Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Light Gun Man posted:

let the gunbuster gals pilot getter machines

let Miorine and Suletta pilot the Gunbuster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
you always end up with like an extra single pilot getter mid game anyway, let Jung drive it

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Siegkrow posted:

I got an idea prompt for you all:
What if you switched up the getter team into the gurren lagann universe, and put Kamina, Simon and Viral in one of the Getter series as main pilots.

Go crazym give me some cool ideas.

Short answer: G-L would get more fascy and Getter would get more hetero.

Long answer:

The basic flavor of Getter Robo ('s mangas and OVA) is conflict as a source of purpose and (manly) self betterment. Ryoma's disgusted with the emasculation of Japanese society, Hayato assembles a cultish revolutionary club for his self-aggrandizement, Musashi isolated himself from society. However, all their destructive energy can be made to serve the Japanese people — by having them fight the pernicious lizard men who live beneath the Earth!

Putting them in Gurran Lagann effectively puts them on the side of the Dinosaur Empire where they're fighting to reclaim the surface world from the species that displaced them. They'll probably do much worse at establishing a new civilization than even Team Dai-Gurren. If they're able to get their poo poo together enough to mobilize against the Anti-Spirals, then their victory probably directly leads to them creating or become the Spiral Nemesis. Things probably end poorly for everyone.

For the reverse, the basic flavor of Gurran Lagann is having children as a source of purpose with manliness as simply a means to that end. Simon and Kamina escape their suffocating and isolated underground community to wage war against the evil Lord Genome who wants to stop people from loving. Then Simon fights the space aliens who steal his fiance. Viral helps out even though he's secretly sad that he can't have kids.

Putting them in Getter Robo leads to Simon defeating Emperor Gore only to end up repairing human/dinosaur relations by marrying Gore's moe pterodactyl daughter. The rampant Getter Energy propagation that triggers the Shin plotline might not even happen, but if it does then Team Dai-Gurren will eventually make peace with the Andromeda folk (after a series of mishaps and battles) and somehow overcome the threat that Getter Energy represents. None of it will make any sense if you think about it too much.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 2, 2024

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Gripweed posted:

You've seen Miorine pilot things, Earth would be destroyed in seconds.

Even if she's nowhere near it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

wdarkk posted:

You've seen Miorine pilot things, Earth would be destroyed in seconds.

Even if she's nowhere near it.

She can sit in the computer management/support seat like Kasumi does while Suletta does all of the physical piloting stuff like Noriko does, it's the perfect robot for them.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Kanos posted:

She can sit in the computer management/support seat like Kasumi does while Suletta does all of the physical piloting stuff like Noriko does, it's the perfect robot for them.

Don't they both have to do the docking though?

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Related question: Old Man Rembran reprises his role as the Getter 2 pilot, who from WFM is filling out the other two Getter machines?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Delling, Sarius and Vim?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Need a super robot powered directly by yuri moments.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Nessus posted:

Ah, then you want Hero-san and Former General-san.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Nessus posted:

This is just Iczer. or Z-Mind. Or any given Cutey Honey. Or one of the robots from Godannar. Or those two villains from Star Driver.

In other news, some friends and I have realized that I don't love Mecha like I did as a kid anymore, and that I just can't get into it anymore for similar reasons as to why I can't get it anymore.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
please dont give cutie honey this much credit. not all of them are re:cutie honey

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

The Colonel posted:

please dont give cutie honey this much credit. not all of them are re:cutie honey

It's anti-credit, so don't worry.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
confusing

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Schwarzwald posted:

Short answer: G-L would get more fascy and Getter would get more hetero.

Long answer:

The basic flavor of Getter Robo ('s mangas and OVA) is conflict as a source of purpose and (manly) self betterment. Ryoma's disgusted with the emasculation of Japanese society, Hayato assembles a cultish revolutionary club for his self-aggrandizement, Musashi isolated himself from society. However, all their destructive energy can be made to serve the Japanese people — by having them fight the pernicious lizard men who live beneath the Earth!

Putting them in Gurran Lagann effectively puts them on the side of the Dinosaur Empire where they're fighting to reclaim the surface world from the species that displaced them. They'll probably do much worse at establishing a new civilization than even Team Dai-Gurren. If they're able to get their poo poo together enough to mobilize against the Anti-Spirals, then their victory probably directly leads to them creating or become the Spiral Nemesis. Things probably end poorly for everyone.

For the reverse, the basic flavor of Gurran Lagann is having children as a source of purpose with manliness as simply a means to that end. Simon and Kamina escape their suffocating and isolated underground community to wage war against the evil Lord Genome who wants to stop people from loving. Then Simon fights the space aliens who steal his fiance. Viral helps out even though he's secretly sad that he can't have kids.

Putting them in Getter Robo leads to Simon defeating Emperor Gore only to end up repairing human/dinosaur relations by marrying Gore's moe pterodactyl daughter. The rampant Getter Energy propagation that triggers the Shin plotline might not even happen, but if it does then Team Dai-Gurren will eventually make peace with the Andromeda folk (after a series of mishaps and battles) and somehow overcome the threat that Getter Energy represents. None of it will make any sense if you think about it too much.

This is actually what I was looking for, yes!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gripweed posted:

Now I'm sad we'll never get to see an SRW that does this.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nessus posted:

Can we get an Aquarion that works on this concept?

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Blaze Dragon posted:

Can we get an Aquarion that works on this concept?

Only if 7 years later something comes out that completely shits on it retroactively.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Was EVOL actually notably more straight than Genesis? It was certainly more essentialist, with the boy planet/girl planet and the Aquarias, but it's not like Genesis ever really got away from Toma/Sirius being degenerate psycho-gay exes or took Tsugumi all that seriously.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Honestly I never really considered Genesis to be terribly supportive of gay relationships. As mentioned, the one major gay character is a yandere psycho gay ex who wants to blow up the world because the guy he loved was too straight/bi for his tastes, and is accepted at 11:59 on the doomsday clock in large part because telling him to gently caress off pretty much means the literal end of the world.

EVOL is a little more mixed? Mikage is reprising Toma's spiteful psycho gay ex role(except this time he's mad about getting tricked by a dog instead of his partner being too bi). Andy's whole arc when Mix gets kidnapped is having intense Gay Panic when he finds out she's been turned into a guy, then coming to the conclusion that it doesn't matter if Mix is a guy or a girl, he loves Mix for the person they are, which is a pretty nice message(which the show undercuts to some degree by having her turn back into a girl in the epilogue, but partial credit i guess).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Go Nagai Wonderland museum reportedly burned down in the fires after the recent earthquake.
https://go-wonderland.jp/en/
https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASS124R4TS12PPTB009.html?iref=pc_photo_gallery_bottom

A number of his original art pieces were held there, and are probably gone now.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Genesis presents a (very curated) selection of relationship types in order to say, "Boy! Aren't these neat?" but I don't think the show as a whole actually has an opinion on things beyond that.

"What if a girl with social anxiety made things explode and maybe she's a lesbian too? What if a guy was a camera otaku and was shy around women? What is a girl was pathologically unlucky buy in like a moe way? What if a girl was a vampire and her blood-drinking was presented as a kink? What if the reincarnation of some guy's lover was actual two different siblings and all three had weird complicated feelings?"

(With the final punchline being, "What if we didn't give a poo poo and instead made a version of the robot that just loving works?")

Genesis does end with the Aquarion piloted by three boys who bring the Earth together by physically pulling on its individual pieces, so really, what more could we want?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it makes me very sad that evol opens with "same sex combinations are radically inferior to mixed gender combinations" because it's such a funny show but i really can't convince anyone to watch more than 1 episode of it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Aquarion was very useful in SRWZ, that is my opinion.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

No one remembers the third Aquarion show, which from what I remember has nothing to do with the first two and ditches the three pilots premise.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gaius Marius posted:

Aquarion was very useful in SRWZ, that is my opinion.

And EVOL was basically just a worse version of it as a unit, got railroaded hard by plot events on the normal route, and made a number of decisions that kept it from being as good just in general.

I strongly suspect Banpresto liked the original better.

Ethiser posted:

No one remembers the third Aquarion show, which from what I remember has nothing to do with the first two and ditches the three pilots premise.

I do appreciate that one of Logos' ultimate messages is that literacy is good because then you won't turn into an evil revenge ghost who wants to kill everyone because you think your boyfriend didn't love you. Very relatable.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
aquarion and evol might have had some extremely questionable positions on just about every subject they covered, but at least they weren't boring like logos.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ethiser posted:

The first I heard of it was like a couple months ago, lol

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I found out about Logos through an anime openings compilation website and everything in the opening just made me decide never to watch it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

aquarion and evol might have had some extremely questionable positions on just about every subject they covered, but at least they weren't boring like logos.

genesis wasn't the most exciting anime either tbf, i'd probably have forgotten it entirely if not for evol

Ethiser posted:

i remember being excited when i heard that a new aquarion was being made and then thoroughly disappointed when i heard that it was dull, and never bothered to watch it

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

aquarion moe will be good i have faith

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Logos is a series I've half-gaslighted myself into thinking it doesn't exist. Not because I disliked it, but because there seems to be no proof it ever existed. The openings aren't on YouTube, no one talks about it, it has never been in SRW. It's like reality itself tries to forget about it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Logos is a series I've half-gaslighted myself into thinking it doesn't exist. Not because I disliked it, but because there seems to be no proof it ever existed. The openings aren't on YouTube, no one talks about it, it has never been in SRW. It's like reality itself tries to forget about it.

It's being metatextual.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

aquarion moe will be good i have faith

i just found out this is actually a thing that is happening

i have no faith but i hope it's funny

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The three rhetorical styles: logos, pathos, and moe

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Why am I only just now learning about this.

Why does this series have such awful marketing.

Like I get that it's small time in the west but so is a lot of series that I somehow hear about anyway.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I was going to post about how Godannar handles an array of romances with respect, but then I realized that for the "Lesbian American Pilots" thing, there's also the "Incestual British Pilots".

And you know what maybe we shouldn't talk about Godannar.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Hellioning posted:

Why am I only just now learning about this.

Why does this series have such awful marketing.

Like I get that it's small time in the west but so is a lot of series that I somehow hear about anyway.

There's not exactly much to gain from a marketing push for a series that only has a title, a single visual, and no release date, they will promote it when that promotion can turn into actual viewership and merch sales rather than slightly more posts.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Fivemarks posted:

And you know what maybe we shouldn't talk about Godannar.

Godannar was a fun show with nice retro-throwbacks, including the OP/ED and OST. :colbert:

Sure, the fanservice was so over-the-top it almost wrapped back around, Keijo-style, which was helpful by virtue of being pretty tongue-in-cheek at times.

I'll say the relationship stuff had a couple of problematic bits, because of course it did, yet you're not wrong in that it also had some interesting variety in that area.

wielder fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think the main relationship really worked at all. he just acted like he was her dad 99% of the time.