Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Bluetooth doesn't want to connect to my speaker and notifications to my Garmin watch don't sync or come in minutes or hours late. Is there any reason to expect it to get better on a Pixel 8 Pro or is every update going to gently caress something up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No issues with Bluetooth with my P8P and I have like 4 watches paired to it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

Lucky you. I have to reset to get Bluetooth working properly. I don't want to deal with this and probably will return it :(

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bull3964 posted:

I too like to wear 4 watches

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Felt kind of sad dropping off my Pixel 7 Pro to UPS for the 8 trade in. I wasn't enamored with the phone at first, but I genuinely feel like it got better over the year+ I used it. Never had any ridiculous heating problems (maybe because I don't record a lot of video). Battery life was good enough. Even the modem managed to work well with Verizon. Easily in my top 5 Android phones and I've owned a lot of phones.

Honestly, the 8 Pro doesn't feel like much of an upgrade in a lot of ways, and had I not had that 40% off discount offer, I wouldn't have traded in the 7 Pro.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Bluetooth doesn't want to connect to my speaker and notifications to my Garmin watch don't sync or come in minutes or hours late. Is there any reason to expect it to get better on a Pixel 8 Pro or is every update going to gently caress something up?

Doesn't help you, but like bull I have no Bluetooth issues with my P8p. I have a Garmin watch always connected and regularly use headphones with no issue (and Android Auto if that's relevant).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well. Maybe mine is bad. I should have screenshotted it as it's very clear it's buggy. Not being able to see any Bluetooth devices while living in a city is pretty much impossible. Got a bunch of devices after reset.

I'll do a second try with a Pixel 8 non pro as this size is just too big for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mental Hospitality posted:

Felt kind of sad dropping off my Pixel 7 Pro to UPS for the 8 trade in. I wasn't enamored with the phone at first, but I genuinely feel like it got better over the year+ I used it. Never had any ridiculous heating problems (maybe because I don't record a lot of video). Battery life was good enough. Even the modem managed to work well with Verizon. Easily in my top 5 Android phones and I've owned a lot of phones.

Honestly, the 8 Pro doesn't feel like much of an upgrade in a lot of ways, and had I not had that 40% off discount offer, I wouldn't have traded in the 7 Pro.

See, I feel the opposite. To me it feels like the 8 Pro is a huge step forward for the Pixel series.

6 Pro was an ok, if occasionally shaky first attempt. Really, for all that they changed and establishing a new design language, they pulled off a remarkable 1st gen.

7 Pro was a refinement of the 6 Pro. Just a little bit better in every way to make a more polished device, but fundamentally the same experience, just a tiny bit better.

8 Pro improves on everything. The screen is top tier flagship, exceeding what the panel maker (Samsung) had on the market for their flagship. The charging is massively improved. The battery life is demonstrably better. Video is no longer an afterthought. Thermals are improved. Even the UI padding and screen density at the default settings is finally cohesive after being hit and miss between the 6 and 7 series (seriously, the 7 Pro could show less on its screen than the standard 7 at default settings and bumping stuff down led to too much empty space or other UI weirdness.) I've seen dramatically better bluetooth performance than the 7 Pro (and the Fold). The same goes for cellular signal. Not that either of those things were BAD on the 7 Pro or Fold (I'm actually using the Fold as my primary ATM), but the edge cases are better handled.

Before, I was in the situation where I liked the hardware on the S23U better but the software (and camera) experience always brought me back to the Pixel. With the 8 Pro, I actually like the hardware BETTER than the S23U on top of the other stuff. I feel like it's pulling me back from the Pixel Fold and I don't really want it to since I love the Fold form factor, but it's such a good device. I have to say though, the 8 Pro is getting me seriously excited for the Fold 2 if the manage to improve upon the first Fold as much as they did from the 7 Pro to the 8 Pro. I have a feeling they can actually exceed that difference though since the Fold had such a long initial development phase.

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

I upgraded to the Pixel 8 on Black Friday after my 5A died due to the motherboard issue and this may be the best phone I've owned, absolutely love it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

oshuaj posted:

I upgraded to the Pixel 8 on Black Friday after my 5A died due to the motherboard issue and this may be the best phone I've owned, absolutely love it

From a 6A and same

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There really isn't a way to do a thorough backup with Android is there? Setting up my new phone and I have to re-setup all my outlook accounts, etc? Or would it copy over if I did a device to device transfer vs a Google Cloud restore?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

There really isn't a way to do a thorough backup with Android is there? Setting up my new phone and I have to re-setup all my outlook accounts, etc? Or would it copy over if I did a device to device transfer vs a Google Cloud restore?

Device to device transfer migrates some of your accounts but depending on how the individual app implemented it, you might need to login again. Some other apps transferred fully, with existing login and settings.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Well. Maybe mine is bad. I should have screenshotted it as it's very clear it's buggy. Not being able to see any Bluetooth devices while living in a city is pretty much impossible. Got a bunch of devices after reset.

I'll do a second try with a Pixel 8 non pro as this size is just too big for me.

New device is working. Guess the Pro was defective. Haven't tried Android Auto yet on the new device (that does use Bluetooth), but that had been working okay, so yay. I will miss the 5x zoom and all the megapixels but this size is so much better for me.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

I know people are against the idea, but this is pretty much the only reason I still root, is to run swift backup on my phone. It backs up everything. I have had the "same" phone for 3 phones now because I just restore backup every time I get a new one and it's almost exactly the same as my last one, barring slight differences when there's an os update and stuff

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

hark posted:

I know people are against the idea, but this is pretty much the only reason I still root, is to run swift backup on my phone. It backs up everything. I have had the "same" phone for 3 phones now because I just restore backup every time I get a new one and it's almost exactly the same as my last one, barring slight differences when there's an os update and stuff

Microsoft really should implement backup of some kind (Google Restore, OneDrive) for Outlook, at least optionally. I have like 5000 email accounts lol

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I've mentioned this before but I'm not having great luck with some Anker stuff I've bought. I got two PowerPort 6 port charger and two random ports have stopped working. Same thing when my friend bought one. At least two USB C to lightning cables are so unreliable maintaining a charging connection they're borderline useless (Anker PowerLine III Flow; the Anker 333 USB C to USB C cables seem fine).

And the 313 charger is intermittent as well. My Ugreen Nexode 100W GaN Wall Charger seems to work well, and the car chargers (in my car and my wife's) don't have any issues.

Have I just been poo poo out of luck with Anker or have they fallen off the wagon a bit?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hark posted:

This is definitely the one thing I miss from when I rooted my phones. Back up with Titanium Backup, put that in Google Drive. Sign in to new phone, install TiBu, then restore. Waaaaay faster than having to re-download everything.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Does Android keep sending notifications to my Garmin watch even while the phone is in DND? 🤦🏻‍♂️

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DND is for the phone. Wearables always continue getting notifications unless they are in DND mode as well.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

pixel 8 loses it's charge/auto connection if i so much as look at the cable funny.

absolutely zero dust in the port, and a brand new cable doesn't help. this, plus the micro scratches despite being like a month old have me pretty disappointed with the build quality

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wired Android Auto is finicky as all get out, wireless works so much better.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

DND is for the phone. Wearables always continue getting notifications unless they are in DND mode as well.

That's stupid

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Nah, being able to set the two separately is a heck of a lot better than getting alerts in 2 places or 0 places.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

How is your phone supposed to change settings on a 3rd party piece of hardware?

These wearables show you notifications by having the ability to read notifications. These notifications exist whether or not DND is turned on. DND is downstream of the notification feed, affecting your phone's ability to surface notifications through its interface. 3rd party apps that have access to notifications have no idea if your phone is in DND or not, it's just reading the notification feed.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Wired Android Auto is finicky as all get out, wireless works so much better.

every pixel ive had (1, 2xl, 5, 7, 8) has had eventual degradation of wired connection to android auto.

but this phone will even stop charging when connected to the wall. or like phase in and out of charging if im holding it while it's charging. super pain in the rear end.

i have best buy protection on it so i might just swap it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Then it's broken so get it exchanged.

Why haven't you started the process already. "Might". I will never understand the propensity of people to hold on to clearly defective devices.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i hate dealing with customer service for devices. it's always a poo poo process. and the phone does what i need it to do in 90% of situations.

and i'm a lazy prick

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I wouldn’t even bother with the RMA for Android Auto issues. Same poo poo happened to me across multiple Pixels, cables, and even cars. Would work fine for months on end, then shut itself if the cable moved an inch while in use for a week or two straight.

My iPhone does this also, but much less so far. I’ve only had it for 3 and a half months so we’ll see if it starts acting the same .

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I really should buy one of those wireless adapters, the auto cable thing is a real pita lol

ShoogaSlim posted:

i hate dealing with customer service for devices. it's always a poo poo process. and the phone does what i need it to do in 90% of situations.

and i'm a lazy prick

my dude you said yourself it has trouble charging at all, that's not "it's fine most of the time" just get it done before it gets worse and you complain more

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
That happens to me but it's always been the cable (across multiple phones and cars). I get a new one for 10 bucks and I'm good for a year. Last one I got was an anker two pack for the same price as 1 Amazon basics. I could get a wireless adapter thing but 10 bucks a year (or two if the ankers last) isn't killing me

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

These wearables show you notifications by having the ability to read notifications. These notifications exist whether or not DND is turned on. DND is downstream of the notification feed, affecting your phone's ability to surface notifications through its interface. 3rd party apps that have access to notifications have no idea if your phone is in DND or not, it's just reading the notification feed.

It works on iOS :shrug:

Resdfru posted:

That happens to me but it's always been the cable (across multiple phones and cars). I get a new one for 10 bucks and I'm good for a year. Last one I got was an anker two pack for the same price as 1 Amazon basics. I could get a wireless adapter thing but 10 bucks a year (or two if the ankers last) isn't killing me

I found one of my USB-C cables just won't charge the pixel at all. It's an Anker or something similar so not sure what's up. It works with literally everything else, and it's A to C, so just doing 2.1A I think.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

bull3964 posted:

The pixel watches will sync dnd status now. So they're capable, but either Google hasn't opened that ability up to 3rd parties or Garmin hasn't implemented it. My guess is a lot of the former and a little of the latter.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Samsung watch syncs my Fold's status (like Sleep for example), unless I tell it not to. Isn't that how it should work?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rap Game Goku posted:

The pixel watches will sync dnd status now. So they're capable, but either Google hasn't opened that ability up to 3rd parties or Garmin hasn't implemented it. My guess is a lot of the former and a little of the latter.

It's all on the later. Apps can read DND status (and even set it with correct permissions). It just has to be implemented. The important thing to realize is it's a different state to manage and not simply a silencing of notifications, so you have to do more than just read the notification feed.

Alan_Shore posted:

Samsung watch syncs my Fold's status (like Sleep for example), unless I tell it not to. Isn't that how it should work?

Samsung does whatever with their own stuff as they have so many unpublished APIs/backdoor hooks in Android that they use for their own store and devices.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Alan_Shore posted:

Samsung phones will sync with the Galaxy Watch, but they've hidden that functionality if you're using other phones.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
had a few issues with wired android auto disconnecting, think the usb c connector on the cable was a too long for the socket and it was acting to lever the connection out of place on mild jolts/knocks

started propping the charger end of my phone up a bit in the tray using a roll of mints so there's no tension on the cable, haven't had an issue since

probably eat those mints eventually though, only a short term fix

Capisano
Sep 11, 2001

Brutal

kirbysuperstar posted:

I really should buy one of those wireless adapters, the auto cable thing is a real pita lol

I got this one off Amazon and it works well, half the price of the Motorola one.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

DesperateDan posted:

had a few issues with wired android auto disconnecting, think the usb c connector on the cable was a too long for the socket and it was acting to lever the connection out of place on mild jolts/knocks

started propping the charger end of my phone up a bit in the tray using a roll of mints so there's no tension on the cable, haven't had an issue since

probably eat those mints eventually though, only a short term fix

I've needed to replace the USB c cable I use for android auto multiple times. It got better when I stopped buying cheap mono price ones, but still needs done every so often.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

another thing that happens every once in a while is i'll use the bottom horizontal gesture bar to swipe to the last app i was using, and it'll flick scroll through all my open apps and land on, like, whatever the 6th open app is. seemingly completely at random.

under normal circumstances, no amount of acceleration in your physical swipe interaction with the screen will make it go more than one app to the left. something in the software is tripping up making it go haywire every once in a while.

it's not a big deal but it's jarring and unexpected enough to make me grumble about the software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

another thing that happens every once in a while is i'll use the bottom horizontal gesture bar to swipe to the last app i was using, and it'll flick scroll through all my open apps and land on, like, whatever the 6th open app is. seemingly completely at random.

under normal circumstances, no amount of acceleration in your physical swipe interaction with the screen will make it go more than one app to the left. something in the software is tripping up making it go haywire every once in a while.

it's not a big deal but it's jarring and unexpected enough to make me grumble about the software.

Return 👏 your 👏 broken 👏 phone