Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Count Roland posted:

Yea yea yea.

I've basically given up on the US but I hope India's opposition gets it's rear end in gear to at least challenge Modi for once.

Election is almost a year away, but it's already over? I don't even know which direction you think it's over in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The real truth is that english is a baby language for dum dums.

I'm sorry, I don't understand you because you didn't specify which gender the baby is.

Grammatical gender is just a useless remnant of unnecessarily complex grammar back when Proto-Indo-European was spoken. I think we can all give thanks to the Vikings for having fixed all that garbage a while ago. I don't think anyone is seriously making the argument that English is not fit for complex, scientific usage because the word flask is not marked by a gendered prefix or suffix.

Is Tok Pisin not a language because it began as a baby language for dum dums (slaves)?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

If all words have to have a gender then it's a property of a word, and an irrelevant property outside of cases where you use it to separate homonyms/homophones.

When instead you could just... not have homonyms/phones.
Can't believe the mod allow this homophobia.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

I do agree that the things that make a language less functional as a communication tool can also be the things that make it fun to use, but if you want to make an argument for functionality then I still think genders are a bad way to do it. It'd be like recording the colour of every license plate on the rationale that if there's a duplicate number then maybe the plate will be a different colour.

In this case the design of license plates was developed with color as one of the key factors in identification, and now somebody is asking to make all the license plates yellow because making them in multiple colors is wasteful and it doesn't matter if it's contrary to the whole system.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

In order to get the maximum number of meanings per word, we clearly need to combine grammatical genders with that whole tonal thing they have going on in China.

So the same word, with the same gender, will have vastly different meanings when its various syllables are each spoken with, say, a flat inflection vs. a low falling vs. a mid-rising glottalized. :shepicide:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm going back to pointing and grunting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

In order to get the maximum number of meanings per word, we clearly need to combine grammatical genders with that whole tonal thing they have going on in China.

So the same word, with the same gender, will have vastly different meanings when its various syllables are each spoken with, say, a flat inflection vs. a low falling vs. a mid-rising glottalized. :shepicide:

If you're good at a language you can communicate entirely in tonal grunts.

E: ^ :hmmyes:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Darkest Auer posted:

I'm sorry, I don't understand you because you didn't specify which gender the baby is.

Grammatical gender is just a useless remnant of unnecessarily complex grammar back when Proto-Indo-European was spoken. I think we can all give thanks to the Vikings for having fixed all that garbage a while ago. I don't think anyone is seriously making the argument that English is not fit for complex, scientific usage because the word flask is not marked by a gendered prefix or suffix.

Is Tok Pisin not a language because it began as a baby language for dum dums (slaves)?

Umm, the Vikings didn't fix grammatical gender, most of Scandinavia still has it. Also if you want a perfectly efficient language, go learn C# or some neo esperanto poo poo, because all human languages have dumb poo poo as baggage. English can't even do negation without introducing a dummy verb.

And Tol Pisin, the obviously superior language, has hella pronouns. First person exclusive dual, yeah, that's cool. Actually it's pretty cool, it means "me and one other person who is not you"

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

BonHair posted:

Umm, the Vikings didn't fix grammatical gender, most of Scandinavia still has it.

I think they're referring to the theory that the introduction of Norse (and then later, Norman French) into England was what caused English to lose grammatical gender, as the two languages were just barely on the edge of mutual intelligibility while completely disagreeing on the genders of basic nouns, so speakers in Northern England gradually homogenised into dropping grammatical gender altogether. That then spread into southern England which found it a useful strategy for dealing with the loanwords coming in from Norman French.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
english should go back to law french and make that the standard

quote:

Richardson Chief Justice de Common Banc al assises de Salisbury in Summer 1631 fuit assault per prisoner la condemne pur felony, que puis son condemnation ject un brickbat a le dit justice, que narrowly mist, et pur ceo immediately fuit indictment drawn per Noy envers le prisoner et son dexter manus ampute et fix al gibbet, sur que luy mesme immediatement change in presence de Court.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mister Olympus posted:

1) No
2) Ew

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm going to ject a brickbat at this guy's head

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Darkest Auer posted:

So you’re in favour of dropping plurals i take it? And the extreme over usage of worthless “do” everywhere. And it’s fuckin dumb that we use cases, but only sometimes, instead of a smart language like russian. No more me or my or mine or myself, it all makes sense if we just say I. Beep boop.

Map, electoral, unrelated:

81% baby, freedom rings

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 2, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So you’re in favour of dropping plurals i take it?
We manage it with deer, fish, sheep, cannon, grapefruit, hovercraft...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And the extreme over usage of worthless “do” everywhere.
And now I have Baby Shark in my head.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Plurals are fine if you keep it to "add s to the end to indicate more than 1"

But yeah you could make it optional, if you use other words in the sentence to indicate multiples you can ignore the plural, or use the plural and drop the other words.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Mister Olympus posted:

Die.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Guavanaut posted:

We manage it with deer, fish, sheep, cannon, grapefruit, hovercraft...

And now I have Baby Shark in my head.

Hoverscraft

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I have had many grapesfruit, but this is the finest grapefruit I've had.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Svifflaugin mín er full af álum.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OwlFancier posted:

Plurals are fine if you keep it to "add s to the end to indicate more than 1"

But yeah you could make it optional, if you use other words in the sentence to indicate multiples you can ignore the plural, or use the plural and drop the other words.

There are languages that don’t use plurals at all, without needing other words. Why are plurals necessary but gender and cases are too complicated? Break free from the anglosphere, my gender-neutral dude *takes massive bong rip*

I will make an argument for complicated grammar: russian is far more fun and expressive to write in, especially poetry, because three genders and numerous cases make for a lot more fuckery you can do to a sentence while still making sense. In you word strict gently caress english lose meaning as all order or is.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 3, 2024

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Mister Olympus posted:

i think im having a stroke

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And the extreme over usage of worthless “do” everywhere.

as an ESL, please do

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There are languages that don’t use plurals at all, without needing other words. Why are plurals necessary but gender and cases are too complicated? Break free from the anglosphere, my gender-neutral dude *takes massive bong rip*

I will make an argument for complicated grammar: russian is far more fun and expressive to write in, especially poetry, because three genders and numerous cases make for a lot more fuckery you can do to a sentence while still making sense. In you word strict gently caress english lose meaning as all order or is.

I want you to know that until that last sentence I bore no ill will towards the Russian language

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Meanwhile, you had me at "In you word strict gently caress english".

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
You can try to convince about the supposed superior qualities of the english language again when y'all fix the stupid spelling system. Why is the "ear" in hear, heard and heart pronounced differently when it's the part after it that changed?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Le couch? What the hell is le couch?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Minenfeld! posted:

Le couch? What the hell is le couch?

Burgendy?

Edit: wow, this has some fascinating stuff. "passer dequoi around"?

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 3, 2024

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Frionnel posted:

You can try to convince about the supposed superior qualities of the english language again when y'all fix the stupid spelling system. Why is the "ear" in hear, heard and heart pronounced differently when it's the part after it that changed?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

English spelling is absolutely hosed yes and you will hear no argument to the contrary from me.

https://ncf.idallen.com/english.html

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This is gold, even though its probably a joke.

For those who don't know the ad is written in Chiac.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

OddObserver posted:

Burgendy?

Edit: wow, this has some fascinating stuff. "passer dequoi around"?

If you know what I mean...

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

This poem taught me, a native English speaker, a whole lot more about our linguistic fuckery. Ague not sounding like Plague, and being a whole syllable longer, had me shook.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think some of it doesn't even work in english depending on your region.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah in American English that poem is a bit of a mess

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It struggles a bit in my part of the UK but some of that could also be the age, I assume stuff has drifted a bit.

And also I don't imagine there are many people who would know how to pronounce "studding-sail"

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The worst is that it’s largely down to bad luck, English went through a monumental change in pronunciation patterns known as the Great Vowel Shift starting pretty much right as the printing press was first coming into use, and then continuing and developing for a couple of centuries afterward. So spelling got standardised exactly in time for all our pronunciations to shift and make the standard spellings no longer fit. If the vowel shift had been just a century earlier, or not happened at all, English orthography would match its pronunciations much more closely.

Or…at least, it would match the pronunciations of whichever prestige dialect was chosen to be the baseline. Which is the problem with standardising English spelling today—you’d have to decide who is right. My accent distinguishes horse and hoarse, where and were, uses different vowels for Mary marry and merry, has vowel length rules that lead to distinctions between crude and crewed and knead and kneed, but pronounces cot and caught identically. A lot of spelling reforms based on, say, Estuary English or General American would merge those pairs and spell them the same. But even between those two they’d disagree on some.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

OwlFancier posted:

It struggles a bit in my part of the UK but some of that could also be the age, I assume stuff has drifted a bit.

And also I don't imagine there are many people who would know how to pronounce "studding-sail"

See also: gunwale and forecastle. Nautical terminology seems to have a few of those.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've been trying to use "yous" more and more. I know it's considered improper language and uncouth but it's not my fuckin problem that English doesn't have a nice second person plural

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Every second person plural is considered not just wrong, but actively bad. However, a second person plural is something we need in daily speech. How can these two things be reconciled??