Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
You could shut John Cougar Mellencamp up in a second by telling him to suck a chili dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Everyone knows he stole the chili dog thing from the Hedgehog known as Sonic. What a fucken biter.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
This is the only good John Mellencamp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QX57aIDbDU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

John Mellencamp named his kids Hud and Speck

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

stealie72 posted:

This is the only good John Mellencamp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QX57aIDbDU

Was gonna post this

I never cared much either way about him, but I always thought the Chris rock line about white people "living in a trailer, eating mayonnaise sandwiches, listening to John cougar mellencamp, and fuckin their sister" was funny as hell

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Suck a chili dog was a sick burn on Doobie's diss track that owned aStarWarBetamax

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I was really happy the Sonic movies kept in references to the weird chili dog thing from the cartoons. What was up with that, anyway? Why does Sonic and pals love chili dogs so much?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

credburn posted:

I was really happy the Sonic movies kept in references to the weird chili dog thing from the cartoons. What was up with that, anyway? Why does Sonic and pals love chili dogs so much?

chili dogs are delicious, why the gently caress is Mario eating mushrooms, they can kill you and even though i don't mind them they are the easiest food to understand people disliking

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

There's a particular version of A Christmas Carol where Patrick Stewart plays Ebeneezer Scrooge. Although I'm a fan of Stewart I did not think he put in his best work for this role. You'd think a Shakespearean actor would nail Scrooge. But since it's Patrick Stewart, I'm sure this adaptation is beloved by TNG fans.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

credburn posted:

the ninja turtles love pizza
beavis and butt-head love nachos
garfield loves lasagna

clearly your cartoon characters need a favorite food

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

wicka posted:

John Mellencamp named his kids Hud and Speck
Hud is the name of a character played by Paul Newman in the eponymous film. Anybody who thinks Hud is the hero and should be emulated is dumb as gently caress.

Still better than Frank Zappa.¹ Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmet² and Diva.

¹Zappa also sucks.
²Ahmet isn't bad.

deoju fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 3, 2024

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

credburn posted:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

There's a particular version of A Christmas Carol where Patrick Stewart plays Ebeneezer Scrooge. Although I'm a fan of Stewart I did not think he put in his best work for this role. You'd think a Shakespearean actor would nail Scrooge. But since it's Patrick Stewart, I'm sure this adaptation is beloved by TNG fans.

The best one was the 1951 version with Alistair Sim.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

He's a good actor and he can play evil but I don't see him as Scrooge. His look I mean. I don't know what the Neez is really supposed to look like but I would not have picked Patrick Stewart for him.

Chief O'Brien on the other hand, I think he could do it. And I don't mean just because his last name is Meaney.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lobok posted:

I don't know what the Neez is really supposed to look like

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I said Scrooge, not Nosferatu.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Muppet Christmas Carol has spoiled me for most other versions of A Christmas Carol, though the Alistair Sim one does go into more detail about Ebeneezer's friendship business relationship with Marley, which I liked. But Michael Caine put a lot of range into Scrooge that I just thought was surprisingly not there in Stewart's interpretation.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Muppet Christmas Carol has spoiled me for most other versions of A Christmas Carol, though the Alistair Sim one does go into more detail about Ebeneezer's friendship business relationship with Marley, which I liked. But Michael Caine put a lot of range into Scrooge that I just thought was surprisingly not there in Stewart's interpretation.

I swear I read very recently, not in detail, that the Muppet version is the closest by far to the Dickens' version. I have no memory of it though.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I swear I read very recently, not in detail, that the Muppet version is the closest by far to the Dickens' version. I have no memory of it though.

That's a pretty widely-shared sentiment that you'll easily find in lot of places. A big part it was the decision to use Gonzo as a stand-in Charles Dickens - a lot of his narration is lifted word-for-word from the original work.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
When I was like 5 years old my extended family had a Christmas Carol themed Christmas Eve party and I had to go as Tiny Tim. My parents made me wear tights for some reason. I remember hating that. Late 80s.

Sorry. Random memory. And my mom, for this Christmas, just gave me the scarf my late dad wore for that party. What a coincidence.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I’m not gonna say I hate it, but Pixar’s Up feels like two separate good and bad movies to me. It has this moving four and a half minute montage of Carl and Ellie’s life together, which in itself would have made a great expanded movie on its own merits and could have also focused on the widowed Carl fending off development and saving his house.

Then it turns to Shitsville with a Boy Scout, a bunch of balloons, a trip to South America, talking dogs who fly airplanes, some dumb bird, and Carl’s boyhood idol who for some reason lives in a dirigible and (gasp!) turns out to be a murderous rear end in a top hat. This is the bad “second” movie.

There is actually more movie afterward, but the “first” movie could have ended with Carl viewing the scrapbook tying everything together nicely and giving him closure and the will to move on. That would have been a perfect movie. Many people call Up one of Pixar’s best, but they’re really only going on the manipulative, but emotionally effective speechless montage. Up is a bad movie with some decent bits in it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

IBroughttheFunk posted:

That's a pretty widely-shared sentiment that you'll easily find in lot of places. A big part it was the decision to use Gonzo as a stand-in Charles Dickens - a lot of his narration is lifted word-for-word from the original work.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Ah well this is the best adaptation anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZBQIsqlpXo

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Alastair Sim is the absolute gold standard for Scrooge. No one else seems to understand how to play the character.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I'm partial to George C. Scott's Scrooge myself.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Letterkenny seems popular but, when I’ve tried to watch it, I’ve only felt intense embarrassment on behalf of everyone involved in its production.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Chrpno posted:

Ah well this is the best adaptation anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZBQIsqlpXo

Oh, that reminds me! I loving hate Ricky Gervais. He has zero wit or comedic timing, can't act, and can't stop himself from giggling at the dumbest poo poo. Including himself.

And then there was the time he hosted the Golden Globes. "Celebrities don't know anything about the real world and shouldn't comment on current affairs."- a celebrity.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I love athf but don't get a whole lot of other adult swim stuff. Perfect hair, Tom goes to the mayor, probably half of what Tim heidecker does. I don't hate it but can't summon any desire to watch it.

That’s a good take, I enjoyed my share of adult swim back in the day but I don’t expect Sealab to hit the same as I am no longer 16. Even now I’ll watch a bit of a product & realize it’s adult swim & yup that’s fine but not for me anymore.

Agreed on Tim Heidecker, definitely talented but his appearances on I Think You Should Leave summarize him well:
-season 1: absolute classic as the jazz loving bad boyfriend
-season 2: terrible overlong skit in a restaurant that goes nowhere
-season 3: solid appearance where he’s not the lead

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

deoju posted:

Oh, that reminds me! I loving hate Ricky Gervais. He has zero wit or comedic timing, can't act, and can't stop himself from giggling at the dumbest poo poo. Including himself.

I’m honestly not sure I’ve ever heard of someone liking Ricky Gervais, versus liking something he’s in, like The Office.

I assume they must be out there due to his inexplicable continued success, but they seem to have the good sense to not advertise their preferences.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If you want to relive the feeling of being a young adult and watching adult swim but actually laugh at it again, I strongly recommend Smiling Friends. It’s like the best evolution of irreverent adult swim humor without “so dumb that it’s funny” being the whole joke.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

You Are A Werewolf posted:

I’m not gonna say I hate it, but Pixar’s Up feels like two separate good and bad movies to me. It has this moving four and a half minute montage of Carl and Ellie’s life together, which in itself would have made a great expanded movie on its own merits and could have also focused on the widowed Carl fending off development and saving his house.

Then it turns to Shitsville with a Boy Scout, a bunch of balloons, a trip to South America, talking dogs who fly airplanes, some dumb bird, and Carl’s boyhood idol who for some reason lives in a dirigible and (gasp!) turns out to be a murderous rear end in a top hat. This is the bad “second” movie.

Yeah, I tried to watch Up and it didn't do a thing for me to keep me wanting to watch it past the first half or so.

The thing thought about the boyhood idol reminds me that a very early 'in development' leak I seem to recall reading for Up almost felt like the character was supposed to be a protagonist of the story.

I remember it saying that the movie was supposed to have a character who was this kind of this Indiana Jones type classic Hollywood adventurer who people stopped caring about. When we catch him as an old man, he's trying to prove his past reputation by having one last adventure and dragging along some disbelieving kid with him. I'd read this probably a few years before the movie came out, so I'm not sure if Pixar changed plans (not uncommon from what I heard of their development process in the 90s/00s) or the leak was fake/mistaken or someone's fanfic prediction based on hearing the premise.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Blue Moonlight posted:

I’m honestly not sure I’ve ever heard of someone liking Ricky Gervais, versus liking something he’s in, like The Office.

I assume they must be out there due to his inexplicable continued success, but they seem to have the good sense to not advertise their preferences.

I think he had some genuinely funny and good acting/writing bits like 20 years back, but that well has long dried up

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Blue Moonlight posted:

Hello, it's me.

Saw Ricky originally on the 11 o' clock show back on the 90's, watched the original Office when it first came out, watched all of Extras and loved it (particularly the scene of Ronnie Corbett doing coke in the bathroom at the baftas), Derek, every single piece of Karl Pilkington content out there.

Heck, I even own Animals and Politics on DVD.

And still I'll admit he's not that great, the Karl Pilkington stuff is funny because of Karl, the Office is a fantastic tv show not because I like Ricky Gervais but because I thought David Brent was a knob. Hey at least he did the character better than Steve Carell, stick to the rubberface Steve it suits you more than the witty British company.

Still, he's a fat weird looking little man from Reading who has made a fortune from making people laugh, you kinda have to admire that. In a way it gives us all hope that even at 40, you can get a big break and make it, LMAO

Plus, young Ricky Gervaise, pretty good looking for British 80's

PS. The Invention of Lying is top 3 worst films I've seen in a cinema easily probably along with Pixels and the Alan Partridge movie

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 3, 2024

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Alan partridge movie was alright

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

deoju posted:

Still better than Frank Zappa.¹ Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmet² and Diva.

¹Zappa also sucks.
²Ahmet isn't bad.

Not just to be contrarian: Zappa as a person was probably tiresome. Zappa as a lyricist is often dumb, though with some fun parts. But the better songs pack in so many fun little musical themes and melodies and variations, and he attracted such fantastic band members (Ruth Underwood :allears: ), that I'll happily ignore all that.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Computer viking posted:

Not just to be contrarian: Zappa as a person was probably tiresome. Zappa as a lyricist is often dumb, though with some fun parts. But the better songs pack in so many fun little musical themes and melodies and variations, and he attracted such fantastic band members (Ruth Underwood :allears: ), that I'll happily ignore all that.

Not to mention Colaiuta, Bozzio, Vai, Ponty, etc. Say what you will about his personality, Zappa's music is beyond reproach and I won't hear otherwise.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm not entirely sure what to make of Zappa. A few of his albums - Absolutely Free, We're Only In It, Sheik Yerbouti - are some of my GOATs. Occasionally Zappa could be really insightful (I agree with him completely about the meddling PMRC). But I'm not sure Zappa was nearly as clever as he sometimes thought he was, and he definitely was the type who was a living embodiment of the Homer meme: "everyone is dumb but me".

Joe's Garage has great music on it but the "story" is a disappointment. It starts off promising, with something to say about censorship, but devolves into some of the crassest stuff he ever did. Not that I'm a prude; Catholic Girls and Stick It Out are great. But they're just sex jokes for the sake of sex jokes.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
John Cougar Mellencamp is more like John Kougar MeinenKKampf if you catch my drift.

I mean probably not, but I liked saying it.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I liked him better when he was John MILF Mellencamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

root beer posted:

I liked him better when he was John MILF Mellencamp

Mellencamp was in his name twice?