Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Silver2195 posted:

Hank Morgan is effectively superhuman - like many isekai protagonists, he applies his modern knowledge in ways that make no logistical sense.
It's funny how you can see the progression from trying to justify the protagonist using high school science to cheat through a primitive world to "gently caress it, their smartphone works in the other world and they have magic Amazon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Smartphone is lazy writing, magic Amazon can be interesting though. Like having to pay for stuff so you can't just buy your way out of problems (unless you can buy salt, butchers love salt) and having to deal with trying to find exactly what you're looking for (although many writers just cheat that).

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

if you want to watch Rayearth, make sure you don’t watch the OVA. It’s garbage and a poor retelling of the anime and the manga

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

the “season one” of rayearth on Crunchyroll actually has both tv seasons. The first season ends on episode 20.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Hank Morgan is effectively superhuman - like many isekai protagonists, he applies his modern knowledge in ways that make no logistical sense. And John Carter was already unaging (for some reason) before going to Mars.

But yeah, getting an overpowered ability as a bonus on top of being transported is an obnoxious trope, generally the result of being afraid to let the protagonist actually face challenges.

I'd honestly forgotten about that little trait of John Carter, since it's so irrelevant to any of the actual things he does in the books, just kind of establishing in passing that he's likely a great warrior who's been fighting for who knows how many centuries in various guises (that he doesn't really remember). Hell, I don't think it's even mentioned in the first book.

And that's an entirely mark against Hank. It's just personally easier to overlook since it's ultimately not a power fantasy and Twain far more reasonably wouldn't necessarily understand all the difficulties involved, as opposed to modern writers with all the information they've got at their fingertip. Plus of course it being satire, and everything goes to poo poo eventually regardless.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well, until Father Christmas gives them magical items for the final battle against the White Witch's army.

Eh, I wasn't really counting entirely reasonable magical items they found in a fantasy setting - particularly given they were fairly low key too. I mean, Peter literally got a sword and shield. Probably magical to some extent, since they were still fine centuries later, but never implied to have had or imparted some superlative combat ability to them or whatever. Hilariously one of them displayed far more power in someone else's hands than it ever did in the hands of the Pevensies themselves (Susan's horn, when used by Prince Caspian, summoning them back to Narnia). Lucy probably got the most powerful one (ignoring dimensional summoning), but not exactly one that had direct use in actual combat.

In fairness here, in terms of where I'm coming from, I wouldn't count the magical items Hikaru and co. earned in Rayearth as somehow making them superhuman (or as isekai cheat powers) either. And those are of course FAR more powerful than the above.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Edomae Elf was a good, technically isekai show. It's mostly focused on Japanese historical facts, but I also enjoyed how it touches on growing old and watching everything around you change. Elda and the other elves are just a whole lot of fun.

Come to think of it, I also liked Ya Boy, Kongming for similar reasons. It's just fun to watch someone be dropped in our world and just roll with it and see things from their perspective. Is there a better term for these kinds of shows other than "reverse isekai" I can use to find more of them?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The best isekai was the 1980s Dungeons and Dragons animated show

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
publishing companies: sorry we dont accept isekai manuscripts and isekai is banned from all competitions
also publishing companies: keep acquiring isekai webnovels and churning out anime adaptations

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Larryb posted:

So are there any good modern isekai shows out there while we’re on the subject? They seem to be churning out a lot of them as of late

There are a lot of good source materials that get adapted to an adequate standard. This season The Wrong Way To Use Healing Magic and My Instant Death Ability Is Overpowered are both pretty promising source materials - I'll spoil slightly but this should all be first or second episode stuff.

The Wrong Way To Use Healing Magic is a fairly conventional fantasy setup about a pair of heroes summoned in desperate times to train with the kingdom's knights to fight the demon lord. And then the swerve - the story's going to spend most of its time with the background character who was also in the summoning circle, who gets dragged off to train with the medic corps. "the wrong way" is to recover yourself from the intense training regimen needed to be a goddamn paramedic ninja, and also possibly to fight non-lethally with the power of HEALING PUNCH to inflict shock but not trauma

My Instant Death Ability Is Overpowered is an absolute parody about a class who winds up isekaied, but the facts on the ground are more like "weird wizard abducts you to play his death game", and follows the couple of apparent losers of the first round who have a better chance in this messed-up world than anyone thought because, well, see title. The world is kind of a cosmic playground for bored divine-class beings who are always roping in people one way and another, and life and death are cheap. Everyone is about to have an extremely bad time because the protagonist is actually the universe's garbage collection routine, who for some paranormal reason incarnated in human shape, and spent most of his formative years learning how to be human at the local equivalent of the Federal Bureau of Control. He would just like to go back, please, and cannot understand why nobody believes that they will die when he kills them in the least dramatic manner possible. If you want to see ten seconds of a novel and twisted isekai concept show up, explain itself, and go out like a chump, over and over again, this is your baby.

If you want a good show, I'll second The Eminence In Shadow. It's got things like "adaptation decisions" and "shot composition" because the producer really liked the original and spent the whole first season planning the episodic transitions and the final episode while everybody else was working on the week-to-week. it sometimes gets called "Isekai One Punch Man" because its action focuses on presenting an entertaining spectacle rather than building dramatic tension over whether the protagonist will win. There are three things you need to know about Cid Kagenou. The first is that he wants to live his life in the most action movie way possible. He is here to be entertaining, and you are here to be entertained. The second is that he wants to be the mysterious sixth ranger who sometimes looks like he's being a bad 'un and sometimes fights the heroes, but always shows up to help them against the true enemy. The third is that he thinks he's still in training and will one day find the struggle for the fate of the world, but has somehow actually put himself in his exact dream position with no conscious concept of who the heroes are and what they're fighting against. His globe-spanning secret organization of elite operatives awaits his command to save the world, nevertheless.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Isekai really isn't the problem it's that we have some stuff being written animated that really none of it would be good. Like if this surge of content happened when Eva hit it big we had have a glut of bad Eva chase shows

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm curious about how the economics of the isekai torrent work out. Does every LN that gets an anime see enough of a sales bump to make it worth it? Have there been a few standout hits that made bank and they're searching for the next one?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Sindai posted:

I'm curious about how the economics of the isekai torrent work out. Does every LN that gets an anime see enough of a sales bump to make it worth it? Have there been a few standout hits that made bank and they're searching for the next one?

From my understanding the only new isekai these days is from already proven popular free webnovels being given book deals as LNs, then based on how the sales of the first few volumes go it will also get a manga and/or anime which are usually coordinated with the next LN/manga volume release to pump sales of it and all the previous volumes. from reading light novels about the light novel industry it seems that a season 2 is determined off how big a sales bump there was and also the dvd sales.

For new or struggling authors the light novel industry is a hell hole.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It should be noted that some publishing houses are betting that even a mediocre adaptation can hit out big and move books. Hopefully this past year will prove them wrong, but we live in hell so we'll probably be buried in minimum effort LN adaptations for the foreseeable future.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Isekai really isn't the problem it's that we have some stuff being written animated that really none of it would be good. Like if this surge of content happened when Eva hit it big we had have a glut of bad Eva chase shows

The post-Madoka 'dark magical girl' trend was mostly pretty dire, even if GRANBELM was quite fun.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Glazius posted:

There are a lot of good source materials that get adapted to an adequate standard. This season The Wrong Way To Use Healing Magic and My Instant Death Ability Is Overpowered are both pretty promising source materials - I'll spoil slightly but this should all be first or second episode stuff.

The Wrong Way To Use Healing Magic is a fairly conventional fantasy setup about a pair of heroes summoned in desperate times to train with the kingdom's knights to fight the demon lord. And then the swerve - the story's going to spend most of its time with the background character who was also in the summoning circle, who gets dragged off to train with the medic corps. "the wrong way" is to recover yourself from the intense training regimen needed to be a goddamn paramedic ninja, and also possibly to fight non-lethally with the power of HEALING PUNCH to inflict shock but not trauma

I feel this is a significant misrepresentation. Ninjas have skill, stealth, and precision. Usato is basically just a big self-repairing ambulance that keeps ramming into people.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah there's a reason every other character who spends more than a day around him treats him like The Hulk.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

The post-Madoka 'dark magical girl' trend was mostly pretty dire, even if GRANBELM was quite fun.

The effect of post Madoka shows on magical girls is really overblown though. Yeah most are bad but they didn't really overwhelm the market like say Eva chase show did for awhile or SAO/Isekai chase shows. And hell you still had the yearly Precure shows, the Pretty Rhythm series for kids shows and for late night you had Symphogear shortly after which is more Nanoha/Pretty Cure mixed with Kamen Rider and Macross. Heck for being such an important show it's kinda of staggering how little volume of chase Madoka got compared to Eva/K-on/SAO...

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Feel like a lot of past trends just don't really measure up in the face of isekai/naroukei having that huge amateur author pool they're drawing from.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Actually what are examples of EVA likes? I remember RahXephon, but otherwise kind of drawing blanks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Evangelion was 70% references by volume so it'd be hard to prove if they were copying that or just being influenced by the same older shows.

Honestly I don't think there were many but you did see supernatural/metaphysical stuff creep into robot shows for a few years after, like Argento Soma and Gasaraki. Neither of those were particularly EVA-esque otherwise though, nor was Evangelion in any way the first to do that.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

genericnick posted:

Actually what are examples of EVA likes? I remember RahXephon, but otherwise kind of drawing blanks.

Dual parallel trouble adventure felt like one of those, but all Tenchi'd up

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

"eva likes" were less samey in form than any light novel trend, there was just a like 10 year period after eva and before code geass where a lot of mecha and sci-fi anime were more inward-looking and allegorical

i think fafner and eureka seven are probably the most obvious examples of someone just making their own eva and those still arent as blatant as any given webnovel anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also talking about the mecha genre purely in terms of "eva likes" kinda springs from a weird bit of ignoring that like. eva wasnt the only hugely popular and influential mecha anime of that year. nadesico was roughly as popular it just didn't have a tight enough creative grasp around itself for future works to maintain that presence, prince of darkness did not really end up being its end of evangelion

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I dropped the LN of "My Instant Death Ability Is Overpowered" after a few pages when it starts with a dragon loving a bunch of children to death with its penis.

Really set a vibe for the story I was not willing to pick up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uh, thanks, wow

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject it seems to be confirmed, the lead in the next Precure series will be a fairy/mascot character:

And a better picture of the whole team:

The official reveal is this Sunday apparently

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
looks like another case of WN -> LN -> manga transitions removing utterly heinous, horrific garbage the hosed up idiot of an author put in there. wonderful. well I guess so long as the manga continues to not include any of that poo poo from the WN/LN I'll keep reading that, but definitely not going to give the WN/LN the light of day.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nitrousoxide posted:

I dropped the LN of "My Instant Death Ability Is Overpowered" after a few pages when it starts with a dragon loving a bunch of children to death with its penis.

Really set a vibe for the story I was not willing to pick up.

Sounds like a pretty overpowered ability to me

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Captain Invictus posted:

looks like another case of WN -> LN -> manga transitions removing utterly heinous, horrific garbage the hosed up idiot of an author put in there. wonderful. well I guess so long as the manga continues to not include any of that poo poo from the WN/LN I'll keep reading that, but definitely not going to give the WN/LN the light of day.

I just checked chapter 1 of the manga, and it's still there.

Edit: I'd forgotten that the MC then proceeds to sit down and play monster hunter on his DS surrounded by the corpses of his classmates like a sociopath. As bad as that sounds in 3rd person in a manga, now imagine that in first person from his perspective in the LN.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 3, 2024

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I always point out that there weren’t actually that many of them (especially not compared to isekai). Aside from Madoka itself, there was The Sun Penetrates the Illusion, Magical Girl Site, Magical Girl Raising Project, Yuki Yuuna, Magical Girl Spec Ops Asuka, and Granbelm. Selector Infected Wixoss was obviously Madoka-influenced but not actually a magical girl show. I don’t think any of them (including Granbelm) were particularly good, but people were talking about the genre like it was omnipresent before half of those shows had even come out. There was never actually a glut of them comparable to isekai or even magic battle school harems (or whatever the correct order of the words in the name of that genre is).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Really I think Precure monopolising the genre probably had a bigger impact.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

selector wixoss ftw

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Motto posted:

selector wixoss ftw

I remember this one

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean most of them also just aren't that much like madoka. the hosed UP darker ones go to immediately more ridiculous extremes than madoka did and stuff like granbelm, wixoss and flip flappers have like, very distinctly different tonal and creative identities. it's like calling madoka an uta~kata clone just because, uta~kata happened to be a kind of gloomy and sad magical girl show that aired a bit earlier

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

genericnick posted:

Argento Soma, Melody of Oblivion, and definitely not Brain Powerd

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can't count another Gainax show and Melody of Oblivion is closer to Utena than anything

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the dark magical girl thing is different from complaining about WN/LN trends since it was never about volume, but the online idea that madoka had singlehandedly corrupted magical girls and stolen it from its original audience, so any time something pegged as a "dark magical girl show" came around you'd have people lamenting what the concept had become, forever

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Liveries must be taken because posting just one example isn't enough

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Motto posted:

the dark magical girl thing is different from complaining about WN/LN trends since it was never about volume, but the online idea that madoka had singlehandedly corrupted magical girls and stolen it from its original audience, so any time something pegged as a "dark magical girl show" came around you'd have people lamenting what the concept had become, forever

Person who refuses to watch Precure because it's a kids anime voice: Goddamn Madoka stole the magical girls from the kids...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

winter shows are airing let's go

Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki 2: i really liked the first season after checking it out a few days ago - kind of turns the dorky anime slice-of-life romance on its head by using a glowup on the nerdy protag to explore the nature of social dynamics, self-improvement, and if there's an inherent tension between earnestly being yourself and being presentable. they used some contrived gaming metaphor to get there but it's a cool show. first ep of season 2 was more of that and it's one of the things i'm most excited about this season.

Ishura: i tried this because the pv had a dragon wielding a shotgun and i thought that was funny, i made it eight minutes. the first bits set up a relationship between two girls until one of them gets graphically ripped limb from limb by a rogue robot. all the rogue attacking robots get sliced in half by a sassy samurai guy in a track jacket. it looks bad and is trying to be dark without having the writing chops to back it up.