Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Shard posted:

did the final list get compiled yet?

Nope, not until next week IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Anno posted:

But my most anticipated game is Caves of Qud finally hitting 1.0.
*doomguy banging table gif*

DWARF

FORTRESS

ADVENTURE

MODE

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Shard posted:

Yeah. Street Fighter 6 won 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Crazy stuff.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

https://store.steampowered.com/steamawards/?snr=1_stats_7001__12

Starfield won Most Innovative Gameplay award, Red Dead Redemption 2 won Labor of Love, and Last of Us part 1 won Best Soundtrack

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah the steam awards are a joke and very easily manipulated we know

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

not even trying to insult the winners but I have to believe some of those were the results of sarcastic troll campaigns. Like, RDR2 isn't even receiving updates anymore, so it winning a "best ongoing" category is... questionable

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
My 2024 Most Anticipated From The Wishlist

The Rise of the Golden Idol

More of The Curse of Golden Idol but set in the 70s. Nuff said.

Horizon Forbidden West™ Complete Edition

The first Horizon game impressed the hell out of me with its writing so I'm all on board with the continuation. Although I might slow gamer this one for after buying a new computer, however many years down the track. RIP Lance Reddick.

DAEMON MASQUERADE

This deduction game where you hunt down malign demonic influence in various cases impressed me with a wealth of documents and materials to sort through in its Nextfest demo.

Moonlight Pulse

Vision Soft Reset was a somewhat janky but very ambitious and creative metroidvania. I'm eagerly anticipating a more professional and polished follow up from a larger team.

Earthblade

Hell yeah, more platforming from the creators of Celeste! Even better, the game seems to be taking more than a few cues from Knytt (one of the best ever exploration platformers).

Europa

I'm always up for some exploration adventure with smooth platforming, even if this one looks like it might have an important and emotionally meaningful message in its story.

Fields of Mistria

All I know is that the team behind https://johnnywander.com/ are working on this farm/life sim and that's pretty good indication of quality.

Pro Philosopher 2: Governments & Grievances

The team behind surprise thread hit, Elisnore, are returning with a sequel to their first hit Socrates Jones: Pro Philosopher, a lightly Ace Attorney styled game about philosophy.

Solium Infernum

The stakes couldn't be higher for this high production value adaptation of an old virtual boardgame because if this flops the studio will almost certainly close down. A big sentimental fave for me as I really loved the games of Vic Davis and it comes from the creators of Armello.

Nine Sols

Who needs Silksong when Nine Sols is coming out, the early impressions were very very favourable and I'm beyond glad that Taiwanese devs, Red Candle are still making games and putting them on Steam after the debacle of the whole Winnie Pool false controversy.

Perfect Tides: Station to Station

All cards on the table I backed the kickstarter for this sequel to my 2022 game of the year Perfect Tides. This time instead of following high school teenage dysfunction in excruciating detail will be about being a budding creative trying to survive college in New York City. Meredith Gran promises that there will be significant impacts to your decisions which I'm dreading.

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth

Finally, we get back to Ichi.

Islands of Insight

"What if the Witness was passively an MMO?" Already made my top ten this year, can't wait for the full release.

Cradlemoor

FMV DEDUCTION GAME! "Story persists over multiple playthroughs"! "hours of film, files and documents"! Sign me the gently caress up!

Isles of Sea and Sky

A mix of metroidvania and zelda, but purely a puzzle game. I've played the demo multiple times and enjoyed my time with it every single time. It's going to be a tough time for this not to be my puzzle game of the year.

Open Roads

Genuinely curious what this game will be like after the entire dev team kicked Steve Gaynor off the project. It's not even listed as being published by Fullbright any more, just Open Roads Team.

Primarch

In certain circles the reputation of single player autobattler, Astronach, is unimpeachable. This follow up is focused on an individual hero rather than a team.

The Mermaid's Tongue

The Detective Grimoire series of Ace Attorney-likes has gone from strength to strength, let's see if the third entry continues the streak.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 3, 2024

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

fez_machine posted:

Moonlight Pulse

Vision Soft Reset was a somewhat janky but very ambitious and creative metroidvania. I'm eagerly anticipating a more professional and polished follow up from a larger team.

I'd been passing on posting a "what I'm looking forward to" list simply because my backlog is so huge that I don't plan to play any games released in 2024 in 2024, but if the Vision Soft Reset devs are making another game? That may be a day-one purchase for me. I will never stop screaming about how incredibly good VSR was.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fez_machine posted:

My 2024 Most Anticipated From The Wishlist

The Rise of the Golden Idol
DAEMON MASQUERADE
Earthblade
Nine Sols
Perfect Tides: Station to Station
Islands of Insight
Cradlemoor
Isles of Sea and Sky
The Mermaid's Tongue
yes on these as well. demon masquerade demo had wonky art but was interesting. nine sols should be great. hopefully earthblade is 2024. the first perfect tides was incredible. I still have the demo of Isles of Sea and Sky when it was called Akurra and included in an itchio bundle. islands of insight i haven't played but it gives off major Myst Uru vibes to me

there's also Mina the Hollower from yacht club which I forgot about but obviously i'm interested in that

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks to everybody who posted lists this year, I found out about a lot of games that just sailed right under my radar. I didn't realize this thread was a regular thing (I don't really post in this forum with any regularity, though maybe I should) so it was cool to see all the thought and effort that people put into their lists.

And a second thank you to everybody posting their anticipated games for 2024. Is there just like... a thread where people post about cool new games that came out? I've lost a lot of faith/respect for most game news outlets and haven't had much luck finding any that are a good source for "hey this cool thing just came out" kind of news without having to sift through a bunch of "The greatest RAM of 2023 just went on sale, here are twelve affiliate links" articles in the process.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

Is there just like... a thread where people post about cool new games that came out? I've lost a lot of faith/respect for most game news outlets and haven't had much luck finding any that are a good source for "hey this cool thing just came out" kind of news without having to sift through a bunch of "The greatest RAM of 2023 just went on sale, here are twelve affiliate links" articles in the process.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901275

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

MockingQuantum posted:

Thanks to everybody who posted lists this year, I found out about a lot of games that just sailed right under my radar. I didn't realize this thread was a regular thing (I don't really post in this forum with any regularity, though maybe I should) so it was cool to see all the thought and effort that people put into their lists.

And a second thank you to everybody posting their anticipated games for 2024. Is there just like... a thread where people post about cool new games that came out? I've lost a lot of faith/respect for most game news outlets and haven't had much luck finding any that are a good source for "hey this cool thing just came out" kind of news without having to sift through a bunch of "The greatest RAM of 2023 just went on sale, here are twelve affiliate links" articles in the process.

While a lot of the people in genre threads post about new stuff in their particular niche coming out, or the Steam thread generally, I think you're primarily looking for the Fresh Releases thread which is purpose built for this. I'd probably check the Steam thread just as much, though, tbh.

Edit: Beaten, but still think it's worth mentioning the others anyway.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Jossar posted:

While a lot of the people in genre threads post about new stuff in their particular niche coming out, or the Steam thread generally, I think you're primarily looking for the Fresh Releases thread which is purpose built for this. I'd probably check the Steam thread just as much, though, tbh.

Edit: Beaten, but still think it's worth mentioning the others anyway.

Fantastic, thank you! It's stickied and everything, I'm apparently just blind

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Games I'll be picking up in 2024 based off this thread:

Pizza Tower
Hi Fi Rush
Bomb rush Cyberfunk
RE4 Remake
Lies of P

fridge corn posted:

Game of the Year 2023

just gotta say, I'm reading the thread and I absolutely love this post.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 3, 2024

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

fez_machine posted:

Cradlemoor

FMV DEDUCTION GAME! "Story persists over multiple playthroughs"! "hours of film, files and documents"! Sign me the gently caress up!

Ooh, I got excited for a second that this was that game that Jesse Cox is working on that's supposed to be the spiritual successor of Contradiction (or something), but this looks pretty cool!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
bless every fmv detective game that comes out till the end of time, truly doing heaven's work

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My top 10 weapons in Armored Core 6

10: Chainsaw
It's a chainsaw. A big one.

9: Laser rifle
Lightweight, fast, can snipe MTs across the map.

8: Pilebunker
I didn't use this very much tbh, but I put it at number 8 because of my respect of it.

7: Pulse blade
Ol' Reliable (melee)

6. Linear rifles
Ol' Reliable (ranged)

5. Shoulder laser cannons
For when you really want to blind your enemies while blasting off their faces.

4. Stun needle launcher
It's hosed up that a story mission-mandatory weapon is this good. Very satisfying to shoot enemies with, big chunky booms.

3. Miniguns (both arms and shoulders)
Becoming Gundam Heavyarms was all I really wanted ever since I heard about this game and I'm glad that I could.

2. Duckett pistols
It's a Desert Eagle but for your AC.

1. Laser slicer
As featured by my best buddy V.IV Rusty. You can Darth Maul spin your way into a staggered light AC's face and with an Assault Armor combo and Basho arms equipped you're pretty much guaranteed to kill it before it can recover and use repair kits. Spin2Win.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Shard posted:

I can safely say that due to my workload outside of forums, that the revealing event will be the Satruday the 13th, starting at 2:00pm UK time and probably go on for a few hours. :)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

:hai:

Snooze Cruise posted:

same but also

:hai:

Why are both these games releasing within 2 days of each other :negative:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

The REAL Goobusters posted:

just gotta say, I'm reading the thread and I absolutely love this post.

Thanks! I had a lot of fun writing it, and a lot of fun playing games last year :D

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
Here are the top 6 ways you will lose in Against the Storm - particularly at higher difficulties but applicable at all times.

Why? Because Against the Storm is amazing and this lets me talk about it whilst riding the train and hopefully help a fellow out in their journey. Its also mostly what I've learned over a couple hundred hours.

6. Not respecting the Blightrot

Burn it. Burn it all. Expect it. Prepare for it. Blightrot seems like nothing but so many settlements will be lost due to hubris or being just about prepared instead of overprepared.

5. No Humans

Humans are ridiculous. They can farm like nobody else, drink ale and can survive the storm longer than most other Races simply because they don't really give a drat. No humans means farming and flour becomes a lot harder, requiring more of the resources Humans excel at gathering anyway.

They also ensure you find some farmable land.

The only biome Humans aren't super good in is the Marshlands, simply because there's just less farmland available there. Theyre still excellent in the Marshlands regardless though.

4. No Beavers

Except for one Biome, Beavers are the only way to ensure you're able to produce enough wood. Beavers dont cut trees so much as mow them down and wood is everything in Against the Storm.

The Royal Woodland Biome is the only place where Beavers are less useful, simply because wood is so abundant there.

3. No 2* or better Plank recipe

Wood is the fuel that keeps a settlement running but Planks are the combustion engine for that fuel.

A good way of making Planks is so important because Planks cost a lot of wood and are needed for basically everything. If you cant make efficient planks then you'll be using the wood you collect faster than you can gather it. You could combat this with more woodcutters, but then that will increase hostility so isnt a great idea.

2. No Complex food or porridge

Complex food isnt just there to help boost the resolve of your settlement - its also way better in terms of how much food you have available. Not having Complex food after the fourth year is a sure sign that starvation is likely about to start creeping in and people will start leaving during the Storm because seriously man, can't we at least have porridge?

Porridge is the answer to when you're just not rolling the blueprints you need. Everyone likes porridge but Humans and Foxes love the stuff. Its just a bit of grain, mushroom, herbs or berries mixed in with some water, after all.

Get the folks in your settlement some porridge and ensure they have that Ready Brek glow year round.

1. No way of lowering Hostility

The forest hates you and will come for you eventually. Unless you can give it some peace offerings every now and then.

Cornerstones that lower hostility for selling lots of goods via trade routes and burning blightrot cysts are the ones to hope for, but in a pinch anything will do.

Of course, all of these things on their own arent necessarily enough to create a failure state, but you can be sure that these are usually the points of entry for the cascade to start.

Go play Against the Storm.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
nice 2024 upcoming games lists from this thread. my wishlist keeps swelling. here's mine:

most anticipated 2024 games (that haven't already been mentioned)

Tekken 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsCpewoF2E4

heihachi's great great great grand daughter, reina, was trained by a bear (kuma), who heihachi adopted and taught mishima style karate. kuma was the only relative heihachi loved/didn't want to murder.

idk if that's true but it feels like it's true because tekken is wild.

Dragon's Dogma 2

if this game can fulfill even a quarter of the promise from the first game, it will be incredible. if it can't, it will probably still be an amazing monster combat simulator where you climb all over a dozen kinds of monsters to stab them in the eye(s). and it will most definitely have a bonkers story.

Shiren the Wanderer: The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil Island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T48W-87_eiU

it's a new shiren and it's probably gonna be great. this series is a masterclass in the 'wide as an ocean, deep as the marianas trench' school of game design where you have an insane number of viable strategies, and all of those strategies can go deep into the brain tank with the amount of interacting systems and mechanics the game has. but you can also find the most effective ones, use the meta-progression item storage to build yourself up over several runs, and then bulldoze the main story with your overpowered stuff. but then some of the post-game dungeons are not only harder, but make you start them completely fresh. this is assuming the game works as the previous ones have, which i assume it does.

Elation for the Wonder Box 6000

claymation adventure game about finding a video game from your youth.

Felvidek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeZQDJy3JrI

this is somehow an RPG maker game? it looks janky but really cool. set in 15th century hungary while the ottomans were ottomanning all over. felvidek i assume is hungarian for 'oh poo poo is that the ottomans?'

Octopus City Blues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0qtMezQt08

not even sure what this is but it looks cool as hell

V.A. Proxy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svLgZecBF1A

my kinda jank. not even sure this is coming in 2024 but i think it is? hard to know with some of these games.

games i'm praying will leave early access

dread delusion

morrowind-lite. i played the demo and it felt like an exceptional game in the making. i was taking in by the vibes immediately and i really liked its approach to RPG stuff, which was a very light touch with most of the game being about exploration.

death trash

fallout (1&2)-lite, but real time and set in the fleshworld apocalypse. another one i played the demo of, and had to turn it off because i wanted to leave as much of the game unspoiled as possible for 1.0.

ultrakill

i played the demo of this and you won't guess it but instantly hooked and dying to play the full thing. really sublime, ultra fast-paced gameplay. kind of like what i wanted doom eternal to be.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Top ten Deep Rock Galactic voice lines:
1. If you don't rock and stone, you ain't comin' home
2. Rock me like a stone!
3. When you rock and stone, you're never alone
4. If I was a piece of crap antenna node, where would I be?
5. ROCK.... AND.... STOOOOOONE!
6. For those about to rock and stone, we salute you!
7. Did I hear a rock and stone?
8. FOR KARL!
9. Die like your mother did!
10. I hate nature.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

I forgot if you don't mind a pure volume approach, I regularly check in with The Best Indie Games channel on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@ClemmyGames

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

dread delusion

morrowind-lite. i played the demo and it felt like an exceptional game in the making. i was taking in by the vibes immediately and i really liked its approach to RPG stuff, which was a very light touch with most of the game being about exploration.

Dread Delusion is extremely exciting. It just needs a tad more meat on it's bones and it's there. The writing is low-key phenomenal. I'll just be minding my own business and someone will drop dialogue about butcher archivists hunting library whales, or ghoul scientists inventing ethical cannibalism.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Dread Delusion also has the dev who made Lunacid as one of the lead level/environment designers. I don’t play games until they come out of early access, but I am very much looking forward to jumping on that one when it’s ready.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Everybody loves Bethesda bugs, so if we're doing top 10 lists, here's my favourite 10 features from this year's official Most Innovative Game, Starfield!

10. Companions getting stuck in a hallway, but still interjecting into your conversation from hundreds of metres away
9. Asteroids permanently sticking to your ship
8. Characters getting stuck with their eyes permanently bulging out
7. Characters getting stuck with their eyes permanently closed
6. Ships attached to a major space station spinning crazily like figure skaters
5. Repainting your spaceship completely rearranges the interior, including the layout of ladders and internal doors
4. Progressing a certain quest completely resets the main city, which also means any decorations or loot you've placed in your apartment gets deleted
3. Critical quest NPCs spawning permanently off the map, rendering some quests uncompleteable and vendors entirely unavailable for the rest of the game
2. Enemy spaceships only targeting the 0,0,0 centre of your ship, so if you build a ring-shaped spaceship, enemies can literally never hit you
1. Random NPCs attempting to talk to you while you're in a cutscene, meaning they run straight up to you and glare awkwardly while you're having a conversation

I actually didn't mind Starfield - it's not a good game, but someone called it a controversial 7/10 and imo that's about right. I enjoyed most of the 80 hours I spent in-game, but I was definitely ready to drop it by the end.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Foul Fowl posted:

Shiren the Wanderer: The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil Island
Aw hell yeah there’s my guy.

Trying not to buy any games this year but already carved out an exception for Shiren.

and Balatro. And Unicorn Overlord. And Splatoon 3: Side Order. And Pony Island 2. And anything Zachtronics. And-

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

fez_machine posted:

Open Roads

Genuinely curious what this game will be like after the entire dev team kicked Steve Gaynor off the project. It's not even listed as being published by Fullbright any more, just Open Roads Team.

I was flipping through my Steam wishlist and shocked to see this finally had a listed release date (February), I kinda assumed it was never ever coming out. Curious to see what happens with it, I'm still hopeful.

I was similarly shocked when I started getting "Fullbright" newsletters again, but discovered they're from *just* Gaynor, who retained the branding and I guess the distro list. Unsubscribed real fast!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The 7th Guest posted:

alright, here are games I'm looking forward to in 2024!

Hey just wanna let you know I think most of your images aren't lined up near the descriptions of the correct games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

my most anticipated game is Visions of Mana and they'll have to gently caress up something fierce if it's not on my list considering I liked Dawn of Mana

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

webmeister posted:

Everybody loves Bethesda bugs, so if we're doing top 10 lists, here's my favourite 10 features from this year's official Most Innovative Game, Starfield!

10. Companions getting stuck in a hallway, but still interjecting into your conversation from hundreds of metres away
9. Asteroids permanently sticking to your ship
8. Characters getting stuck with their eyes permanently bulging out
7. Characters getting stuck with their eyes permanently closed
6. Ships attached to a major space station spinning crazily like figure skaters
5. Repainting your spaceship completely rearranges the interior, including the layout of ladders and internal doors
4. Progressing a certain quest completely resets the main city, which also means any decorations or loot you've placed in your apartment gets deleted
3. Critical quest NPCs spawning permanently off the map, rendering some quests uncompleteable and vendors entirely unavailable for the rest of the game
2. Enemy spaceships only targeting the 0,0,0 centre of your ship, so if you build a ring-shaped spaceship, enemies can literally never hit you
1. Random NPCs attempting to talk to you while you're in a cutscene, meaning they run straight up to you and glare awkwardly while you're having a conversation

I actually didn't mind Starfield - it's not a good game, but someone called it a controversial 7/10 and imo that's about right. I enjoyed most of the 80 hours I spent in-game, but I was definitely ready to drop it by the end.

This list made me laugh out loud. Never change, silly video game bugs, never change. :allears:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

iTrust posted:

Go play Against the Storm.

This fuckin game has crawled into my brain and taken up residence in a way that hasn't really happened since HOMM3. This year is gonna have to top last year to kick it off my GOTY list and nothing has even come out yet.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Well ladies and fellas, thank you for the excellent writeups. You have just sold:

1 copy of Pentiment
1 copy of Slay the Princess
1 copy of Six Ages 2
1 copy of Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

I just got done clicking "Purchase for myself" for all of them! I'm also going to take another crack at Against the Storm since I bounced off it hard but think that was due to my precarious mental state at the time.

If you're interested in weird strategy games give Shadows of Forbidden Gods a look, it went 1.0 a while back and it's interesting. I'd like to have to Lay Low a lot less, but when that Holy Order you've been enshadowing the entire game with every hero on the loving planet hovering around consecrating finally tells its followers "Raising the dead as vampires is the will of God" it feels loving great.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I played through a bunch of Curse of the Golden Idol last night and it rules I’d happily play more of this every few months (or as fast as they can crank them out without making it bad)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

JonathonSpectre posted:

1 copy of Six Ages 2

Hell yeah

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

wuggles posted:

Ok I finished reading skimming the thread and VG put Mario Sunshine ahead of 3D World?!?!?

He's right

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

JonathonSpectre posted:

1 copy of Pentiment

Hell yeah

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The universal law of me being broke during Steam Sales continues but I'm still excited to pick up some games when I get paid even if it's after the sale is over. Lunacid & Talos Principle 2 are the big ones on my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

I played through a bunch of Curse of the Golden Idol last night and it rules I’d happily play more of this every few months (or as fast as they can crank them out without making it bad)

It's "CASE" of the golden idol!!

I knew that title was asking for trouble the second i first read it!