v5 which leads the Penguins defense by several points (Letang is 2nd with 53% or so).

And yes I don't think switching him to Graves' pairing has done him any favors, but it seems to be working out standings-wise as the Pens have been doing well lately. If EK has to suffer playing with Graves in order for the rest of the Pens d to play well then I guess it's EK's cross to bear.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Starsfan posted:

Mats Zuccarello erasure and I won’t stand for it.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

I get that they're stuck with Graves now but literally all Sullivan has to do is LET PIERRE OLIVIER-JOSEPH loving PLAY, for 2nd line minutes with EK, and Graves on the third pairing and John Ludwig in WBS or the press box where he belongs. And the Pens defensemen would just like that be collectively good and a good fit for Sullivan's system which somehow random guys on the internet understand better than he does.

I think this is the best solution to their current problem but won't happen at all because PoJ is, currently, giving up nearly 4 goals every 60 minutes played with a 25% goals for (at 5v5). That said Ludvig is a complete disaster and also rocks a 26% goals for at 5s with an almost as disastrous 3.4 GA/60. PoJ also has phenomenal 57% xGF....but he's definitely been scored on a lot when played up the lineup previous years. I wonder if they ever give Ty Smith any kind of pretend look ever.

Edit: Oh yeah and the 3rd pairing is completely unplayable. Extremely bad. Finding any kind of improvement with a shuffle of Graves down and someone that can compliment EK or Tanger would go miles to making things better.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

POJ has gotten very little time with Letang or EK though IIRC. He's still a much better fit for the system than Graves much less Ludwig.

He's always going to be bad in his own end but he can move the puck and IMO if they'd just play him with EK and leave him alone they'd be better off than with any other D pair. Graves/Ruhwedel as a 3rd pairing would... still be better on another team than on the Penguins, but surviveable. Probably.

If (when) Letang or EK gets long term hurt the Pens are all the way screwed though.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 3, 2024

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

Mats Zuccarello erasure and I won’t stand for it.

He's still on IR. I don't know if he's moved from week to week to day to day, but it's been like that since the middle of December. Everyone is correct about Minnesota being competently mediocre. It's been over two decades of it, so I don't know why it'd change now. I'll still watch them.

The Oilers are indeed always fun to cheer against, but my all time schadenfreude team will forever be Vancouver.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hell yeah, time to watch some Caps Pens, let’s go!

ESPN+/Hulu?

gently caress that, see ya’ll tomorrow.
:itwaspoo:

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://x.com/br_openice/status/1742345457739694283?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Coward refs refused to call the Avery Rule

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Is his name Avery?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

The Dirty Burger posted:

hosed up what the Sabres are doing to Devon Levi this year, just waived Comrie today too so he’s there to stay lol
Yeah. It's brutal.

Sabres goaltending has been all over the place this season.

UPL and Levi have both had a handful of games where they absolutely stood on their heads and stole a win.

They've both had a handful of games where they let in like 3-6 of the softest softies you've ever seen and cost the team a win.

And a bunch of times the Sabres score 1 or 0 goals and it doesn't really matter what the goalies do.

And then there's times where the Sabres don't play defense at all and even prime Hasek wouldn't be able to win.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://x.com/Capitals/status/1742356385218572749

https://x.com/BaileyAJohnson_/status/1742355932409987173?s=20

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Honestly great move. They've been having Ovi shoot from that left side for fuckin 20 years. This is new and goalies don't know how to deal with it.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Ryan Graves doing a stellar job clearing the front of the net certainly contributed.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Furnaceface posted:

St.Louis has all of that dialed up to 11.

Cool fans though.

lol have you watched the Blues the past couple years? Brayden Schenn is like the only guy that's enforcer-adjacent at this point, they even finally got rid of bortuzzo

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mike_V posted:

lol have you watched the Blues the past couple years?

Why would we do that?

I see Jake Neighbours has 12G+2A, that's neat.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
JVR has 25 points in 34 games. I am starting to think he might have a career year at age 34.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Why would we do that?

I see Jake Neighbours has 12G+2A, that's neat.

I don't blame anyone for not watching them and their future is not inspiring

at one point int he past couple weeks they had more SHG than PPG

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

JVR is a very nice complimentary middle 6er that can 'do a job' and is good on the powerplay. He's actually shooting below his career average too. A very nice pick up for Boston. I'm jealous.

Meanwhile the Pens spotted Washington 4 goals and didn't have enough to come back. Going O fer on the 2 late 3rd period power plays costs them the most likely. Also....Ryan Graves was actually so diabolically bad in the first period even Sullivan could not ignore it and demoted him to the 3rd pairing and PoJ jumped up. Shockingly this coincided with a huge up trend in the Penguins fortune. Lets see if Sullivan remembers this.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Speaking of dudes who suck Reilly Smith has been a real wet fart after his hot start to the year. Really killing Malkin who imo is actually playing well despite getting little help from his linemates

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The one thing this Penguins team ought to be good at is the power play. It's amazing how bad they are at it.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
It’s a real shame that Dubas couldn’t at least get Rierden fired during that slide in November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Speaking of dudes who suck Reilly Smith has been a real wet fart after his hot start to the year. Really killing Malkin who imo is actually playing well despite getting little help from his linemates

So a perfect Zucker replacement.