Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

What kind of glue works when you want to glue a polycap to some plastic for making custom joints? Plastic cement doesn't want to grip into the material of the polycaps and basic modeling glue seems to create a real weak bond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hell yea Zentraedi! (we're old as gently caress :corsair:)

That blue coat is looking smooth as hell

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Tin Tim posted:

What kind of glue works when you want to glue a polycap to some plastic for making custom joints? Plastic cement doesn't want to grip into the material of the polycaps and basic modeling glue seems to create a real weak bond.

You might need to move up to super glue if nothing else is working; the gel kind works best for me.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Phew, all the base layers done. Shading panel lines is much easier at this scale :v Next up, decals, weathering, spot touchups.

Queadlunn posted:

Getting painting done on my Hasegawa Queadluun-Rau kit, Max's colors are coming out really nice.

gently caress yeah, Zentreadi!

Deculture…

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hell yea Zentraedi! (we're old as gently caress :corsair:)

That blue coat is looking smooth as hell

I am so ready for Bandai to do a HG VF-1 in Roy Fokker colours, you have no idea :shepspends:.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

delpi gifted me a sheet of decals for an mg gouf custom

i don't have one of those. yet.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Antoine Silvere posted:

You might need to move up to super glue if nothing else is working; the gel kind works best for me.
Yeah I'll probably pick up one for the toolbox when I get stuff again. My backup was some serious 2 part epoxy glue that can handle stuff up to stone and metal :v:

For now it seems to have worked with a lot of modeling glue but there also isn't a crazy amount of pressure on the joint. I can connect and seperate it without breaking again so I'll call it a win.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

huh. microsol really is just fuckin cheating isnt it

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Deviant posted:

huh. microsol really is just fuckin cheating isnt it

"cheating" is such a strong word. Yes

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mr Mark Setter finally came in and I'm going to give it a shot on this Regult after using Vallejo decal stuff the whole time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finally had some chance to work on and paint my MODEROID El Dora V.

Still gonna have to go back and detail a few bits now that it's off the runners, but it's looking VERY pretty and shiny. The gold on the wings is pre-painted (as is the gold trim on a few other pieces for the other machines), the rest is all my own marker handiwork.

Heavy Zowort for size comparison. This thing's gonna be big when it's all built and combined.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Mr Mark Setter finally came in and I'm going to give it a shot on this Regult after using Vallejo decal stuff the whole time.

Thread opinions on Mr Mark Setter? I have a bottle of it, but am 1/3 of the way through decaling my very first Water Decal build (G Rework decals on HGTWFM Darilbalde) and frankly, the decals set pretty drat well without the stuff. I'm handling the parts carefully while doing the decals, and will be finishing with matte topcoat at which point they'll be protected.

Of what value is Mark Setter in my workflow here? Is it pointless if I'm topcoating at the end?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

DrHammond posted:

Thread opinions on Mr Mark Setter? I have a bottle of it, but am 1/3 of the way through decaling my very first Water Decal build (G Rework decals on HGTWFM Darilbalde) and frankly, the decals set pretty drat well without the stuff. I'm handling the parts carefully while doing the decals, and will be finishing with matte topcoat at which point they'll be protected.

Of what value is Mark Setter in my workflow here? Is it pointless if I'm topcoating at the end?

It dissolves the carrier film, and stops the future possibility of silvering. And it also makes the carrier film lay down better.

I mean, if your'e top coating, you're probally safe. But melting that carrier film has a myriad of benefits.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's a lot more useful for awkward decals like ones that go around curves or go between panel lines, or decals whose quality you're not sure of that you got off Aliexpress because no-one else sells any for a decent price (hi AOZ).

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I thought what y'all are describing was Mr. Mark Softer. Does Setter do the dissolving stuff as well? I was under the impression it was just an enhanced adhesive...

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah, it's softer that does what's been described.
Setter makes the waterslide stick better.
I'm not familiar with G Rework decals but I assume they're fairly good quality. You don't always need setter with the good ones, they'll stick on their own. Some brands will specifically say don't use setter in the instructions.
If you get Bandai waterslides, you need setter. And softer, since Bandai imagines you can stick a water slide all the way around a sphere and it just works.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I have nothing to compare them to since it's my first time, but the G Rework slides seem EXTREMELY high quality as best as I can tell. With nothing more than a YouTube tutorial under my belt, I've been able to use them to good effect. The print quality is super high, crisp details. The carrier film sits pretty cleanly with minimal visibility outside of specific light angles, and application is super easy, haven't messed up a single slide yet and they seem to handle mid-tight corners without issue (have a few decals that go around a bend but they're stuck on, no softer used).

The only thing Ive experienced that might detract points is a long release time, have to soak them 15-20 seconds for a clean release... But even that's not terrible.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

microsol and microset do the same sort of thing, yeah? i bought both but i've only really used the blue sol

Deviant fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 4, 2024

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Set lets you put a decal down and still be able to move it if you need to, sol will stick the decal to the model but if you try and move it later it'll tear usually. I like using both so I don't have to be as careful while placing the decals. Usually let the set dry for 10-20 minutes then use sol. Set does soften the decal but not as much.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Pierson posted:

It's a lot more useful for awkward decals like ones that go around curves or go between panel lines, or decals whose quality you're not sure of that you got off Aliexpress because no-one else sells any for a decent price (hi AOZ).

IIRC you're in Australia and that's a factor, but the SIMP set I got are pretty decent and quite cheap. YMMV on shipping, of course.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Just letting stuff cure before final assembly!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Queadlunn posted:

Just letting stuff cure before final assembly!

Hell yeah Macross! Its so close I can taste it. (also I noticed theres some terrible seams at the back I failed to notice but cant be hosed at this stage lmao)

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hell yeah Macross! Its so close I can taste it.
Hell yeah!

Got the Hasegawa Quimeliquola Queadluun-Rau completed in Max Genius's colors!
It's a good kit but needs a fair deal of putty and finishing to look good. Also, to hell with doing decals on multi-curve surfaces.

And with Millia's Queadluun-Rau & Happy Couple Knife Fight!

And a family photo with a Hasegawa Battle Pod

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

That is tight as gently caress. Nice work and bless the love for Macross kits.

Now to finish my 1/100 HG VF-29...

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
drat there’s some good rear end Macross kits here. Now to break the trend with my fucky looking kit :rms:

Still need to matte coat it but basically done with it. Not happy with the paint job since having to redo the white made it basically two shades throughout the whole thing. Plus just a bunch of mistakes. Ah well lol

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Queadlunn posted:

Hell yeah!

It's a good kit but needs a fair deal of putty and finishing to look good. Also, to hell with doing decals on multi-curve surfaces.

Very sleek, and much sharper than my Battle Pod came out, too. I see you had the patience cover those huge-rear end seam lines.

Antoine Silvere posted:

drat there’s some good rear end Macross kits here. Now to break the trend with my fucky looking kit :rms:

Still need to matte coat it but basically done with it. Not happy with the paint job since having to redo the white made it basically two shades throughout the whole thing. Plus just a bunch of mistakes. Ah well lol

Honestly, it wouldn't have been noticeable if you hadn't said anything. White's an utter bastard to paint, so nobody's going to judge you too harshly if it's not pristine.

Funny story, I thought about grabbing one of the Hasegawa VF-19s at the local hobby shop yesterday afternoon, until I saw they wanted sixty bucks for the 1/72nd version. Guess there's just something Macross in the air.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I can't help but think the blue robot looks like Air Man

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

White and yellow suck a lot to paint, good job everyone on all the kits this page tho.

Speaking of painting white and yellow, I'm starting on EVA 08 and it has a good amount of white, pink, and yellow. I've heard that putting a pink base coat down helps on yellow coverage but I wasn't sure if it was really worth it or not, may give it a shot still. I've used white primer for all three colors which should help some but not looking too forward to paint those colors in general.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I gave the yellow parts of this a light pink coat before yellow and it really helped. It was still a nightmare, I used up the whole bottle of yellow but it got done.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Queadlunn posted:

Hell yeah!

Really impressive paintjob. I legitimately can't tell it didn't come out of the box looking like that, so maybe I'm just dumb; but it's rad!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Goddammit one of the 4 waist etch stickers on my RX-78 has gone missing.

If it doesn't turn up I'll have to use a paint marker or something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This hand of mine... IS BURNING RED! :supaburn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ausqATSft44

AND NOW.....

My one regret with this is not painting the off-gray pieces in metallic silver. It's one of those things I only really noticed after I'd gotten most of it together. Aside from that, really happy how this one turned out (sans shoulder falling off). Got a replacement kit as the price was right...ish... and it was worth it to see this one finished with all the effort I'd put into painting it. Anything not white is painted with metallic markers, save the Burning Finger hands, which are their original plastic colouring. Even managed to dab in the eyes, though it's kinda hard to spot.

Fantastic kit, A+, highly recommend. Though I do suggest at least getting a gold metallic marker for the yellow pieces, because it'll make them just pop as you can see on mine. I'm not being too exotic with my poses on this one, cause I don't wanna tempt fate again, but the movement range is excellent.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
i has snek

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cute snake :3

All done!

Monoeye crew grows!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/gundampixel/status/1744215511054094410

They're still doing RE 1/100 sets? I thought Full Mechanics had taken over the 1/100 slot for Not-A-Master-Grade

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

Monoeye crew grows!

Stage fright go away, this is your big day...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/gundampixel/status/1744215511054094410

They're still doing RE 1/100 sets? I thought Full Mechanics had taken over the 1/100 slot for Not-A-Master-Grade

c'mon, MG G-Self. 2024 is the year, I can feel it!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

https://twitter.com/mizukitakumi/status/1744271876866920624

:eyepop:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
P-Bandai monkey's paw

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RE1/100 Reborns let's go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

P-Bandai monkey's paw

I would gladly take a p bandai g self with the perfect backpack or whatever it was called. Even do the space colors for extra "THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT"