Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

love to dial in to a meeting and half of the people are out sick and the other half sound like they're dying

[thank you for all the responses and words of encouragement to my earlier post]

Yeah my standup meeting for the weekly in person office day had someone coughing in the room progressively louder as the meeting went on.

Thankfully I don't live on the same continent as the office so I just get to hear it over speaker.

Oh yeah and one coworker was sick for 3 weeks and sounds like death now.

I find myself having to pair up and assisnt more and more people through what are relatively straight forward tasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Dren posted:

Kind of crack-pinging again today that not only are we in what looks to be a bigger wave than the first Omicron wave, public health is doing nothing and there is also NO loving NEWS ABOUT IT in the mainstream media.

There is in fact news in the mainstream media about it; that news is "if you're vaccinated you're fine, and if you get sick/die you were defective in some fashion"

Apr 7, 2003

One of my directors here was off camera during the standup yesterday because "the new year brought me a nice case of covid." She's a non-practicing MD.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

One of my directors here was off camera during the standup yesterday because "the new year brought me a nice case of covid." She's a non-practicing MD.

Vaxxed, relaxed now Pax'ed.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

Complications posted:

I doubt it's killing that many people per year, but given skyrocketing autism and suchlike rates probably from microplastics and PFAS I expect it'll be fascinating to find out what COVID infections in the womb and repeatedly later do to developing brains. Teachers think kids in the classroom are bad now, just wait another four or five years for the current crop of toddlers to get into the pipeline.

Anecdotal but my ex wife was pregnant when we both got Covid in September 2021, and miscarried pretty quickly afterwards.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Sounds like she practices what she preaches

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
lool

quote:

No. Your care team will be masking when they are directly interacting with you in clinical care locations, such as patient rooms. Masking will not be required in common areas. These include waiting rooms, hallways, lobbies, and non-clinical locations.

https://www.massgeneralbrigham.org/en/patient-care/patient-visitor-information/planning-your-visit/mask-policy

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Four years later and medical "professionals" still trying to rules-lawyer an airborne disease into submission. I mean I guess requiring any masking at all is an improvement over literally everywhere else in this doomed country.

I got an alert today that I have to take the "bloodborne pathogens" safety training module again for the fifth time working in an office where I have never seen blood yet everyone is visibly sick with airborne pathogens at all times.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
There are many things I could have quoted from this piece, but I think that line sums it up.

https://news.yahoo.com/former-nih-director-ignoring-collateral-050156025.html posted:

Former NIH Director: Ignoring 'Collateral Damage' Inflicted by COVID-19 Policies Was 'Really Unfortunate'
(..)
The folly of attaching "infinite value" to a life saved by government regulation should be obvious.
(..)

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Pingui posted:

There are many things I could have quoted from this piece, but I think that line sums it up.

“you can die so I can feel smug about believing I’m more free”

Apr 7, 2003

Pingui posted:

quote:

Collins, who ran the NIH from 2009 to 2021, was speaking at a Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, conference sponsored by Braver Angels, an organization that aims to "bridge the political divide" by encouraging civil discussion between people with different ideologies and partisan allegiances.

Encouraging civil discussion by rallying around the one thing all Americans lust for, death

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Utterly brutal, sorry friend :(

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Potato Salad posted:

that's kinda more of what I meant -- we're not going to actually collectively look at any of it and thus refuse to take any action whatsoever, because Even Tiny Changes Are Literally COMMUNISM!😱

Remind me, what did we do when climate scientists all showed their reams and reams of studies they did in the 90s?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Potato Salad posted:

bro we have collectively decided to take not one peek into what microplastics and PFAS water pollution are doing to every brain in humanity

we're not going to have a goddamn clue what <insert severe superantigenic infection that attacks essentially every tissue in the body> does to children's bodies

I think there are people who are having a look or more

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Pingui posted:

failed to quantify the infinite value of a life saved to the transient value of brunch

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Pingui posted:

:brainworms: Fans of fantasy rejoice, as the orcification of humanity continues unabated.
"SARS-CoV-2 Infection is Associated with an Increase in New Diagnoses of Schizophrenia Spectrum and Psychotic Disorder: A Study Using the US National COVID Cohort Collaborative (N3C)"

News article on the matter:

Archived link: https://archive.vn/XhjnF

Any word if the psychotic disorder is mild?

I wonder how many psychological ailments we're going to find out are post-viral in nature.

Raskolnikov2089 has issued a correction as of 17:42 on Jan 3, 2024

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Steve Yun posted:

https://x.com/cyfi10/status/1742273207913394519?s=46

Walgreens tracker is back

weirdly, positivity rate is down now that more people are testing

Some news coverage of COVID happened in december, a bare minimum amount, and more people started considering that maybe COVID still exists. That's my assumption. Especially given that a lot of people I interact with don't really have any problem testing and would wear a mask if asked, they just assume COVID is over because the authorities they trust told them that COVID is over. If public health somehow returned most people would at the very least be willing to mask up in healthcare settings and consider stuff like ventilation improvements. Not enough to make COVID go away, but enough to make it possible to be COVID safer if you wanted to be instead of the current state of being fed to the COVID mines at all times.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

plenty of people test themselves because they "heard" about covid, too

it's such a small sampling set anyway, combined with everyone's schizophrenic ideas about covid and illness, that it's hard to imagine it's super accurate

even before this wave started, the sampling size is already super small and selective

the best indicator is hospitalizations, as that's hard to fudge. unfortunately it's quite lagging, of course

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Coworker in a meeting this morning was talking about his "vacation sickness". It wasn't meant as a joke, just one of those things that's now seen as part of the cost of a trip to Aruba.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/daily-hospitalization-summary

included last year's comprehensive wave for comparison. rate is dramatically higher this year, starting a little later

still confirmed by everyone i know getting sick. even full open biden people talking about not going to restaurants.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Coworker in a meeting this morning was talking about his "vacation sickness". It wasn't meant as a joke, just one of those things that's now seen as part of the cost of a trip to Aruba.
yes, i talked to a friend last night who doubled back when suggesting we go out to eat, and suggested we don't or find a place outside because of "covid going around" (before i could even gesture toward my mask and remind her i don't eat inside).

the next part of the conversation was her mentioning that she would probably get sick on her upcoming vacation, and, kinda talking to herself, said she'd have to make sure she had a couple days after recover

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Lmao, JN.1.1 is surging everywhere and already there's a potential new variant brewing up. A recombinant of JN.1 and EG.5.1.1

XDD

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

lmao flo prices on amazon currently at an eye-watering 30 bucks a pop, just bought 10 more from that Australian pharmacy for a whopping 97 bucks instead, should be good for a couple years

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Any word if the psychotic disorder is mild?

I wonder how many psychological ailments we're going to find out are post-viral in nature.

I don't know, but considering the general state of mental health and the stigma attached in the US, I suspect it has to be pretty intense to be diagnosed within 90 days (or beyond for that matter).

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

pop pop pop pop goes all my friends with kids

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
well, I'm still testing negative somehow and my kids are finally testing negative so we're gonna have our make-up Christmas with my family today. I've had these last few days off and mostly stayed in so as to not risk getting sick. our new reality owns.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Thoguh posted:

Some news coverage of COVID happened in december, a bare minimum amount, and more people started considering that maybe COVID still exists. That's my assumption. Especially given that a lot of people I interact with don't really have any problem testing and would wear a mask if asked, they just assume COVID is over because the authorities they trust told them that COVID is over. If public health somehow returned most people would at the very least be willing to mask up in healthcare settings and consider stuff like ventilation improvements. Not enough to make COVID go away, but enough to make it possible to be COVID safer if you wanted to be instead of the current state of being fed to the COVID mines at all times.

Yeah, there was an extremely noticeable drop in COVID news coverage after the White House declared the pandemic over (immediately halving it at the very low end and it only went down afterwards). That is a large part of why my news posting has become much more erratic since then.

In November it started picking up a tiny bit, start and middle of December was markedly increased (to then drop to trickle between Christmas and New Years).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

NeonPunk posted:

Lmao, JN.1.1 is surging everywhere and already there's a potential new variant brewing up. A recombinant of JN.1 and EG.5.1.1

XDD

gonna hit the JNCO variant

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
my state variant charts are always 2 weeks behind and still don't have jn1 :(

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
with everyone popping hot, what’s the latest on pax reducing long covid? I tried twitter searching and it seems inconsistent.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
feeling more covid anxiety now than at anytime in 2020-21. all restrictions have been eliminated with entirely predictable results. it's so over.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

sonatinas posted:

with everyone popping hot, what’s the latest on pax reducing long covid? I tried twitter searching and it seems inconsistent.

Estimates depend on what you define as long COVID and the cohort. I have it in my mind that it is around a 50% reduction, which I think is from Al-Aly, with what that entails for the cohort.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

RealityWarCriminal posted:

feeling more covid anxiety now than at anytime in 2020-21. all restrictions have been eliminated with entirely predictable results. it's so over.

COVID? yeah. COVID was over Jan 20th 2021

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

sonatinas posted:

"long covid" is a constellation of like four or maybe five different different syndromes (autoantibodies and immune system dysregulation, viral persistance, microclotting, neurological damage, and direct acute illness damage to organ systems are all implicated) and pax probably helps reduce the likelihood of the ones that are associated with severe acute illness. so that's why you get super mixed results from different studies because how you construct the study influences the likelihood of seeing the specific symptoms that pax helps with.

Apr 7, 2003

also the tracking and every TV news channel is shrieking "EVERYTHING IS FINE STOP BEING A BIG SISSY AND GO REVENGE SHOP"

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

"long covid" is a constellation of like four or maybe five different different syndromes (autoantibodies and immune system dysregulation, viral persistance, microclotting, neurological damage, and direct acute illness damage to organ systems are all implicated) and pax probably helps reduce the likelihood of the ones that are associated with severe acute illness. so that's why you get super mixed results from different studies because how you construct the study influences the likelihood of seeing the specific symptoms that pax helps with.

ahh, but at what cost?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
new finance gimmick: mitigate covid by purchasing coughsets

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

bedpan posted:

ahh, but at what cost?

ill buy it at a high price heh heh

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2024-01-03/hospital-costs-soared-for-covid-patients-during-pandemic posted:

Hospital Costs Soared for COVID Patients During Pandemic
(..)
The average cost of COVID hospitalization increased from about $10,000 during the first weeks of the pandemic to more than $13,000 by March 2022, researchers reported Jan. 3 in the journal JAMA Network Open.

Patients with health risk factors like obesity or hemophilia tended to run up higher medical bills, as well as those who required more intensive medical treatments, researchers said.

For example, patients had much higher costs if they required ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation), an assisted breathing treatment used later in the pandemic, researchers said.

“Defining the cost of treating hospitalized people with COVID-19 is important to fully understand the financial impact of the pandemic and improving public health readiness for future challenges,” said lead researcher Kandice Kapinos, a senior economist at RAND.

During the first two years of the pandemic, 6.2 million Americans were hospitalized for COVID infection, researchers said in background notes.
(..)
Given these findings, the direct cost of caring for all 6.2 million hospitalized COVID patients in those two years could have been as much as $70 billion, researchers said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I mean, I'm with you. I've postponed going back to the gym for a little bit, back to masking in grocery stores, trying to minimize exposure.

That said, I feel like we've had big waves each holiday season, and then it subsides a bit. If you look at the NYS covid chart that was posted below the last three peaks are all in January.

This peak will pass also.

That's not to say that our entire covid "strategy" (or the absence of one) isn't totally hosed, but these peaks have happened the last few years and then dropped off.