Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I feel really bad that my kid doesn't go to bed until 9-10 but there's literally no way to get her to go to bed earlier because her daycare let's them nap from 1-3. Until they drop napping (not even sure when that is) or she stops napping at school I just think she's gonna keep going to sleep at that time. We've done the whole put her in bed early thing, doesn't matter she's still up and crazy until between 9-10.

No I don't have a life at all right now why do you ask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
What is this "a life"???

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
We recently ran an experiment on how long 7 yo would stay up reading in bed without explicitly being told to lights out and go to sleep. At 2:30 am he wandered out, asked "is this the night I don't have bedtime?" and sat down on the couch to watch the movie that was playing. There will be no additional experiments.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

Renegret posted:

I try not to be too judgemental on other parents since I know personally there's a lot I'm unhappy with our own routines that I have no idea how to fix, but I am left wondering the series of events that occurred which lead up to that.

That being said, I feel like 2am chicken nuggets is the end result of "if you don't eat what's on your plate then you get no dinner" and is why we're shoving string cheese on our kid a half hour before we start bedtime.

Or just have the courage of your convictions and send the kid to bed with no food. Kids learn real fast to do what you say if you are unflinching in your punishment. When you back down at the last minute you let them know that the real process is to be a huge shithead prior to getting what they want.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

The only parenting strategy I feel qualified to give is "Whatever gets you through the day". Kids are so crazy, my experience with my kid has been so different from my friends' that what works with my kids doesn't work for theirs and vice versa.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My boyfriend’s parents came to town this week to visit and meet my kids. The first day, the kids were so full of new-people energy, they were literally running back and forth through the house screaming, and my daughter did so much jumping and bouncing around that she threw up. The second day, we brought the kids to their hotel so they could go swimming in the pool. My son got a mouth full of chlorine water and threw up in the pool. I managed to scoop out most of the noodles that were floating on the surface. Then we all got in the hot tub, and after we had all gotten out, my daughter loudly and proudly exclaimed, “I peed in the hot tub!”

That’s way too many body fluids for a good first impression.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Anyone got any experience with using Miralax for a constipated 1yr old?

Homie gets gnarly constipation every couple of days and to fix it involves me doing these leg movements just to get him to push it out. He’s not really drinking water right now just his formula.

I feel like him dealing with this every couple weeks is hurting him and I want to help him somehow. I’m going to pick up some prune juice maybe to help but my wife only got the Miralax for now.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We used mirilax under our pediatrician's guidance starting around 18 months, between 1/4 and 1/2 cap once a day.

It's fine. Nothing special to really talk about, it makes the poop come out easier. It acts more like a fiber supplement than a laxative, so no explosive or liquidy diarrhea like that, and takes 2-3 days of daily use to start seeing results. I recommend weening off slowly instead of going cold turkey when it's time to stop since kids can get too used to the easy poops and the problem comes right back.

We tried a bunch of stuff and the mirilax ended up being the best for us. Prunes work wonders as well but my kid refused to eat them. For an acute one time thing the liquid glycerin suppositories work really well but it's a hell of a fight to do it correctly.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My lil dude used to get constipation pains really bad. We found formula and bananas were constipating, apples and prunes were loosening. We started giving him a sippy cup of dilute prune juice or dilute apple juice almost every day, and it keeps his poo pretty reasonable. See if you can work that into your kid's diet.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Prune juice is impressive stuff. They sell it in 12 packs of 4-8 oz cans, get that

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Yep, bananas are constipating and apples, pears, kiwi and plums/prunes loosening. We try to keep apples, pears or plums in daily diet (pureed in a smoothie/porridge or full slices) alongside fiber rich porridge in the evenings.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Skeezy posted:

Homie gets gnarly constipation every couple of days and to fix it involves me doing these leg movements just to get him to push it out. He’s not really drinking water right now just his formula.

I feel like him dealing with this every couple weeks is hurting him and I want to help him somehow. I’m going to pick up some prune juice maybe to help but my wife only got the Miralax for now.

He probably should be drinking water whenever you feed him solids. I’d try to get him used to handling a sippy cup now.

I wouldn’t introduce a laxative without consulting your pediatrician. Prune puree from the baby food aisle should be safe to add to his diet, but start small. My friends had a pretty explosive first experience with it.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Prune pouches are also amazing as alternative to juice.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Skeezy posted:

our ten month old was swiping her sisters sippy cups, so we asked our ped if water could be harmful or anything like that and she said they could have up to 5oz per day, which is a huge amount! Our old in-home daycare lady always suggested olive oil for constipation, which we've hesitated to do, but did seem to work when given with noodles.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
We’ve been using about a quarter cap of miralax daily since our daughter was like 2. She’s always had random constipation issues and it’s helped quite a bit. I have friends who add some to their kid’s daily water bottle at preschool and our pediatrician had no issues basically treating it as a daily supplement.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I love how kids will say something you explained to them a moment ago as if they just came up with it. Adorable way of demonstrating comprehension.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

He probably should be drinking water whenever you feed him solids. I’d try to get him used to handling a sippy cup now.

I wouldn’t introduce a laxative without consulting your pediatrician. Prune puree from the baby food aisle should be safe to add to his diet, but start small. My friends had a pretty explosive first experience with it.

Yeah so about that, we’re still working on solids but he’s not really taking to them yet. Still on formula but trying to work out some form of puree and solids when I can. We’ve done some practicing with them before and we’re also working with a speech therapist to help with it.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I just dropped my son off at daycare after spending the last 2 weeks with him. I miss my little guy already! I was stunned at how talkative he was on vacation. And we got two poops in the potty! It was a great time all around.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

remigious posted:

I just dropped my son off at daycare after spending the last 2 weeks with him. I miss my little guy already! I was stunned at how talkative he was on vacation. And we got two poops in the potty! It was a great time all around.

I just dropped off at daycare after spending the last two weeks with him and holy poo poo I'm finally free.

It took less than two hours and the house is finally clean for the first time since Christmas

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Today was supposed to be the first day back to daycare but we ended up having emergency surgery to remove blood building up in his head after a nasty fall last week so now he's home for 2-6 more weeks recovering and he's not allowed to run, jump, or climb until the wound is healed.

Overjoyed that he's ok and recovering well but good god the next few weeks are going to be tough

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Jose Valasquez posted:

Today was supposed to be the first day back to daycare but we ended up having emergency surgery to remove blood building up in his head after a nasty fall last week so now he's home for 2-6 more weeks recovering and he's not allowed to run, jump, or climb until the wound is healed.

Overjoyed that he's ok and recovering well but good god the next few weeks are going to be tough

Oh jeez, that sounds terrifying. Wishing your little one a speedy recovery!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Jose Valasquez posted:

Holy poo poo that’s scary, glad he’s OK now.

My guy woke me up at 3:30 and refused to go back to sleep, I think because he was cold. He also refuses to keep a blanket on so that’s a tough quandary for him. I slept on his floor.

Daycare drop off was horrible, had to physically wrestle his clothes on him and hand him sobbing to the teacher. His best friend is home from school this week and he told us he missed him over Christmas vacation and it makes me sad. 3 year old best friends are so cute.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

I love how kids will say something you explained to them a moment ago as if they just came up with it. Adorable way of demonstrating comprehension.

A born corporate leader

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
I'm trying to build out a hawai'i vacation with a 1.5 year in tow sometime this year. Any recommendations for places you guys have had non-crappy experiences? I hate Hiltons with a personal, overarching vengeance but aside from that I'd like to stay I Waikiki so I don't get bored silly.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I guess everyone wants different things out of a vacation, but I'd nope out on Honolulu and try to find at least a few days at some airbnb option on big island, and visit the active volcanoes. Hiking is supposedly great there, too!

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I guess everyone wants different things out of a vacation, but I'd nope out on Honolulu and try to find at least a few days at some airbnb option on big island, and visit the active volcanoes. Hiking is supposedly great there, too!

I'd love all those things but carting a slightly manic 1.5 year old who has the endurance of a tiny potato makes my volcano enthusiasm slightly dampened. I figured we'd get 2-3 hours of usable vacation time between naps, and adnamito isn't highly mobile so hiking (unless I'm carrying adnamito) isn't gonna work

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Yeah I guess 1.5 is just between the "carry them around anywhere" stage and later being able to make short hikes around a caldera. A 4-year old would be another proposition.

I carried my 1.5 year old around a bit in a rucksack-like deal but I wouldn't take her for longer strolls unless you're pretty fit.
https://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-baby-carrier-backpacks-hiking

If you've got a stroller-napper, it's not infeasible to a picnic in some botanical garden, I guess? I see there are several around Honolulu. They usually have stroller-friendly paths.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 2, 2024

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Jose Valasquez posted:

Yikes, I hope recovery goes well! Our two decided very rudely to get covid at the end of break instead of the beginning, so we have to keep them home through next Wednesday. The note I sent to my boss was that daycare is a false hope.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Today one of my kids smacked her jaw pretty bad (by toddler standards she’s fine) on a chair and started crying for dad, and her sister broke into this crazy evil joker laugh and kept asking to see the grisly wound.

Is it normal to raise tiny psychopaths

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
How do you guys deal with being a disciplinarian all the time?

I love my oldest son, he's 5, and I like to think we spend a lot of quality time together. However, as he's getting older I have to be "at him" what feels like all the time

* Get off the screens
* Be gentle with the baby
* Get dressed
* Eat your veggies

Even other things like teaching him how to ride a bike requires a lot of will from my side and he wouldn't do it at all otherwise

It's exhausting, physically and mentally because it feels like if he's at home I have to be in "strong dad mode" at all times.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Yeah I guess 1.5 is just between the "carry them around anywhere" stage and later being able to make short hikes around a caldera. A 4-year old would be another proposition.

I carried my 1.5 year old around a bit in a rucksack-like deal but I wouldn't take her for longer strolls unless you're pretty fit.
https://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-baby-carrier-backpacks-hiking

If you've got a stroller-napper, it's not infeasible to a picnic in some botanical garden, I guess? I see there are several around Honolulu. They usually have stroller-friendly paths.

This. We climbed a 14er in CO with our daughter on my back when she was 18 months old or so. Never mind all the other hikes all across CO, UT and AZ - 1-2 every weekend at minimum.
Two years later, we still hike every weekend; my wife carrying the 21 month old and me the soon-to-be 4 year old once she gets tired.

Our daughter conks out reliably in the backpack to this day - next to the bed, it’s the 2nd most frequented sleeping spot for her. Now that she’s more self-reflective, she actually looks forward to her nap in the backpack - and you better believe there’s no chance she’d nap on a weekend otherwise.

We have an Osprey Poco and Deuter Kid comfort active. The Osprey is better suited to mountain climbing and distributes the weight better. The Deuter offers easier ingress and egress and packs down better, but feels more light duty. They are both solid choices, but I personally prefer the Osprey.

Having kids in no way or shape limits the amount of hiking (and camping) you can do.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

abigserve posted:

How do you guys deal with being a disciplinarian all the time?

I love my oldest son, he's 5, and I like to think we spend a lot of quality time together. However, as he's getting older I have to be "at him" what feels like all the time

* Get off the screens
* Be gentle with the baby
* Get dressed
* Eat your veggies

Even other things like teaching him how to ride a bike requires a lot of will from my side and he wouldn't do it at all otherwise

It's exhausting, physically and mentally because it feels like if he's at home I have to be in "strong dad mode" at all times.

I'm feeling a mini version of this with my 6yo right now. I'm having to drag her over to the piano to practice each day even though she loves piano and made a New Year's resolution to play more and everything but it's still ughh practice. I don't want to suck all the fun out of it by making it a daily thing she Has To Do but it's also the basics and if she wants to keep the pace with her lessons she has been, then it's necessary. So I'm having to discipline it a bit. And tbh I wish someone had done that for me early on, as much as I'd probably have been just as much a little poo poo as my daughter is to me.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Maybe give her a goal? "I will practice x days in a row"? You could do some kind of reward at the end but it sounds like she's intrinsically motivated and just struggling w/ consistancy

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Can you make it fun? Or otherwise make it a connection thing? Getting their enrollment and understanding can go a long way towards getting compliance without having to ride their asses constantly. It might only work for like 20% of things, but at least that’s 20% you don’t have to fight over?

Sometimes explaining the why behind something, and having them help come up with ideas about how to get that thing done. Like:

‘You have to be gentle with the baby because it will hurt him. I know you love him and don’t want to hurt him! What are some ways we can agree on together to help you be gentle? Is there a secret code word we can use to remind you? Let’s practice being gentle with each other (and make it a silly game)!’

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I always try to figure out a way to do the thing I want my kid to do instead of coaxing them into it. It obviously doesn’t always work for everything, but they do want to imitate mom and dad so it’s something to exploit when nothing else works. This works a lot with food where I’ll just make something and silently eat in front of her without saying a word. Inevitably she shows interest and asks for a bite if I’m lucky. But if I asked her to try it? 0% success rate

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

nachos posted:

I always try to figure out a way to do the thing I want my kid to do instead of coaxing them into it. It obviously doesn’t always work for everything, but they do want to imitate mom and dad so it’s something to exploit when nothing else works. This works a lot with food where I’ll just make something and silently eat in front of her without saying a word. Inevitably she shows interest and asks for a bite if I’m lucky. But if I asked her to try it? 0% success rate

Occasional success with saying "oh you can eat those if you want to" when they pick something up, but it depends on the child and the day and the phase of the moon.

I've also found that taking a drink from my glass of water usually prompts them to drink as well

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Can anyone tell me I’m not a horrible monster for having a 9 month old still hovering around the 3rd to 5th percentile in weight? Doctors are more than willing to show an enormous amount of “concern” despite the fact that the little guy is thriving and incredibly happy and friendly. We’ve been giving him solid food for the last two months and we’re focusing on calorically dense food - stuff like mascarpone, ricotta, peanut butter mixed with sweet potato and yogurt and etc. We were making good progress for a while but he started popping out his first tooth recently and lost interest in solids almost entirely for the last week. He still nurses frequently (our lactation consultant’s motto was “nurse first, ask questions later”) but given that he’s thriving and happy, is it just a fact of life that some babies are on the smaller end? Everything besides his weight is fantastic.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

morothar posted:

This. We climbed a 14er in CO with our daughter on my back when she was 18 months old or so. Never mind all the other hikes all across CO, UT and AZ - 1-2 every weekend at minimum.
Two years later, we still hike every weekend; my wife carrying the 21 month old and me the soon-to-be 4 year old once she gets tired.

Our daughter conks out reliably in the backpack to this day - next to the bed, it’s the 2nd most frequented sleeping spot for her. Now that she’s more self-reflective, she actually looks forward to her nap in the backpack - and you better believe there’s no chance she’d nap on a weekend otherwise.

We have an Osprey Poco and Deuter Kid comfort active. The Osprey is better suited to mountain climbing and distributes the weight better. The Deuter offers easier ingress and egress and packs down better, but feels more light duty. They are both solid choices, but I personally prefer the Osprey.

Having kids in no way or shape limits the amount of hiking (and camping) you can do.

Yeah, my baby loves hanging out in our Deuter backpack, and inevitably conks out:

I'm really looking forward to hiking with him next summer. Only concern is how's he gonna sleep in a tent when it's light out 24/7 but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Necronomicon posted:

Can anyone tell me I’m not a horrible monster for having a 9 month old still hovering around the 3rd to 5th percentile in weight? Doctors are more than willing to show an enormous amount of “concern” despite the fact that the little guy is thriving and incredibly happy and friendly. We’ve been giving him solid food for the last two months and we’re focusing on calorically dense food - stuff like mascarpone, ricotta, peanut butter mixed with sweet potato and yogurt and etc. We were making good progress for a while but he started popping out his first tooth recently and lost interest in solids almost entirely for the last week. He still nurses frequently (our lactation consultant’s motto was “nurse first, ask questions later”) but given that he’s thriving and happy, is it just a fact of life that some babies are on the smaller end? Everything besides his weight is fantastic.

My question is, what percentile was he in previous visits? The number matters less than the rate of change. If kiddo was 50th percentile two months ago then yeah I'd be worried but if he's spent his entire life on the bottom I'd say he's just on track on the lower end of the scale. The value of that number is more about the rate if change than an absolute measurement, somebody's gotta be at the bottom after all.

Like, my newborn was born 1st percentile and nobody gives a poo poo he's still at 1st a few months in. What matters is that he's growing at a steady rate and isn't falling behind the curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kiddo (3yo) fell asleep on the way home from Grandma's. So she stayed up late watching TV with Mom. Wanders into my home office and announces "in ready to go to sleep now"

Uh ok "let me put you in the crib" "ok"

Getting ready for daycare was a snap this morning too. It won't always be this easy but it's really nice when it is