Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Jack Trades posted:

I found both ground and space combat to be entertaining.
Infinitely more so than their Pathfinder games for example.

There's less of the pathfinder stuff but more importantly at least in Wrath for the last act I could put it on story mode and real time and just pretend it doesn't exist. You can't do that here.
I think it helps that at least for me the Pathfinder classes are way more interesting. I said it before but the class system here is boring and sucks.

VanillaGorilla posted:

If you're high enough iconoclast, you get a translation for all his verse (it's executed pretty comedically).

Only for his plans, when he's just talking to you my eyes immediately glaze over it.
(I am iconoclast so I've done that thankfully with most bits)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I finally managed to get some rep with the Navy, if you pick the nice guy option as the new leader of Foulstone (Tychon) he gives you a special commission that gives 5000 rep to all vendors. I knew there would be something special for picking the option without any obvious benefits!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

For me the combat was visceral enough that I never felt bored mowing down enemies with Argenta while she laughs like a machine gun toating psycho. That said, the oppressive power of Officers and Arch Militants make the other classes hard to justify. I don't need a Warrior/Vanguard to tank if everything is dead by the end of round 2. Operatives and Bounty Hunters are more mixed because they add utility in the form of armor and dodge reduction that makes your core classes better, but they completely fail to provide the stated Assassin/Bounty Hunter class fantasy of being the person really good at taking down big scary targets. Argenta and Ulfar do the job better.

I think Operatives need the closest look as to how to make their abilities feel impactful, and how to make their 'damage' builds competitive with an Arch Militant.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I feel like the effectiveness of more dakka means they should add some orks.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the lack of orks is criminal

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

bobtheconqueror posted:

I feel like the effectiveness of more dakka means they should add some orks.

I feel like the effectiveness of more dakka suggests that we's been sneaky gits all along.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zodium posted:

the lack of orks is criminal

This game is hopefully more of a proof of concept, to convince GW to license other ttrpgs to them. Creating the whole system from scratch was a massive labor, now that they have the system in place any and all Warhammer D10 games can be made, including fantasy ones.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I've been assured by my friends that nobody plays the fantasy ones

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why would you bother when it’s basically the exact same as every other fantasy setting that exists in the entire world that’s already been done to death for decades

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
My only awareness of Warhammer fantasy was from the MMO that came out like 2 decades ago or whatever

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
See, the Total War: Warhammer games are great, but they also like poo poo canned that whole setting for the Age of Sigmar stuff which is comparatively even more boring.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why would you bother when it’s basically the exact same as every other fantasy setting that exists in the entire world that’s already been done to death for decades

I mean for me it's more about the setting and stories that they can tell in it - I don't think any of the TTRPG systems for Warhammer are exactly lauded or well-known for their mechanics.

I've never actually played the wargaming side of things (although I have, paradoxically, painted figures).

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Click the center pillar of the rotating platform.

Thanks, don't know how I missed that! Hienrix is as pleased as he can be with the outcome and I finished up that particular Questline it seems.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Thanks, don't know how I missed that! Hienrix is as pleased as he can be with the outcome and I finished up that particular Questline it seems.

I was surprised there wasn't an iconoclast option to blow up the chaos stuff before he gets to use it. Him getting super mad over you destroying the chaos object by chucking it into the fusion reactor was one of my favorite bits.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Act 2 does require at least 3 Navigator points to plot a route to Kiava Gamma. You can do what was suggested and hope for a "Warp Reef" event, or you can save yourself the trouble and download ToyBox.

What were you supposed to do to get the navigatior points? I've only ever gotten them one at a time.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

VanillaGorilla posted:

I mean for me it's more about the setting and stories that they can tell in it

This is the most generic and boring part though. It’s a fantasy setting that by its very nature has virtually everything in common with just about any other fantasy setting you’d care to name.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Aramoro posted:

What were you supposed to do to get the navigatior points? I've only ever gotten them one at a time.

On the yellow paths, and maybe orange but those are riskier, you can get an event where the ship gets attacked by a creature in the warp. There's an option to trust the navigator that gets you some insight points. It's just a random chance whenever you take an unsafe path.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

bobtheconqueror posted:

See, the Total War: Warhammer games are great, but they also like poo poo canned that whole setting for the Age of Sigmar stuff which is comparatively even more boring.

They actually just brought back the Old World on tabletop last week with a new line and books etc

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

History Comes Inside! posted:

This is the most generic and boring part though. It’s a fantasy setting that by its very nature has virtually everything in common with just about any other fantasy setting you’d care to name.
It’s got a distinct tone at least. It came through well in Vermintide.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bobtheconqueror posted:

On the yellow paths, and maybe orange but those are riskier, you can get an event where the ship gets attacked by a creature in the warp. There's an option to trust the navigator that gets you some insight points. It's just a random chance whenever you take an unsafe path.

Is that really the only way to get points? That seems insane.

gently caress my game time I guess.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

RE: Space Marine powah Games Workshop once jokingly released "movie marines" rules to make them work in tabletop like how they're described in fluff. So basically take a space marine squad and make them able to fight a basic army. Fans have been keeping the rules updated ever since, I always just like to imagine that's actually how space marines are meant to be played.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nessus posted:

It’s got a distinct tone at least. It came through well in Vermintide.

Yeah, I don't think you can call WHF 'standard fantasy' after anything but a surface-level read. Sure, it's got elves and knights and dwarves and demons, but each side has its own flavour of how it does things. Take the Empire, for example- it's rare to see a Standard Fantasy Human Nation at its level of technological development and not degrade right into steampunk, nor have I seen Landsknecht in any other fantasy setting. The general grubbier tone of all the factions (yes, even both flavours of Elves) also sets it apart, I think.

Aramoro posted:

If you're on PC, just download the ToyBox mod. If not, maybe the subreddit has tips on what to do? I seem to recall this same discussion going on there about console RT.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I really don't like how Owlcat bait us with minor encounters that have so much potential to be fully fledged subquests or even subquest lines, but end with no real conclusion instead. I'm looking especially at Black Ship wreck and toxic bunker.

On the other hand, random events during Warp travels are peak of Owlcat writing. Especially when you try to go back to Imperium, it's some serious "Event Horizon" poo poo.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I am going without an officer or arch militant and I’m having a lot of fun in combat. Just finished Act 3 on daring and the final fight was awesome. Used myself, both aeldari, Abe, Idira and Pasqual. Abelard is an indestructible god of war, but just destructible enough to make it scary. I love it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

If you're on PC, just download the ToyBox mod. If not, maybe the subreddit has tips on what to do? I seem to recall this same discussion going on there about console RT.

I'm really trying not to ToyBox it . because that's not the game, but it's getting close if I cant rustle up some NAv points from somewhere.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

"Holy xenocide is its own reward!" haha hell yeah I hadn't heard that battle cry before

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Aramoro posted:

I'm really trying not to ToyBox it . because that's not the game, but it's getting close if I cant rustle up some NAv points from somewhere.

If you’re not wanting to toybox it then the best advice that can be given is to bounce back and forth over yellow or orange warp routes until you get one of the events that rewards navigator insight.

Edit: every once in a while I’ll get one that says something about a warp reef and I’m given the choice to avoid it or get close to it. If you choose to get close and pass a skill check it’ll give you like 6 insight.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I didn't want to use ToyBox either, but the game kind of forces you to after a certain amount of crashes and bugs where you don't get the equipment you should have gotten as a reward for an event or when it gives you a gun no one in your party can ever use for example.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

pentyne posted:

This game is hopefully more of a proof of concept, to convince GW to license other ttrpgs to them. Creating the whole system from scratch was a massive labor, now that they have the system in place any and all Warhammer D10 games can be made, including fantasy ones.

Judging by the quality of many other licensed 40K games, GW doesn't take that much convincing

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Finished up at around 60 hours. Goes down as my most....mixed game of 2023 (edging just a bit into 2024)?

I agree with the idea that this was a good "proof of concept" game. It needs a lot of work on systems, refining and expanding on the classes and....you know, a more cohesive narrative. It does come together right at the end, but it's still pretty flimsy. I think I'd probably have at least made the necron a more consistent thread across the acts.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Helion posted:

I am going without an officer or arch militant and I’m having a lot of fun in combat. Just finished Act 3 on daring and the final fight was awesome. Used myself, both aeldari, Abe, Idira and Pasqual. Abelard is an indestructible god of war, but just destructible enough to make it scary. I love it.
I think I'll do this for my second run

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Dox023 posted:

If you’re not wanting to toybox it then the best advice that can be given is to bounce back and forth over yellow or orange warp routes until you get one of the events that rewards navigator insight.

Edit: every once in a while I’ll get one that says something about a warp reef and I’m given the choice to avoid it or get close to it. If you choose to get close and pass a skill check it’ll give you like 6 insight.

I managed to nickel and dime enough Navigator points flying back and forth for ages on an orange route. What an amazing game system

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I wish I'd known this earlier but there are extremely good reasons for not selling all your cargo. Having a least one set of some things, especially holy gifts, is really important in the some of the storytime encounters.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Act 2 does require at least 3 Navigator points to plot a route to Kiava Gamma. You can do what was suggested and hope for a "Warp Reef" event, or you can save yourself the trouble and download ToyBox.

I’m 90% sure there’s a natural route to Kiama Gamma.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Picked up this auspex looking thing called the Requiemator that says it " +++ Can be equipped +++ " but in fact cannot be equipped by anyone in my party. Very cool. Very 40K.

So I'll probably ToyBox it. Edit: If I can figure out how.

Double Edit: Looks like I just had to restart the game for it to allow me to equip it.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 3, 2024

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Aramoro posted:

I managed to nickel and dime enough Navigator points flying back and forth for ages on an orange route. What an amazing game system

It's (for me) the biggest indicator that their testers were people who had played the game to death. They knew exactly how the points worked so never wasted them and it never came up "Hey, what happens if you get to this point and have spent them because you didn't realise how important they were"

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, I don't think you can call WHF 'standard fantasy' after anything but a surface-level read. Sure, it's got elves and knights and dwarves and demons, but each side has its own flavour of how it does things. Take the Empire, for example- it's rare to see a Standard Fantasy Human Nation at its level of technological development and not degrade right into steampunk, nor have I seen Landsknecht in any other fantasy setting. The general grubbier tone of all the factions (yes, even both flavours of Elves) also sets it apart, I think.

The Empire is just the holy roman empire. Which honestly is really loving rare in fantasy settings so I think it's pretty nice to explore at least. I enjoyed Age of Reckoning and always wondered why they never ever thought to do another RPG of any kind in the setting.
And you can do what you want now since the setting is dead, it's not like 40k where they've still got something going on.

The Lone Badger posted:

There is (basically, go left instead of right from the start) but for SURE there are 3 places you cannot visit without building a bridge.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The comments about the Act 3 skill checks were not exaggerating. Suddenly, a -50 skill check is considered the "easy" one.

It's worse for any characteristic checks because I don't think anyone would have 80-100 for a single characteristic by that point.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Just use toybox if you run out of navigator points. Treat it like a time saving loan and take some away later to balance it out. There isn't any gamer valour wasting your time spamming travel routes for an rng event.

May you be granted the emperor's peace if you're the kind of brain worms that refuses toybox because it's cheating, recommending quicksave/quickload before travelling instead, and then militantly posts "cheaters :rolleyes:" on the steam forums every time it comes up.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

cheating kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Aramoro posted:

The idea is that you don't make every path safe. Maybe your core routes between your colonies, but the vast majority are left as unsafe or dangerous. If you're trying to green every route, you'll run out extremely fast, but if you're conservative and only improving the routes you'll be jumping across many times (think the path from Footfall to Vheabos through Foulstone, Janus, and Dargonus) you'll have a surplus for most of the game.

The Lone Badger posted:

If there is, I didn't find it in two playthroughs. :shrug:

edit: It's a single player game, play it how you want. But there's no e-honour to be had in not using ToyBox. The game is buggy, and many of the systems are unintuitive or overtuned. It'll get better, but for now you're basically playing a Bethesda game and you should beat it into submission with every mod that strikes your fancy. Life is too short to spend an hour of it pinging back and forth looking for a random event in a single player game.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 3, 2024