Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Samovar posted:

Edging of Tomorrow.

Live. Little Death. Repeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CzarChasm posted:

Live. Little Death. Repeat

:golfclap:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Live. Nut. Repeat.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Samovar posted:

Edging of Tomorrow.

Glooper

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh, this is a minor joke, on top of so many small jokes, but in the Naked Gun, the whole story starts with drug smuggling from South America.

But the drug is heroin.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Samovar posted:

Oh, this is a minor joke, on top of so many small jokes, but in the Naked Gun, the whole story starts with drug smuggling from South America.

But the drug is heroin.

hloy poo poo

thats subtle, top 10 imo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im terribly sorry, i have at this moment drank some booze and my internal voice is frank drebin, thus only trustworthy to those who have not drank some booze

now where's that soup?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At least the skin stuff sounds kinda invigorating.
I think depending on where you draw the line for 'alive' vs 'dead', the time machine either does nothing (because even the outermost layer of skin is alive by modern definitions) or rapidly kills you from water loss and bacteria entry (that skin layer is functionally important)

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Samovar posted:

But the drug is heroin.

I’m not smart

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

In the Dark Knight Lucius refers to the batman tech as spying on 30 million people. So Gotham is 3 1/2 times bigger than New York City? They should have way more cops

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Shard posted:

In the Dark Knight Lucius refers to the batman tech as spying on 30 million people. So Gotham is 3 1/2 times bigger than New York City? They should have way more cops

Might have also been tapped in to Snyderverse Metropolis right across the river

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shard posted:

I just googled New York Metro population and got 23.5 million. So not much a stretch.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

freeedr posted:

I’m not smart

Heroin comes from poppy plants which don't grow in South America.

Edit: I guess that's not true anymore but it was when the movie was made.

Tagichatn has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Dec 16, 2023

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

I just googled New York Metro population and got 23.5 million. So not much a stretch.
Right thank you I always forget the metro

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Gotham suburbs must have the most insane reactionaries complaining about urban crime of all time, except for once they’re completely correct.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The alex jones type making the batman= bruce wayne link and nobody taking them seriously

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That's something I loved about Postgame Arkham Knight, the Riddler refusing to believe that Batman was really Bruce Wayne because he couldn't figure it out and couldn't handle that the answer really was that simple

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is funny how it's shown that despite it being 'obvious' from a reader perspective, Bruce Wayne's persona really works. It's like trying to claim Paris Hilton is actually on Seal Team 6. If anything it helps even more because despite what a lot of writers seem to think, there's no reason anyone has to assume that Batman is a publicly known figure working independently. Sometimes people guess this, like Two-Face in BTAS figuring there's a whole team of them working for the police, and if one gets killed in action there's another one to replace him. (Also I once read a Birds of Prey comic where Catwoman under a truth serum bluffed that. "The graveyards are filled with Batmen... and don't even get me started on the Robins...")

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

freeedr posted:

I’m not smart

The drug you'd expect to be smuggled out of South America in the 80s is cocaine, not heroin. It'd be like talking about drug smuggling out of Afghanistan and it turning out to be LSD.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BioEnchanted posted:

That's something I loved about Postgame Arkham Knight, the Riddler refusing to believe that Batman was really Bruce Wayne because he couldn't figure it out and couldn't handle that the answer really was that simple

Prior to the events of Arkham City he was all smug to Hugo Strange until the latter revealed that he knew Batman's identity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC99D5m_1jQ&t=186s

Boston pee party
Oct 14, 2012

Shard posted:

Maybe all the cops that we don't see are stuck inside a sewer, like in the sequel

Boston pee party has a new favorite as of 20:28 on Dec 16, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

In the third act of Jaws, there's a quick scene in the middle of the chase where Quint tells Brody (very calmly, under the circumstances) to deal with a fire that comes about by a lamp falling on deck.

Quint set that fire deliberately. Brody was trying to contact someone on the radio, so Quint distracted him from it. It is the second part of a one-two-three development of Quint stopping the outside world from interfering with the three of them hunting the shark (first one, he blew off Mrs. Brody's concerns, second time was the deliberate fire, third time was him destroying the radio).

This may have been obvious to most, but I just watched the film the other day and I felt like an idiot for not realizing it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Samovar posted:

In the third act of Jaws, there's a quick scene in the middle of the chase where Quint tells Brody (very calmly, under the circumstances) to deal with a fire that comes about by a lamp falling on deck.

Quint set that fire deliberately. Brody was trying to contact someone on the radio, so Quint distracted him from it. It is the second part of a one-two-three development of Quint stopping the outside world from interfering with the three of them hunting the shark (first one, he blew off Mrs. Brody's concerns, second time was the deliberate fire, third time was him destroying the radio).

This may have been obvious to most, but I just watched the film the other day and I felt like an idiot for not realizing it.

Interesting. I never thought he started the fire on purpose but he does come in later on and just smash the poo poo out of it so that makes sense I guess.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
In the Manhattan tv show there is an episode where one of the physicists visits a Uranium plant. At one point he casually asks about a valve on a blueprint, only to be told that the symbol indicates a window, not a valve.

In The Pleasure Of Finding Things Out, Richard Feynman talks about once asking the same question about a blueprint he didn't understand, expecting people to clarify the real meaning of the symbol, only to have everyone go "OMG, You’re absolutely right, sir!" and rush off with the blueprints. I thought that was a nice easter egg.

Also, the guy who plays Karl Fuchs in Oppenheimer is the same actor who played not-Karl Fuchs in Manhattan. That's what reminded me of the show in the first place.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
In Ghostbusters: Afterlife Paul Rudd reads an Avengers comic. He plays an Avenger in the Marvel movies.

Edit: Holy poo poo, does that poster in the background resemble Stay Puft?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

deoju posted:

In Ghostbusters: Afterlife Paul Rudd reads an Avengers comic. He plays an Avenger in the Marvel movies.

Oh thanks for choosing the form of the destroyer there idiot

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I couldn't help it.

It just popped in there.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

deoju posted:

I couldn't help it.

It just popped in there.

That’s what he said

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Speaking of Feynman, I was happy to see an unnamed physicist playing bongos in the background of a party scene in Oppenheimer.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

deoju posted:

You picked something unsubtle that turned out to have a genuinely subtle moment, excellent!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The avengers comic is subtle because it's small and the title is readable for a less than 2 seconds. :colbert:

Curtana
Feb 17, 2011

deoju posted:

The avengers comic is subtle because it's small and the title is readable for a less than 2 seconds. :colbert:

I thought he was reading some science magazine, not a comic, so it's a subtle moment for me. :colbert:

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Chicken Run II
Was about to post in the IIMM thread about the escalator steps having flat fronts, which I found very annoying.
Googled "60's escalator" first and it turns out they really used to look like that, so I'm posting here instead.
Still looks bad, but it's period accurate, so
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, there's a neat little Aardman throwback cameo in literally the last few frames of the movie.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The Help

Minnie baked her poo poo into a pie she served a white woman who was not very likeable at all whomstvent'd then developed a sore on her lip from eating the poo poo pie.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

The Help

Minnie baked her poo poo into a pie she served a white woman who was not very likeable at all whomstvent'd then developed a sore on her lip from eating the poo poo pie.

Two-Slice Hilly

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreshFeesh posted:

Speaking of Feynman, I was happy to see an unnamed physicist playing bongos in the background of a party scene in Oppenheimer.

I don't remember him being named in dialogue but yeah, that's Feynman, Jack Quaid is in the credits as him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just thought this thread should know but at the beginning of Wonka it turns out Wonka can't read.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

You're loving kidding me

It was Chalamet all along and not Pitt

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Maybe Pitt is the one who learned Chamalet how not to be able to read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm watching The Godfather, Coda: the Death of Michael Corleone and I forgot that Martin Scorcese's mother Catherine has a bit part in it. :kimchi: