Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Excitedly telling my shareholders that our top-100 publicly-traded(?) Yokohama enterprise made a whopping $100,000 in profit this last [UNSPECIFIED TIME UNIT]

The numbers are a lot more sober after Zero I tell you what, the first time I got into a fight and the opponent dropped a whopping 45 cents was grim. Also these drat ungrateful employees don't step up their game but keep threatening to walk unless I give them a raise! Earn your increased keep you reprobates, I'm not made of money! :argh:

I want my nice cozy cabaret club back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Haha this dojo mini game suddenly, featuring mentor dates with Saejima. Guy who did a horrible crime at 20 and then spent 25 years on prison. Perfect dude to get advice from about a girl you like.

also in the middle of my first Y4 playthrough and i swear i dumped like 3 hours into that minigame as soon as i unlocked it

i think i'm still chasing the highs of Ichiban Confections

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Btw is it just my system or are the karaoke inputs in Y7 really really late? as in you have to hit them really late. It's quite off-putting.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Started Y7 in March 2023. Finally beat it before end of the year. Now onto Yakuza 0; already at Chapter 6. Bought all the others. Such fun games. Perfect for busy dad life.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

stuker posted:

also in the middle of my first Y4 playthrough and i swear i dumped like 3 hours into that minigame as soon as i unlocked it

i think i'm still chasing the highs of Ichiban Confections

I only did the first one before saving for the day, so I haven't dug in yet but it seems leagues better than the worst version of hostess club again just from the intro.

I was actually just trying to get some cats some stuff before getting pulled into a buncha weird junk lol. Minigame of just hit wall and punch rocks... I guess unlocking new paths or just his version of roof guy training. Gotta find some ash wood now I guess. There's a trash economy now too... Was that on part 1, I realized too late I never went underground as Akiyama but I was picking up hella trash and wondering if I just whiffed that not knowing chapter end was good time. Guess it wasn't vital if I was able to miss it entirely.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I only did the first one before saving for the day, so I haven't dug in yet but it seems leagues better than the worst version of hostess club again just from the intro.

I was actually just trying to get some cats some stuff before getting pulled into a buncha weird junk lol. Minigame of just hit wall and punch rocks... I guess unlocking new paths or just his version of roof guy training. Gotta find some ash wood now I guess. There's a trash economy now too... Was that on part 1, I realized too late I never went underground as Akiyama but I was picking up hella trash and wondering if I just whiffed that not knowing chapter end was good time. Guess it wasn't vital if I was able to miss it entirely.

it's got a lot of parallels to the Y3 clubs but the bro dates are a fun change of pace and it's nice to end each cycle with a fight instead of walking around the club in the same circle

i didn't realize that locker keys were locked into the protag you find them with and did way too much exploring as akiyama, so missing the underground until saejima could be a blessing in disguise. you can definitely find trash in the first act but i don't think the exchange unlocks until saejima

stuker fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 3, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, are you talking about 7, as in the Kasuga Ichiban game? How in the world did you do that in 13 hours?

I'm talking about gaiden because I got completely mixed up by the y7/LAD renaming/numbering. 7 took me like 70 hours. I was too hyped about the fights in gaiden and forgot how to count more than 4 shirtless heroes

Gaiden is Yakuza 8, aka the 9th Yakuza. I need to remember this.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 3, 2024

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Gaiden is a gaiden (side story) game, Infinite Wealth is the actual LAD8 because it has the infinity symbol and is also literally just called Like A Dragon 8 in Japan.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Oh no, Infinite Wealth is 8.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Yeah, as far as name translations go: Yakuza 0-6, Y: LAD and LAD: IW are Ryuu ga Gotoku 0-8. Japanese releases from 4 to 7 (including 0) have bad corny subtitles but only 6's got directly translated. 8's Japanese release dropped the subtitled naming scheme and is simply called RGG 8.

At least it's better than the Gyakuten Saiban -> Ace Attorney series title translation mess.

Edit: To add to the mess, for some reason the XBox (and possibly Windows Store?) versions of the Kiwamis, 0, 3-5 Remastered and 6 are titled Yakuza even in Japan. The games themselves are completely in Japanese and pop up a disclaimer saying they're functionally the same as the equivalent games titled RGG on other platforms. I believe the only difference is that they lack the licensed music that got removed for western releases. 7 and 8 are titled RGG 7 and 8 just like on the Playstation. I'd love to hear the story about the legal mess that required this naming weirdness.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 3, 2024

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I guess it’s fitting since you don’t have a lot to use it on after beating an Amon, but the War God’s Talisman is aggressively cracked, probably one of the single best equips in the series with how slow Heat regen is and how little the Heat consumables heal. Supremely cathartic to roll up to the point of no return and just start whipping everyone’s rear end with spin kicks.

Speaking of heat, how does everyone feel about the Dragon Engine’s shift to Heat mode being a limit break rather than just a state you maintain for better attack speed/super armor? Kinda makes me reluctant to use Heat actions since that’s extra limit break time I’m burning through and all, plus maintaining heat mode added a little something extra to fights, even if RGG Studio tended to usually suck so much at explaining Heat Mode to players that the current system is better for newcomers.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
And Gaiden done! i didnt ugly cry like Kiryu but i definitely teared the gently caress up at that moment, probably one of the best scenes in the series, just Kiryu letting his guard down completely towards the end as he realizes how much he misses his kids and grandson.

Also, what the ever loving gently caress at the ending, specifically Shishido getting abducted by Horrible Daidoji Agent Guy for slavery, and then being told “don’t worry, you’re back where you started as a slave, but your heavily implied physical/sexual abuser/rapist will be keeping you company, like did I miss a lot or did he not deserve that?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

orenronen posted:

Yeah, as far as name translations go: Yakuza 0-6, Y: LAD and LAD: IW are Ryuu ga Gotoku 0-8. Japanese releases from 4 to 7 (including 0) have bad corny subtitles but only 6's got directly translated.

Wait - what are all of the other subtitles?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Wait - what are all of the other subtitles?

These are awkward direct translations that sound better in Japanese, but they're still bad:

龍が如く4 伝説を継ぐもの (Ryuu ga Gotoku 4 Densetsu o Tsugu Mono): The Inheritors of the Legend
龍が如く5 夢、叶えし者 (Ryuu ga Gotoku 5 Yume, Kanaeshi Mono): The Fulfillers of Dreams
龍が如く0 誓いの場所 (Ryuu ga Gotoku 0 Chikai no Basho): The Place of Vows
龍が如く6 命の詩。(Ryuu ga Gotoku 6 Inochi no Uta.): The Song of Life. For some reason, this one officially has a period at the end of the title.
龍が如く7 光と闇の行方 (Ryuu ga Gotoku 7 Hikari to Yami no Yukue): The Destination of Light and Darkness

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

yume

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
dead souls is just RGG Of The End
which is metal

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
lol that you’re just literally LARPing in real life for job changes now. Also this mechanic seems like a real dweeb, he’ll fit in perfectly with Ichiban.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

orenronen posted:

These are awkward direct translations that sound better in Japanese, but they're still bad:

龍が如く4 伝説を継ぐもの (Ryuu ga Gotoku 4 Densetsu o Tsugu Mono): The Inheritors of the Legend
龍が如く5 夢、叶えし者 (Ryuu ga Gotoku 5 Yume, Kanaeshi Mono): The Fulfillers of Dreams
龍が如く0 誓いの場所 (Ryuu ga Gotoku 0 Chikai no Basho): The Place of Vows
龍が如く6 命の詩。(Ryuu ga Gotoku 6 Inochi no Uta.): The Song of Life. For some reason, this one officially has a period at the end of the title.
龍が如く7 光と闇の行方 (Ryuu ga Gotoku 7 Hikari to Yami no Yukue): The Destination of Light and Darkness

it has a period because it's the end of Kiryu's story

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
*citation needed

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the new guy is quite clear that he is not kiryu

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the new guy is quite clear that he is not kiryu

"I'm not Kiryu! Stop insinuating that! Buuuuuuuuuuuut.... if I happened to be Kiryu... what would you want?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kiryu doesn't have cancer, it is just that his doctor thought he was named Joryu and read the wrong report.

But he is trapped in Ichiban's Belief Becomes Reality field and so because he thinks he has cancer his body is responding like he has cancer.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ichiban's party is gonna shrink down into Kiryu's bloodstream and fight off the final boss, cancer

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Or Kiryu will be expanded to giant size to fight some sort of kaiju and Ichiban and co will go in regular-sized while he's doing that.

(Kiryu will wear his glasses to keep his identity safeguarded and no one will be the wiser.)

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Kiryu will return to Sotenbori, where the big animatronic crab will detach from the restaurant, name itself Cancer, and challenge Kiryu to a duel to the death. Kiryu will Tiger Drop the crab, who will repent, withdraw its sibling cells from Kiryu's body, and return to the restaurant topmast

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

stuker posted:

it's got a lot of parallels to the Y3 clubs but the bro dates are a fun change of pace and it's nice to end each cycle with a fight instead of walking around the club in the same circle

i didn't realize that locker keys were locked into the protag you find them with and did way too much exploring as akiyama, so missing the underground until saejima could be a blessing in disguise. you can definitely find trash in the first act but i don't think the exchange unlocks until saejima

Lol I thought they both had their own set of keys and that's why Saejimas were all in the "new" areas but I guess I just cleaned up the main areas clean as Akiyama haha.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I wanted to share a little story.

A relax activity that my wife and I participate in is getting fairly zooted and then watching 4k walking videos. We'll watch ones from all over, but our favorites are always the ones in Japan. For example, here is one for Shinjuku/Kabukicho if you want to feel like you're actually in Kamurocho - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnK7UVhvrz8

When we were watching one last night, the cameraman walked past a street performer and we were able to catch his name. Anyway, I went to his instagram and you all should follow this guy because he loving rules and feels like he would be a character in a LAD substory. https://www.instagram.com/starducktony/

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Mordiceius posted:

I wanted to share a little story.

A relax activity that my wife and I participate in is getting fairly zooted and then watching 4k walking videos. We'll watch ones from all over, but our favorites are always the ones in Japan. For example, here is one for Shinjuku/Kabukicho if you want to feel like you're actually in Kamurocho - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnK7UVhvrz8

When we were watching one last night, the cameraman walked past a street performer and we were able to catch his name. Anyway, I went to his instagram and you all should follow this guy because he loving rules and feels like he would be a character in a LAD substory. https://www.instagram.com/starducktony/

You can just grab the no enemy encounters accessory in the games. Especially in the dragon engine ones, and just go into first person and walk around for a while. Quite relaxing, to be honest. Even in the dragon engine games just walking into a store and looking at their stuff. I love playing tourist in these games.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I can't afford to travel so those walking tour videos really hit a special itch and I've found myself in a weird trance sucked in to them before. If VR ever gets it poo poo together I bet these would be even cooler.

Also love wandering the cities in game with fights off. I think one of the main reasons I can't just plow through the games to catch up is any time I play one I get so inspired and itchy to make city stuff I end up putting the game down for a while to keep trying and make my own city stuff. Last year made a rough layout of the city and some stuff to plop into UE5 and that was fun even with bare grey cube buildings and kind of funny how you can build up a landmark memory quickly once wandering the space. Recently been reworking the city layout

One of the weirdest Yakuza details I obsess over are the magazine racks in the poppos. Seeing when they update the covers, update the model or lighting texturing, etc. the shops in general are so rich with little details that only get better as the resolutions allow for more than pixel smears and big blurry text. But the overall gestalt remains convincing in low or high res, at least in the Kiwami and remastered world I played. Morbidly curious one day to try the original 1 but quick LP scans make it seem less magical and touristy

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Alright so I'm in Chapter 2 of Gaiden at the moment and I gotta say as someone who played Yakuza 0 - 6, I'm getting a lot of big Kiryu vibes from this Joryu dude.

I know that I'm not assessing it objectively coming to it straight off the back of 7 having been fairly down on the turn based combat but god drat it feels great to just be ducking and weaving and pummeling dudes again. The Spider is absolutely stupid and ridiculous and I love it far more than I thought I would, and also I would quite happily play a game of just walking around town retrieving lost belongings by yeeting them to me with my magical spy watch. Also the 'immersive' cabaret club certainly was an experience I was in absolutely no way prepared for. I can't believe there's a goddamn Motor Raid arcade cabinet, a game that I played an absolute ton at my local arcade when I was younger. I haven't gotten to Pocket Circuit yet but I've seen Pocket Circuit parts available for sale and I cannot wait. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm too used to sweet, innocent Kiryu and didn't realize in 7 that Ichiban would end up getting laid for doing some community college courses and impressing the receptionist, or beating up a lady's lovely dad, and now I got an achievement warning me of playing with fire! :ohdear:

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
anyone who's played the infinite wealth demo: is the lighting less flat and desaturated than 7? id hope so, being set in Hawaii and all. replaying 7 is a huge downgrade from gaiden in this regard

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

doctor iono posted:

anyone who's played the infinite wealth demo: is the lighting less flat and desaturated than 7? id hope so, being set in Hawaii and all. replaying 7 is a huge downgrade from gaiden in this regard

I do have a bad computer, but I thought the lighting was okay in the demo. The story based cutscenes had good lighting, but the hawaii trial stuff, it was... okay. It did seem a bit more vivid in some places.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

doctor iono posted:

its got good graphixs op

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
it's weird because i never thought much about the graphics in the yakuza series either way. and this is probably really just a symptom of me having just played 6 and gaiden, which are both :swoon:gorgeous:swoon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've run into a really weird issue with Like a Dragon that I can't seem to find a solution for online, hoping that somebody has experienced something similar here (and fixed it!):

The last day or so the game feels like it is running at about 1.2x speed. There doesn't seem to be any cause for it that I can think of, suddenly everything just feels like it is slightly fast-forwarded, and it's most apparent during battles where the prompts for moves are disappearing almost as soon as they appear on screen. I've tried adjusted the frame limit up and down, turned V-Sync on and off, double-checked my 3D settings in Nvidia Control Panel and Windows to make sure it's using my GPU (which is the only option it does have to use) since apparently some people found that the cause of the opposite problem of the game running too slow.

It's not a dealbreaker, the game is still playable but it's noticeable and a little annoying, especially as I've been playing it for over 100 hours now without this being a problem, and I don't know what the cause for this could be all of a sudden. I even tried downloading a trainer that lets you adjust the game speed since I was getting so annoyed by not being able to fix it, but while I can make things move at what feels like a normal pace by doing that, it noticeably slows down the audio which just creates a different problem.

Any ideas?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Various sites have been putting up their previews for LAD8 today.

Really positive stuff but also if you're going into 8 dark, I think a few of the previews like IGN's spoil something (that was also in a previous trailer in case you didn't watch it)

Some have video previews, like GameXplain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I1WKXRlXys

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Give me the game now Sega

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Lol, Gai Amon is such a little turd. I had to resort to nothing but tiger drops at the end, and that was after looking up how to deal with his first phase healing.

Gaiden is really a great game but it's kind of weird to be done with Amon in under 17 hours without trying to rush anything. I think I'll go for the plat as well, which I only have on 6 and 7.

Edit: oh god it requires cabaret club. Ugh

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
me looking up the plat in every single yakuza game except 7:

trevorreznik posted:

Edit: oh god it requires cabaret club. Ugh