Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I used to go to the pub with my bezzie mate when I was 17 & she was 19. I always had to go to the bar because at over 6ft in my heels (which I could wear then!) they assumed I was old enough, whereas she was only 4ft 10 (and they wouldn't serve her). (Yes, at school doing prefect duty we were nicknamed Laurel & Hardy by the lower ranks).

The whole judging kids' ages by eg facial hair or whatever is so wrong: a place I worked with a lot of boys from Greek, Middle Eastern, & Asian backgrounds, a lot of them had a lot of facial hair even as young as 13.

Snipe:

98This is a really lovely song & vid & has that clown Bad Eel in it (I think)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyoy2_7FegI

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fuctifino posted:

Certain cesspit corners of the internet have been mocking and shaming him hard, forgetting that he's still a 16 year old kid. Just be thankful none of that has popped up on your feeds

Aye, I can understand that. I just came at it at the perspective of literally thinking "well, if I worked in a bar or shop I'd serve him without even thinking of asking for ID". I got told I looked 35 when I was in my early 20s, didn't really think much of it at the time but just because it didn't bother me doesn't mean it wouldn't bother someone else.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I used to go to the pub with my bezzie mate when I was 17 & she was 19. I always had to go to the bar because at over 6ft in my heels (which I could wear then!) they assumed I was old enough, whereas she was only 4ft 10 (and they wouldn't serve her). (Yes, at school doing prefect duty we were nicknamed Laurel & Hardy by the lower ranks).

The whole judging kids' ages by eg facial hair or whatever is so wrong: a place I worked with a lot of boys from Greek, Middle Eastern, & Asian backgrounds, a lot of them had a lot of facial hair even as young as 13.

Snipe:

98This is a really lovely song & vid & has that clown Bad Eel in it (I think)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyoy2_7FegI

I clicked on it assuming he'd done another song but no, it's the worst song of all-time (OK, it's not. Mull of Kintyre is worse. Or Temporary Secretary. And We All Stand Together is definitely worse. Ob-La-Di Ob-La Da. Christ, McCartney is kind of magical for how many absolute stinkers he's delivered considering he's also written some all-time classics)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

feedmegin posted:

Surprised no one's mentioned For All Mankind yet. The early parts at least are pretty grounded (it fast forwards like a decade every season) and some of the background alternate history stuff can be amusing. Plus :ussr: is still around (and the point of divergence is they land on the moon first), possibly relevant in the UK Marxism Thread ;p

Is it worth getting hold of? I've downloaded a few series in the past and abandoned them eg Outlander (watched whole of series 1 but Miss Goody Two Shoes was getting on my nerves by the end - my niece implores me to persist - says she improves in the following series - but I haven't done so yet).

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Maugrim posted:

My wife and I have attempted to get into the Expanse twice so far and we can only conclude that it is a slow starter as we've rapidly lost interest both times. What makes it good?

The first 3 episodes were a bit poo poo and I was basically giving it "one last go" on episode 4, but episode 4 is where things really kick off and I was hooked after that.

I think part of it was that (episode 3/4 spoilers:) Miller's sidekick, and Miller's relationship with said sidekick, started off being very cheesy and trope-y and I was thinking that this was gonna be like some cheesy buddy-cop-in-space thing... but then the partner dies and also poo poo gets real in other parts of the story right around the same time and I was like "Ohhhh, this is good now".

I agree with everything Jakabite says about it. It's just very well-written and acted, they do suspense and action very well, there are a number of characters who are just excellent - both long-term members and those who only show up for a short while.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is it worth getting hold of? I've downloaded a few series in the past and abandoned them eg Outlander (watched whole of series 1 but Miss Goody Two Shoes was getting on my nerves by the end - my niece implores me to persist - says she improves in the following series - but I haven't done so yet).

Disclaimer: I am a gigantic politics nerd, so the show's premise sold me immediately. That said, it's decent enough teevee where the quality kind of drops at the third season. We're now at season 4 with 2 episodes left. It's better than the previous season in my opinion but the main criticism I and some folks over at the TVIV persists, the show focuses on the people drama a bit too much at the expense of alternative history / cool space stuff. That said, there is cool space stuff in the earlier seasons a-plenty, and their version of the 60's to 80's time-line is interesting.

The show also gets a huge plus from me personally for having a 2-minute scene which perfectly encapsulated the logic of MAD as one would explain it to an 8-year-old, but that's just me and my Dr Strangelove sense of humour :ohdear:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

fuctifino posted:

We can all agree that Rebel Moon is totally poo poo, right?

no, i don't think we can. And why would you be particularly interested in achieving such an accord anyway?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Today I'm going to watch the B5 cartoonthat came out last year featuring (some of?) the surviving cast

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

fuctifino posted:

Nice thread you've got here. Would be a shame if someone put 10+ pages of Zack Snyder discourse in it.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/edcmpbl/status/1742257750988447824?t=oam1fWtZrp35N3Y8rA3Jaw&s=19

:psyduck:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

fuctifino posted:

I cannot agree for I have never seen it and I never will.

e: Well I guess that's a bit like claiming I will never be in a traffic accident.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I think it makes the 16 year old darts player thing more ripe for humour that it’s darts of all sports too. Like, of course it’s darts. All the other sports have these waif-like, hairless, super athletic young prodigies and darts gets a kid who looks about 35, it’s just too on the nose to not be quite funny. No need to be mean about it like. I’d imagine anyone being horrible isn’t likely to be winning any prizes for pretty much anything any time soon.

Apparently Scavengers’ Reign is good but there’s only one way to watch it in the UK IF YA CATCH MY DRIFT

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
oh yeah if you can get a hold of it scavenger's reign kicks rear end

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZiW43ld-_Y

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

josh04 posted:

Nice thread you've got here. Would be a shame if someone put 10+ pages of Zack Snyder discourse in it.

Wait, why would there be pages of Snyder discourse? What discourse is there aside from the fact he's a terrible filmmaker? Is this a superhero movie thing or are there actually rabid defenders of Sucker Punch?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

*logs off for day*

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Wait, why would there be pages of Snyder discourse? What discourse is there aside from the fact he's a terrible filmmaker? Is this a superhero movie thing or are there actually rabid defenders of Sucker Punch?
Nothing mentioned in this thread so far is as good as Oscar Isaac performing "Love is the Drug" in Sucker Punch.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:allears:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol it's still sci-fi chat

briefly interrupted by the wee darts lad

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I'm not really bothered about Snydars films, they are incredibly average. But one day he is finally going to make that Ayn Rand adaptation he's being trying to do for years and it will be down to all those weird defenders of his that he was able to.

Millions of libertarians will be released upon the world.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Snyder's Fountainhead will be the horniest movie ever made and instead of Libertarians it will produce a plague of people who literally want to gently caress buildings.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know absolutely nothing about this person other than I get the vague impression they make very long films so I am assuming that's just going to be galtse.mp4.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Just wait for the Snyder Cut.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

For All Mankind is probably the best show I've watched since The Americans. The first two seasons of FAM are legit incredible and some episodes are a masterclass in how to build tension or drop a surprise twist. Not watched season 4 yet, but season 3 isn't quite as good as the first two. It's kind of getting slightly less interesting as it goes, because it's becoming more of a sci-fi show than cool alt-history but it's definitely worth it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We're off to Rebel Moon.
We'll follow Mr 'spoons.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut posted:

We're off to Rebel Moon.
We'll follow Mr 'spoons.

Sir Mr Spoons now

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The best Snyder cut is when you cut all the scenes filmed by Zack Snyder, and then stop making films altogether about superheros.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Person travels on boat to island looking for a better life and decides to stay

(Islam is the second largest religion in Thailand)

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm not really bothered about Snydars films, they are incredibly average. But one day he is finally going to make that Ayn Rand adaptation he's being trying to do for years and it will be down to all those weird defenders of his that he was able to.

Millions of libertarians will be released upon the world.
I've seen far too many people claim that he drove his daughter to suicide. Not through any evidence, but because they dislike him because of his superhero movies. Snyder haters are far loving weirder than the people that like him.

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

Babs 5 is the version where everyone is played by barbara windsor.

There is some sage advice I read on this forum about watching scifi shows, which is watch them, all of them, yes even the crap episodes, what else are you going to do with your time? If nerds keep banging on about B5 or Trek or the Expanse, there's usually a good reason.

We've been rewatching (remastered) TOS and TNG for the umpteenth time then went on to watch (1 episode a day): DS9 followed by B5 followed by Farscape, which were all new to us or had seen the odd episode decades ago. That's a hell of a run of great classic scifi with a decent mix of episodic and serialised story lines. There's also some meta enjoyment from observing the evolution in the visuals as they progress from 100% physical/optical to increasingly realistic CG, B5 in particular shows just how quickly things were changing back then.

I'm both kicking myself for not having watched them earlier but also thanking myself that I didn't because being able to watch them in HD, with no skipped or missing episodes, and a better head on my shoulders I can now appreciate them far better than catching the odd episode on the family TV.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I know absolutely nothing about this person other than I get the vague impression they make very long films so I am assuming that's just going to be galtse.mp4.

Your complete ignorance of popular culture is impressive. Like, I'd expect you to have heard of Snyder in passing at least.

Lemurtron posted:

There is some sage advice I read on this forum about watching scifi shows, which is watch them, all of them, yes even the crap episodes, what else are you going to do with your time?

Watch wrestling. Watch Japanese wrestling. And post about it in Something Awful's wrestling subforum PSP's Puroresu thread.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 3, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Your complete ignorance of popular culture is impressive. Like, I'd expect you to have heard of Snyder in passing at least.

I mean I gather he's a director and he does marvel movies or something, and the movies are very long or something? But that's about it.

So that probably makes him well suited to adapt ayn rand, interminable speeches and absurdly unrealistic characters.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

smellmycheese posted:

Person travels on boat to island looking for a better life and decides to stay

(Islam is the second largest religion in Thailand)

of all my deeply hated ideological foes, of which there are many, i don't think i've ever gone on vacation and had any of them top of mind at any point

get to the top of a mountain and post "ah, no cryptobros up here!", it boggles the mind

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

forkboy84 posted:

owlfanciers level of media engagement is one of those spinny centrifuge things with holes in the side you can peer through to see a looped moving image of a horse silhouette jumping over a fence

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Lemurtron posted:

There is some sage advice I read on this forum about watching scifi shows, which is watch them, all of them, yes even the crap episodes, what else are you going to do with your time? If nerds keep banging on about B5 or Trek or the Expanse, there's usually a good reason.

We've been rewatching (remastered) TOS and TNG for the umpteenth time then went on to watch (1 episode a day): DS9 followed by B5 followed by Farscape, which were all new to us or had seen the odd episode decades ago. That's a hell of a run of great classic scifi with a decent mix of episodic and serialised story lines. There's also some meta enjoyment from observing the evolution in the visuals as they progress from 100% physical/optical to increasingly realistic CG, B5 in particular shows just how quickly things were changing back then.

I'm both kicking myself for not having watched them earlier but also thanking myself that I didn't because being able to watch them in HD, with no skipped or missing episodes, and a better head on my shoulders I can now appreciate them far better than catching the odd episode on the family TV.

I'd have totally missed out if I skipped the first two seasons of DS9 as some people advised; they're a little cheap but overall still a great watch. Conversely, the first season of TNG is so bad that it's completely put me off watching.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's called a zoetrope, and I think pronounced zee-a-trope fro some reason.

And it's not that bad, I just stopped watching almost everything about... maybe 15-20 years ago now. I can do bits of things before that. It does mean I have lived in an almost entirely superhero free world though.

I do second the stargate SG1 rec from earlier, always liked that when I caught it on the telly, but I never really kept up with it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Season 1 of TNG is notoriously poor. There are like 2 episodes worth your time.

What happened between season 1 and 2 I have no idea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did riker get the beard in series 2? That's generally a good sign. Smooth riker is deeply uncanny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Danger - Octopus! posted:

For All Mankind is probably the best show I've watched since The Americans. The first two seasons of FAM are legit incredible and some episodes are a masterclass in how to build tension or drop a surprise twist. Not watched season 4 yet, but season 3 isn't quite as good as the first two. It's kind of getting slightly less interesting as it goes, because it's becoming more of a sci-fi show than cool alt-history but it's definitely worth it.

Yeah it's cool. We've been watching it with my father-in-law cause it's Boomer catnip and it plays into his interests (history buff, and he worked in aerospace and on the Apollo 11 LEM when he was young).

It's cool cause it starts off as pure Boomer fantasia alternative history but by S4 it's pretty much become a woke sci-fi show. I reckon Ron D Moore is just trying to stealthily inject these ideas into Boomer brains. Sadly though, it's also gotten more boring as it goes on.

You can choose to view FAM as an Expanse prequel for some intertextual fun if you want