Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I'm assuming I will be supplying all mechs if I can get my friends into playing either Classic or Alpha Strike, so I've started dividing my minis into three piles - Draconis, Mercenaries, and FRR. I quickly realized that I have very few light mechs. I've got AGOAC, the intro box, and two lance boxes, and that has landed me with a whopping three lights - a commando, a locust and a raven. I'm comparatively swimming in mediums. Is this a common thing, that while numerous in the setting, you're not supposed to run lights that much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I've ended up with quite a few lights as a result of me having bought previous starter sets prior to the hard plastic revival, so I would say it's just a consequence of the current SKUs and not something fundamental to the game.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

lilljonas posted:

I'm assuming I will be supplying all mechs if I can get my friends into playing either Classic or Alpha Strike, so I've started dividing my minis into three piles - Draconis, Mercenaries, and FRR. I quickly realized that I have very few light mechs. I've got AGOAC, the intro box, and two lance boxes, and that has landed me with a whopping three lights - a commando, a locust and a raven. I'm comparatively swimming in mediums. Is this a common thing, that while numerous in the setting, you're not supposed to run lights that much?

Mediums are common but lights will be even more common, especially mechs like Stingers, Wasps and Locusts. They’ll be found in all kinds of forces from full-on recon formations to parts of lances and the only mechs in backwater planetary militia forces. If you want to quickly jack up the amount of current CGL light mechs you have in your disposal, the Striker Lance has three lights (Jenner, Panther, Wolfhound) and one medium (Blackjack) and the Command Lance has two very common lights (Stinger, Valkyrie) and two heavies (Marauder, Archer). Bear in mind that Wolfhound is a design that only pops up later in the timeline, in 3028.

I think bringing a light mech or more is an important consideration during force building. There are fast mediums but they will rarely touch even the average light mech, let alone the faster ones. This’ll enable you to maneuver into your opponent’s flanks and rears, and while lights are generally lightly armed, no mech wants that Jenner alpha strike into their rear, or even the Wasp’s medium laser and SRM2.

They’ll go down quickly if hit but the speed is their armor: I just played a Hussar for the first time and that variant had a movement of 9/14 and was never hit once in the game with its TMMs of +3 or +4, plus cover. It was able to sneak up behind larger mechs to harass and direct their attention away from the main battle line. My Valkyrie also performed well, even tanking a PPC hit. Surprisingly well-armored for a light mech.

Definitely tons of use cases for lights, it’s just a matter of finding the right role for them.

Edit: I’ve recently been slightly annoyed by the current lance boxes because a lot of them are very heavy. Comparatively few lights to go around. Good amounts of them coming with the KS boxes, though!

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 3, 2024

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Thank you. I had been pointed to Strategic Ops earlier and while lots of aerospace stuff was in there, it wasn't focused on LAMs at all and I assumed I was just stupid. This is exactly what I'm looking for. My kid is a loving master negotiator though.

"I really want the book with LAM rules in it for my birthday."

"That doesn't make sense. Why waste your birthday present on a rulebook that I'm going to be the one to read just so we can use one new type of mech? Wouldn't you rather get a present you can use, like a storybook or action figure?"

"Well, Mommy is going to get me a birthday present. My friends are going to get me birthday presents. Grandma and Grandpa too. I don't need an action figure or storybook from you. I want to use my Airmech. I don't even want the plane mode."

So that's where I'm at.

Your kid has really solid wants & needs needs assessment, tho, good job.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Also, my son refuses to use his LAMs in Alpha Strike where the rules are all conveniently in one book, so I guess I need to get:
Total Warfare for WiGE (how is this pronounced?) rules and Strategic Ops for Aerospace rules?

I think of it as Wig-E, but that’s probably just me.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

a cyborg mug posted:

Mediums are common but lights will be even more common, especially mechs like Stingers, Wasps and Locusts. They’ll be found in all kinds of forces from full-on recon formations to parts of lances and the only mechs in backwater planetary militia forces. If you want to quickly jack up the amount of current CGL light mechs you have in your disposal, the Striker Lance has three lights (Jenner, Panther, Wolfhound) and one medium (Blackjack) and the Command Lance has two very common lights (Stinger, Valkyrie) and two heavies (Marauder, Archer). Bear in mind that Wolfhound is a design that only pops up later in the timeline, in 3028.

I think bringing a light mech or more is an important consideration during force building. There are fast mediums but they will rarely touch even the average light mech, let alone the faster ones. This’ll enable you to maneuver into your opponent’s flanks and rears, and while lights are generally lightly armed, no mech wants that Jenner alpha strike into their rear, or even the Wasp’s medium laser and SRM2.

They’ll go down quickly if hit but the speed is their armor: I just played a Hussar for the first time and that variant had a movement of 9/14 and was never hit once in the game with its TMMs of +3 or +4, plus cover. It was able to sneak up behind larger mechs to harass and direct their attention away from the main battle line. My Valkyrie also performed well, even tanking a PPC hit. Surprisingly well-armored for a light mech.

Definitely tons of use cases for lights, it’s just a matter of finding the right role for them.

Edit: I’ve recently been slightly annoyed by the current lance boxes because a lot of them are very heavy. Comparatively few lights to go around. Good amounts of them coming with the KS boxes, though!

Thanks, that makes sense. I've been eyeing that Striker Lance as it seems to have Kurita written all over it, and I'm thinking that they'll be the prime mooks if I get my friends to play together against me as a GM. I backed the mercs box so that should give me some non-Kuritan lights to even out stuff.

Not sure how I'll do the mercs though, either uniform or just random cool individual painting schemes. I guess the latter would be better for more casual games where you just pick a few mechs and go toe-to-toe.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

NinjaDebugger posted:

Your kid has really solid wants & needs needs assessment, tho, good job.

He's an only child and we live abroad, so for three years or so during covid, he had a lot of opportunities to have very Socratic style conversations with me for lack of anything better to do. His critical reasoning is pretty solid. This evening, he powered his way through the Chinese menus in a MAME box to get the X-Men arcade game to run on the family room TV. I'm proud of my little guy.

I'm stupidly happy with how these, uh, "battle tanks" turned out. Any suggestions on dumb and annoying tanks in Alpha Strike I could field them as? My opponent is now spamming Urbies and hover tanks and it's just ugh to play against.

Leman Russ Backstory: a decade ago, my wife brought a can of Citadel brand spray varnish back with her from the UK. I used it to varnish the first Battletech minis I had ever painted, most of which were from a pricy IWM order. This was a notoriously bad spray varnish and GW did eventually pull it from the market, but I didn't know that at the time. My mechs were immediately ruined with a heavy frosting on every surface that had been exposed to the spray. I called up GW and told them what happened, and the customer service rep was clearly familiar with the issue (I know humidity can be a factor when spraying, but this was happening way more often and in different climates, not isolated to me). He obviously couldn't replace the IWM models, but he gave me a bunch of GW credit. I used it on these Leman Russes because gently caress it, a tank is a tank and I can use tiny tanks in Battletech if I want to! But I never did and they've sat in a drawer since then, traveling with me between two countries until today when I finally decided I was ready (bored enough) to paint them.

So yay. Tanks.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm stupidly happy with how these, uh, "battle tanks" turned out. Any suggestions on dumb and annoying tanks in Alpha Strike I could field them as? My opponent is now spamming Urbies and hover tanks and it's just ugh to play against.

Manticore/C3 shenanigans:

Sprint scout helo (c3): reduce to skill 7, 10 PV. Has no guns anyways, keep it cheap and moving.

Manticore C3M version: turret, 2/3/2 damage, 6 armor/3 structure. 34 PV

Manticore C3S version: turret, 3/3/2 damage, 6 armor/3 structure. 31 PV.

Other options:

Brutus Assault tanks (HPPC version): 4/5/3 (turret: 2/3/3) damage, C3S, 5 armor/4 structure, 36 PV.

To have a truly rude tank (with the PV cost to match):

Ontos heavy tanks.

3053 version: turret with 7/7/2 damage, 6 armor/5 structure apiece. 42 PV

Chemical laser version: 7/7/1 damage, 6 armor/5 structure. 41 PV

base version: turret with 5/5/1 damage, 4 armor/5 structure apiece. 31 PV

I have a friend that loves to play the fast-mech game and run one or more to my backfield that I’m forced to deal with (otherwise I lose LRM launchers), these mitigate him a bit.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
In 3025 the (very broad strokes, high level) proportion of weights is 30/40/20/10. While there are some Lights that are some of the most common mechs in existence, there are only a couple of those and a lot of the others are much less common. Mediums, on the other hand, have a shitload of designs that are common as dirt and they're more common overall. These ratios change a bit as the setting moves to be a bit heavier with the Clans.

A huge amount of Lights in-setting get used for stuff that's boring as poo poo on a tabletop or not well represented by the rules text, and while it's important to have some to be able to use and some of them are very useful it's not like you have to use them in a game.

If you're playing Kurita at all you should definitely get the pack with the Panther/Jenner in it, though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Panther is probably my third favorite light mech after Urbie and Raven. It basically does what the Urbanmech does*, but like... well instead of as a meme, with credible repositioning and strike-and-fade capability. Admittedly at almost twice the C-Bill cost, but hey filet mignon is more than ground chuck.

*light mech with One Big Gun to help it punch above its weight class or decisively end engagements with other lights

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
A lance of Panthers with the Marksman SPA are also brutal enough to make bigger, more powerful 'Mechs think twice about engaging.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Arquinsiel posted:

I have reached Exodus Road, or, "Why January 6th was Both Good and Necessary", by Blaine Pardoe.

I remember reading this as a teenager and it's a book about how the Smoke Jaguar leadership is so effed up and brutal a single warrior takes revenge and turns traitor, thinking he is the real true Smoke Jaguar the whole time. Also dastardly Comstat helps turn said traitor. Basically Smoke Jaguar made their bed and suffers the consequences from a Clanner with a grudge.

You can definitely read BLP's politics in some of his other books, especially "Forever Faithful", but how do you get that from Exodus Road?

Currently reading Legacy about an old Grasshopper, and Shrapnel #15, looks like they're starting to review shrapnel submissions again, yay.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 3, 2024

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I was going to say, I actually enjoyed Exodus Road as a pretty fun space-spy thriller set in the craziest clan. I quite enjoyed the Twilight of the Clans series save for two extremely bad entries that threw the rest of them under the bus.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I had a chance to try out smoke (my 3150 Neo-Blakists use Tunnel Rat IVs as all their infantry since that's the best battlesuit they can get their hands on) and it worked out well. I used Tunnel Rats IV (SQD6 Battle Claw/GL with smoke rounds), Sunder X (4x tons hot-loaded semiguided LRMs), MON-268 Mongoose II (C3 master for Sunder X), Black Hawk-KU G, and Arctic Fox A. I got a lot of work out of the Black Hawk's Angel ECM in ECM+ghost targets mode, and it and the Mongoose II having active probe's -1 to shooting through/into woods (shared over C3!) caused him to say gently caress it and mostly not bother with woods.

However, after my Mongoose II and Arctic Fox were destroyed and most of my Black Hawk-KU was missing, I gave up when the Sunder got hipped by leg attacking Elementals. He managed to maneuver into a situation where the best choice was to sit in the smoky woods and endure the leg attacks; leaving the woods wouldn't have helped me escape the Elementals and would have made incoming attacks easier and outgoing attacks harder. My Tunnel Rats absorbed a couple rounds of fire from the Elementals when he realized how they only had 2+1 armor each. But he got lucky after he resumed the leg attack attempts. While the Sunder was barely damaged otherwise thanks to the smoke, it would have taken him one turn for his mostly-operational Dragonfly A to finish off my Black Hawk-KU and then the Sunder would have been subjected to a slow death. Plus it was getting late and I was satisfied that my dumb strategy had merit.

I want to try out the Clan Constable, which not only has two grenade launchers but actually does have a spare grenade mag for each of its launchers. I'm going to take the ECM version, give it smoke and incendiary ammo for each launcher, and have it ride a Dire Wolf Prime (I've never taken one before so why not). I'll have it dismount when the Dire Wolf gets to a good fire position and have it sit in the same hex and cover its buddy with ghost targets and two clouds of smoke each turn. Because the smoke lasts for three end phases after the turn it gets popped, that gives me a few turns of buffer to fire incendiary rounds at whatever gets close - especially battle armor!

The rest of my force is 2x Svartalfa 2, 3x Procyon Quad (I like ProtoMechs so I actually have a point of minis for both of those), and a Kit Fox C (also never taken this before, but with the TacOps rules the active probe, ECM, and AMS are actually really good, so given it fits perfectly into the rest of the 6000 BV limit I'd be foolish not to take it)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

FishFood posted:

I was going to say, I actually enjoyed Exodus Road as a pretty fun space-spy thriller set in the craziest clan. I quite enjoyed the Twilight of the Clans series save for two extremely bad entries that threw the rest of them under the bus.

Prince of Havoc was EXTREMELY :effort: for the importance of the events it covered.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

General Battuta posted:

Prince of Havoc was EXTREMELY :effort: for the importance of the events it covered.

It is probably my least favorite Battletech novel, it just completely trashed the fun intrigue Gressman had set up in his books in favor of long passages of VSD thinking about how cool and smart he is. A huge wet fart of a conclusion, just absolute garbage.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Well, it IS a Stackpole book :v:

Nothing against the guy but goddamn his books didn't age well for me and Prince of Havoc is no exception

I'll always give credit to his trash canning Trent though. Yeah, nobody gives a poo poo about your petty vendetta and need to restore the "true" Smoke Jaguars, dude. Oh the true Smoke Jaguars that wholesale slaughtered their own starving civilians on Londerholm, that's a heritage worth keeping

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I actually really liked Trent as a character in Exodus Road; he's basically Worf, a guy who believes in all the supposed high-minded ideals of his insane society and is then confronted with lovely, brutal reality. Having VSD throw the guy away after his sacrifice enabled the whole operation felt stupid and bad.

I haven't read any of the later novels featuring Trent and I'm guessing Pardoe does absolutely nothing with the character, but I think he's actually really compelling in Exodus Road.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

FishFood posted:

It is probably my least favorite Battletech novel, it just completely trashed the fun intrigue Gressman had set up in his books in favor of long passages of VSD thinking about how cool and smart he is. A huge wet fart of a conclusion, just absolute garbage.

The worst part is that it's not even the conclusion of the series, they branded an unrelated novel as Book 8 to trick people into buying it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I remember reading this as a teenager and it's a book about how the Smoke Jaguar leadership is so effed up and brutal a single warrior takes revenge and turns traitor, thinking he is the real true Smoke Jaguar the whole time. Also dastardly Comstat helps turn said traitor. Basically Smoke Jaguar made their bed and suffers the consequences from a Clanner with a grudge.

You can definitely read BLP's politics in some of his other books, especially "Forever Faithful", but how do you get that from Exodus Road?

Currently reading Legacy about an old Grasshopper, and Shrapnel #15, looks like they're starting to review shrapnel submissions again, yay.
"The system has failed to reward the Designated Hero so him destroying the system is morally correct" is the core thesis of the book. The foreward straight up talks about writing "a traitor hero" and it's about a Smoke Jaguar who gets disillusioned with the Clan when he finds out that the system doesn't work like he thinks it does, and in fact may never have done, and as a result dishes the Exodus Road to Comstar so... yeah. He's also so obviously correct that even the "corrupt" parts of the system have to agree that he was the real president Bestest Smoke Jaguar all along, to the point of his nemesis eventually trying to cheese the Smoke Jaguars into being the ilKhan during the Jihad by scattering his ashes on Earth. The parallels are striking in retrospect.

As reads go it's pretty entertaining, but it's really obvious how Pardoe thinks the world works.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Thank you. I had been pointed to Strategic Ops earlier and while lots of aerospace stuff was in there, it wasn't focused on LAMs at all and I assumed I was just stupid. This is exactly what I'm looking for. My kid is a loving master negotiator though.
Sorry, that was me misremembering which book it was in.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I liked BLP's Impetus of War when I was a kid but as a non-American I wasn't able to identify how weird it was that the ultra-Scottish kilt-wearing, bagpipe-playing people who play up their Scottish accents when they want to make a point have named their dropships after Confederate leaders. I understand that BLP has a particular agenda but no one said "Blaine you have to name them after Scottish poo poo"?

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

FishFood posted:

I actually really liked Trent as a character in Exodus Road; he's basically Worf, a guy who believes in all the supposed high-minded ideals of his insane society and is then confronted with lovely, brutal reality. Having VSD throw the guy away after his sacrifice enabled the whole operation felt stupid and bad.

I haven't read any of the later novels featuring Trent and I'm guessing Pardoe does absolutely nothing with the character, but I think he's actually really compelling in Exodus Road.

Eh, this is not to excuse VSD but in characters who are leaders of societies of nationalist psychos and nobles yeah I get that Victor would not be exactly sympathetic to the traitor whose actions directly lead to destroying their own nation and who seems to be of the mindset "yeah they got what was coming to them"

I find the Worf comparison not all that fitting in Exodus Road. Trent never seems to have the realization that the reality of Clan society sucks he just thinks that he has to get rid of the bad apples above him. Worf at least realized that the whole Empire was hosed

And unfortunately you're completely off base in thinking BLP marginalizes Trent later on. In fact he doubles down every chance he gets and Trent is the paragon of several books where he's just the most awesome boy who ever warriored

A simple change to Exodus Road would be to just remove the blatant sabotage. Instead of using the cheap trick of "he's so good and right that they HAD to cheat to keep him down!" to manipulate the audience, why not just have these things occur in his life where we understand that Trent sees attacks on him but we're left a bit ambiguous as to if they're really trying to sweep him aside because he's a late 30 something in a society that treats any non blood named warrior over 40 as a complete waste of space

Edit: oh gently caress I forgot about dropships named like Stonewall Jackson lol iirc he does that in the god awful Archer Christifori FCCW books he did too

Holybat fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 3, 2024

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Holybat posted:

I find the Worf comparison not all that fitting in Exodus Road. Trent never seems to have the realization that the reality of Clan society sucks he just thinks that he has to get rid of the bad apples above him. Worf at least realized that the whole Empire was hosed

And unfortunately you're completely off base in thinking BLP marginalizes Trent later on. In fact he doubles down every chance he gets and Trent is the paragon of several books where he's just the most awesome boy who ever warriored

What I meant by "do nothing with the character" is that Pardoe doesn't have Trent grow and fully reject Clan society. Trent in Exodus Road is like a baby Worf, he's right on the cusp of realizing it's all stupid but isn't quite there yet.

A good followup would show Trent struggling with his decision, debating whether his betrayal was done simply out of pride and petty vengeance or if his grievances do go deeper, and then if they go deeper what that actually means about Clan society.

Based on the summaries I've read, Trent doesn't go through any of that and is just the Clannest-Clanner with the Mostest Honor and that sucks given the cool setup he had.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

In the Archer books he has Victor tell Archer "we're putting recruitment posters out there that compare you to Stonewall Jackson," which explains why absolutely nobody was fighting to put Victor on the Archon's throne.

FishFood posted:

What I meant by "do nothing with the character" is that Pardoe doesn't have Trent grow and fully reject Clan society. Trent in Exodus Road is like a baby Worf, he's right on the cusp of realizing it's all stupid but isn't quite there yet.

A good followup would show Trent struggling with his decision, debating whether his betrayal was done simply out of pride and petty vengeance or if his grievances do go deeper, and then if they go deeper what that actually means about Clan society.

Based on the summaries I've read, Trent doesn't go through any of that and is just the Clannest-Clanner with the Mostest Honor and that sucks given the cool setup he had.

Pardoe unironically thinks the Jaguars are really cool and have a lot of good ideas because both Pardoe and the Jaguars are basically nazis

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Archer "Stonewall Jackson" Christifori novels may not be the nadir of the series but between them and the first MWDA book they were the point where I stopped reading.

I know the Union-class is a Soyuz reference, but it's really skeevy with the inclusion of the plucky little Confederate-class with its superior armor and all-laser armament and suitability to guerilla campaigns and :barf:

At least the Lee-class was historically notable mostly for getting a whole lot of soldiers killed during the Amaris Coup. :v:

We don't know who named those DropShip classes but I feel like we can thank Pardoe for ruining a fun reference to the early space capsules.

Defiance Industries posted:

In the Archer books he has Victor tell Archer "we're putting recruitment posters out there that compare you to Stonewall Jackson," which explains why absolutely nobody was fighting to put Victor on the Archon's throne.

Yeah, it was because Victor wouldn't whip his black Clan slave woman in front of a crowd of angry military academy students.

Nevermind that one of his handlers should have probably told him "Hey, don't bring your elemental bodyguard to give a speech in front of these academy students. They are militant anti-Clanners and do not care about her history."

Stupid edit:
I feel like we are one short story / dramatic reveal away from Tiaret having had a child with Victor so that a descendant of Victor can be the leader of Neo-Clan Smoke Jaguar. I find the idea of Victor having children in/among every single polity as funny as the Wolf's Dragoons apparently do. Setting aside all the Steiner-Davions, there's now the Kurita-Davions, Marik-Davions, the Ward-Steiners (the Trueborn Steiner-Davions, lol), and Tiaret was the genedaughter of Lincoln Osis so a Nevversan-Davion would be particularly funny but Wolf's Dragoons have seen to it that every Inner Sphere Clan has access to that particular bloodline. We just need a secret Liao-Davion and Victor has the whole set. :v:

Double Stupid Edit:
House Kurita and House Magnusson need to step up their game. The Kurita-Nova Cats and Magnusson-Ghost Bears are kinda tame in comparison.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 3, 2024

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Arquinsiel posted:

"The system has failed to reward the Designated Hero so him destroying the system is morally correct" is the core thesis of the book. The foreward straight up talks about writing "a traitor hero" and it's about a Smoke Jaguar who gets disillusioned with the Clan when he finds out that the system doesn't work like he thinks it does, and in fact may never have done, and as a result dishes the Exodus Road to Comstar so... yeah. He's also so obviously correct that even the "corrupt" parts of the system have to agree that he was the real president Bestest Smoke Jaguar all along, to the point of his nemesis eventually trying to cheese the Smoke Jaguars into being the ilKhan during the Jihad by scattering his ashes on Earth. The parallels are striking in retrospect.

As reads go it's pretty entertaining, but it's really obvious how Pardoe thinks the world works.

That's a fair interpretation. I think Exodus Road worked a lot better when it stood alone and Trent literally was just betraying Clan society because he'd been slighted. As a teenager I never saw Trent as a truly heroic guy, he was just an angry warrior who was mad. Forever Faithful kind of ruined that because he wants to "restore" the real Jaguars, but what f'ed Trent up was the real Jaguars. They were major assholes, but before coming to the Inner Sphere, there were never anywhere for those wronged by their system to turn except the Dark Caste.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 3, 2024

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Franklin Osis watched his brother get mauled to death by a smoke jaguar, and only after he was sure his brother was dead did Franklin pull out a knife and kill the animal. Then he said "I am going to base my entire loving identity around that big fuckin cat."

How could a society based on this man's ideals EVER go astray, I ask you?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Holybat posted:

A simple change to Exodus Road would be to just remove the blatant sabotage. Instead of using the cheap trick of "he's so good and right that they HAD to cheat to keep him down!" to manipulate the audience, why not just have these things occur in his life where we understand that Trent sees attacks on him but we're left a bit ambiguous as to if they're really trying to sweep him aside because he's a late 30 something in a society that treats any non blood named warrior over 40 as a complete waste of space
To be fair, Pardoe does at least show how utterly batshit the Clans are by having Trent be regarded as totally over the hill at 30. You're absolutely correct that having Jez (a woman) continually cheat to steal Trent's position despite him regularly beating the poo poo out of her wasn't at all necessary. If Pardoe was more self-aware he'd probably have left it be more ambiguous and do like Thurston did with Aidan Pryde and have him actually question how many other warriors end up failing out due to one instance of bad luck and use that as motivation to tear down the whole system.

Pardoe unironically thinks the Jaguars are really cool and have a lot of good ideas because both Pardoe and the Jaguars are basically nazis
Funnily enough in his Highlanders books he makes it clear that he really doesn't think the Jaguars are cool at all. "Edgelord space-furries" was not what you'd usually see on a chart tracking someone's self-radicalisation but here we are.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

That's a fair interpretation. I think Exodus Road worked a lot better when it stood alone and Trent literally was just betraying Clan society because he'd been slighted. As a teenager I never saw Trent as a truly heroic guy, he was just an angry warrior who was mad. Forever Faithful kind of ruined that because he wants to "restore" the real Jaguars, but what f'ed Trent up was the real Jaguars. They were major assholes, but before coming to the Inner Sphere, there were never anywhere for those wronged by their system to turn except the Dark Caste.
The really interesting thing is the system isn't even "wronging" him, it's just Paul Moon going "I will beat the poo poo out of you if you complain" and that being how the Clans do. It doesn't matter that Trent has proof of Jez's bullshit, that proof would undermine the entire society so Paul Moon has to stamp it out, and if Paul Moon doesn't then the bigger elemental will.

Also Paul Moon is almost nine feet tall. Because why the gently caress not?

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

To be fair, Pardoe does at least show how utterly batshit the Clans are by having Trent be regarded as totally over the hill at 30. You're absolutely correct that having Jez (a woman) continually cheat to steal Trent's position despite him regularly beating the poo poo out of her wasn't at all necessary.

Having a literal Jezebel be the root of all the (smoke jaguar) evils was certainly a choice lol

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I find the idea of Victor having children in/among every single polity as funny as the Wolf's Dragoons apparently do.

Was the story thread about WD taking DNA samples from all the IS royalty that visited (ostensibly for their breeding program) ever followed up on, or just abandoned?

Because while I think it'd be kinda funny to have a 32nd Century Katrina/Sun Tzu/Hohiro milkshake Mechwarrior, it's not worth it at the cost of the inevitable IVS-D 2.0 stories

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

GD_American posted:

Was the story thread about WD taking DNA samples from all the IS royalty that visited (ostensibly for their breeding program) ever followed up on, or just abandoned?

Because while I think it'd be kinda funny to have a 32nd Century Katrina/Sun Tzu/Hohiro milkshake Mechwarrior, it's not worth it at the cost of the inevitable IVS-D 2.0 stories

Operation SERPENTOR

THIS I COMMAND!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GD_American posted:

The closest I can remember is Maeve Wolf, who is the gender flipped clone of Jaime Wolf "because lol". I have no idea why they thought that was a good idea.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Because only Jaime Wolf can lead the Dragoons!

Despite the fact that many other people also led the Dragoons without Jaime Wolf to hold their hand.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Because if a nepo-baby is going to lead the Dragoons, they wanted it to at least be a competent one.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Arquinsiel posted:

The closest I can remember is Maeve Wolf, who is the gender flipped clone of Jaime Wolf "because lol". I have no idea why they thought that was a good idea.

I love how the viewpoint character of that book was like "welp, I'm essentially deep dicking my Rule 63'd boss, but I'm ok with it"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
When you're a pseudo-Clanner tube babby I guess that's marginally less terrible than the incest other Clans get upto?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's probably Jade Falcon and Steel Viper specific. Most of the other Clans don't keep mono-bloodline Sibkos.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, it was because Victor wouldn't whip his black Clan slave woman in front of a crowd of angry military academy students.

Nevermind that one of his handlers should have probably told him "Hey, don't bring your elemental bodyguard to give a speech in front of these academy students. They are militant anti-Clanners and do not care about her history."

If Victor Steiner-Davion did something that WASN'T the politically tone-deaf thing to do, people would rightly complain he was being written wildly out of character :D.

(Though honestly I kind of like the modern read these days of Victor as "well-meaning but genuinely incompetent", you don't actually get too many protagonists written up that way so getting one by mistake is a nice bit of accidental realism for Battletech).

Franklin Osis watched his brother get mauled to death by a smoke jaguar, and only after he was sure his brother was dead did Franklin pull out a knife and kill the animal. Then he said "I am going to base my entire loving identity around that big fuckin cat."

How could a society based on this man's ideals EVER go astray, I ask you?

Point of order, if that's his original ideal I don't know that the Smoke Jaguars really "went astray", seems like being aggressive stupid rear end-wipes was in fact the desired result from the beginning there. I'm still wondering/dreading the new game making you play as an SJ; that's going to either be hilariously awesome or absolutely terrible to behold.

GD_American posted:

I love how the viewpoint character of that book was like "welp, I'm essentially deep dicking my Rule 63'd boss, but I'm ok with it"

Brian drove a Loki/Hellbringer for his Mech, his sanity and survival instincts were already pretty questionable anyway.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MadDogMike posted:

Point of order, if that's his original ideal I don't know that the Smoke Jaguars really "went astray", seems like being aggressive stupid rear end-wipes was in fact the desired result from the beginning there. I'm still wondering/dreading the new game making you play as an SJ; that's going to either be hilariously awesome or absolutely terrible to behold.

I don't mean astray from the ideals of its founder, more like astray from basic values that make you a worthwhile human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's probably Jade Falcon and Steel Viper specific. Most of the other Clans don't keep mono-bloodline Sibkos.
Even if they don't they aren't at all bothered about you finding your batchmates as a grownup and boinking away what with all the contraceptives they use. Clan society is all kinds of weird in a particularly "rational" way that I feel like Ayn Rand would really get on an instinctive level.

MadDogMike posted:

Brian drove a Loki/Hellbringer for his Mech, his sanity and survival instincts were already pretty questionable anyway.
:hmmyes: