Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Ambitious Spider posted:

If anyone does jump on that 30 days of showtime, I can't recommend Yellowjackets enough. It's basically Folk Horror Lost, and it rules.

I can't agree with your police work, there, Lou! I was totally into Yellowjackets a couple of episodes in, and I feel like it got REALLY stupid REALLY fast to the point that they had lost me completely before the end of the first season.

The soundtrack kicks rear end though.

Hollismason posted:

Recommend me some 1970s to 1980s creature features. I have today off. Within next hour or so otherwise i choose for myself.

Phase IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Prophecy is a good watch. Its hilarious. IT does have cool monster though.

IF anyone is doubting whether or not to watch it there is a scene where a sleeping bag gets knocked away and it hits a rock and the person inside it and the sleeping bag EXPLODE

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If you want an amazingly dumb 1988 horror movie starring a disinterested monster kitty, watch Uninvited next.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

moths posted:

If you want an amazingly dumb 1988 horror movie starring a disinterested monster kitty, watch Uninvited next.

I'm now watching The Giant Spider Invasion 1975 I forgot why i chose this

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Who needs a reason to watch a movie called The Giant Spider Invasion?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Bill Rebane rules. None of his movies are great or even good (except The Demons of Ludlow which I enjoyed a ton) but he's such a feisty guerilla filmmaker who by gum was gonna make some drat movies in Wisconsin and he didn't care what anyone thought! Love him!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Bill Rebane rules. None of his movies are great or even good (except The Demons of Ludlow which I enjoyed a ton) but he's such a feisty guerilla filmmaker who by gum was gonna make some drat movies in Wisconsin and he didn't care what anyone thought! Love him!

Have u watched the documentary about him? I'm assuming you have the arrow set

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

MacheteZombie posted:

Have u watched the documentary about him? I'm assuming you have the arrow set

Not yet - I do have the set but I wanted to watch them all before tackling the documentary and I still have The Alpha Incident to go. All his little interviews about each movie are really fun though. I saw they got comments from Mark Borchardt for the documentary so I'm pumped.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The Kindred (1987) is on youtubes and maybe the internet archives i think.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The part in Braveheart where Longshanks throws his gay son's lover out of a window is a bit suspect in retrospect.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

When you go back through Gibson’s films there’s definitely a pattern of gay/effeminate/androgynous villains or something like that. To be honest it’s an observation I remember being made after Passion when people were just like “uh, is this antisemitic?” So the details escape me. But like I said I think you can see the clues and hints now looking back. We just weren’t looking.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

The part in Braveheart where Longshanks throws his gay son's lover out of a window is a bit suspect in retrospect.

like everything from Braveheart is suspect in retrospect lol.

that said, plenty of people were calling that bit out in 1995.

edit: that also said, i do love Braveheart as a film even if it's very evidently the work of a psychopath.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 2, 2024

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Not yet - I do have the set but I wanted to watch them all before tackling the documentary and I still have The Alpha Incident to go. All his little interviews about each movie are really fun though. I saw they got comments from Mark Borchardt for the documentary so I'm pumped.

Nice, Alpha Incident was my second fav in the set (Demons of Ludlow being my fav).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Braveheart is also about as historically accurate as Labyrinth but it's a very effectively crafted film.

I love and hate that they chickened out on the Battle of Stirling Bridge, probably the most cinematic battle ever fought in Britain, by just having it take place in a field somewhere with no bridge in sight.

Which might've been the right call, they'd have drowned at least a dozen extras if they even came close to Blind Harry's bombastic account (200 years later).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

edit: that also said, i do love Braveheart as a film even if it's very evidently the work of a psychopath.

Low key why it works lmao

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Low key why it works lmao

high key why it works! sometimes you want to watch a movie that literally worships violence!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

True true

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Speaking of The Curse. Don't watch The Curse (1987), Will Wheaton explains why (spoilerd for trigger warning: abuse)

https://wilwheaton.net/2022/08/when...s-protected-us/

Hollismason posted:

I'm now watching The Giant Spider Invasion 1975 I forgot why i chose this

Go with Kingdom of the Spiders next.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I ended up bailing on The Giant Spider Invasion and just couldn't get into its low budget affair.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

with the Blumhouse buyout of James Wan's Atomic Monster, we are one step closer to the Malignant / M3GAN / Cobweb crossover universe we deserve

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

alf_pogs posted:

with the Blumhouse buyout of James Wan's Atomic Monster, we are one step closer to the Malignant / M3GAN / Cobweb crossover universe we deserve

Don’t forget chucky

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

drat why aren't there any Chucky crossover films? looks like there was a tentative one proposed with NoES, that idea seems ripe. ripe!!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Don teased chucky Vs M3gan

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

alf_pogs posted:

drat why aren't there any Chucky crossover films? looks like there was a tentative one proposed with NoES, that idea seems ripe. ripe!!

The most recent season of the show has an Amityville appearance that was really fun, but I'm also surprised we never got a full on crossover after Freddy vs Jason.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Recommend more creature features from the 80s and 70s. I have today off.

Currently watching Rawhead Rex

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

As always, I gotta recommend Razorback (1984), Aussie Jaws clone about a giant killer boar directed by the guy who made Highlander. It's wild and kinda brilliant.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I've always heard Alligator (1980) is a good movie, never got around to watching it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
ALLIGATOR owns and the stuff in DARK KNIGHT RISES where the cops get trapped underground is lifted directly from it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Next up is probably The Boogens.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

between Alligator, Piranha and The Howling, John Sayles should be our creature feature laureate.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Robert Forster is also sensational. Anything he stars in you should go out of your way to see.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Hollismason posted:

Next up is probably The Boogens.

From what I can remember the name is the only good thing about the movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

From what I can remember the name is the only good thing about the movie.

Yeah the trailer wasn't particularly good but I'll watch it because its something I've never seen before.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I remember Slugs from 1988 being equally unhinged and enjoyable.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Slugs absolutely rocks

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Recommend more creature features from the 80s and 70s. I have today off.

Currently watching Rawhead Rex

Blue Monkey

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

ruddiger posted:

Blue Monkey

Yeah okay this looks better than The Boogens.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hollismason posted:

I ended up bailing on The Giant Spider Invasion and just couldn't get into its low budget affair.

But the Packers won the Super Bowl!

I recently found out Giant Spider Invasion was shot with no script and for the giant spider movement they strapped it to a VW Beetle. That’s filmmaking baby.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

Yeah the trailer wasn't particularly good but I'll watch it because its something I've never seen before.

The book was better. Went into more details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

weekly font posted:

But the Packers won the Super Bowl!

I recently found out Giant Spider Invasion was shot with no script and for the giant spider movement they strapped it to a VW Beetle. That’s filmmaking baby.

Alan Hale’s scenes make so much more sense to me now - he was ad-libbing!

I want to throw Food of the Gods Part II into the creature feature pile.