Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've been trying to use "yous" more and more. I know it's considered improper language and uncouth but it's not my fuckin problem that English doesn't have a nice second person plural

Every second person plural is considered not just wrong, but actively bad. However, a second person plural is something we need in daily speech. How can these two things be reconciled??

Y'all motherfuckers need "y'all".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you can use it and be understood then the language does have the capability, doesn't matter if the dickheads writing the dictionary disagree.

Yiz/yins/youse/y'all are perfectly good words.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Yall supremacy

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Y'all or even "you all" or even "your all" is the best

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

There just isn't a need for a 2nd person plural pronoun. You're either having a one on one conversation, or addressing a group and 'you' applies to the entire group, or you're addressing an individual within a group, in which case you must've specified that individual by name in the previous sentence and context indicates that 'you' means that particular individual.

If you don't believe me, consider that in places where 'y'all' is common you probably use 'y'all' to address individuals!

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Homonyms are good, actually. They are fundamental to a lot of wordplay, and poetry and comedy would both be vastly poorer without them.
That's a good, convincing argument.

Family Values posted:

There just isn't a need for a 2nd person plural pronoun. You're either having a one on one conversation, or addressing a group and 'you' applies to the entire group, or you're addressing an individual within a group, in which case you must've specified that individual by name in the previous sentence and context indicates that 'you' means that particular individual.
And what do you do if you're talking to an individiual as a proxy for a group ("du, was habt ihr dort gesehen?" is an example which is at best translated to "you, what did y'all see?")?

Family Values posted:

If you don't believe me, consider that in places where 'y'all' is common you probably use 'y'all' to address individuals!
I think those places are garbage places for a garbage people.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 3, 2024

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've never been in a situation where I desperately need a second person plural to differentiate from the singular. But that's your own personal neurosis I guess.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Y'all motherfuckers need "y'all".

That one does sound actively bad.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've never been in a situation where I desperately need a second person plural to differentiate from the singular. But that's your own personal neurosis I guess.
Sorry, was there a cause for a personal attack? It's just really simple in my language, so i use it on an everyday basis without thinking about workarounds or if it's actually needed.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

If you can use it and be understood then the language does have the capability, doesn't matter if the dickheads writing the dictionary disagree.

Yiz/yins/youse/y'all are perfectly good words.

The problem is that those are all regional, and if you don't have the accompanying accent or come from that region, you communicate two things by using those words: Second person plural, and "I'm hamfistedly affecting regional speech patterns."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They're regional insofar as lots of places produce a word on that theme because it's useful to have, if people are going to judge you for using useful words that are perfectly comprehensible then they're just oiks.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ditocoaf posted:

The problem is that those are all regional, and if you don't have the accompanying accent or come from that region, you communicate two things by using those words: Second person plural, and "I'm hamfistedly affecting regional speech patterns."

So what's so regional about "you guys"?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Second person plural is just a natural part of a language it's not right that the most adaptable language doesn't have one

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

So what's so regional about "you guys"?

Nothing, and it's what I use, but it definitely feels like the awkward workaround that it is.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

You are at work. You are worried about what your boss, Jessica, thought about your presentation earlier. You go to get a drink of water. As you walk up to the water cooler, you see that your two best work friends, Mike and Jeff, are standing around it. "Hey," you say to them, "What did <SECOND PERSON PLURAL> think about my presentation earlier? Did Jessica like it?

Now which term do you think should most properly fit in that SECOND PERSON PLURAL box? What would fit there better than a second person plural?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Everyone?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

No, you're trying to speak only to Mike and Jeff only asking them their feelings

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

No, you're trying to speak only to Mike and Jeff only asking them their feelings

Everyone

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Second person plural is just a natural part of a language it's not right that the most adaptable language doesn't have one

Well, "you" is the second person plural. You can still use "thou" if you want in the first person, it's a perfectly valid word.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

You are at work. You are worried about what your boss, Jessica, thought about your presentation earlier. You go to get a drink of water. As you walk up to the water cooler, you see that your two best work friends, Mike and Jeff, are standing around it. "Hey," you say to them, "What did <SECOND PERSON PLURAL> think about my presentation earlier? Did Jessica like it?

Now which term do you think should most properly fit in that SECOND PERSON PLURAL box? What would fit there better than a second person plural?

'What did you think about my...' while making eye contact with both of them. 'You' is the grammatically correct word for that sentence, and I doubt that Mike or Jeff would be confused or unsure if I wanted their opinion. If for some reason I only wanted one of their opinions I would say 'Hey Mike, what did you think about my...'

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The real pronoun we need is inclusive/exclusive first person plural. When I tell my wife that "we're going out", it sure would be nice not having to explain that she is not part of the we.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Family Values posted:

That's why there's both "y'all" and "all y'all"

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

I myself am not sure what it refers to and kind of doubt the accuracy of this map, but I'm not a linguistic expert. I wouldn't put it past Dutch, the ultimate splittist language despite being spoken by about twenty people worldwide, and itself having started out as German for special snowflakes, to somehow be in three different categories at once.

Flipperwaldt posted:

De tafel heeft lange poten. Haar poten zijn lang. De wagen rijdt snel. Hij rijdt snel. Deze vork is krom. Gooi hem in de vuilnisbak. De regering draait haar eerdere beslissing terug.

From two pages back, but yes, in theory Dutch still has three grammatical genders, but masculine/feminine are rapidly merging into a common. Most speakers of Dutch (in the Netherlands) don't know whether a non-neuter word is masculine or feminine anymore unless it specifically refers to a person. For instance, Flipperwaldt used the masculine gender for 'vork' (fork) in a demonstration he still knew the correct genders for nouns, but the preferred gender for 'vork' is actually feminine! The evolution to a common gender is made easy by the fact that both masculine and feminine nouns have the same definite article ('de') while that for neuter nouns is distinct ('het').

The change is going slower in Flanders because many local dialects still retain a clearer masculine-feminine distinction on account of their indefinite articles being different ('ee(n)' for feminine nouns and 'ne' for masculine nouns - Dutch people who attempt Flemish impersonations tend to use 'ne' everywhere, but this is wrong).

Interestingly, if native speakers of Dutch don't know whether a word is masculine or feminine, the Dutch seem to default more easily to masculine while Flemings default to feminine. In many cases, both will be considered correct nowadays.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

I

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Family Values posted:

'What did you think about my...' while making eye contact with both of them. 'You' is the grammatically correct word for that sentence, and I doubt that Mike or Jeff would be confused or unsure if I wanted their opinion. If for some reason I only wanted one of their opinions I would say 'Hey Mike, what did you think about my...'

I say y’all, and Mike and Jeff are weirded out if I speak the King’s

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i would say, ‘what did you two think…’ just to be quick and explicit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

jeebus bob posted:

How do they feel about Russia?

Literally the most pro-Russia party in every poll and vote ever but claim to be patriotic. I.e. a fifth column like all Nazi parties.

?

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 3, 2024

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Literally the most pro-Russia party in every poll and vote ever but claim to be patriotic. I.e. a fifth column like all Nazi parties.

?

lol @ Portugal, europa oriental as always

lol at Suomi for being the ballsack of the dumbest countries that exist lmao

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Y'all is the worst because it's a contraction of 'you all', and 'all' is a counting word and cannot be (correctly) used that way. Expand any sentence with y'all – 'I want to thank y'all' becomes 'I want to thank you all' – and then try to use any other counting word in the same spot: 'I want to thank you some' or 'I want to thank you most'. The counting words become ambiguous. The correct structure would be 'I want to thank {some, most, all} of you'.

At least yinze and youse are unique dialect inventions instead of the abomination that is y'all.

:goonsay:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Family Values posted:

Y'all is the worst because it's a contraction of 'you all', and 'all' is a counting word and cannot be (correctly) used that way. Expand any sentence with y'all – 'I want to thank y'all' becomes 'I want to thank you all' – and then try to use any other counting word in the same spot: 'I want to thank you some' or 'I want to thank you most'. The counting words become ambiguous. The correct structure would be 'I want to thank {some, most, all} of you'.

At least yinze and youse are unique dialect inventions instead of the abomination that is y'all.

Prescriptivists gtfo

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

Prescriptivists gtfo

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Badger of Basra posted:

Y'all pPrescriptivists gtfo

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Lemniscate Blue posted:

*Y'all pPrescriptivists gtfo

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

These types of maps really need to use striped colors more. "You guys" is definitely common in the south to say to a group of people. Y’all and "you all" are definitely more common and it avoids older women getting bothered by "guys" shifting from masculine to neutral, but you guys is not exotic. I tend to say "you all," doesn’t seem like a Kentucky-specific thing to me.

Never heard someone say youse, but I’d understand it at least. Never in my entire life even heard of "yinz" as a thing and would not understand that.

E: guys is kind of weird now that I think about it. If I were talking to a mixed-gender or all-female group of people I’d say "what can I get you guys?" but if I was talking to someone and referring to a separate group of people, I don’t think I’d say "see those guys over there?" unless the people over there were all male. And then singular "guy" is definitely always masculine.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 3, 2024

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Groda posted:

*All yY’all pPrescriptivists gtfo

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

As a non-native speaker of English, "y'all" is extremely convenient and "youse/yinz/yiff" are too silly.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Negostrike posted:

As a non-native speaker of English, "y'all" is extremely convenient and "youse/yinz/yiff" are too silly.

Seriously. I'm gonna slap the person saying those ones.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Family Values posted:

Now tell us how you answer if someone asks "who is it?" when you knock on a door

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Saladman posted:

Never heard someone say youse, but I’d understand it at least. Never in my entire life even heard of "yinz" as a thing and would not understand that.

it is explicitly a pittsburgh-area thing. great town, but there's some weird stuff in the water.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I have a beautiful southern accent and when i say yall its like pearls falling from my mouth.