Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Bregor posted:

Starlin Castro auto-reply engage

What's the story behind this incredible gif I have somehow never seen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bandire posted:

What's the story behind this incredible gif I have somehow never seen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2CTBVjEtbk

First play of the vid, heh. Castro bobbled a double play ball, then just stood there with the ball after collecting it and allowed another run to score

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I am obligated to mention that I was at this game and it was very funny to watch happen live

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ScottyJSno posted:

Watching Jack reacher season 2.

Somebody used the alias Starlin Castro to get a hotel room.

An CIA analyst or something says that that was a a guy who played for the Yankees.

I got so angry at cubs erasure that I had to stop watching.

I am still laughing at the Yankees fans in this thread who loving hated on Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo and got stuck with each of them.
It will never not be funny to me.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tadashi posted:

I am still laughing at the Yankees fans in this thread who loving hated on Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo and got stuck with each of them.

Who the hell is out here hating Rizzo?

Was it me? I've Cold Taken myself at least twice already.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Starlin Castro used to be my guy :(

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I have no problem with Rizzo but Starlin Castro was trash

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Starlin Castro had 1617 hits before he turned 30, and 105 after

What a career arc

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

Starlin Castro had 1617 hits before he turned 30, and 105 after

What a career arc

It was his hits off the field that were a lot more concerning

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nodoze posted:

I have no problem with Rizzo but Starlin Castro was trash

Castro was fun to watch even if he was maddeningly streaky.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It was his hits off the field that were a lot more concerning

:eyepop:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

tadashi posted:

I hated on castro because he sucked. I only hated on Rizzo in comparison to Freddie Freeman who they should've went after instead.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 2, 2024

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Who the hell is out here hating Rizzo?

Was it me? I've Cold Taken myself at least twice already.

Somebody called Rizzo a platoon bat after he signed his extension with the Cubs.
I actually think his contract with the Yankees is just fine. Hindsight is 20/20 but they paid him like a 2nd tier free agent and that's the value their getting if he can just bounce back into the 2 WAR range this year. Free agents are usually old and expensive and you just hope they leave before they become trash.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
More to the point the Yankees let Rizzo play for months after he felt the effects of post-concussion syndrome and that’s why he was rear end last season. A healthy Rizzo is still perfectly cromulent at 1B.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bregor posted:

More to the point the Yankees let Rizzo play for months after he felt the effects of post-concussion syndrome and that’s why he was rear end last season. A healthy Rizzo is still perfectly cromulent at 1B.

The rizzo FA signing was OK but he was the poverty move they did and they never even tried for Freddie Freeman who's contract looks like an insane bargain a year later.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It’s ok the Yankees didn’t try to sign him because Freeman would have come home to SoCal regardless and we’d just get another round of “this guy can’t handle the pressure and bright lights of New Yawk da greatest city in da woild”

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Inspector_666 posted:

Castro was fun to watch even if he was maddeningly streaky.

What the hell Castro were you watching cause it wasn't Starlin

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Luigi Thirty posted:

I meant the part where they also detained the accuser for 48 hours? I don't think they do that here. Anyway, we'll know exactly what they're charging him with on Wednesday, I guess.

Yeah, odd that the original article mentions the mother of the girl was detained. You'd think all the necessary interviews with the purported victim & their family would have been done before they went to arraign Franco.

I think the translated articles might be conflating the mother being temporarily detained with Franco's 48-hour detainment, during which a judge is petitioned to grant coercive measures like being remanded to jail, house arrest, whatever.

Anyways the original article ends with a reminder that the accusation is 22yo Wander engaged in sexual acts with a 15-year-old girl. :guillotine:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Nodoze posted:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The investigation might have unearthed evidence that the mother of the victim also committed a crime of some sort by cooperating/conspiring with/blackmailing Franco.

That’s my assumption from reading that she was also detained but maybe it’s a translation issue.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

bawfuls posted:

The investigation might have unearthed evidence that the mother of the victim also committed a crime of some sort by cooperating/conspiring with/blackmailing Franco. .

Back when this poo poo all dropped people were speculating that it came to light due to a failed extortion attempt (he hosed a 15 year old, the mother found out and demanded a big check) but it was all weird Instagram rumor bullshit. He definitely is a serial predator from what’s come out since and absolutely needs to go away.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

I didn't know Damien Sandow played for the Cubs

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Nodoze posted:

Castro was actually pretty solid with the Yankees.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Castro was actually pretty solid with the Yankees.

Kinda? 3.2 bWAR, 99 OPS+, 98 wRC+, and negative dWAR (the early days of OAA seemed to love him though?) over two seasons in NYC. You're not gonna get tossed overboard with those kind of numbers but it's also nothing to get excited about whatsoever.

Missing from this .gif is Rizzo's reaction in which he looks extremely flustered and like he wants to ask the umps to pause the game so he can go over and throttle Castro, lol.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Castro antics are just poverty Andrus antics :colbert:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Are the Cubs going to do anything this offseason? Bellinger would be great but that's still basically the same team you threw out last year that couldn't make the playoffs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

Are the Cubs going to do anything this offseason? Bellinger would be great but that's still basically the same team you threw out last year that couldn't make the playoffs.

It'd be worse because they're also down Stroman who prior to his late season meltdown was a solid ace for them.

Cubs legit need to add 1-2 SP's who aren't just backend filler guys, 2-3 pen arms that raise the bar from Jose Cuas, and 1-2 bats. Some of that might come internally, but zero FA signings so far and Tom talking about how he's "comfortable" with the level of spending last year lead me to believe they're just going to mostly run it back and hope the farm has a bunch of successful graduations.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

There are still a buttload of free agents left to sign and a lot of time left to sign them. Bellinger probably isn't going to sign until right before spring training.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Niwrad posted:

They went out and GOT their guy in Colten Brewer

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I'm also a little confused with what Preller is doing. Heyman says the Padres are close to signing Woo Suk Go as their closer. I thought Yuki Matsui was supposed to close? They need outfielders, not relievers...

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'm also a little confused with what Preller is doing. Heyman says the Padres are close to signing Woo Suk Go as their closer. I thought Yuki Matsui was supposed to close? They need outfielders, not relievers...

Having three guys who can close is a good thing, and something the Padres probably value more after Hader refused to pitch in the eighth.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

There are still a buttload of free agents left to sign and a lot of time left to sign them. Bellinger probably isn't going to sign until right before spring training.

Unless he drops his asking price dramatically or he inexplicably agrees to some kind of 2-3 year high AAV deal with opt-outs ala Stroman, I just don't see the Cubs and Bellinger lining up. They'll primarily be viewing Cody as a 1B long term given PCA is MLB-ready or near MLB-ready and his whole deal is a superlative glove, and I doubt the Cubs are interesting in making Bellinger a higher paid 1B than Freddie Freeman. Hoskins makes more sense in the short term but again I think the Cubs are reticent pay a lot of money long term on a 1B when they have like four sluggers who could play the position all OPS'ing >.850 in AA or higher right now.

It's a shame because Cody rules and I'd love to have him back.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

I am obligated to mention that I was at this game and it was very funny to watch happen live

That's pretty high up there

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/ShiDavidi/status/1742569384827060447

Seems bad!!!

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Looking forward to another 3rd place finish in the East.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They’re not even going to do a ‘we tried’ on Chapman? It’s bizarre to me that they were in on Ohtani and Yamamoto but are not going to try and fill their obvious lineup hole at 3rd

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
Serious "we tried nothing and we're out of ideas" energy

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Look they spent 30 million on Chad Green, Kiermaier and IKF. What more could you want!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The "We're going to get Ohtani" to "IKF is starting at 3B" suicide roller coaster curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Look they spent 30 million on Chad Green, Kiermaier and IKF. What more could you want!!!

hey atvleast they signed major league player(s)