Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

feelin really good about 2024 so far.

its better than 2025 though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The worst year in recorded history so far.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
on average it’s ok. worse than 2023 but better than 2025 will be

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

i had this on my bingo card easily

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

season 3 episode 3 of madame secretary is lookin good so far a bunch of hip young environmentalists are arrested for trespassing on an atoll china is destroying so they can build a naval base on it and evilly claim sovereignty over the south china sea

the environmentalist angle is a new one to me did that used to be more common this aired on tv in late 2016

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Some Guy TT posted:

season 3 episode 3 of madame secretary is lookin good so far a bunch of hip young environmentalists are arrested for trespassing on an atoll china is destroying so they can build a naval base on it and evilly claim sovereignty over the south china sea

the environmentalist angle is a new one to me did that used to be more common this aired on tv in late 2016

a lot of reports and hand wringing about China dynamiting the coral reefs etc etc

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I think things are getting better not worse because I am aware of places outside the west.

fake edit: OK some guy is back to posting about hillary clinton fanfic so maybe you doomers are right.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

theres also a subplot about china trying to humiliate us by stealing our pandas from the national zoo like literally steal noone seems to be aware of the leasing agreement and act as if its existence is the craziest thing theyve ever heard and to spare no expense in saving the pandas

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The American propaganda outlets have been in full force this week warning about the population decline in China:

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/china-birth-rates-plunge-12272023160425.html

quote:

Chinese censors deleted an article on Wednesday that reportedly leaked full-year population figures for 2023, revealing a plummeting birth rate despite ongoing efforts by the ruling party to encourage people to have families.

While official figures won't be confirmed until Jan. 17, the Mother and Infant Daily news service said 7.88 million babies were born across China 2023, 1.68 million fewer than in 2022.

Given that 11 million people died this year, China's population has therefore fallen by 3.12 million, the population of a medium-sized Chinese city, the report said, citing the City Data account on Baidu's Tieba forum site.

The City Data post had been deleted by Wednesday evening local time, suggesting that the topic is a highly sensitive one for the ruling Chinese Communist Party, which is keen to sing the praises of the economy in a bid to boost people's confidence in the future.

However, the reported figures were in line with earlier estimates, including one by Peking University School of Medicine scholar Qiao Jie, who told a forum in August that the number of newborns has plummeted by 40% over the past five years.

"The number of births in 2023 is expected to range from 7-8 million," Qiao was quoted as saying by the China Business News.

The journal China Philanthropist predicted in May that new births this year would come in under the 8 million mark, extrapolating figures that were available at the time.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
who tf cares. the richest nation on earth can attract whatever immigrants it wants if its really looking at a labor shortage

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Trabisnikof posted:

The American propaganda outlets have been in full force this week warning about the population decline in China:

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/china-birth-rates-plunge-12272023160425.html

quote:

Given that 11 million people died this year, China's population has therefore fallen by 3.12 million, the population of a medium-sized Chinese city, the report said, citing the City Data account on Baidu's Tieba forum site.

vaxxed?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The guy who stabbed Lee Jae-Myeong yesterday was a 67yr old real estate broker. Living in Asan, just south of Camp Humphreys. Probably blames him and Moon for the poo poo real estate market atm.

https://www.hani.co.kr/arti/area/yeongnam/1122721.html

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

actually it is the fault of the lockdowns! they made people too sad and low energy to gently caress

quote:

A Chinese expert who declined to be named for fear of reprisals told Radio Free Asia that the leaked figures likely signal a turning point in the aging of the population, and blamed the three years of stringent zero-COVID policies under Xi.

"The official statistics for negative population growth in 2023 are the direct result of three years of pandemic restrictions and the zero-COVID policy, which dampened people's desire to have children," the expert said.

"Now, the aging of society is truly accelerating, and birth rates can't keep up with [that].”

The researcher said people have no energy left after three years of zero-COVID policies.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh my God, they discovered an issue the Chinese government actually cares about

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

who tf cares. the richest nation on earth can attract whatever immigrants it wants if its really looking at a labor shortage

Remembering when the China thread argued it couldn't because the Chinese are all racists

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
how many characters do the 14 words work out to?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

actually it is the fault of the lockdowns! they made people too sad and low energy to gently caress

lockdowns killed my dick

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm optimistic about 2024, it's just frontloading all the year's misery in the first day or two and past this it's gonna be the best year ever

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

The narrative seems to be now that "Chinese government blames women for not having babies and will begin forced birth policies".

Where that comes from is a mystery, but its China so clearly they are going to create baby factories for their slave population.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
Sorry if this has already been answered, but is there a short read anywhere that crisply summarizes where Marxist ideas fit (if anywhere) in Chinese state's planning and actions? I realize that this must be a very naive question.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Weka posted:

I think things are getting better not worse because I am aware of places outside the west.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Strange portent getting hit with an earthquake on the first day of the year.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Sorry if this has already been answered, but is there a short read anywhere that crisply summarizes where Marxist ideas fit (if anywhere) in Chinese state's planning and actions? I realize that this must be a very naive question.

https://redsails.org/losurdo-on-china/

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tamamo has escaped

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

there is also xi's works but those are neither crisp or concise lol

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Declining birthrates are pretty much a worldwide phenomenon and way under replacement fertility is endemic to the region, I dunno why people always insist on looking at it through a national lense. Oppressive authoritarian China and freedom loving democratic Japan have the same 'problem'(with Korea and Taiwan being even 'worse'). The oecd average is getting down near one and a half. Whatever marginal policies governments have just isn't very important in people's willingness and desire to have kids compared to huge sweeping forces like urbanization, contraceptives, rising educational attainment etc

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Telluric Whistler posted:

The narrative seems to be now that "Chinese government blames women for not having babies and will begin forced birth policies".

Where that comes from is a mystery, but its China so clearly they are going to create baby factories for their slave population.

they're returning to their fascist communist roots to seize the means of reproduction

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

joe football posted:

Declining birthrates are pretty much a worldwide phenomenon and way under replacement fertility is endemic to the region, I dunno why people always insist on looking at it through a national lense. Oppressive authoritarian China and freedom loving democratic Japan have the same 'problem'(with Korea and Taiwan being even 'worse'). The oecd average is getting down near one and a half. Whatever marginal policies governments have just isn't very important in people's willingness and desire to have kids compared to huge sweeping forces like urbanization, contraceptives, rising educational attainment etc

because western libs secretly believe in great replacement theory so they project it onto their enemies like all their other libidinal fears

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
jordan peterson tried to warn us about the chinese cum milkers but we all mocked him

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

demographics is destiny is the other side of the coin to the great replacement theory

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

invade taiwan -> suffer millions of casualties -> harvest that precious sperm

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

because western libs secretly believe in great replacement theory so they project it onto their enemies like all their other libidinal fears

there's a local cycling/urbanist account I follow that, when encountering a news report saying that the Philippine fertility rate had gone from 3.5 in 2013, to 2.2 in 2022, posted:

quote:

An underdiscussed crisis in the making. For a country whose demography is touted as its strongest economic trait, this should be especially concerning.

I found it weird not only because of what you mentioned as an underlying sentiment, but also because the bog-standard scratch-a-liberal take is that it's overpopulation that's keeping the Philippines poor and underdeveloped.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

crepeface posted:

bedpan posted:

demographics is destiny is the other side of the coin to the great replacement theory

Like with a lot of things, the trick is that western liberals believe literally all the same things that fascists do, they just take different conclusions from them.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

invade taiwan -> suffer millions of casualties -> harvest that precious sperm

oh suddenly general rippers motivation in dr strangelove became a lot more comprehensible

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Low birth rate happened to literally every industrialized country. Like 100%. I just haven't come across a theory that predicts what will happen afterward.

Maybe the rest of the world like India and Latin America will take turns to industrialize one by one.

Maybe industrialization will split into high and end tiers. You have the countries that make robots, and countries that buy robots to manufacture things themselves. Maybe we will finally have loving lower work hour, slightly lowered.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

from what r guy and my inlaw has said, its not terribly difficult to go move to work in china, even indefinitely. its harder to become a citizen but thats not such an important goal when you arent evading racist american laws

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Maybe industrialization will split into high and end tiers. You have the countries that make robots, and countries that buy robots to manufacture things themselves. Maybe we will finally have loving lower work hour, slightly lowered.

this is already a thing: when people talk about how America still does a lot of manufacturing, a closer examination will reveal that a lot of it is very-high-end manufacturing, with the lower tiers down going to its various neo-colonies (as was the original intent of the post-Bretton Woods global order)

[of course, China throws a spanner into the works, since it's covering the entire gamut]

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Actually using labour saving technology to save labour rather than turn workplaces into all-day cabarets for the entertainment of middle managers is utterly unthinkable for capitalism brain, but nonetheless it's eventually coming.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
US moved highend semiconductors to Taiwan and S Korea though. Intel only fab 10nm chips. They didn't want to pay for the cost of highend manufacturing engineers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

crepeface posted:

Isn't great replacement theory broadly true in the American context, just without the part about it being a malicious scheme by cultural marxists to destroy the wasp race or whatever? Like both parties don't really want or try to stop immigration and it's the only thing keeping America from demographic decline?