Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Anyone get any wrassle stuff for Christmas?

My parents got me this art print and a WWE belt fanny pack/beer cooler

https://twitter.com/TheSkinnyMenace/status/1739346026425929743?t=iJKnfMy3Jly46s_908vgwQ&s=19

And my wife got me the TEXAS DEATH shirt

https://twitter.com/TheSkinnyMenace/status/1739345205961383967?t=BBzCs1BYyqf7a3Sgy20gqQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

My nephew and his girlfriend got me this funko:

https://twitter.com/FunkoPOPsNews/status/1604720160442662912?s=20

But the real fun was getting my 8 year-old nephew this ladder match set for his ring:

https://twitter.com/FiguresToyCo/status/1674045391661039618

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

My wife got me a jazwares figure of our champion; adam, “hangman” page. Part of the series 4 collection with other AEW greats

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
My wife got me the cool Bang Bang Gang shirt but said I shouldn't wear it in public

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Has any show ever been saved as hard by its last few matches as Worlds End was by its final three?

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Has any show ever been saved as hard by its last few matches as Worlds End was by its final three?

Double or Nothing 2023 was probably saved even harder by its last few matches.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The only reason I remember In Your House: Fatal Four Way was for the named match with Bret, Austin, Vader and Taker.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Barry Bluejeans posted:

not few, but one:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

EDIT: beaten while typing it up

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

D.N. Nation posted:

not few, but one:

IIRC at one point, before they gave Mankind the title shot, they were planning on the main event of Mind Games being HBK and Jose Lothario against Vader and Jim Cornette, which might’ve made this show an all time stinker.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I love reading that since the people I was watching Worlds End with were not happy about the TNT and World title matches and were more positive about the rest of the show

I thought every match was overall "good enough" at worst and awesome at best, personally

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

e: wrong thread!!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The World Title match told a story. As a match that stands on its own merits otherwise...eeeehhh.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

D.N. Nation posted:

not few, but one:

Savio had two matches here and four at the 1995 King of the Ring..

Clearly, Philadelphia yearns for Savio Vega.

Llyr
Mar 24, 2010

Music is the best
What is "the fed"?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Llyr posted:

What is "the fed"?

WWE, formerly World Wrestling FEDeration

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Llyr posted:

What is "the fed"?

Kevin Federline, ex-husband of Britney Spears. He once defeated John Cena.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Who are/were notable wrestlers who were known as undercarders/midcarders but over time (in years) worked their way into being main eventers and top champions even? I'm guessing JBL counts, for better or for worse? Edge also seemed to be a midcarder but became a legit main eventer as well. People who were clearly destined for the main event spot don't count.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Eddie Guerrero was mid card in WCW for his entire run, WWF didn't see him beyond the mid card at first but then he got real hot and they gave him the title. Sadly he was broken down by than

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Lily Catts posted:

Who are/were notable wrestlers who were known as undercarders/midcarders but over time (in years) worked their way into being main eventers and top champions even? I'm guessing JBL counts, for better or for worse? Edge also seemed to be a midcarder but became a legit main eventer as well. People who were clearly destined for the main event spot don't count.

Emi Sakura, a few times in her career but also not for very long.

It was touch and go with Steve Austin for a while (even if he a true blue chip prospect)

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Lily Catts posted:

Edge also seemed to be a midcarder but became a legit main eventer as well. People who were clearly destined for the main event spot don't count.

The entire Hardy/E&C fued wound up higher on the card than most people thought they'd get. I thought that of the 4, Edge was going to at least get a shot as even at the time, it seemed like it was only a matter of time before Christian got Janetty'd and the Hardy's seemed too small for a big belt run.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Eddie Guerrero was mid card in WCW for his entire run, WWF didn't see him beyond the mid card at first but then he got real hot and they gave him the title. Sadly he was broken down by than

If we're counting late era WCW > WWF jumps, Jericho and that other guy fall into the same category.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jeff Hardy went from being a literal jobber on Raw in 1995 to World Champion in the 2000s

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Lily Catts posted:

I assume you mean started at a lower spot in the same company as the one they eventually become top guy of, because the far shorter list is people who get training and are basically immediately given the top spot in their first gig which is basically Bork Lazer, and, in the case of Jade, given basically a top spot while being trained.

Edge, Rock, HBK, Mark Henry, and HHH basically started as midcard WWF guys who ended up at the top.

Drew Macintyer and Jinder where jobbers went away and ended up as WHC.

edit: Rikishi, AKA, the Sultan, aka make a difference Fatu

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 3, 2024

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lily Catts posted:

JBL didn't really work his way up as much as stalled out and eventually just got a sudden elevation because there was no one left and Vince goes with big guys.

Benoit is definitely an example of a guy who worked his way up, was seen at a certain level in both WCW and WWE and both eventually went withhim. Edge was destined for a main event slot, they wanted to push him bad but he kept having unfortunate setbacks.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lily Catts posted:

Daniel Bryan was pushed down into being a lowly jobber for a while, but he eventually went from abused midcarder to heel mastermind champ to beloved top champion.

Husky Harris to Bray Wyatt is a bit too much of a jump once the gimmick change happened to really count, I guess.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lily Catts posted:

Depending on your definitions, in the modern era a pretty big subset of people weren't "blue chippers" or "earmarked for eventual main eventers" and ended up becoming them.

The edge cases are people like The Rock and John Cena, in that they were absolutely "blue chippers" who floundered for a short period before finding their footing, but in both cases they were basically completely different characters from "pushed debut" to "actually touching the main event". But even so they were probably given the chance to work through the early missteps because of their blue chip status.

Mick Foley and Steve Austin were clearly people that folks saw something in, and they were never really undercarders once they broke in, but their eventual huge success wasn't really earmarked in a way that even Cena or Rock's was.

There were almost two generations of people who clearly had a ton of talent and/or charisma but were written off for being "too small/not vascular enough" for US wrestling that ended up moving up, a lot of the first group (Jericho, Benoit, Eddy, Rey Mysterio) were already mentioned, but later on you had Punk, Danielson, AJ Styles, and a bit later Sami Zayn/Kevin Owens/Jon Moxley. I feel like they're also sort of edge cases because anyone outside of the WWE mindset saw them as main event level talents, they just spent a bunch of time in smaller promotions (where they were generally main eventers) before being put into lower card roles by Vince McMahon.

Diamond Dallas Page is a big name not yet mentioned who went from being basically a lower-card heel manager to a lower card heel wrestler to a world champion babyface over the span of five years, after being told he was too old to be much of anything as a wrestler.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Defenestrategy posted:

I assume you mean started at a lower spot in the same company as the one they eventually become top guy of, because the far shorter list is people who get training and are basically immediately given the top spot in their first gig which is basically Bork Lazer, and, in the case of Jade, given basically a top spot while being trained.

Edge, Rock, HBK, Mark Henry, and HHH basically started as midcard WWF guys who ended up at the top.

Drew Macintyer and Jinder where jobbers went away and ended up as WHC.

edit: Rikishi, AKA, the Sultan, aka make a difference Fatu

I guess this yeah, I've been trying to look for examples in puro especially but it seems more rigid in that regard, even if you've been loyal to a promotion for a decade or more. Like if you sent a fan a couple of years into the future to watch the same wrestler they'd be shocked that said wrestler is holding the big belt or something.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

jinder

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What was the arrangement between WCW and NWA when that became a thing? Like did it just cease to dovetail with the territories and just become a rebranded nationally televised Crockett? Or did territory guys still pass through for stints? Did the WCW champ ever defend against random territory guys?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Have any other wrestlers been time travelers that we know of? Surely Vince would've been all over that kind of angle.

I desperately wanted Cesaro to face early Claudio Castagnoli as played by Aiden English.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lily Catts posted:

I guess this yeah, I've been trying to look for examples in puro especially but it seems more rigid in that regard, even if you've been loyal to a promotion for a decade or more. Like if you sent a fan a couple of years into the future to watch the same wrestler they'd be shocked that said wrestler is holding the big belt or something.

It’s tough because the rosters in the biggest Japanese companies are a lot smaller on average, so it’s easier to imagine that almost everyone brought in full-time is a blue chipper, but you do have cases like Kenta Kobashi losing his first 60-plus matches before getting a win and building from there.

Kazuchika Okada went on excursion, had a notably bad time, and returned by thumping another returnee (I had to double-check and it was Yoshi-Hashi) and then walking out to challenge champion Tanahashi in his full pomp, then beating him the next month for the belt. That’s a bit of a rocket push but it’s unreal how NJPW got that right.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Kobashi was a blue chipper even on the losing streak because Baba was a smart enough booker to know that a long losing streak for a great wrestler would make the crowd truly insane over time

Okada's Wrestle Kingdom return match even has one of the worst looking rainmakers of all time

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

fez_machine posted:

Okada's Wrestle Kingdom return match even has one of the worst looking rainmakers of all time

I did have the nice payoff during the Okada/YOSHI-HASHI 2018 G1 match when YH kicked out of the original Rainmaker and Okada looked shocked

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What was the arrangement between WCW and NWA when that became a thing? Like did it just cease to dovetail with the territories and just become a rebranded nationally televised Crockett? Or did territory guys still pass through for stints? Did the WCW champ ever defend against random territory guys?

The NWA was more or less an umbrella organisation that involved a whole bunch of smaller, regional promotions within its area of influence. Any big decisions around title changes had to be decided by committee, which must have been a pain in the bollocks, and the World's Champion would travel around from one affiliate promotion to another, having matches with their big lad.

The Atlanta-based Jim Crockett Promotions was more or less the biggest promotion affiliated with the NWA in the 80s, but when they were facing bankruptcy, Ted Turner bought them out. After an attempted rebrand or two, they settled on WCW. WCW bascially stayed a part of the NWA for a while, but it was pretty clear they were too big for that organisation, and they basically hosed off, which pretty much gutted the NWA around 92 or 93.

This then led to the tournament to crown a new champion won by Shane Douglas, representing Eastern Championship Wrestling, in 1994 which resulted in him biffing the title, leading to that promotion breaking away and rebranding themselves as Extreme Championship Wrestling.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 3, 2024

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I keep half-remembering a weird shoot interview/tweet from Keith Lee where he was mad at something and talked about how great a PWG match of his was (basically his point was he could do all styles of wrestling extremely well)

Is this real thing or did I just imagine it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

edogawa rando posted:

The NWA was more or less an umbrella organisation that involved a whole bunch of smaller, regional promotions within its area of influence. Any big decisions around title changes had to be decided by committee, which must have been a pain in the bollocks, and the World's Champion would travel around from one affiliate promotion to another, having matches with their big lad.

Every story I read about the NWA feels like stories I read about the Scilian Mafia Commission meeting.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I desperately wanted Cesaro to face early Claudio Castagnoli as played by Aiden English.

The territories were basically gone by the time of the WCW buyout. Jim Crockett Promotions in the Carolinas became by far the strongest NWA territory in the 80s as Florida died, Georgia got bought out by Vince (and then Crockett got that TV later) etc. So by the time Crockett overextends and buys out Watts, he is in control of the NWA title and what people consider the NWA. Turner then buys out Crockett, and after a few years what is left of th NWA gets sick of the arrangement and WCW is big enough it has no use for the NWA anyway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

The territories were basically gone by the time of the WCW buyout. Jim Crockett Promotions in the Carolinas became by far the strongest NWA territory in the 80s as Florida died, Georgia got bought out by Vince (and then Crockett got that TV later) etc. So by the time Crockett overextends and buys out Watts, he is in control of the NWA title and what people consider the NWA. Turner then buys out Crockett, and after a few years what is left of th NWA gets sick of the arrangement and WCW is big enough it has no use for the NWA anyway.

It's probably worth mentioning as well the other biggest (but dying) promotions in AWA and WCCW had left the NWA, decades ago in the case of AWA and in '86 in the case of World Class because Crockett decided Flair wouldn't defend the belt in Texas anymore.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

fez_machine posted:

Baba was a smart enough booker to know that a long losing streak for a great wrestler would make the crowd truly insane over time

Vince McMahon would try to replicate this multiple times, but would forget to actually put the person over.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dawgstar posted:

Every story I read about the NWA feels like stories I read about the Scilian Mafia Commission meeting.

Jim Ross tells a story about going to an NWA meeting as Bills Watts' driver/personal assistant where all the different promoters were discussing what to do about Vince McMahon and his expansions and overhearing two of the guys in the bathroom just going "If he's such a big problem, why don't we just get him killed?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Vince McMahon getting shivved by a piss soaked knife in the what, early to mid eighties, is certainly an interesting alt history.