Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

It's that or pay the licensing fee.

that entered public domain with steamboat willie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Weka posted:

I'm reading this as you yourself are a master of projection.

Sure.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

webcams for christ posted:

indistinguishable in form, content, and quality from Shen Yun

look bud, i'll have u know that the authentic national culture can only be preserved by a bunch of bitter rightwing political emigrés

also it's a complete coincidence that said national culture inevitably ends up being near identical to that of germany circa 1935-45

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cerebral Bore posted:

look bud, i'll have u know that the authentic national culture can only be preserved by a bunch of bitter rightwing political emigrés

also it's a complete coincidence that said national culture inevitably ends up being near identical to that of germany circa 1935-45

Alberta appears to be cursed.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Alberta appears to be cursed.

lol claiming a 3rd order connection to von Karajan wow you and me and almost everyone else in classical music

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
continuing my reading of "Contesting the Origins of the First World War", apparently there's a debate among WWI historians about the Schlieffen Plan.

on the one side we have the "traditional" understanding of the Plan: Germany would attack through Belgium, sweeping right to left into Paris, etc.; but more importantly, is the assertion is that there is a clear through-line from its original conception by Schlieffen in 1904, with various modifications until we get to 1914. And as a corollary, that the preparation, update, and inculcation of the Schlieffen Plan into and by the German General Staff is proof that Germany had been readying itself for an aggressive, preventative war against France + Russia for that entire decade

on the other side is the revisionist view: that Schlieffen wrote a memo in 1904 that was never really a fully fleshed-out plan, and that even the contents of this plan concerns itself with counterattacks against French and Russian troops entering German soil, and that this plan was assuming a 96-division German Army, at a time when they only had about 64 available, so it was unrealistic because a full third of the assumed manpower were simply "ghosts". And this is significant because if there was never really any kind of "Schlieffen Plan" as prior historiography has understood it, and that what was used in August 1914 was more of a "Moltke Plan", then it undermines at least some of the asserted aggression and militarism that's been imputed upon Germany

I found this particularly interesting because the primary advocate of the latter view is Terence Zuber, whose "The Mons Myth" I read in 2022, while on the other side of the debate is Gerhard Grosse, whose "The Myth and Reality of German Warfare" I read last year. It's not everyday I find myself having read so much about a topic to be in the middle of an on-going scholarly contention

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I have stridently refused to ever meet with the man, personally.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1742150234149449915

Did Germany really only give them 18 Leopard 2s

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
that's an equivalent of 36 leopard 1s

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

VoicesCanBe posted:

did germany move their tank repair capabilities into one of the nato baltic tripwire states? doesn't seem like something you'd do if you were genuinely concerned about the muscovite hordes overrunning evropa

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its still more tanks than challengers or Abrahams. Its incredible how little these have actually accomplished.

The US abrahms apparently died before even getting close to the frontlines do to transportation mishaps

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Paging punished turtle

https://twitter.com/SpaghettiKozak/status/1742547444448031216?t=ub7tpAZJ-9lJdiROlX-tTg&s=19

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

if the Kinzhals all got shot down how do they know they were aimed at apartment buildings?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

lmao, if you click through the quote of "Hey, @NYTIMES, or new orc times,..." it's just page after page of NAFO dog-avatar account quoting one another over and over posting up the same copypasta, some of whom have very few followers/following, but they're like 70% ukraine flags and fella accounts.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

VoicesCanBe posted:

German army is experiencing unforeseen problems in repairing tanks damaged fighting the Russians. Feel like we've done this one before.

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
The idiotic German government also thought they would have Navalny in office and everything wrapped up by Christmas, just like in 41.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
German AFVs as finicky garage queens chronically short on spare parts, some things never change

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

aww its a little pinwheel :3:

i bet if you spin it looks like a rainbow

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

These free market folks are going to be so happy that there's going to be competition for the sole superpower.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

they could call it the nu-s.s.r.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

loving LMAO

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Known tankie "newspaper" The New York Times

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

dead gay comedy forums posted:

If he wants to use the USSR as "actually we could consider it a Great-Russian feat", to employ it's symbolic representation to chauvinist means, it becomes a contradiction in reaction - a "nostalgia for revolution" that subverts the original intention. The reason for it being is that the USSR was greater than the Empire in the absolute sense, which leaves the Russian reactionary in this poor position. It's a very, very interesting historical situation I think

the rwapodcast reactionary freaks people linked in here are incapable of coming to terms with this, that the greatest (in every sense) russia has ever been was under the auspices of and because of communism and communists. owned

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Starsfan posted:

some good news for Ukraine to brighten all of your days:

https://twitter.com/CinC_AFU/status/1742154373977768319

After some concerns were raised about the Ukrainians not shooting down all of the incoming Russian missiles, the intercept rate has climbed back to 100%! The missiles and drones are NOT getting through.

Every Ukrainian downing of Russian hypersonic Kh-47M2 Kinzhal with the Patriot missiles will improve the Patriot missile intercept algorithm - and increase accuracy for all Patriot systems, a benefit for the US, the rest of NATO, and other Patriot AD users. The same goes for any RUS aircraft that is shot down. Data quality is high because it is live tested; it is not a desk job or theoretical calculation; this is data from a successful intercept. The value of the data is really high as it can kick the success rate in the long run from, let's say, 85 % to 99 % against a type of target, so if RUS in a continued war launches 20 low-yield tactical nukes using 47M2 Kinzhal against NATO targets, with improved data likely no missile makes it to target. If the data had been unimproved - 3 would have made it through AD and detonated. Therefore, providing UKR with Patriot missiles is an investment in any provider's defense and gives high defense ROI as the improved algorithm upgrades its existing systems.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

genericnick posted:

Russia isn't in Kiev at this very moment and they're still shelling poo poo in Donbass.

Russia isn't in my house either, but that doesn't mean that I can win a war against them!

Frosted Flake posted:

Are people ITT going back to the office on the 8th?

??? Do other places normally get the week after New Year's Day off?

I get more time off for holidays than most people due to working at a university, and it's still just Dec 22 - Jan 1 (this year, it can vary depending on the day of the week Jan 1 is).

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 20:49 on Jan 3, 2024

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

does this cover ukr psyops?
Ukrinform, Center for Countering Disinformation launching joint project ‘About the War’

www.ukrinform.net posted:

Ukrinform National News Agency of Ukraine and the Center for Countering Disinformation are launching a new joint project, About the War, which will cover the issues related to the front, fake news stories, influencers’ posts, and the urgent war-related problems.

The project presenters will be Deputy Head of the Center for Countering Disinformation at the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine, Lieutenant of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Andrii Kovalenko and Control Officer of the 12th Brigade ‘Azov’ of the National Guard of Ukraine Dmytro ‘Diplomat’.

The purpose of the project is to counter Russian disinformation campaigns, as well as openly discuss the most important war-related problems of society, and tell the truth about the army.

The first video of the project is airing on the platforms of Ukrinform and the Center for Countering Disinformation today, January 3, 2024, at 07:30 p.m.

A reminder that earlier, in cooperation with the Center for Countering Disinformation, Ukrinform launched the Kramatorsk Station project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxTx44j9gcw

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I enjoyed the Waldo books when I was a kid, despite being bad at them. Really feels like you've done something special when you find the hiding Waldos.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/01/vladimir-putin-has-declared-a-cyber-war-on-britain/

Putin has declared a cyber war on Britain

Thankfully we are ahead of the pack when it comes to protecting our elections

quote:

If you are already bored by the pre-election electioneering being mounted by UK political parties, then standby for global pre-election electioneering. This year over 2 billion people will vote for new governments across the globe: the US, the UK, Iran, India, Pakistan, Mexico, EU, Russia (a joke), Indonesia and a host of European nations. In short, a combined population of 49% of the world.

That will be good news for journalists and good news for campaigners who will benefit from the billions of pounds spent. But 2024 will also be like no other for the use of social media by those that want to destroy the rule of law and undermine democracy.

For years now, the Russian state has played a proactive and malign role in attacking elections held in the West. Get used to the terms “bots” “trolls”, “deep fakes”, and “dark web”. Trolls deliberately try and provoke online using facts or fiction, hoping to sow division, seeking to intimidate counter narratives on the internet. Russia even has a “troll factory” in St Petersburg specifically for that task. “Bots” on social media use automated software to repeatedly place disinformation anonymously. No prizes for guessing that China, Russia and Venezuela top the charts here.

Try to be on the lookout, if you can, for “deep fakes.” Artificial intelligence can now help generate images and videos that are incredibly believable. In the war in Ukraine, US politics and Gaza we have seen them being pumped onto social media by bots and the army of supporters of one side or another. Once established, people can’t help but share them if they represent what the reader wants to believe or if they collaborate a conspiracy.

And then there is the deep web. Think of the internet as a deep well of information. 90% of us get our news and information from the surface. But lurking in the depths are secrets and spies. If an adversary can release information into those depths, it knows that gossip and sensationalism will do the rest to infiltrate mainstream media. Russia has often used this method to spread Kompromat (hacked compromising information from a person or government) to destabilise elections. In 2017 Russia hacked one of Macron’s special advisors and released details of his views on political rivals two days before polling day. The unit alleged to be responsible was Russian GRU unit 74455.

Our last UK 2019 election saw Russia use the Reddit website to post selective excerpts of hacked UK trade talks details with the US. Jeremy Corbyn even went as far as to brandish them at a press conference.

Our precious democracy is thus under attack like never before. Conspiracy and extremes are magnified by social media. Politics gets ever more personal and angry. The good news is that the UK is ahead of the pack when it comes to protecting our elections. We have GCHQ as the vanguard. The UK’s biggest intelligence agency employs some of the finest brains in the world to seek out and spot the agents of state-backed misinformation and hacking.

The National Cyber Security Centre was set up in 2016 when I was Security Minister. The NCSC provides a single point of contact for SMEs, government agencies, public and business. We also established the Defending Democracy Taskforce in 2022, which is leading efforts to protect our elections.

But what tips can I give the readers? I recommend you stick with the mainstream media. While we may not always agree with the interpretation of the facts most mainstream media will agree on the facts themselves. But we must also expect those very same media outlets to keep us safe by asking them to question the provenance of their sources of information. And always demand, as a viewer or reader, that media outlets make clear who a contributor is and if they are paid or backed by one group or another. It is more important than you know.

Ben Wallace was secretary of state for defence 2019-2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

it is wild to me that people think vladimir putin, who quit the KGB as a colonel in Leningrad to support Sobchek during the failed 1991 coup to save the USSR, has any interest in communism. he literally owes everything he has to picking a side right then.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Officer Sandvich posted:

Every Ukrainian downing of Russian hypersonic Kh-47M2 Kinzhal with the Patriot missiles will improve the Patriot missile intercept algorithm - and increase accuracy for all Patriot systems, a benefit for the US, the rest of NATO, and other Patriot AD users. The same goes for any RUS aircraft that is shot down. Data quality is high because it is live tested; it is not a desk job or theoretical calculation; this is data from a successful intercept. The value of the data is really high as it can kick the success rate in the long run from, let's say, 85 % to 99 % against a type of target, so if RUS in a continued war launches 20 low-yield tactical nukes using 47M2 Kinzhal against NATO targets, with improved data likely no missile makes it to target. If the data had been unimproved - 3 would have made it through AD and detonated. Therefore, providing UKR with Patriot missiles is an investment in any provider's defense and gives high defense ROI as the improved algorithm upgrades its existing systems.

How much more can the algorithm be improved? Ukraine is already shooting down basically all the Kinzhals. The problem is the slovenly American crews that cause the Patriot to underperform when tested. Ukrainian Patriot crews under combat conditions are vastly outperforming American Patriot crews under test conditions.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"Ukraine's dwindling supply of Leopard 2 tanks aren't being repaired because Europe doesn't have enough spare parts, German politician says"

https://www.businessinsider.com/ukraines-leopard-tanks-russia-war-not-repaired-sebastian-schafer-germany-2024-1

Behold the mighty industrial heartland of Europe.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

it is wild to me that people think vladimir putin, who quit the KGB as a colonel in Leningrad to support Sobchek during the failed 1991 coup to save the USSR, has any interest in communism. he literally owes everything he has to picking a side right then.

Russia = Communism

That is it

Also he was a crony of Boris Yeltsin and was seen at the time by the west as a "safer" alternative to actual communists

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

8 years of Minsk accords clearly demonstrated that to be true.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

8 years of Minsk accords clearly demonstrated that to be true.

and that is the real hilarious part of the matter!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

thank you for your analysis :cheers: I really enjoy your posts.

Thank you :)

mila kunis posted:

the rwapodcast reactionary freaks people linked in here are incapable of coming to terms with this, that the greatest (in every sense) russia has ever been was under the auspices of and because of communism and communists. owned

lmao. Yeah, I mean, it's squaring a circle -- Great-Russians have to talk about WW2 as a feat only their Motherland could do, they bring up that even Stalin employed Orthodox symbolism as an argument (the restitution of the Order of Alexander Nevsky etc), but that line of thinking is strictly cultural in its presumption of some inherent supremacy that justifies Great-Russian thinking. They conveniently forget that Eisenstein directed Alexander Nevsky in 1938; Nevsky wasn't some exclusively Orthodox bit of history, it had become folklore, which the Soviet Union was all about working with (each Soviet republic had, for example, their own film production center which put a lot of effort into turning popular stories into movies)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

You mean in opposition to it then? IIRC, this Sobchek guy was the one who worked with Henry loving Kissinger in a transition commission or something of the sort

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

yes, i realize i phrased that strangely. should not have assumed a reader would remember sobchek and his views. putin was in east germany when it unified, then in leningrad when his boss tried to take over the country and he noped the gently caress out. rode sobchek's coattails to yelstin and then ... the rest is history

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

VoicesCanBe posted:

https://twitter.com/Historian_Matt/status/1742214237429157935

Because we all know tanks are just "off the shelves" items you order and they arrive next day in the truck with a smile on it.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

VoicesCanBe posted:

drat things must be truly bad if Poland can't even handle repairing a few tanks

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Its so funny they had 8 years to prepare and didn't bother any industrial planning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

DancingShade posted:

"Ukraine's dwindling supply of Leopard 2 tanks aren't being repaired because Europe doesn't have enough spare parts, German politician says"

https://www.businessinsider.com/ukraines-leopard-tanks-russia-war-not-repaired-sebastian-schafer-germany-2024-1

Behold the mighty industrial heartland of Europe.

Time to transform itself to a high fashion luxury good tourism economy.