Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

NeuralSpark posted:

I really loved and put some serious time into Stationeers but the gas / liquid phase change update really changed the game from "this is fun planning the systems I need" to "good lord this is tedious and I need high school chemistry / physics refresher to play". I wish they had a switch to turn that off, but understand why they probably can't do that.

Yep. I don't understand how you are supposed to pressurize a base now. The second the room starts to heat up it over pressurizes and explodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Arven posted:

Yep. I don't understand how you are supposed to pressurize a base now. The second the room starts to heat up it over pressurizes and explodes.

Have not played since the update, but I'd try barely pressurizing a base, then getting it to temperature, then slowly fully pressurizing it, to avoid poo poo going too full too fast, since hot gas is big gas. Also designing emergency pressure purges into the systems, since I'd only eyeball poo poo and am bad at math, so would be able to kludge poo poo till I arrive at good values.

I really should play again, because figuring out how to design an temperature control system using phase changes would be cool. I also wonder if the big useless turbines are useful yet, and how the phase change stuff interacts with Vulcan...

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I started on mars and it wasn’t hard to not explode a base? I used the usual approach of making a mostly glass room and dropping oxite in it, then every 3~ days or so running the portable AC to prevent it from getting past 25-30C and ruining my crops.

You can mix in nitrice to prevent it from being all oxygen, and even use the portable scrubber to get the N2O out if you want.

The only phase change annoyance I’ve run into so far is N2O liquifying after melting nitrice but I built a filter to push it out to a liquid valve thing you can slap on a gas pipe to drain it.

Maybe it’s Mars temps but I really don’t see phase change hitting in explodey ways unless you’re already far enough into gas management to have plenty of resources and ways to handle phase change. Are you trying to pump furnace gases into your house or something?

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 23, 2023

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

bird food bathtub posted:

Subnautica is a game I wish I could find a way to force myself to forget so I could play it for the first time all over again. It's such an absolute wonder to experience with no idea what is going on.

Yeah, agreed. Sub Zero was okay, but didn't nearly provide that same feeling.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Gromit posted:

Yeah, agreed. Sub Zero was okay, but didn't nearly provide that same feeling.

Agreed, subzero was a very solid "meh". Truck was neat, game felt short, zones weren't as awe inspiring. Glad it covered the story I guess but didn't fill it's big sibling's shoes.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Maybe it’s Mars temps but I really don’t see phase change hitting in explodey ways unless you’re already far enough into gas management to have plenty of resources and ways to handle phase change. Are you trying to pump furnace gases into your house or something?

I was playing Europa, and the ambient gas in my base was enough to cause it to explode upon heating. Granted I haven't played since the initial patch, they may have fixed it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Having a lot of fun with Sengoku Dynasty, it's basically Medieval Dynasty but in feudal Japan and made by a different team: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1702010/Sengoku_Dynasty/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCB3B_Oje0U

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
That looks cool. I've never played Medievel Dynasty but having been to Japan a number of times this is more my jam. I refunded The Front (that was the 4th survival game refunded in about a week lol) so I'll give this one a whirl!

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Arven posted:

I was playing Europa, and the ambient gas in my base was enough to cause it to explode upon heating. Granted I haven't played since the initial patch, they may have fixed it.

Europa has a decently thick atmosphere that's super chilled, when that poo poo is heated up it can increase rapidly in pressure and blow your poo poo up unless you monitor and regulate it. While the 45kpa atmosphere should only equalize to ~105kpa when heated to room temperature, even before the update I always kept some bleeder vents that activate at >100kpa when slowly heating my base there in case I hosed something up and dumped extra air in a room. Walls can only hold ~200kpa of pressure before buckling, less for windows, less for iron based ones instead of steel. You can increase this slightly with a partially built frame adding some reinforcement, and a fully built frame is/was? indestructible to pressure. How hot are you making it and how fast are you heating things? Also, it is a pure O2 atmosphere, and that poo poo is flammable as gently caress if even a little bit of other gasses mix in, so absolutly make sure you've not got your smelters inside.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Sandrock is on sale this week, finally got it. This game does so many things right and I Love it. I can't believe it took me so long to find out crafting from storage was available by default.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Having overpressure safety in your rooms is a good idea regardless in case you ever drop a little too much ice.

The problem I have with the phase change update is that pipes burst way too quickly. On the other hand, you can build a very standard refrigeration cycle now and that's pretty cool.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Did they change how mining works in Sandrock from Portia? The whole mining minigame really made me annoyed enough with Portia to stop playing it entirely.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Umbreon posted:

Sandrock is on sale this week, finally got it. This game does so many things right and I Love it. I can't believe it took me so long to find out crafting from storage was available by default.
Just about everything is done from storage. The only things you need to carry, other than your tools, are things you gift and fishing bait. Probably something else, but not much.

explosivo posted:

Did they change how mining works in Sandrock from Portia? The whole mining minigame really made me annoyed enough with Portia to stop playing it entirely.
Yes, they absolutely changed it for the better. The basic idea is the same (mines with levels, ore and relic pieces in the mine) but it’s much less frustrating.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yes, they absolutely changed it for the better. The basic idea is the same (mines with levels, ore and relic pieces in the mine) but it’s much less frustrating.

Oh that is extremely good to hear. I think I still might hold off in hopes that it comes to Gamepass some day since Portia eventually did but that sounds like a change that might get me to stick around longer.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It is a long, long game, too. Easily 100 hours.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

RandomBlue posted:

Having a lot of fun with Sengoku Dynasty, it's basically Medieval Dynasty but in feudal Japan and made by a different team: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1702010/Sengoku_Dynasty/

This could be cool. Medieval dynasty was a fun idea but I couldn't really get past how absolutely terrible the hunting was. Your first bow takes like seven shots to kill a deer and the run off at 85mph no matter where you hit tthem with no real way to track them effectively.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Spanish Matlock posted:

This could be cool. Medieval dynasty was a fun idea but I couldn't really get past how absolutely terrible the hunting was. Your first bow takes like seven shots to kill a deer and the run off at 85mph no matter where you hit tthem with no real way to track them effectively.

The hunting is much easier and has an aim guide. Things slow down when hit as well. Currently deer and smaller take two spears/arrows or less, boars take one or two more.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

RandomBlue posted:

The hunting is much easier and has an aim guide. Things slow down when hit as well. Currently deer and smaller take two spears/arrows or less, boars take one or two more.

Fantastic. I don't need every game to be theHunter but like, if I put a small piece of wood through a deer's neck maybe it doesn't run a full marathon afterward

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Looks like Craftopia has opened up a new region in their Seamless World, a desert... and they're promising at least another 2, a poison swamp and a volcano. I'm honestly tempted to give it a go even if Palworld and Enshrouded are both slated for next month. It might be really interesting contrasting how it feels to build a gigantic pyramid in each.
EDIT: Also, thanks for the subnautica reminders! Just gifted a copy to a friend for the holidays :)

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

How is Smalland solo? I enjoyed Grounded solo for reference.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

That looks amazing, I love anything Sengoku period.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Lord of the Rings: Return to Moria is 50% off on EGS at the moment. I used a coupon from picking up The Outer Worlds for free to get Return to Moria for a tenner. Hopefully it's worth it; I was surprised to see it on such a deep discount so soon after release.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

piano chimp posted:

Lord of the Rings: Return to Moria is 50% off on EGS at the moment. I used a coupon from picking up The Outer Worlds for free to get Return to Moria for a tenner. Hopefully it's worth it; I was surprised to see it on such a deep discount so soon after release.

For a tenner? Yes, presumably. I had to go on a trip before I got too far, but from what I’ve seen so far it’s worth that much at least. I could see a solid five hours of play from the little I could experience. Whether I get more out of it depends on what it opens up to after - I just barely got to the second area elven mines.

The combat remains simple but it’s a bit better than my worst fear. Goblin pathfinding is worse than expected, often unable to navigate open doors. I wonder if I can literally wait out a siege w/o fighting early on when it’s just weak goblins. I know there are meaner and bigger threats to come.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Has anyone tried (or even heard) of https://store.steampowered.com/app/2247760/Revive__Prosper/? I've read about it in a gaming magazine this week but haven't seen even a mention of it anywhere else. Looks decent and rating is positive, though with only 30 reviews that's of questionable value.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Like, an actual paper gaming magazine? I don't think I've read one of those since my subscription to Nintendo Power ran out in 1989

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Yep, Europe though. Maybe we’re more into that kind of old fart stuff here? I used to buy it when I was a teenager but somehow two of the magazines still survive to this day and I buy them every now and then when I’m at a train station or airport.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'd probably buy magazines more often if the prices hadn't gone so silly. Used to love getting PC Gamer. I've got a box of the demo discs somewhere.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Coconut Monkey demands fealty.

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021
Anyone else have Survivalist Invisible Strain?
I picked it up and started playing over the holidays. So far I would describe it as fun but unfocused.

My quick review is below. If I get the energy I’ll write a more detailed review.

The good
Tense combat
Fun base building
Interesting world

The bad
Inventory management
Janky controls
Community management

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I have that in my library, haven't played it in a while though. I see the update notes every so often, though, and it looks like things are coming together pretty well for a one-man project. It's definitely janky, but I enjoyed it for a bit. I might go back to it soon, seeing as it's had a couple years of updates since I last played.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RandomBlue posted:

I played about an hour of it but it felt extremely janky to me and IIRC the building system uses the old "build your blocks first then place them" system instead of something more modern where you just need the mats in inventory and select the blocks you want as you build.

Yea, thats the one thing that really bugged me about the Front. It took forever to build a base due to this. It still feels really early access, and the difficulty spikes between zones are massive. In the green zone its pretty easy to take out enemies, but i went to the desert to get some oil and everything just slaughters me.

I picked up sunkenland as i had some money left in my xmas sale budget and i'm enjoying it. Having base raids makes thinking about defense a necessity, and the water aspect is pretty neat. Some resources are stupidly hard to get though. And I keep forgetting to build a boat. That would probably make things way easier.

What I look for in a Survival game is base building and the tech tree to explore.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

quote:

Survivalist: Invisible Strain is the sequel to Survivalist

Very unfortunate name for search engine optimization, only $2 right now for the OG, and $6 for the sequel.

I just have either never heard of it before or the name was so generic it slipped through the folds of my brain.

At that price I might pick it up near sight unseen on the back of a shopping spree and goon commentary. Might actually find invisible strain footage to influence my decision since that name is unique enough to not be lost in search results.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Tomato always has some nice gameplay of it every few months, worth checking out if you want to see some gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP6ouDRoXeo

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I’ve been playing a ton of Sailwind, it is so good. Janky but it has good bones.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Harminoff posted:

Tomato always has some nice gameplay of it every few months, worth checking out if you want to see some gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP6ouDRoXeo

jesus christ, an hour of just talking before this 5 hour video even gets to the game

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

RandomBlue posted:

jesus christ, an hour of just talking before this 5 hour video even gets to the game

Lol its not a tomato stream unless it's 1-2 hours of just talking :( He always does that for some reason. Audience engagement I guess?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm trying to find a good base builder kind of game but IDK what to buy that's good

I may generally end up only playing solo

I've tried:

ARK (want to like this but it feels like it's not good solo)
V Rising (kinda liked this)
Icarus (liked this, the open world mode anyways)
Rust (eh)
Valheim (eh)
7 days to die (didn't really like this, kinda janky)
Empyrion Galactic Survival (too jank, didn't like)
Conan Exiles (i guess it's ok but I'm just not a Fantasy girl)
Subnautica 1 (i guess it's ok, I played it early on in development so idk if it got any better)
Don't Starve (Bounced off this, maybe I should give it another go?)

Not sure if anything's on sale that's good...
I see Project Zomboid but I'm not really into zombies but I'm thinking about it
Astroneer, Space Engineers, Occupy Mars?

any suggestions would be appreciated

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
honestly im not really sure survival games are your thing if you've played all of those and havent had a Very Good experience

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Zomboid is good and I’m not a zombie media lover. It’s extremely crunchy in ways that I enjoy, but that also means it’s very punishing and while you can certainly tune that down with settings, I feel like you’ll enjoy the game most if you like getting into that punishing nonsense.

Vintage Story isn’t on your list and is about to have a new patch (or well, it does, but it’s not quite “official” yet.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm trying to find a good base builder kind of game but IDK what to buy that's good

I may generally end up only playing solo

I've tried:

ARK (want to like this but it feels like it's not good solo)
V Rising (kinda liked this)
Icarus (liked this, the open world mode anyways)
Rust (eh)
Valheim (eh)
7 days to die (didn't really like this, kinda janky)
Empyrion Galactic Survival (too jank, didn't like)
Conan Exiles (i guess it's ok but I'm just not a Fantasy girl)
Subnautica 1 (i guess it's ok, I played it early on in development so idk if it got any better)
Don't Starve (Bounced off this, maybe I should give it another go?)

Not sure if anything's on sale that's good...
I see Project Zomboid but I'm not really into zombies but I'm thinking about it
Astroneer, Space Engineers, Occupy Mars?

any suggestions would be appreciated

Lego Fortnite