Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

dreezy posted:

theres also like, way more completely dogshit music being "released" than ever. those bedroom recording secret genius amateurs are vastly outnumbered by the mediocre masses taking advantage of the low entry barrier. any dipshit can loop.

any dipshit can loop

any dipshit can loop

any dipshit can loop

any dipshit can -

LOOP LOOP LOOP BURRRRRWOW

OONTZA OONTZA OONTZA OONTZA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did Reddit finally nuke its readable layouts

I can’t seem to request desktop layout anymore

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
not to go to bat for boomer poo poo, but Chuck Berry, The Beach Boys, and Led Zeppelin were all talented artists making innovative music 1960-1979

but also yeah i dont want to hear stairway to heaven again in my life sooooooo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Led Zeppelin was not uh … innovative at all. Most of their popular songs are covers iirc

Beach boys were good tho

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Stairway will always be my Last Dance

- An Old Person

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

euphronius posted:

Led Zeppelin was not uh … innovative at all. Most of their popular songs are covers iirc

Beach boys were good tho

Wut?

Please elaborate. Tell me how they didn't revolutionize the genre!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The who were better at being Led Zeppelin than Led Zeppelin

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Off the top of my head whole lotta love and when the levee breaks are both covers (or reworking) of African American artists

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Stairway denied.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
drinking age of 18 had to help live music venues

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Stairway denied.

Lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You don’t get bangs like that anymore

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Led zeppelin did a lot of stealing songs from black artists with and without credit, but they also innovated on the styles of those songs and created some of the greatest, most influential classics in rock 'n' roll. For example, When the Levee Breaks was a cover, but also the drums in Led Zeppelin's version is one of the most sampled beats in all of musical history. In conclusion, led zeppelin are a land of contrasts

(i really like Stairway idc if it's overplayed)

edit: also they played songs about lord of the rings and that's cool deeply uncool but i like it

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 3, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm a major hater of all classic rock because I grew up in a house full of hippie musicians who would never stop blaring their radios and weedling their guitars and I was banned from listening to to anything except classic rock for the first 18 years of my life and as a result it's just all dumpster music that belongs in a trash can IMO.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm a major hater of all classic rock because I grew up in a house full of hippie musicians who would never stop blaring their radios and weedling their guitars and I was banned from listening to to anything except classic rock for the first 18 years of my life and as a result it's just all dumpster music that belongs in a trash can IMO.

I think your traumatic experience had an effect on your perception.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

euphronius posted:

Reddit has never been readable.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

deep dish peat moss posted:

I worked with a carpenter once who insisted the radio goes to new music, he was an older white guy so it caught me by surprise considering the rest the crew was obsessed with the classic rock station. "why would I listen to that? I've already heard those songs".

I put classic jams on some days, and otherwise pick up the daily discovery playlist and the weekly new music lists. Spotify was better for this and I may go back for it, Tidal doesn't do a great job promoting new songs to me I feel.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Time_pants posted:

Dude, they're smothered in millennial nostalgia. You think it's boomers buying Funko Pops, filling their houses with anime poo poo, spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on Pokémon poo poo, and getting hyped for remakes of 90s cartoons? I'd argue, as a generation, we millennials have even more pervasive and obnoxious nostalgia for the decades of our youth than any other generation.

Good

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Bozos talking about how "it's not real music if they're not playing their own instruments and singing original songs that they wrote themselves!" has gotten shittier.

Boomers at least worshipped music that was playing when they were making out for the first time. Now people are saying it about their parents' music.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

StormDrain posted:

I worked with a carpenter once who insisted the radio goes to new music, he was an older white guy so it caught me by surprise considering the rest the crew was obsessed with the classic rock station. "why would I listen to that? I've already heard those songs".

I put classic jams on some days, and otherwise pick up the daily discovery playlist and the weekly new music lists. Spotify was better for this and I may go back for it, Tidal doesn't do a great job promoting new songs to me I feel.

I pay too much for SiriusXm simply because its a good way to get actual new music.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

I pay too much for SiriusXm simply because its a good way to get actual new music.

You should keep paying otherwise they will send you infinite billion junk mail.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

:chloe:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I will say that as someone who really likes new music I assume anyone who isn’t has either followed a top 100 anime openings playlist on Spotify or worse cobbled together their own

I've never used Spotify in my life but I do listen to actual FM radio channels putting out new music, particularly the station aimed at younger people. Thanks government owned radio.

I think it's probably 80% poo poo, 19% mediocre and 1% good. Which is probably always how it has been. Today there's just a whole lot more of it even if the proportions remain the same.

Alex P Corn
Jun 4, 2005

be careful what you dream for

SOMEBODY SERIOUSLY SPENT TEN BUCKS ON THIS

Speaking of things getting shittier: I will never acknowledge that stupid "merger." Sirius won, XM is dead.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

euphronius posted:

You don’t get bangs like that anymore

I been thinking about cutting bangs like that lately. I’m mid 40s now, but I reckon I could still rock bangs like that. Maybe once summer is over, so they don’t stick to my forehead at work.

E: like Fiona MacDonald in the video for ‘Taller Than God’

https://youtu.be/gPHf81KpZis?si=FFp88pozeYIXoGQF

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

StormDrain posted:

I actually understand this. If you hear the same songs over and over you get sick of them. Growing up in the 80s and 90s things like car commercials would play the same songs repeatedly and to this day I can't stand them. Likewise my dad always listened to the local oldies station when I was a kid and that too was just the same few dozen songs which I still can't stand.

So I got to the point where I preferred any new music regardless of what it was or how good it actually was.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
It finally happened. I was so surrounded by lifted trucks with LED headlights this morning from every direction while trying to make an unprotected left at an intersection that I couldn’t actually see anything and had to just guess at if anything was coming and gun it and pray

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

It finally happened. I was so surrounded by lifted trucks with LED headlights this morning from every direction while trying to make an unprotected left at an intersection that I couldn’t actually see anything and had to just guess at if anything was coming and gun it and pray

See, small cars are unsafe. :smug:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wash bucket posted:

They generate profit.

~*the end*~

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/funko-pop-30-million-inventory-collectibles/

Looks like they don't even do that.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

euphronius posted:

old.reddit.com still works, thankfully.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Alex P Corn posted:

Speaking of things getting shittier: I will never acknowledge that stupid "merger." Sirius won, XM is dead.

XM was better and I miss it. The worst part on Sirius is the censorship. XM had some "clean" stations but they were clearly labeled and the vast majority played the original songs. Sirius it's a total crapshoot and even the edited stations are inconsistent. Like one station edits "goddamn" (to "drat", which is the same thing), but leaves "bitch" alone. Between those two we're keeping the slur? Ok thanks. That Meredith Brooks song is a banger but I don't need my toddler singing along to it; that's why I picked a "clean" station for this drive. And then other places there's no uncensored options at all. There were like 30 Christmas stations this year and every single one of them was censored. It's the 21st century, you can sing "bring us some loving pudding".

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I was just checking out pictures of a light-up drone display, and I know this is me just being old, but gently caress drones. What a loving stupid waste of electricity and circuit boards. I know you can say the same thing about fireworks or whatever, but I don't know I hate them. We're so obviously past the point of sustainability and the world is dying and some nerd is jerking off at the idea of building a fleet of ten thousands drones to paint star wars murals in the sky just gently caress off with this come on please.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Drone displays are backdoor advertising by the arms industry to sell the decision makers on flying swarms of explosives and spies also coming soon to a police force near you!

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Salt Fish posted:

I was just checking out pictures of a light-up drone display, and I know this is me just being old, but gently caress drones. What a loving stupid waste of electricity and circuit boards. I know you can say the same thing about fireworks or whatever, but I don't know I hate them. We're so obviously past the point of sustainability and the world is dying and some nerd is jerking off at the idea of building a fleet of ten thousands drones to paint star wars murals in the sky just gently caress off with this come on please.

i think of all the things you could strap to them and all the places they could fly and im glad no domestic terrorists have the same ideas!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sentient Data posted:

Drone displays are backdoor advertising by the arms industry to sell the decision makers on flying swarms of explosives and spies also coming soon to a police force near you!

Yeah, apparently drones are patrolling the nearby interstate and sending out speeding tickets. Yay.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, apparently drones are patrolling the nearby interstate and sending out speeding tickets. Yay.

As someone who lives in a lawless Road Warrior wasteland and has been physically hosed up by lovely, reckless drivers I am actually super into this. We need some sort of enforcement because I'm tired of narrowly avoiding collisions every goddamn time I'm on the highway. I'm already disabled enough, the next entitled dipshit that rearends me could ruin my life forever.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Why don't they just install localized governors on all car engines? You'd be able to cut the police budget in..... oh.... I see.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Why don't they just install localized governors on all car engines? You'd be able to cut the police budget in..... oh.... I see.

While we're at it let's lock all non-navigational or hands-free mobile apps when traveling above 20mph, there's no goddamn reason Pokémon Go should be the loving vanguard of responsible phone/vehicle use.

Sorry y'all, I get real hot about car culture in the US. It's the loving pits.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

Now that I think of it, SA is where I get random music recommendations. I remember learning of a few like the metal band Goblin Cock, Mark Ronson and the Business International (Bang Bang Bang is... a banger), and Argentine rock band Eruca Sativa who I really, really like. I wish I understood Spanish.

Still way behind the times though.

Anyone remember the Yellow Bentines? I think that was some goon's band he posted on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Modal Auxiliary posted:

While we're at it let's lock all non-navigational or hands-free mobile apps when traveling above 20mph, there's no goddamn reason Pokémon Go should be the loving vanguard of responsible phone/vehicle use.

Sorry y'all, I get real hot about car culture in the US. It's the loving pits.

You are aware that vehicles often have passengers, right?