Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

- Open plan double bedroom and living area (studio)
- Cosy entrance way - potential sublet or house share
- Easy access to kebab shop below bedroom window
- No ghosts

It would work in London!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The teams' desks on Would I Lie To You have finally been rejoined. Pandemic over?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
This interpretive dance version of The Matrix on BBC2 is certainly some :catdrugs: poo poo

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Sentinel Red posted:

This interpretive dance version of The Matrix on BBC2 is certainly some :catdrugs: poo poo

The Danny Boyle thing? Weird to me that it's on TV because I understood it was one of those interactive theatre things that would be hard to translate, but I guess it makes sense given the star power.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
People who get stupid famous should do more mad experimental poo poo. Even if I'm not going to watch it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I think it would rule if Boyle gave up making movies entirely and instead switched to exploring the genre of the 2012 Olympic opening ceremony. Peter Greenaway has been making wanky museum nights for years, and I liked his films much more.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

Sentinel Red posted:

Is it a full-episode version of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG5foTubeyI

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dear lord the garbage they’re playing under the firework display this year. (Not the music).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aaaaaaand Rickroll!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sentinel Red posted:

Sorry, what?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
The BBC Scotland pre-record was alright and had some good guests but they need to make a new version of that bloody countdown film.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
What’s the deal with jeopardy? Is there any reason they have to phrase the answer as a question? Or is it just a pointless gimmick to piss people like me off?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

every game show needs a gimmick.
to disguise how vacuous the concept is.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
A hundred years ago in America, there was a scandal where some quiz shows were found out to be rigged as they’d given the answers to some of the contestants.

Jeopardy’s weird format is the result of some advertising wank’s bright idea of, “what if we made a quiz where we gave everyone all the answers?” colliding with the reality of that being just a really daft idea.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's a dumb gimmick.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Some Strange Flea posted:

A hundred years ago in America, there was a scandal where some quiz shows were found out to be rigged as they’d given the answers to some of the contestants.

but we got the Ralph Fiennes film Quiz Show about that, an absolute classic, so it wasn't all bad.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Jakabite posted:

What’s the deal with jeopardy? Is there any reason they have to phrase the answer as a question? Or is it just a pointless gimmick to piss people like me off?

When the show was originally broadcast they did actually structure the questions so that you had to provide a question that matched the answer in the clue. When the show was brought back with Trebek they more or less stopped doing this but kept making people phrase their answers as questions.

The US version is much better than the one with Fry that's just started, which has made the show way slower and more tedious than the snappy half hour format they have in the states.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, watching the UK one after years of the US is just weird. I appreciate keeping things like the logo and music, but a big laugh that the usual British prize money is as poo poo as ever and that they don’t even double the value of the questions in the second round.

Hopefully the pacing will improve when Stephen isn’t having to constantly talking about the game mechanics, but I don’t think I’ll tune in again. The contestants are super slow too, the good American ones are competing to hit the buzzer within milliseconds of the questions being asked.

E: oof they’re dragging it out and doing double jeopardy as a 3rd round, this is a tough watch.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 3, 2024

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i like the wee tune :)

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Is it weekly instead of daily and not having the returning winner format? That’s the best part of the format, tuning in when someone’s been on a winning streak for a while.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Annabel Pee posted:

Is it weekly instead of daily and not having the returning winner format? That’s the best part of the format, tuning in when someone’s been on a winning streak for a while.
It’s daily with a returning champion.
The first ep on NYD was at 5:45pm but it looks like it’ll be at 4pm usually.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Annabel Pee posted:

Everything's the same but they've doubled the length of the show and added an extra Single Jeopardy plus way too much of Stephen Fry talking to fill the longer runtime.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
They did that with 15 to 1 as well. It went from being a machinegun of a quiz to being Sandi Toksvig chuntering on for 20 minutes of filler.

Destroy anyone who's been in Footlights.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Skulker posted:

lol. You'll be slaughtering a lot more of the comedy scene than you might think, every oval office goes there

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Talking to the contestants is the worst part of every gameshow.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

lol. You'll be slaughtering a lot more of the comedy scene than you might think, every oval office goes there

Oh no, I'm well aware. They're all loving shite.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

goatface posted:

it's cheaper filler than paying researchers to write more questions though, so all the poo poo ones will keep doing it.

and why uni challenge remains the top tier quiz show.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Skulker posted:

Hold your horses here, if we are going to go on a destroy everyone at a particular Oxbridge organisation surely we need to look at Oxford and the poor excuse for alumni of the Politics, Philosophy and Economics degree programme.

Skulker posted:

Oh no, I'm well aware. They're all loving shite.
Mitchell and Webb, Douglas Adams, Richard Ayoade, Tim Brooke-Taylor, Lady Big Suze , Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, Alex Horne, Tim Key, Hugh Laurie, Miriam Margolyes, Mel and Sue, Phil Wang to name a few.

Starbucks fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 3, 2024

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

goatface posted:

They call me fear.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Starbucks posted:

Mitchell and Webb, Douglas Adams, Richard Ayoade, Tim Brooke-Taylor, Lady Big Suze , Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, Alex Horne, Tim Key, Hugh Laurie, Miriam Margolyes, Mel and Sue, Phil Wang to name a few.

I have news for you about Tim Brooke-Taylor and Douglas Adams

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Skulker posted:

They did that with 15 to 1 as well. It went from being a machinegun of a quiz to being Sandi Toksvig chuntering on for 20 minutes of filler.

Alexei Sayle's comment about his confusion when they made the Uni Challenge episode of The Young Ones certainly spring to mind.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

ookiimarukochan posted:

I have news for you about Tim Brooke-Taylor and Douglas Adams

Chapman too.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

It will be nice when we can add Mitchel and Webb to that list imo

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Starbucks posted:

Tim Key was in Footlights but didn't actually go to Cambridge, so can he just be maimed slightly?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

xmas university challenge
ruth davidson somehow mixed up Disney films and went for an answer of Song of the South instead of Bambi.
I feel like this illustrates something about the modern tory party.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Ruth Davidson is a bastard

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Is the new traitors any good? I completely missed it starting again and found it pretty watchable last time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I binged the first 4 episodes of the previous season tonight and have managed to get hooked. Have a feeling we’ll be going straight into the new one after.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Prehistoric Planet on AppleTV is decent. I'm mentioning it here because it's Attenborough and all the team working on it are british.
Really funny to see the "Science" parts of the show with people saying proper measurements then Attenborough using feet/farenheit because it's for the american audience.

Might be the last thing he does honestly, god he's so old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
The Kemps: All Gold and All True feel like some of the more original comedy to have come out of the BBC in years. There's some great music references but also great absurd nonsense in there.

If the concept of Spandau: The Ballet makes you laugh then check it out.