Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Dark Place, The Mind Place, The First Place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just finished the AW1 remastered. Is Nightinggale's background ever explained, so he is just written by Alan to come in and he blames his partner's death on Alan? And Alan says the things in the story can't just be too conveninent for him but what happens to Nightingale is the definition of convenient.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I imagine Nightingale is a casualty of its development. Game was originally open world so I can see a game where Nightingale shows up a bunch with a different author name every time (instead of throwing out a dozen in every scene) and Alan always manages to escape every trap, somehow.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Tim Epic created the Saga of Alan Wake, too

But The Saga of Alan Wake Too: The Musical was made by Gabe Newell.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Kibayasu posted:

I imagine Nightingale is a casualty of its development. Game was originally open world so I can see a game where Nightingale shows up a bunch with a different author name every time (instead of throwing out a dozen in every scene) and Alan always manages to escape every trap, somehow.
You're probably right on a Doylist level, but here's my Watsonian guess: Breaker and Nightingale reflect Alan's struggle while writing the story. As he says, he was trying to write a happy ending, but the Darkness was in his head, twisting it, causing the genre to shift itself towards horror. In a story about a heroic writer who finds his missing wife, the police (representing the government, representing society itself) are a benevolent force. They believe the writer and assist his search. A horror story with the same plot would incorporate noir elements, turning society -- and therefore the government, and therefore the police -- against the protagonist, cutting him off from support and putting him on the run. So Alan introduces kindly Sheriff Breaker, and the Darkness twists it, bringing in cruel Agent Nightingale to pull jurisdiction and take over the investigation.

And then Nightingale gets some manuscript pages and learns that he's just a character in Wake's story, and every bad thing in his life is literally Wake's fault because he needed an angry, alcoholic FBI agent to act as nemesis, so he gave the agent a lovely backstory to justify his behavior. And that sends him really off the rails.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ulio posted:

Just finished the AW1 remastered. Is Nightinggale's background ever explained, so he is just written by Alan to come in and he blames his partner's death on Alan? And Alan says the things in the story can't just be too conveninent for him but what happens to Nightingale is the definition of convenient.

His background is gone into more detail in the Alan Wake Files book that was released around the same time as the first game, but the gist of it is that he had a partner that became obsessed with darkness, was perpetually trying to stay away from shadows, and was eventually "taken" (vaguely described in the book itself), Nightingale becomes an alcoholic after losing his partner, and begins having nightmares similar to Clay Stewart (the author of the book, and the person you see at the cabin in the very, very beginning of Alan Wake who is basically never really mentioned again) where there's a figure that looks similar to Alan Wake in it. His alcoholism, the loss of his partner, getting fired from his job at the FBI and his obsession over his nightmares causes him to become increasingly obsessed with finding Wake, who he blames for his partner's death. He also doesn't think any of it's supernatural, and believes the manuscript pages he's found are evidence that Wake himself is a killer.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
I love how Sam Lake, Sam Lake, Sam Lake, Alex Casey, Alex Casey, Alex Casey and Alex Casey are all separate and unique characters in this game. It's the best.

edit: CJacobs, where can we see your AW2 playthrough? It's not archived on Twitch or your YouTube.

Nerdlord Actual fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 3, 2024

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo I just played the musical part, it's so good!!!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

redreader posted:

Holy poo poo I just played the musical part, it's so good!!!

:yeah:

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
AND MAMMA GAVE ME A MAGIC CLICKEEEER

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nerdlord Actual posted:

I love how Sam Lake, Sam Lake, Sam Lake, Alex Casey, Alex Casey, Alex Casey and Alex Casey are all separate and unique characters in this game. It's the best.

edit: CJacobs, where can we see your AW2 playthrough? It's not archived on Twitch or your YouTube.

Hey thanks for asking. I've got a channel for stream vods now. I laughed, I cried, we analyzed game design. It was lots of fun.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Today in Control: I learned to fly from a TV, I want to get to something else that I think will teach me shield but there's a stupid red barrier in the way, and I found one of the thermoses from AW1 complete with a note calling Alan a Prime Candidate, which... yeah, that tracks.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Hey thanks for asking. I've got a channel for stream vods now. I laughed, I cried, we analyzed game design. It was lots of fun.

Loved the humming the tango and then

"HE'S JUST loving STANDING THERE!" :allears:

Watched through what you've got, can't wait to see your reaction to Rose and the Anderson reveal

Nerdlord Actual fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 3, 2024

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

You're probably right on a Doylist level, but here's my Watsonian guess: Breaker and Nightingale reflect Alan's struggle while writing the story. As he says, he was trying to write a happy ending, but the Darkness was in his head, twisting it, causing the genre to shift itself towards horror. In a story about a heroic writer who finds his missing wife, the police (representing the government, representing society itself) are a benevolent force. They believe the writer and assist his search. A horror story with the same plot would incorporate noir elements, turning society -- and therefore the government, and therefore the police -- against the protagonist, cutting him off from support and putting him on the run. So Alan introduces kindly Sheriff Breaker, and the Darkness twists it, bringing in cruel Agent Nightingale to pull jurisdiction and take over the investigation.

And then Nightingale gets some manuscript pages and learns that he's just a character in Wake's story, and every bad thing in his life is literally Wake's fault because he needed an angry, alcoholic FBI agent to act as nemesis, so he gave the agent a lovely backstory to justify his behavior. And that sends him really off the rails.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

His background is gone into more detail in the Alan Wake Files book that was released around the same time as the first game, but the gist of it is that he had a partner that became obsessed with darkness, was perpetually trying to stay away from shadows, and was eventually "taken" (vaguely described in the book itself), Nightingale becomes an alcoholic after losing his partner, and begins having nightmares similar to Clay Stewart (the author of the book, and the person you see at the cabin in the very, very beginning of Alan Wake who is basically never really mentioned again) where there's a figure that looks similar to Alan Wake in it. His alcoholism, the loss of his partner, getting fired from his job at the FBI and his obsession over his nightmares causes him to become increasingly obsessed with finding Wake, who he blames for his partner's death. He also doesn't think any of it's supernatural, and believes the manuscript pages he's found are evidence that Wake himself is a killer.

That's why I love this game, two completely different theories but they are both possible. Honestly with so many games getting adaptations, I would kill for Alan Wake TV show by a proper company.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i would not want a tv series unless it was entirely written and produced by sam lake himself because i guarantee it would miss the point otherwise

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CJacobs posted:

my namne is veikko alen

i'm trapped in the battle bus

It's not a car... It's a BUS

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Control has managed to annoy me on two fronts. First off, I can only have two gun forms equipped at one time -- but I can open the menu and swap which two any time I want. Why not just give me a goddamn weapon wheel, then? Why bury proper mode swapping in a few extra layers of menu? And second, holy poo poo are they stingy with the control points. Which matters tremendously, because every time I die, it sends me back to the last one I found, which is frequently halfway across the goddamn level. Yes, Control, I love to run through six completely empty rooms just to get back to what I'm doing. Almost as I love to run into a previously cleared room that's had enemies respawn, so now I get into a fight on my way back, where maybe I die again and go back to the control point to do the run again, especially if you spawn one of those bullshit Hiss Balls that gives everything health that regenerates so quickly that I can empty an entire clip into them and they're at full health before I reload. Love that, too! And I definitely can't get enough of how you also do it when I quit the game and come back later, so I basically have to play until I find a control point. What is this bullshit? It's like I'm playing a PS2 game and looking for save points.

I have found some more of the Alan Wake references, which I love. The FBC literally owns Night Springs, and they're using it to influence the collective unconcious! Which, combined with the fact that Alan was already on their radar as a Director candidate (I think -- the Control wiki says that it was the events of AW1 that made them flag him as a Prime Candidate, but I don't buy that they'd do that without ever directly observing him and also what good is a dude who's trapped in the Dark Place), it seems likely that they gave him the writing gig there as a way to give him his intitial exposure to the weird world, except it turned out to be his big break, and he got famous, and they had to abandon him and go hands-off because a big shot author can't disappear to head a shadowy government agency. Which, if that's what happened, I like that version quite a bit; it kinda turns Cauldron Lake into one big whoopsy on their part because they knew they had this latent parautilitarian bouncing around and haha oops he stumbled onto a major Threshold and reality got a bit wobbly. I also find it exactly the right kind of funny that after all the mysticism and mystery of AW/AN, here comes the FBC with just... a loving memo all "yeah we know exactly what happened, why it went down that way, and where Wake is". (I guess he's just sorta... neighbors with the Board? In a dimension where something a lot less nice lived, until he killed it?)

I hope Alan and Jesse get to share some screen time one day. I imagine they'd have a lot to tell each other.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Really can't wait for the FBC DLC

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CapnAndy posted:

Control has managed to annoy me on two fronts. First off, I can only have two gun forms equipped at one time -- but I can open the menu and swap which two any time I want. Why not just give me a goddamn weapon wheel, then? Why bury proper mode swapping in a few extra layers of menu? And second, holy poo poo are they stingy with the control points. Which matters tremendously, because every time I die, it sends me back to the last one I found, which is frequently halfway across the goddamn level. Yes, Control, I love to run through six completely empty rooms just to get back to what I'm doing. Almost as I love to run into a previously cleared room that's had enemies respawn, so now I get into a fight on my way back, where maybe I die again and go back to the control point to do the run again, especially if you spawn one of those bullshit Hiss Balls that gives everything health that regenerates so quickly that I can empty an entire clip into them and they're at full health before I reload. Love that, too! And I definitely can't get enough of how you also do it when I quit the game and come back later, so I basically have to play until I find a control point. What is this bullshit? It's like I'm playing a PS2 game and looking for save points.

I have found some more of the Alan Wake references, which I love. The FBC literally owns Night Springs, and they're using it to influence the collective unconcious! Which, combined with the fact that Alan was already on their radar as a Director candidate (I think -- the Control wiki says that it was the events of AW1 that made them flag him as a Prime Candidate, but I don't buy that they'd do that without ever directly observing him and also what good is a dude who's trapped in the Dark Place), it seems likely that they gave him the writing gig there as a way to give him his intitial exposure to the weird world, except it turned out to be his big break, and he got famous, and they had to abandon him and go hands-off because a big shot author can't disappear to head a shadowy government agency. Which, if that's what happened, I like that version quite a bit; it kinda turns Cauldron Lake into one big whoopsy on their part because they knew they had this latent parautilitarian bouncing around and haha oops he stumbled onto a major Threshold and reality got a bit wobbly. I also find it exactly the right kind of funny that after all the mysticism and mystery of AW/AN, here comes the FBC with just... a loving memo all "yeah we know exactly what happened, why it went down that way, and where Wake is". (I guess he's just sorta... neighbors with the Board? In a dimension where something a lot less nice lived, until he killed it?)

I hope Alan and Jesse get to share some screen time one day. I imagine they'd have a lot to tell each other.
There is some indication that Alan may have created or helped to create the FBC, and he may have been involved in the whole Hiss thing while in the Dark Place, potentially.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Tried googling this but wasn't able to find a definitive answer... can anyone here help answer this for me?

I am trying to get the platinum trophy, and I missed one of the collectibles in my first playthrough (specifically the "Adventure Tours" Koskela brothers commercial in Return 1). Does anyone know if your save file carries collectibles from your NG run into NG+? In other words, if I start NG+ to grab the commercial, will the trophy pop, or do I have to play through all of NG+ to watch all 6 commercials again?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I remember being basically a lone voice about it in the control thread when it came out, but I thought control was way too hard. I just have been playing it wrong or something. AW2 on normal can be hard sometimes (e.g. I died 4x in a row right after Alan got the shotgun) but it's mostly fine. I can't remember if control has difficulty settings? If I play it again I'm probably choosing easy. Like in control, every time I get an alert for a timed event, I either die getting there or I die at the event.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Control now has amazing difficulty settings that let you customize basically everything on a spectrum from instant death to undying god

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

redreader posted:

I remember being basically a lone voice about it in the control thread when it came out, but I thought control was way too hard. I just have been playing it wrong or something. AW2 on normal can be hard sometimes (e.g. I died 4x in a row right after Alan got the shotgun) but it's mostly fine. I can't remember if control has difficulty settings? If I play it again I'm probably choosing easy. Like in control, every time I get an alert for a timed event, I either die getting there or I die at the event.

It's great, they added accessibility settings so you can fiddle with individual difficulty components. You can even turn on one-shot kills for enemies if you can't be bothered with a particular boss or something. Tune player damage down a bit, and it plays so much better for me. Every game should have that feature.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
in control the biggest accessibility feature is energy recovery multiplier because being a flying infinite object chucker is the only way to play

i also use enhanced aim assisst (controller), ammo recovery mutiplier at 10, and immortality because i like the sense of urgency from taking damage but i really just hate having to reset from actually dying

site fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 5, 2024

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah Control was petty difficult so you're not alone. Every game should have the options it added. Just add in God mode from the start along with other sliders.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I felt like the early game was more difficult than the late game

That first major boss fight was more difficult than the later ones IMO

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just started AW2 after finishing the Remaster of 1. drat it's pretty jarring to see Sam Lake and someone else's voice come out. I know this was the case in Max Payne but his face wasn't this detailed back then and I also hadn't heard his real voice before...

Still early but the visuals are mind blowing, Control had some of the best effects, lightning and ray tracing in a game. This game's performance goes down way too much on a 3090 with RT on so I just left it off. Dissapointed but the visuals/tone is still amazing.

I loved the fact that they didn't play around with if there is any supernatural elements like they usually do in horror games, this is a sequel, the player already knows so it's nice to see the characters finding out within 20-30 minutes.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 5, 2024

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

redreader posted:

It's very mod-dependent, is what I've been learning. The enemies level up and gun upgrades are insanely expensive. I've found 1 (one) decent +damage mod and I put it into Grip and immediately noticed fights becoming fair again. So I've got one gun that works and four that tickle my enemies.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Max out launch skill tree immediately and get the infinite grip ammo mod by finding the fire TV's and throwing them into the furnace

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ABC (always be catapulting) is definitely the right way to play, but you do need a gun to use in between times. I've never run across the infinite ammo mod though, that would be incredible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, the mod system sucks in Control but you should very much it in order to get the advantage they expect. Behind the scenes the numbers are very small so 10% damage or one extra pellet makes a huge difference.

Also, catapult to stun, finish off with gun. Remember, the one-two punch.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, the mod system sucks in Control but you should very much it in order to get the advantage they expect. Behind the scenes the numbers are very small so 10% damage or one extra pellet makes a huge difference.

Also, catapult to stun, finish off with gun. Remember, the one-two punch.
Those flying fuckers who dodge things thrown at them are the worst :mad:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

100%

If I died in a big fight, 99% of the time it was because one of those assholes did it

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CapnAndy posted:

plink at them first with a gun, they always dodge the first projectile shot at them regardless of what type of projectile. Then slam a rock, another enemy or an office chair into their face. Very satisfying.

My personal favorite weapon was the rocket launcher, especially for the flyers. Fire a rocket to make them dodge, grab the rocket with launch and slam it into the back of the stupid idiot who thought he just dodged it. Launch damage AND a rocket explosion. :getin:

Not a personal fan of basic Grip or the infinite ammo mod, the p sure the infinite ammo mod required hitting headshots to keep the ammo. Been a while tho.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
CONTROL TALK: I wish you could keep the possessed guys forever. Just an army of 70 or 80 dudes running around the building with you

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My favourite thing is successfully siezing an orb because that makes you immortal until it wears off.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I think I made control harder for myself by going for health first, which made sense to me because I was dying a lot.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah my first blind playthrough of control i was spreading early points into health, energy, melee, and launch and i was pretty miserable

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean energy and launch are very good things to spend points on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I never had to adjust the Control difficulty until the final Alan Wake DLC boss when I said gently caress it and turned on one shot kill.